Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I've read it all now. Apparently he was our best attacking player

Who outplayed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Article 50 Yellow and red cards
    50.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next match in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League or UEFA Super Cup).
    In case of serious offences, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body is entitled to augment this punishment, including by extending it to other competitions.

Ronaldo will be back for the game at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What was wrong with his performance tonight? He started the game slow, as you'd expect for a player not in the first team and gradually grew into it. He was brilliant in the 2nd half. Starting moves, creating chances, relieving pressure on the defence, and got a well deserved goal.

Yeah. Sure.

Yeah. Sure.

Great point. Try parking your anti-Martial/Rashford bias and watching a game objectively sometime.

• Who outplayed him?

Paul Pogba
    Lukaku
    Fred
    Dalot & Shaw out wide

He outplayed Rashford, says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Getting heartburn watching Sourness, the bitterness is pouring out of the telly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was quite a Martial performance actually. He got a goal and in months to come people will point to the stats and the goal record and question why he isn't an automatic first choice.

But the actual performances themselves don't match that narrative. No manager could have that game on in the background and consider Martial first choice after a performance like that.

And so it has been for years now.

He actually didn’t look arsed at all for a large part of the game. Not bothered unless the ball landed at his feet. Fred constantly covering for him both in defensive and attack8ng positions.

Like a few of them at the club, bags of talent but totally anonymous for huge chunks of the game. Poor attitude and aptitude.

• nullzero wrote: »
    Getting heartburn watching Sourness, the bitterness is pouring out of the telly.

What's that lemon saying
    I'm on BT thank christ

Paul Pogba
    Lukaku
    Fred
    Dalot & Shaw out wide

He outplayed Rashford, says it all really

I don't disagree with you regarding Shaw and Fred, but when I said attacking player I meant the actual attackers. Lukaku wasn't up to much tonight. Don't know how you can honestly say he outperformed Martial.

• adox wrote: »
    He actually didn’t look arsed at all for a large part of the game. Not bothered unless the ball landed at his feet. Fred constantly covering for him both in defensive and attack8ng positions.

Like a few of them at the club, bags of talent but totally anonymous for huge chunks of the game. Poor attitude and aptitude.

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Great point. Try parking your anti-Martial/Rashford bias and watching a game objectively sometime.

There's been one game tonight, not much interested in playing another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pogba 72 touches tonight, all over the pitch, 2 goals 1 assist

fantastic

• I don't disagree with you regarding Shaw and Fred, but when I said attacking player I meant the actual attackers. Lukaku wasn't up to much tonight. Don't know how you can honestly say he outperformed Martial.

De geas second outball was to Lukaku
    He held up and retained possession

Martial covered no ground in the first half in particular, Fred had to cover for him.

He was lazy and lost possession multiple times

Pogba and Fred done the damage in the first half when it actually mattered

When the game was stretched in the second half Martial decided to do something

So yes he was most definitely not our best attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba 72 touches tonight, all over the pitch, 2 goals 1 assist

fantastic

Against vastly inferior opposition it's the least you expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What's that lemon saying
    I'm on BT thank christ

Typical stuff about the quality of the opposition, nobody played well for United etc... Rinse repeat

Glazers Out!

Jose said pogba was "class"

:)

Also said again Dalot is the best young rb in Europe

rob316 wrote: »

Not always that easy, Fred was poor

Would like to see martial keep his place now v wolves, try get a run going in the team get his confidence up. Leave sanchez on the bench, lingard on right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If we can't take joy out of a 3-0 win, away from home in the CL (only our 4th of which in 15 games) on a pitch that many questioned, what can we take joy in this season?

Happy out with this evening.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    If we can't take joy out of a 3-0 win, away from home in the CL (only our 4th of which in 15 games) on a pitch that many questioned, what can we take joy in this season?

Exactly.

Glory glory man utd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I thought the pitch was at fault for the majority of poor possession when it happened, ball seemed to bobble a lot and run away, most of those touches on grass would have been perfect. I hate astro pitches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Great result and start to the CL.

One downside, that jersey looks awful with white shorts and white socks :eek:

• astradave wrote: »
    I thought the pitch was at fault for the majority of poor possession when it happened, ball seemed to bobble a lot and run away, most of those touches on grass would have been perfect. I hate astro pitches

Astrodave hates astropitches

Il get my coat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All round happy and comfortable evening.

Agree with the sentiment on Martial, but I thought it was good management leaving him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Great result and start to the CL.

One downside, that jersey looks awful with white shorts and white socks :eek:

I think they look worse with the black shorts when they aren’t tucked in. The black at the bottom makes the players look like they have their shorts Simon Cowell style. Nearly up to their nipples. Very off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How did Dalot get on tonight?....did he get forward and get some crosses in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

TheDoc wrote: »
    All round happy and comfortable evening.

Agree with the sentiment on Martial, but I thought it was good management leaving him on.

You alright man, 2 sentences? "Good management"

Think The Doc has been hacked

:pac:

Yep, did very well. A solid debut

Also if the win wasn't good enough Mempis Depay pulling strings to hand City a defeat. Lovely way to end the day.

• Advertisement

A very good...dare I say surprising debut

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1042523162716467201

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Yeah very good he was fast and strong and good cross surprised everyone to be honest..

A very good...dare I say surprising debut

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1042523162716467201

Extremely confident in himself as well which is good to see. Presume the next time we see him will be at home to derby in the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeah very good he was fast and strong and good cross surprised everyone to be honest..

MFW he whipped in a peach of a cross after about 1 minute

giphy.gif

I don't disagree with you regarding Shaw and Fred, but when I said attacking player I meant the actual attackers. Lukaku wasn't up to much tonight. Don't know how you can honestly say he outperformed Martial.

'Pogba stars in United stroll'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11502413

Martial was rated higher than both lukaku and rashford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Pogba has done anything at United it’s showing up against the Mickey Mouse teams.

If you take his performances in isolation in the europa league etc you would think he we had a very good performer but sadly he will be back to normal at the weekend more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

How many times does the one person have to give his opinion on the same player in the same game lol it's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So good win

Depay has a buy back clause eh hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Video doesn't show it but he did actually state in the pre match interview for BT Sport.

"Manchester is red."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dalot's interview was interesting I think. He seems very confident and at ease with his position in a top team. Most English players of his age in a post match interviews generally look very nervous but he is smiling and speaking in a manner of which he believes that it's only a matter of time before he is first choice.

It really surprised me.

• If Pogba has done anything at United it’s showing up against the Mickey Mouse teams.

If you take his performances in isolation in the europa league etc you would think he we had a very good performer but sadly he will be back to normal at the weekend more than likely.

Utd are playing Wolves not Real Madrid

My favorite bit last night was the reaction online after Dalot's interview.

I know it's silly but comments were all about how not only will Valencia be fuming of competition but also the fact that Dalot has better English than him and has only been at the club for 4 months compared to nearly 10 years for Antonio. I know they teach English in Portugal but the surpise to how well he spoke was gas I thought.

'How Dalot impressed on United bow'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11502770

Dalot was excellent last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

rob316 wrote: »

The least you expect is 2 goals and an assist from a midfielder?

I mean, I'm not Pogbas biggest fan but the expectations of what he should be doing on a game to game basis are crazy

Edit: Just to add, I think the likes of himself, Lukaku and Fellaini are massively penalised because of their strength. Get fouled so often but because they try to hold onto the ball and don't collapse in a heap under pressure. He had to eventually start flopping last night to get obvious fouls given against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Was fairly pleased with last night but as with the Burnley game, it's difficult to know how much to take from it given the opposition.

Would like to see Martial given a run in the team. Thought he played decent last night but more so he showed how he can offer something different attacking wise than anyone else we have i.e. he's willing to receive the ball but instead of immediately laying it off he'll turn on it and go at the full back. We may have Rashford and Sanchez who should also technically be capable of that but both are a million miles away currently from where they should be and various misgivings aside, Martial is probably the best option.

• Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Was fairly pleased with last night but as with the Burnley game, it's difficult to know how much to take from it given the opposition.

Would like to see Martial given a run in the team. Thought he played decent last night but more so he showed how he can offer something different attacking wise than anyone else we have i.e. he's willing to receive the ball but instead of immediately laying it off he'll turn on it and go at the full back. We may have Rashford and Sanchez who should also technically be capable of that but both are a million miles away currently from where they should be and various misgivings aside, Martial is probably the best option.

Utd played Watford last week and were top of the league last week.
    I don't get the idea that this is some inferior / greater opposition thing. It's just about consistency of performances regardless of opposition both collectively as a team and also each individual player.
    Utd have proven they can beat anyone in the top 6 for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Utd played Watford last week and were top of the league last week.
    I don't get the idea that this is some inferior / greater opposition thing. It's just about consistency of performances regardless of opposition both collectively as a team and also each individual player.
    Utd have proven they can beat anyone in the top 6 for a few years now.

Top of the league??

It's normal to consider the level of opposition I would thought when appraising a performance. A convincing win against Wolves for instance will give more confidence in the team than one against Derby next week. It's not that controversial to say that good players find it easier to play against poor players than they do against other good players and by extension to then adjust your judgement based on such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What was wrong with his performance tonight? He started the game slow, as you'd expect for a player not in the first team and gradually grew into it. He was brilliant in the 2nd half. Starting moves, creating chances, relieving pressure on the defence, and got a well deserved goal.

I felt his final pass let him down a bit. It was exciting seeing him, Rashford and Lukaku breaking at pace supported by Pogba. Hopefully more of the same v Wolves at the weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement