Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hope martial starts again on left this weekend, lukaku up top and lingard on right

• My predicted team for the weekend;

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Lindlelof Shaw
    Fellani Pogba Herrera
    Sanchez Lukaku Lingard

Some points:
    Preference would be maybe give Dalot another shot to replace Valencia(might be too soon so risk)
    Unsure if Fred or Herrera gets the nod to replace Matic but experience would dictate it would be Herrera
    I can see the possibility of Jose maybe rewarding Martial for his goal to keep his confidance going so a bit of a throw up on who starts on the wing.
    Sanchez still working hard but needs to improve from an attacking aspect.
    Lingard has been doing a good job of carving open space so can see him being a solid option.

Is this televised by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

My predicted team for the weekend;

De Gea
    Fellani Pogba Herrera
    Sanchez Lukaku Lingard

Some points:
    Preference would be maybe give Dalot another shot to replace Valencia(might be too soon so risk).

Is this televised by the way?

My 'friend' in America is watching on NBCSN. ;)

Would you not prefer to see Valencia dance over the ball and pass it back than Dalot being adventurous and putting in decent crosses.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

My predicted team for the weekend;

De Gea
    Fellani Pogba Herrera
    Sanchez Lukaku Lingard

No chance of Sanchez playing on the right, why would Jose start trying that now?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sanzhez on the right and Lingard on the left!

Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Sanzhez on the right and Lingard on the left!

Madness!

I'm sure he meant them on the opposite side but confused himself

jayo26 wrote: »
    How many times does the one person have to give his opinion on the same player in the same game lol it's laughable.

pogba-dance.gif

• My 'friend' in America is watching on NBCSN. ;)

Would you not prefer to see Valencia dance over the ball and pass it back than Dalot being adventurous and putting in decent crosses.:)

Oh I agree, can't stand Valencia
    But Jose may go for experience

• No chance of Sanchez playing on the right, why would Jose start trying that now?:confused:

Just a mixup, astradave was on the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was impressed at times last night,thought it had the making of a tricky game for Utd but to be fair once the team settled and got the first goal they played well and killed it off in the second half ,

They moved the ball quickly and with two FB's that look threatening going forward its going to be interesting to see how the next month or so goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

bangkok wrote: »
    pogba-dance.gif

Jesus christ we've broke Bangkok. Hes using gifs now :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jesus christ we've broke Bangkok. Hes using gifs now :pac:

If ya cant beat them, join them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

'How Dalot impressed on United bow'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11502770

Dalot was excellent last night

It's strange how we rate different players different ways

Lind was put on his arse and he was the worst dfender on the planet

Valenica rockets his crosses off defenders or misjudges his crosses, worst defender on the planet.

Dalot gets put on his arse, misjudged a lot of crosses or hit the defender has an excellent night.

I guess overall result has an impact on it too I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Dalot also put in a couple of crosses you could only dream of seeing Valencia hit

Dalot also put in a couple of crosses you could only dream of seeing Valencia hit

Yep, no one's ever scored from a valencia cross. :)

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Yep, no one's ever scored from a valencia cross. :)

He used to be a good crosser. But it's a skill he has been steadily losing over the last few years. He's an unbelievably poor attacking outlet on the right now.

It's only one game from Dalot and it wasn't top level opposition but he put in a couple of crosses yesterday that I just don't believe valencia would have if we was on the pitch last night.

Get Shaw and Dalot delivering constant quality crosses for Lukaku to work with and I think we could go up a couple of gears.

Obviously Dalot is still untested against better players especially defensively so that's still up in the air but I'm at the very least hopeful after having seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

limnam wrote: »
    It's strange how we rate different players different ways

Lind was put on his arse and he was the worst dfender on the planet

Valenica rockets his crosses off defenders or misjudges his crosses, worst defender on the planet.

Dalot gets put on his arse, misjudged a lot of crosses or hit the defender has an excellent night.

I guess overall result has an impact on it too I guess.

Suppose the beauty of football, or pretty much anything in life is our ability to view things differently.

Can't really comment on Lindelof or Valencia, they get criticisms for poor performances but don't know if people call them the worst defenders on the planet.

For Dalot, comes in at 19 making his debut for us, in the CL opener, away from home, has maybe one mistake or error all game and looked very bright. Going forward looked to offer us energy, only Martial completed more dribbles and he delivered some very nice crosses into the box.

I don't want to sound harsh here but surely you can't seriously not understand why a 19 year old making his first appearance for us, and the stage it was on, after having surgery on his knee not so long ago, would have his mistakes judged differently to a 33 year old who's played over 200 games for us.

If you weren't impressed or convinced by his performance at least take comfort in the knowledge that our manager was.
    "It [Dalot performance] was a very good, solid performance after knee surgery. Everyone can see the potential and everyone could see he's a 19-year-old player who has more than 10 years to play for Manchester United," Mourinho said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

If ya cant beat them, join them

giphy.gif

He used to be a good crosser. But it's a skill he has been steadily losing over the last few years. He's an unbelievably poor attacking outlet on the right now.

It's only one game from Dalot and it wasn't top level opposition but he put in a couple of crosses yesterday that I just don't believe valencia would have if we was on the pitch last night.

Get Shaw and Dalot delivering constant quality crosses for Lukaku to work with and I think we could go up a couple of gears.

Obviously Dalot is still untested against better players especially defensively so that's still up in the air but I'm at the very least hopeful after having seen him play.

Dalot was fine, as was lind the day he was put on his arse :)

It's just funny how differently they were judged and i'd say it's down the fact we won, so no one cared.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Suppose the beauty of football, or pretty much anything in life is our ability to view things differently.

Can't really comment on Lindelof or Valencia, they get criticisms for poor performances but don't know if people call them the worst defenders on the planet.

For Dalot, comes in at 19 making his debut for us, in the CL opener, away from home, has maybe one mistake or error all game and looked very bright. Going forward looked to offer us energy, only Martial completed more dribbles and he delivered some very nice crosses into the box.

I don't want to sound harsh here but surely you can't seriously not understand why a 19 year old making his first appearance for us, and the stage it was on, after having surgery on his knee not so long ago, would have his mistakes judged differently to a 33 year old who's played over 200 games for us.

If you weren't impressed or convinced by his performance at least take comfort in the knowledge that our manager was.

I was impressed.

• Advertisement

Oh and I'm also hopeful Lindelof will come good.

He probably needs a consistent defensive partner though. It's hard for the guy to get any understanding going when it's a pantership with 1 of 3 different people every couple of weeks.

But yeah give me Lindelof any day over going through the cycle of Jones again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

He probably needs a consistent defensive partner though. It's hard for the guy to get any understanding going when it's a pantership with 1 of 3 different people every couple of weeks.

Not a fan of him at all. I'd take Rojo or anyone over Lindelof. So bad. He just isn't close to the level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Shaws' cross for Mata's chance that went narrowly wide was by far the "cross of the night" TM

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Shaws' cross for Mata's chance that went narrowly wide was by far the "cross of the night" TM

Dalots cross to lukaku where he was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Not a fan of him at all. I'd take Rojo or anyone over Lindelof. So bad. He just isn't close to the level.

I think lindelof may surprise a few this season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Dalots cross to lukaku where he was offside.

Wasn't as good?

Strong, fast, think we are all surprised about how strong it was.

Great to see a right back with some attacking flair.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Evra on League of their Own on Sky 1 now.

I think i should trademark "he will surprise a few this season" #surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I think i should trademark "he will surprise a few this season"

Slap a hashtag on it :pac:

Pheonix10 wrote: »

I think he needs that more experienced head along side him. Problem is we don't have a senior top class defender you can say is nailed on to be there week to week. Smalling and Jones should both be at that stage now but they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lord TSC wrote: »

Cannot watch that crap, even with Pat on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think Smalling may actually suit Lindelof. Smalling has always been played beside someone who is more of a hard hitting big tackling CB because Smalling seems like he is more like the Rio than the Vidic as such. I believe Smalling isn't great with the ball on the ground either with it or without it but his ability in the air is very good and he can get his head on a lot of things. Lindelof takes a lot of the pressure off him having to take the ball out and allows Smalling to focus a bit more on not being caught out of position as he is prone to. Didn't think I'd be saying this again but Smalling should be first choice with Lindelof going forward unless there is a calamity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »

He was very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ah it’s not that bad... I wouldn’t call it compelling tv but at the same time it’s not that bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ok so we can rule out that you watched league of their own two times in 2013....... the search goes on.

Jose press conference starting soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Was always going to be that way. Hopefully is a full 2nd 11 thats plays v derby

• Advertisement

• Rossi IRL wrote: »

As predicted. It makes sense to me to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pogba stats will read something like this tomorrow

Goals 2
    45% pass rate
    0 interceptions
    0 tackles
    22 fouls
    0 runs
    O headers won
    1 Yellow Card
    Man of the Match

Pogba stats will read something like this tomorrow

Goals 2
    45% pass rate
    0 interceptions
    0 tackles
    22 fouls
    0 runs
    O headers won
    1 Yellow Card
    Man of the Match

I'd take it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wilfried Zaha has accused Man United of failing to give him adequate support after his £10 million transfer in 2013, admitting it led to depression...
    “Obviously, getting to United isn’t easy, so not being given a chance is hard to take. I don’t regret anything because it made me stronger. I feel as though I can deal with anything now,” he said.

“I went through so much with United, with England. There were rumours that the reason I wasn’t playing for United was because I slept with David Moyes’s daughter, and no one attempted to clear that up. So I was fighting my demons by myself, these rumours that I knew weren’t true.

“I was dealing with this at 19; living in Manchester by myself, nowhere near anyone else, because the club had a hold over where I lived. They hadn’t given me a car, like every other player. Nothing. I’m living in this hell by myself, away from my family, and I thought: ‘If this doesn’t make me stronger, what will?’”

Mental health should be taken seriously but did he actually expect the club or someone else to come out with a statement denying that he rode Moyes daughter? Get real.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wilfried Zaha has accused Man United of failing to give him adequate support after his £10 million transfer in 2013, admitting it led to depression...

Mental health should be taken seriously but did he actually expect the club or someone else to come out with a statement denying that he rode Moyes daughter? Get real.

The club can confirm that wilfred zaha didnt ride the hole off moyes daughter, but Wayne Rooney did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why would it need to be an official statement?

It would have been trivial for the club to feed a quote to a journalist stating that any rumours that Moyes had a problem with Zaha were all untrue. No specifics needed to be mentioned at all, just get a friendly reporter to lob an easy question to Moyes about Zaha, one that he answers with a laugh and says that he gets on well with Wilfred and thinks it funny some of the stupid stories people are telling.

Zaha never said he wanted an official statement, and one wasn't needed anyway, there is plenty the club could do outside of that.

• Advertisement

“I was dealing with this at 19; living in Manchester by myself, nowhere near anyone else, because the club had a hold over where I lived. They hadn’t given me a car ,like every other player

He was probably on at least 30 to 40k per week.... ****ing boohoo Zaha, buy your own car.

The clubs had hold over where he lived? , I seriously doubt that they made him live in a certain house.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

He was probably on at least 30 to 40k per week.... ****ing boohoo Zaha, buy your own car.

The clubs had hold over where he lived? , I seriously doubt that they made him live in a certain house.

In fairness, he did say like every other player, so they must have gotten cars and he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

why remove the second half of the quote?

"Like everyone else". IMO its an issue of how he was treated rather than him not having a car at all. All the senior players get a chevy car of choice.

why remove the second half of the quote?

"Like everyone else". IMO its an issue of how he was treated rather than him not having a car at all. All the senior players get a chevy car of choice.

He wasn't some big name signing though...... Did Nick Powell or Bebe also get a new car when they signed?

Also I remember it coming out the Fergie banned the younger players from driving the sports models of the chevy cars that were available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He wasn't some big name signing though...... Did Nick Powell or Bebe also get a new car when they signed?

Also I remember it coming out the Fergie banned the younger players from driving the sports models of the chevy cars that were available.

Fergie wasn't at the club at the time.

IMO he is basically saying the club treated him like a youth team player (wrongly in his opinion), while he had made a relatively big money move to the club and there were a lot of eyes on him - while they also did nothing to protect him from rumours around why he wasn't playing.

He is talking about a general lack of support from the club for a kid who needed it.

The car thing stands out, but I think there is possibly a very important issue to look at there and it would be wrong to ignore it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement