Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sanchez is cooked, Arsenal knew what they were doing to be fair, unlikely they were going to give us a genuine top level player again after the madness with RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

DM_7 wrote: »

Yeah but that speech, in the dressing room, world cup final..

What a talker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Mourinho really is worried about Pogba giving the ball away, not imposing himself and not working enough for the team, then maybe it is because he gives the ball away, does not impose himself and does not work enough for the team.

Ouch.

Yet to make a single interception? If your central midfielder is not contributing there then damn sure he would want to be making up for it on the front end.

And yet by Pogba's own words United aren't attacking enough, they aren't good enough going forward.

Never your fault, is it Paul....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sanchez is cooked, Arsenal knew what they were doing to be fair, unlikely they were going to give us a genuine top level player again after the madness with RVP.

Sanchez looks like an U-18 from Athlone town in a United shirt. Cant fault his work rate and effort, first class but he just looks unsure of himself and every facet of his game seems labored and off the pace. Still he may come good yet, we shall see. Maybe just needs one top top rate performance against a high quality opposition to focus himself as to his own qualities, ability and strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ouch.

Yet to make a single interception? If your central midfielder is not contributing there then damn sure he would want to be making up for it on the front end.

And yet by Pogba's own words United aren't attacking enough, they aren't good enough going forward.

Never your fault, is it Paul....

Our best outfield player at the weekend and he still gets flak

De gea voted in the world 11 team but courtois wins best keeper??? them fifa awards are fixed.

Salah nominated for best player yet doesnt make team of the year...

Salah goal v everton wins buskas award beating ronaldo and bale bycle kick is some farce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »
    De gea voted best keeper in the world but them fifa awards are fixed.

Salah nominated for best player yet doesnt make team of the year...

Salah goal v everton wins buskas award beating ronaldo and bale bycle kick is some farce

Thought courtois won best keeper and de gea got FIFA 11

My Liverpool friends said bale should have got it and that
    goal is not even salahs best goal last season, a load of awful decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Of the 6 seasons that has passed since Fergie left its at least 4 if not 5 seasons that we already dont stand a chance of winning the league before October arrives.

Simply awful and just not good enough for club of Unitedd size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Of the 6 seasons that has passed since Fergie left its at least 4 if not 5 seasons that we already dont stand a chance of winning the league before October arrives.

Yes, and this past summer gets more embarrassing by the day as the “biggest club in the world” threw in the towel, doing absolutely nothing to bridge the 20 point gap between us and City.

Competing isn’t on the agenda for the decision makers at United, doing the absolute minimum whilst raking in a tonne of money is the name of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Seems to be acceptable at board level which is very worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Simply awful and just not good enough for THE Fans of a club of Unitedd size

Corrected that ...

Remember what Woodward said, the commercial arm of the club is not affected by on field performance.

Considering the players at our disposal we should be doing much better all the same and in saying that i can see west ham beating us this weekend. Just cant see jose being there next season

I reckon we will get out biggest win in the league this season at the weekend

I reckon we will get out biggest win in the league this season at the weekend

What makes you think that?

What makes you think that?

West ham are a poor team who give up a lot of chances, their expected goals conceded is about 2 goals a game, while they have switched formation in the last 2 games I think our style of play is much more suited to breaking it down then Chelseas was on sunday.
    I think we will have lots of joy down the left wing against an aging lb and a lw who doesn't like to do much tracking back and if they are without Arnie they haven't much of an attacking treat.

If I'd to make a bold prediction I reckon Lukaku gets 2 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Drumpot wrote: »
    Corrected that ...

Remember what Woodward said, the commercial arm of the club is not affected by on field performance.

At this stage it's probably better the worse they do. The sheer number of articles written this summer and early season related to United is astounding. Pretty much at least 1 a day from every publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Paul pogba currently

A world class midfielder who isn't arsed playing

That's all I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Paul pogba currently

A world class midfielder who isn't arsed playing

That's all I can see
    Pogba world class on his day , but his day doesn't happen near often enough to be considered world class,
    He was the same player at Juve as he is today but they are so much better than anyone else he got away with it,
    He will move to a big European club and in 2 season be moved on again to another big club , Rinse and repeat till he calls it a day ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Pogba world class on his day , but his day doesn't happen near often enough to be considered world class,
    He was the same player at Juve as he is today but they are so much better than anyone else he got away with it,
    He will move to a big European club and in 2 season be moved on again to another big club , Rinse and repeat till he calls it a day ,
    It's honestly sad

He just hasn't stepped up to be the leader I thought he would be

Coming back to us had me in awe thinking this guy is 100% united and wants to make his mark

Pogba is a weird one. At Juve I watched him a good bit and while impressive at times, didn't really see what the fuss was about. Seemed to try an awful lot of things that only came off the odd time. He was still very young though and I thought that maturity would come with age.

His first season at United convinced me that he was exactly what was needed and the team could be built around his passing and dynamism(that can't be a word but sure). Then from about 10 games into last season it's pretty much unraveled. Still looking classy at times but mainly just phoning it in. Like a big name respected actor taking a paycheck to appear for 2 minutes in some blockbuster.

I still defend him as I don't think he's been as bad as people make out but his lack of effort is there for all to see and was never going to wash with José. Unfortunately it's the wrong combo as other managers may have indulged that behaviour a bit more and José clearly rates him. Just seems to be constantly disappointed because he knows, like the rest of us, that Pogba is capable of being that box to box dynamo, he just doesn't want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1044545097138925568

Interesting to see the feedback from the experts on the numbers.

On the face of it, a small pre-tax profit but still very high debts. Wonder where the £590 is going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

MaceFace wrote: »
    On the face of it, a small pre-tax profit but still very high debts. Wonder where the £590m is going...

Paying Sanchez's wages :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FitzShane wrote: »
    Paying Sanchez's wages :pac:

Sure that'll only cover a week at most.

Liam O wrote: »
    Pogba is a weird one. At Juve I watched him a good bit and while impressive at times, didn't really see what the fuss was about. Seemed to try an awful lot of things that only came off the odd time. He was still very young though and I thought that maturity would come with age.

His first season at United convinced me that he was exactly what was needed and the team could be built around his passing and dynamism(that can't be a word but sure). Then from about 10 games into last season it's pretty much unraveled. Still looking classy at times but mainly just phoning it in. Like a big name respected actor taking a paycheck to appear for 2 minutes in some blockbuster.

I still defend him as I don't think he's been as bad as people make out but his lack of effort is there for all to see and was never going to wash with José. Unfortunately it's the wrong combo as other managers may have indulged that behaviour a bit more and José clearly rates him. Just seems to be constantly disappointed because he knows, like the rest of us, that Pogba is capable of being that box to box dynamo, he just doesn't want to be.
    I think people get it mixed up, Its NOT he doesn't want to be its that he can't be,
    He just doesn't do it every week he never has, The best run off consistency he has ever had is the world cup , and it was what 7 games ?
    He has outstanding ability but can not consistently put it on show, At Juve the team was never built around him so he was allowed have games where he didn't show up at United the team relies on him to much,

I think people get it mixed up, Its NOT he doesn't want to be its that he can't be,
    He just doesn't do it every week he never has, The best run off consistency he has ever had is the world cup , and it was what 7 games ?
    He has outstanding ability but can not consistently put it on show, At Juve the team was never built around him so he was allowed have games where he didn't show up at United the team relies on him to much,

I wouldn't say that at all. His first season he was consistently a level above the players around him and looked to be carrying the team for large parts of the season in a not too dissimilar way to how Gerrard would have done for Liverpool at times.

I thought that with better players around him and being able to concentrate on his role without having to be responsible for doing everything, given license to impose himself on games he could turn into what Gerrard was in his best seasons with Torres where he didn't have much defensive responsibility but would still put in a shift. Gerrard similarly didn't have a lot of defensive nous as shown by the improvement when Alonso and Mascherano rolled into town but would at least chase players down and put in the effort required. With Pogba the effort just isn't there and considering the status of the player and his ties to the club it's very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

No real pattern emerging from the team to give you hope that Mourinho has a vision that he's trying to implement through this group of players. He's turned into a reactive manager. Fergie did it at times but very rarely. In the main his teams were set up and teams had to plan around that 11 to try and break them down. We've now a manager with a mid table philosophy whether he says differently or not. No one fears Utd any more and why would they

Liam O wrote: »

I wouldn't say that at all. His first season he was consistently a level above the players around him and looked to be carrying the team for large parts of the season in a not too dissimilar way to how Gerrard would have done for Liverpool at times.

I thought that with better players around him and being able to concentrate on his role without having to be responsible for doing everything, given license to impose himself on games he could turn into what Gerrard was in his best seasons with Torres where he didn't have much defensive responsibility but would still put in a shift. Gerrard similarly didn't have a lot of defensive nous as shown by the improvement when Alonso and Mascherano rolled into town but would at least chase players down and put in the effort required. With Pogba the effort just isn't there and considering the status of the player and his ties to the club it's very disappointing.
    Iv actually compared him on here before to a bad Gerrard in his style
    I say a bad one as I don't think he will ever have the end product that Gerrard had ,he also doesn't have the intensity of a Gerrard although Pogba he is more skilful , Gerrard just had more of a drive to him ,
    I defo see why you make the comparison,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Really like Jose, but god. Saying it for over a year now. As long as he's our manager our attacking shape will not improve and our players (like Sanchez since he joined) will not gather form. He has to go for us to progress because we're not going forwards, we're not going backwards, we're just not going anywhere.

• Advertisement

Really like Jose, but god. Saying it for over a year now. As long as he's our manager our attacking shape will not improve and our players (like Sanchez since he joined) will not gather form. He has to go for us to progress because we're not going forwards, we're not going backwards, we're just not going anywhere.

I can see jose losing the dressing room. Can see the players having a private meeting shortly and just going against what he says and playing attacking football as a team. Will all come to a head shortly imo

I can see jose losing the dressing room. Can see the players having a private meeting shortly and just going against what he says and playing attacking football as a team. Will all come to a head shortly imo

No they wont and united are already playing more attacking this season then last in case you try go spinning a narrative later the players decide to do it inspite of jose

No they wont and united are already playing more attacking this season then last in case you try go spinning a narrative later the players decide to do it inspite of jose

We have a goal difference of zero in the league.

We create feck all chances

We have scored 3 goals at home in 3 games

Pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We have a goal difference of zero in the league.

We create feck all chances

We have scored 3 goals at home in 3 games

Pathetic

Lukaku has missed a bucket full of very good chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TitianGerm wrote: »

Must be a very small bucket.

I don't think u'll ever see that at United,
     Far to professional , City or Chelsea maybe United no chance,

Didnt carrick and rooney call a private meeting under van gaal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't say your right there.

Didn't realise you thought so little of the players until now either.

Your views on the style are not exactly accurate either but not shocking.

Will not come to a head shortly anyway imo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

4 big chances missed by him players of note who have missed more are Salah,Kane, jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Scholes fouling Maloney. I'm shocked.

Didnt carrick and rooney call a private meeting under van gaal?
    Yes but not to decide to play the opposite to manger directions ,
    Players often call team meetings it nothing new,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Pogba ,a bad Gerrard:o
    I've heard it all now.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Pogba ,a bad Gerrard:o
    I've heard it all now.
    What other midfielder would you compare Pogba to ?
    He is like Gerrard in many way but obvioulsy not as effective as Gerrard,
    You couldn't play either in a 2 man field, boith only effect a game going forward, both let people run off them both cause mangers headaches to get there talent into the team ,
    Gerrard played CM first ,a season right wing for Rafa ,left wing for England, AM behind Torres , Holding role under Rodgers , Mangers always tried to shoe horn him into a team,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

4 big chances missed by him players of note who have missed more are Salah,Kane, jesus

Salah and Kane do miss an awful lot as well but with Liverpool the likes of Mane, Bobby and Milner have all chipped in as well.

Pogba is supremely talented and comparing him to Gerrard is madness considering he has probably close to 10 years left playing.We have no idea how his career will pan out but so far he has achieved a lot more than Gerrard at the same age.

A poor Gerrard is just a stupid comment to make .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Salah and Kane do miss an awful lot as well but with Liverpool the likes of Mane, Bobby and Milner have all chipped in as well.

So you are saying it's not Lukaku but the fact others haven't stepped up and scored when called upon.

So you are saying it's not Lukaku but the fact others haven't stepped up and scored when called upon.

Ive no idea where he was going with it given the line of conversation, lots if flip flopping going on

So Lukaku is at fault because no one else has chipped in with goals,Salah gets a pass because other lads are getting goals.

That's a wonderful way to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Could be proven wrong of course but in the first 10 games last season we had a good few 4-0 wins. For whatever reason from the Liverpool game at Anfield onwards we became very functional and from then on we stopped creating the chances we did in the early part of the season

Scholes and Keane back together in midfield for utd at liam miller game. The best midfield combo in prem leagie history

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement