Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Fergie wasn't at the club at the time.

IMO he is basically saying the club treated him like a youth team player (wrongly in his opinion), while he had made a relatively big money move to the club and there were a lot of eyes on him - while they also did nothing to protect him from rumours around why he wasn't playing.

He is talking about a general lack of support from the club for a kid who needed it.

The car thing stands out, but I think there is possibly a very important issue to look at there and it would be wrong to ignore it.

Tough to go back in a time machine and look at what happened that many years ago. Some players come out with a bad experience (I can't actually think of too many players who came and left the club at a young age who had a negative experience in terms of treatment) the overwhelming number of players come out with a good experience from their time at the club in how the club treats them and looks after them.

Zaha timing was bad, it's unfortunate but it happens. If the manager who signed him stayed around it could have been different. What relevance it has to how the team is run two more managers down the line I have no idea.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

IMO he is basically saying the club treated him like a youth team player (wrongly in his opinion), while he had made a relatively big money move to the club and there were a lot of eyes on him - while they also did nothing to protect him from rumours around why he wasn't playing.

He is talking about a general lack of support from the club for a kid who needed it.

The car thing stands out, but I think there is possibly a very important issue to look at there and it would be wrong to ignore it.

For a start Zaha was signed in January while Fergie was there.

The rumors probably should of been squashed but what was Moyes suppose to say if he squashed the rumor then he would of had to have given a reason to why he wasn't playing. It could of been because he wasn't good enough or he wasn't trying hard enough in training.

Back to the car thing though. Fergie banned all players under 23 that very season from getting a free Chevy Corvette. That is literally the only Chevy a footballer could be seen in.

Terms would have been agreed in January when the deal was agreed while Fergie was there and he would of been told that he wasn't getting a Corvette if he had asked.

The club treated him the same as other u23's like Smalling and Jones but they didn't cry over it, they worked hard and made a career for themselves at United.

Link https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/ferguson-puts-supercar-ban-on-young-united-stars-39097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I seriously doubt every member of the squad got a car besides him.

I assume young and/or new players didn't get one which is fine, so far as "free cars for footballers" rules go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    For a start Zaha was signed in January while Fergie was there.

The rumors probably should of been squashed but what was Moyes suppose to say if he squashed the rumor then he would of had to have given a reason to why he wasn't playing. It could of been because he wasn't good enough or he wasn't trying hard enough in training.

Back to the car thing though. Fergie banned all players under 23 that very season from getting a free Chevy Corvette. That is literally the only Chevy a footballer could be seen in.

Terms would have been agreed in January when the deal was agreed while Fergie was there and he would of been told that he wasn't getting a Corvette if he had asked.

The club treated him the same as other u23's like Smalling and Jones but they didn't cry over it, they worked hard and made a career for themselves at United.

Link https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/ferguson-puts-supercar-ban-on-young-united-stars-39097
    Fergie was there when the deal was announced but Zaha didn't sign till the summer when Fergie retired.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Fergie was there when the deal was announced but Zaha didn't sign till the summer when Fergie retired.

But surely if it was announced in January then terms were agreed in January. They wouldn't announce a deal if the player wasn't happy with it.

If Zaha wanted a car he could have easily bought one with the wages he was on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

zorro2566 wrote: »
    If Zaha wanted a car he could have easily bought one with the wages he was on!

He was unfortunately a tenner short

Did Zaha himself ever come out and try squash the rumors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lucas Hood wrote: »

He was signed in January and loaned back to Palace for the remainder of the season IIRC.. he was officially a United employee from Jan 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would be flabbergasted if a 19 year old Zaha didn’t find those rumours hilarious and probably made the most out of them with his friends, it sounds like a sob story from him to try explain why he is 26 next month and not done anything of note the past 7 years despite the potential he had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Zaha was very young going to United and his car story with the rumours are just examples of where he looks back and sees lack of support.

I bet Shaw had similar experiences in his home situations when arriving at 18.

As if Moyes did not want him, Moyes had bigger problems that Zaha. The fact Zaha fell to the side is an early example of the lack infastructure and planning around the football side of the club. SAF would have made sure he was looked after and playing football.

Look at Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani and Anderson. He stuck by the three who struggled (Rooney never did) and but faith in them when it would be easier to look at another player.

It is reasonable to suggest a lack of support at that time would set him back in his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

There is an incredible book about a young lad tommy docherty who was pushing through to the first team at the same time as giggs and actually got he nod ahead of him until he did his cruciate and was sidelined and then never really played again (mostly due to him playing on it) due to physio error in diagnosis. Anyway he said he had very little support as did a lot of the youngsters at united.

Sad book really, ended up accidentally drowning in the netherlands, moved around giggling and doing odd jobs.

Shame really as fergie said he was better than giggs at the time and one of he best youngsters he’d ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There is an incredible book about a young lad tommy docherty who was pushing through to the first team at the same time as giggs and actually got he nod ahead of him until he did his cruciate and was sidelined and then never really played again (mostly due to him playing on it) due to physio error in diagnosis. Anyway he said he had very little support as did a lot of the youngsters at united.

Sad book really, ended up accidentally drowning in the netherlands, moved around giggling and doing odd jobs.

Shame really as fergie said he was better than giggs at the time and one of he best youngsters he’d ever seen

It was a mad story,he used to go busking in Manchester City centre. Supremely talented footballer but didn't really care for it. A tragic end for him unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Utd to win 2-1 tomorrow.

Zaha with both goals.

#surprised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Souness on Pogba is beyond sad, Milner a better player :pac:
    What on earth have i missed that Milner is now a better player than Pogba

irishman86 wrote: »
    Souness on Pogba is beyond sad, Milner a better player :pac:
    What on earth have i missed that Milner is now a better player than Pogba

Souness should be put in a retirement home.

He should be nowhere near TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Souness should be put in a retirement home.

He should be nowhere near TV.

I like seeing him discuss United just to see the lemony goodness drip from every pore. He is basically a template for a huge amount of LFC fans, so blinded by United's successes and their failures that any semblance of objectivity was dissolved out of his body years ago. It's fantastic entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Wtf is an all-out bid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Who's showing match today? if, let's say, fella was abroad.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Who's showing match today? if, let's say, fella was abroad.....

NBC if your in the states. I’ll personally be in Qatar with Andy Grey and Richard keys on Bein 11. They show all the goals as they happen then from around the grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

MrMac84 wrote: »
    NBC

To the Ryanair check in it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

pjohnson wrote: »

Ryanair fly to America now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

pjohnson wrote: »

I'll meet you here in the blaize!

• I like seeing him discuss United just to see the lemony goodness drip from every pore. He is basically a template for a huge amount of LFC fans, so blinded by United's successes and their failures that any semblance of objectivity was dissolved out of his body years ago. It's fantastic entertainment.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

No TV coverage today I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Toobz wrote: »
    Wtf is an all-out bid?

It's just after the preparing a bid and before the war chest is launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Who's cutting onions in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Everytime see him makes me think how much miss him being manager of the club. Not even just the fact he was a winner just I grew up watching and experiencing the team and football around him and everything he brought to the game. The fear and respect he earned around the world of football!

When I think about Manchester United I think of Alex Ferguson!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Going to be a tough one today, that Wolves team has some decent players, no doubt some of the players like Ruben Neves will begin to be linked with us.

Have a chance to get our 4th win in a row this season, would be great for morale and begin to start making things look more promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Surprised to see Fred get the nod over Pereira, Fred was so-so mid week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Julez wrote: »

Hes an endless ball of energy though, Pereira would come in there in Fellaini's place really if he was playing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Sanchez wanders back into the side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Disappointed to see Martial dropped after his good performance mid week. Really think he needs a consistent run of games if we are to get the best out of him.

Nbcsn saying that they are showing the scousers at 3. I think NBC are showing it,if not I'm off to either the Middle East or Asia. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Disappointed to see Martial dropped after his good performance mid week. Really think he needs a consistent run of games if we are to get the best out of him.

He was poor overall imo. Not surprised to see him out of the team at all.

Should be out of the club at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Julez wrote: »

Don't see Pereira as a starter yet tbh, he had an atrocious game against Brighton. He needs his confidence to increase a bit. Were Pogba more of a Bryan Robson or Roy Keane type character he could carry him but we need experience in the middle of the park which Pereira is still only building up.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Sanchez and martial are probably as bad as each other.

The difference is one keeps trying and one contines to waltz around the place with no fcks given.

I'd love to see him break his balls when he gets a few chances and _then_ get a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

3-0 united. Lukaku pogba lingard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The second Martials agent started mouthing off bout wanting to leave, he was going to struggle for time. scoring a goal in a game we had already won, in a game where he had been poor for 89 minutes, is not going to change Jose's. Ind and give him a spot over a more dedicated player.

• Julez wrote: »

Fred spent the majority of the first half covering two positions
    AKA Martial

He deserves his place, bundles of energy and effort

Fred spent the majority of the first half covering two positions
    AKA Martial

He deserves his place, bundles of energy and effort

He will only get used to the league by playing in it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

adox wrote: »
    He was poor overall imo. Not surprised to see him out of the team at all.

Should be out of the club at this stage.

Poor in the first half but I thought he did well in the second. He's never gonna improve if he doesn't get a run of games and eventually he'll be out the door anyways if thats the case.

Got to remember he's only 22. His best years are still ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Nervy 2-1.

• Rossi IRL wrote: »
    He will only get used to the league by playing in it after all.

Everytime he starts, he disappoints.
    I'm done defending him personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Everyone has their opinion on Sanchez/Martial which is fair enough, both flatter to deceive in so far as everyone wants to see them as the player they could be as opposed to what they currently are.

But one thing I don't get is the amount of value placed by some on Sanchez' "work rate". A lot of his running doesn't actually result in anything and doesn't always appear to be part of a designed team press. Gives a lot of credence imo to the rumours that the Arsenal players disliked him because he was fond of throwing in a few aimless sprints and waving his hands in the air when they were up against it just so it would look to the fans like he was trying.

• Advertisement

Everytime he starts, he disappoints.
    I'm done defending him personally.

How long till the name change?

Edit: I was being positive towards Fred, not Martial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement