Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jokes aside we seem to always put ourselves under pressure in the last 15-20 mins of a match. We can seem to keep a high level for 90 mins and even the periods we are on top we look sloopy. The Watford win was by the book but largely unimpressive.

I'm convinced we'll be in a battle with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th come the end of the season. If we have another nightmare december we could finish outside top four. The top three just look to be stronger than the following pack right now, Sarri's got off to a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jokes aside we seem to always put ourselves under pressure in the last 15-20 mins of a match.  We can seem to keep a high level for 90 mins and even the periods we are on top we look sloopy.  The Watford win was by the book but largely unimpressive.

I'm convinced we'll be in a battle with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th come the end of the season.  If we have another nightmare december we could finish outside top four.  The top three just look to be stronger than the following pack right now,  Sarri's got off to a great start.
    Way to early to tell what will happen, Its very early early days,
    I think United will finish Second, (and I'm a Liverpool fan )
    One thing that I would question and that how long does Alexis have before Jose drops him, he has been horrible since he joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jokes aside we seem to always put ourselves under pressure in the last 15-20 mins of a match.  We can seem to keep a high level for 90 mins and even the periods we are on top we look sloopy.  The Watford win was by the book but largely unimpressive.

I'm convinced we'll be in a battle with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th come the end of the season.  If we have another nightmare december we could finish outside top four.  The top three just look to be stronger than the following pack right now,  Sarri's got off to a great start.
    Way to early to tell what will happen, Its very early early days,
    I think United will finish Second, (and I'm a Liverpool fan )
    One thing that I would question and that how long does Alexis have before Jose drops him, he has been horrible since he joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

bangkok wrote: »
    Decent for 40 min?

Judge players over 90mins... he was prob our 2nd best player after fellaini

Sanchez was crap for the whole game

Sanchez will be gone too, we’ve caught him in his Torres stage. I doubt he will ever play at a high level again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Looking forward to Wednesday.

CL games always had the ability to lift the morale. Young Boys are in flying form but you would still imagine us to leave with a win.

Also anyone see this quote from Wayne Rooney about Memphis
    "So, Louis van Gaal made him play for the reserves next day. I said,'Look, its a bit difficult. Just don't come in with all your fancy stuff.'

And he turned up for the reserve game in his Roll-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. And I just thought, 'Whats the point?'

But Memphis is a lovely lad and its good to see things going well for him now."

-Wayne Rooney

Be interesting to see how Memphis does on his return to Manchester this week. City will be a tough task for Lyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

hopefully we make full use of the squad this week...

team for wed night

de gea

darmian
    bailly
    smalling
    shaw

pereira

fred
    pogba

mata
    lukaku
    rashford

Really hope Shaw kicks on from where he left off. Would be a big confidence booster.

Also would like to see Pereira playing, still mad he was the first non-Brazilian born to represent them in nearly 100 years.

Jury is still out for me regarding Fred, want to see more from him but I hadn't watched much of him before he joined so not sure what I should be expecting.

Matic will be suspended for next weekend so I'd imagine he will start midweek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Could do with getting as many points as we can we don't want to be going to Valencia on the last night needing a result and having to play Liverpool that weekend after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

hopefully we make full use of the squad this week...

team for wed night

de gea

darmian
    bailly
    smalling
    shaw

pereira

fred
    pogba

mata
    lukaku
    rashford

Dont think he will make many changes tbh.

Zero Chance Pereira starts. Matic will be in there. And believe Shaw will be rested again so Young for him.

He will not take Young Boys for granted though so I reckon Sanchez (for Mata) and Valencia (for Darmian) will play as well.

damowill wrote: »

Zero Chance Pereira starts. Matic will be in there. And believe Shaw will be rested again so Young for him.

He will not take Young Boys for granted though so I reckon Sanchez (for Mata) and Valencia (for Darmian) will play as well.

I'm hopeful Shaw will start. It was said that he would be available for selection for the game and many reports coming out today that he is in line to start.

Obviously if he's not ready they wont start him but if he is fine the most important thing is him getting out there and continuing where he left off.

damowill wrote: »

sanchez will do well to keep his place in the team, he has been very poor

Bit on conjecture from me but I feel that until Fred gets regular football shaws time could be limited, I purely basing that off that I feel the club is putting a lot of work into set plays and besides Fred, young is the only one that seems capable of producing some quality regular.

Something I'll be looking out for going forward at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I hope he gives Chong some gametime but it will probably just be Mata.

Maybe an attack of

Matic or Pereira
    Fred - Pogba or Herrera

Chong - Lukaku - Rashford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just noticed Evra will be on League of their Own this Thursday.

Should be a very good laugh :D

If we are dropping someone surely it should be a starter who has been dispossessed the most time and most most dribbled past player

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I hope he gives Chong some gametime but it will probably just be Mata.

Maybe an attack of

Matic or Pereira
    Fred - Pogba or Herrera

Chong - Lukaku - Rashford

doubt we will see chong at all this season

Lads,what about those shirts on Saturday? They were horrible,can't see to many of them being sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Some of the lineups being posted - does anyone really think Jose is going to play youth team players in the first round of the Champions League group stage, especially considering the other teams in the group? It'll be the same team we see every week, maybe with one or two changed to suit the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Some of the lineups being posted - does anyone really think Jose is going to play youth team players in the first round of the Champions League group stage, especially considering the other teams in the group? It'll be the same team we see every week, maybe with one or two changed to suit the opposition.

Get the points on board and then don't worry about the last game or 2 however it pans out

I don't see what's wrong with playing 1 youth player in a position we are seriously lacking in. Surely if they are good enough they are old enough.

If we are dropping someone surely it should be a starter who has been dispossessed the most time and most most dribbled past player

I imagine this is aimed at Pogba.

It's that classic stat debate we have here all the time, and I love stats but those in isolation for reasons to drop a player are pointless really. Using those stats in isolation Palace would be dropping Zaha, and Pool dropping Salah.

It is also worth pointing out the amount of touches Pogba has for us, he's on the ball more than anyone else. Can argue in relation to his position and the amount of times he's given it away compared to others but also worth noting the different role being asked.

I get a lot of people don't like him and want him gone but I don't think he's been nearly as bad as some have suggested. Hasn't reached his potential but still has done enough to warrant his place. But that's just my opinion on him.

Adamocovic wrote: »

It's that classic stat debate we have here all the time, and I love stats but those in isolation for reasons to drop a player are pointless really. Using those stats in isolation Palace would be dropping Zaha, and Pool dropping Salah.

It is also worth pointing out the amount of touches Pogba has for us, he's on the ball more than anyone else. Can argue in relation to his position and the amount of times he's given it away compared to others but also worth noting the different role being asked.

I get a lot of people don't like him and want him gone but I don't think he's been nearly as bad as some have suggested. Hasn't reached his potential but still has done enough to warrant his place. But that's just my opinion on him.

Apologies while I did find it interesting, my comment about being dropped was tongue in cheek (i shoulda used the :pac:) I totally agree with you about how stats can be used.

All that being said its still too high a number for a player playing centrally, its not as bad given how much dribbles with the ball but then that raises the question is he doing that too much.

I think Pogba frustrates a lot of people by doing high risk things at inapropraite times that puts the team under pressure when they don't come off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I don't see what's wrong with playing 1 youth player in a position we are seriously lacking in. Surely if they are good enough they are old enough.

What evidence is there that Chong is good enough though? Hes not good enough to make the bench for league games, why would he suddenly be propelled into the starting lineup for a champions league game? Id be surprised to see him start a league cup game based on the managers past form, I really would.

I havent seen anything of him to comment in his quality, but the criticism of Jose to date has been his reluctance to rotate. There is literally zero chance he bucks that trend, especially so drastically, in the CL while points are needed. Not criticising your opinion, I just think theres no chance of it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    Not been funny but do you remember how bad mkhitaryan was before he left? Sanchez may not be doing that well now but if prefer his work rate in and around the team anyday before take miki back.

Mhiki was still ranking as our top chance creator MONTHS after he left and was playing with Arsenal. Along with some other key attacking numbers.

Atleast when Mhiki was playing well, he was tangibly contributing. Seen nothing from Sanchez yet. This is all without the additional problems his signing has or will cause.

Appreciate your point on the work rate thing. I personally believe that's all blustery posing from Sanchez, as I generally dislike how he conducts himself and think it's mostly for the crowd. But totally accept thats just my take on it.

All could come well, it's early days in the season. But the full pre-season and summer off hasn't looked to have helped. Looks slower and weaker than his Arsenal peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Catching up on loads of pages from the last bit I read on Saturday, liking a few posts, quoting for a few responses, all going fine ....
    BMMachine wrote: »
    I mean those admins that enjoy videos of women putting fish in their vagina's have a lot of great stuff to say

WHAT THE **** HAPPENED HERE AND WHERE DID THIS COME FROM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Adamocovic wrote: »

I genuinely thought it was aimed at Sanchez until I read the 'most dribbled past player' bit. :o

Turtwig wrote: »
    I genuinely thought it was aimed at Sanchez until I read the 'most dribbled past player' bit. :o

No Sanchez gives it up easy he actually gives the ball away the most at least you have to win it off POgba :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Catching up on loads of pages from the last bit I read on Saturday, liking a few posts, quoting for a few responses, all going fine ....

WHAT THE **** HAPPENED HERE AND WHERE DID THIS COME FROM

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Apologies while I did find it interesting, my comment about being dropped was tongue in cheek (i shoulda used the :pac:) I totally agree with you about how stats can be used.

All that being said its still too high a number for a player playing centrally, its not as bad given how much dribbles with the ball but then that raises the question is he doing that too much.

I think Pogba frustrates a lot of people by doing high risk things at inapropraite times that puts the team under pressure when they don't come off

That's a fair assessment, sorry.

Yeah Pogba can frustrate even his biggest fan. For us he's been hit or miss at times, has the ability to open the game up but then can look sloppy for large parts.

Has not performed as well as he's capable of or how well we want/need him to but still has definitely shown and done enough in my opinion to earn his starters role. If it gets to the point where he contributes nothing and only causes us grief then it changes.

I know some say he's overrated, maybe he is, but he's the sort of player we are finding out that when he's got great support players, ones who can take charge of the attack, he looks brilliant and can be a great leader. For us he's been looked at to carry most of load, creativity wise and expected to be the deciding factor of our games.

Now the team around him is far from terrible but maybe it's turning out that he just isn't at the level or mentality to carry that much of the responsibility. I was hoping Sanchez would step in and take on a lot of the work but it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it will click at some point but who knows.

Maybe it's a stupid point of view, but just how I look at it. Pogba has looked outstanding when he's surrounded by great players in the past and with France. I don't now if I would say he is overrated for that but I think we may have expected him to have too much of an impact on our team. Easy to say now I know, but if a few of the players, particularly in attack can find some form or up their games I think we would see him shine again.

Certain players e.g Giroud, Benzema, Busquets, make others play much better. Other players need support players around them to really flourish. Pogba is one of the latter. I don't think he can be blamed for it, it's just the type of player he is. If United got one World Class midfielder to be the pivot then Pogba probably look amazing. As it stands he's being asked to do something that really doesn't seem within his attributes. Though that is most certainly not to say he can't acquire them.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Certain players e.g Giroud, Benzema, Busquets, make others play much better. Other players need support players around them to really flourish. Pogba is one of the latter. I don't think he can be blamed for it, it's just the type of player he is. If United got one World Class midfielder to be the pivot then Pogba probably look amazing. As it stands he's being asked to do something that really doesn't seem within his attributes. Though that is most certainly not to say he can't acquire them.

Surely the most basic attribute for any professional footballer is to try your best.

Pogba was good the weekend but he went missing at times in second half I don't care what anyone says and yes maybe I'm wrong and others are right but noway does pogba put in the same effort for United consistently like he for a for France.

It's not just pogba other players look more up for it in national teams them they do for United lately but so he u it's players play out of their skin for the club too. They may not be the best or naturally as gifted as pogba but they work hard every game I'd put lukaku, fellaini, mata, Herrera, smalling, Valencia, young, de gea

Not criticising your opinion, I just think theres no chance of it happening.

Oh I would agree with this manager but there is still a 0.5% chance of him getting a game. I can only live in hope at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Lads,what about those shirts on Saturday? They were horrible,can't see to many of them being sold!

They're not so bad with black shorts - like in the Burnley game.

But coupled with the pink socks/white shorts combo as on Saturday, it really is a terrible kit.
    Really anaemic looking

BRIGHTON
    BRIGHTON

Bloody

BRIGHTON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Zeek12 wrote: »
    They're not so bad with black shorts - like in the Burnley game.

But coupled with the pink socks/white shorts combo as on Saturday, it really is a terrible kit.
    Really anaemic looking

All three kits have dark shorts, this season, so the white shorts will be thrown in as a mix 'n match a few times this year I'd say.

I wasn't a fan of the pink kit.

But we have 2 wins in it from 2 so it's kind of growing on me.

Bailly linked with a move away from the club

• Shaw linked with a move away from the club because he didn't play last week - oh wait I just made that up like the Daily Mirror

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who's Dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Who's Dead?

Elvis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Elvis.

allegedly

Shaw linked with a move away from the club because he didn't play last week - oh wait I just made that up like the Daily Mirror

Dont shoot the messenger

• bangkok wrote: »
    Dont shoot the messenger

The Daily Mirror? I will shoot all I want

giphy.gif

I hope they both have great games if they start.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1042021207179251715?s=19

I hope they both have great games if they start.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1042021207179251715?s=19

I think Dalot will surprise a few :)

I think Dalot will surprise a few :)

I doubt he will surprise many as he is pretty much an unknown quantity, very few would have seen him play more then a handful of times, predicting how he will step up to the first team would be merely guesswork

I doubt he will surprise many as he is pretty much an unknown quantity, very few would have seen him play more then a handful of times, predicting how he will step up to the first team would be merely guesswork

He will be a good surprise. Fast, strong and a good crosser of the ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

#connectionswithporto
    #family/friendbasedthere
    #fullofit
    #spoofer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement