Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Turtwig wrote: »
    Zidane modelled his Madrid on his Juventus side. They were very conservative and pragmatic. Often they spend an entire resorting to lobbing in crosses. Not really attacking football tbh.

Logic

Nice to read in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

These players have done nothing for United and are downing tools for the most successful manager they will ever play under in their careers.

Alarm bells. Massive ****ing alarm bells.

Zidane, Pochettino, Brian Clough, it doesn’t matter who manages this bunch. Manchester United will not win a major trophy before 2023. We are Liverpool of the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If Jose has any pride he'll walk before he gets the sack. Hopefully Woodward follows him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Super Super Frankie Lampard!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Come on guys

Zidane would be like going from the frying pan into the fire.

It would be nuts to sack a manager with the pedigree of Jose for Zidane.

Im not against sacking Jose for a manager who is proven but that should of been done during the summer when the board didn't trust Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Zidane would be brave to come here now. The damage it would do to his career would take years for him to undo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The game tonight was another chance for united to play 2 up top as out and out strikers. Flat 4 in the middle and let the width come from the fb's. Lukaku strenght is not holding up the ball and having someone up right beside him could make a huge difference. The 433 is just not working and something has to change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Quandary wrote: »
    If Jose gets the sack, which he most likely will at this rate, we should flog Pogba too for as much as we can get. The last thing a new manager needs is a disruptive influence in the squad when things aren't going his way, and a disruptive player with an agent like Raiola is about as bad as it gets.

Depressing times, depressing times indeed :(

Pogba in my eyes is a big problem at United at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Super Super Frankie Lampard!!

Pah.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Jose has any pride he'll walk before he gets the sack. Hopefully Woodward follows him.

Nah, "pride" doesn't come up when you can make 8 digits by being sacked.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Zidane would be brave to come here now. The damage it would do to his career would take years for him to undo.

Why? if Zidane fails as well, same as managers who fail at Chelsea, it will just be "lol United". We're actually a safer team to choose right now; the bar is being set so low that it wouldn't be hard to clear it....

°°°°°

Pogba in my eyes is a big problem at United at the moment.

Hard to argue against that, although he is supposedly a Jose signing.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

nullzero wrote: »
    It was twenty years ago today, no hang on 28 years ago since you last won the title...

He's a Chelsea fan.

°°°°°

He's a Chelsea fan.

I stand corrected.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Just the FA Cup left and it's still September, some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Never trust a big lump like Jones with a penalty, but I guess were scraping the barrel at the stage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Why? if Zidane fails as well, same as managers who fail at Chelsea, it will just be "lol United". We're actually a safer team to choose right now; the bar is being set so low that it wouldn't be hard to clear it....

Ah I suppose could go that way aswell and just be a quick little earner for a year or two then a nice pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Headshot wrote: »
    Come on guys

Im not against sacking Jose for a manager who is proven but that should of been done during the summer when the board didn't trust Jose

Half the board has NEVER trusted Jose, he is the very antithesis of a Utd team, and people like Sir Bobby knew it.
    I dare say Jose was brought in to stabilize Utd in the top 4 and win the title, and never mind the football, if they hadnt watched Jose at Chelsea, they couldnt be that deluded surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Come on guys

Zidane wasn't proven before he got the Madrid job, Pep wasn't proven before he got the barca job. I think we're more likely to be successful by going for a young up and coming manager who's enthusiastic and willing to play attractive attacking. We've had 3 dinosaur managers in a row, new approach badly needed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

°°°°°

Just the FA Cup left and it's still September, some going.

We could always take the Liverpool approach and say we now get to concentrate on the cup...

Glazers Out!

Did we ever find an explanation for why Mourinho’s Madrid outscored Zidane’s or will we just ignore that one to suit an agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Not a chance Mourinho will be sacked until/unless CL qualification is mathematically impossible.

°°°°°

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Not a chance Mourinho will be sacked until/unless CL qualification is mathematically impossible.

Changing managers in September after losing a league Cup game after the keeper had a brain fart and Derby County had a once in a life time penalty shoot out performance isn't likely. "neutrals" will love it but ultimately the next league game is what matters most. If we're adrift in February or March then he could go, but not now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hahaha “When we get to Jones and Bailey we know we are in trouble” haha that was good tbh.

Tbh thought there was an opportunity for him to proper send a message about the Pogba situation. Thought that was a pretty flimsy response to the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

pjohnson wrote: »
    Liverpool now have better players than us. They adressed there issues over the summer and added additional squad depth. Not much suprise they are playing better.

You telling me those players tonight shouldn’t be beating derby city?

Nope he’s trying to tell you that Liverpool have better players and a better squad than Man Utd. this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Nope he’s trying to tell you that Liverpool have better players and a better squad than Man Utd. this season

That team should be beating derby regardless of the players Liverpool have.

Wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We are gonna win the league, Europa League that is here's to 3rd place in our group and the glory of Thursday night football Glory Glory ah who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

nullzero wrote: »
    Changing managers in September after losing a league Cup game after the keeper had a brain fart and Derby County had a once in a life time penalty shoot out performance isn't likely. "neutrals" will love it but ultimately the next league game is what matters most. If we're adrift in February or March then he could go, but not now.

If it was only this. I cannot remember a game that I enjoyed watching them play when I thought they looked good and played nice football. Something has to change very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hahaha “When we get to Jones and Bailey we know we are in trouble” haha that was good tbh.

Tbh thought there was an opportunity for him to proper send a message about the Pogba situation. Thought that was a pretty flimsy response to the question

A great confidence booster to the 2 lads right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’ve nothing to say that hasn’t been said or I haven’t said before but, on a positive note Martial was my motm for Utd.

• nullzero wrote: »

It's amazing how long the same players who continue to let the team down even between multiple managers have still managed to cling on and they are hardly ever accountable and are continually defended.

We haven't had it but a mass culling is required. And we need to replace them with actual leaders.

Examples:
    Mata
    Valencia
    Martial
    Jones

They are all below what's required to challenge.
    Teams around us have proven this.

Not once have the club backed the manager to the hilt. He was utterly let down the summer gone. How anyone else can't see this is beyond me.

And no I'm not a Jose fanboy. It doesn't matter who is in charge. These types need to be kicked out ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Football is about entertainment first and then winning. Our football is too cautious and it's also not producing results so it's a lose-lose.

Time for a change of manager as it's been 3 years and not 3 months. Yes, we need more players but we have much more capability than is currently being utilised.

°°°°°

If it was only this. I cannot remember a game that I enjoyed watching them play when I thought they looked good and played nice football. Something has to change very quickly.

I agree, we're awful to watch, but Jose won't get the boot until we're languishing in 8th coming into February. This is a write off of a season, and to add insult to injury our two biggest rivals are strolling in the league, that's just the way it goes sometimes,this season is collosal sh1t sandwich and we're all taking a bite as United fans.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Mourinho confirms pogba not vice captain anymore according to sky breaking news.

Think I'll download the entire run of Premier League Years and live in a constant state of nostalgia and harmony

@Lord whats the latest Football Manager like, need to get it, buyback Memphis, and just win loads of **** with United

Sirsok wrote: »
    Mourinho confirms pogba not vice captain anymore according to sky breaking news.

He confirmed as such in the post match. But made out there is no problem or issue and that as it was his decision to make him captain, its his decision to take it away.

And as Redknapp rightly said, laughable to think thats not a problem, thats a seismic problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Football is about entertainment first and then winning. Our football is too cautious and it's also not producing results so it's a lose-lose.

While I agree with you, its a naive view that doesnt really apply in modern football. For the people running the club, being a succesful business comes first. Winning, which enables commercial success is probably second. I really dont think entertainment is on their list

Funny how it was the players fault at Chelsea when Jose got sacked.

Then the next season Chelsea won the league with the same players.

Some serious denial going on here.

• Problems are routed also at board level

Sirsok wrote: »

sigh

That's Pogba gone. You cant expect to keep dissing your manager and get away with it but I feel at the same time if we had a more attacking manager they would get the best out of Pogba.

I don't think Jose would ever have Pogba in any of his previous clubs in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It just feels things as bad as LVG and Moyes ... :( things deteriorating fast at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

While I agree with you, its a naive view that doesnt really apply in modern football. For the people running the club, being a succesful business comes first. Winning, which enables commercial success is probably second. I really dont think entertainment is on their list

I'm talking more from a fan perspective than board level. Everyone wants to win as it means more commerical success and easier to attract players. Even if the board don't need to win a title, eventually revenue will slow down if the team don't compete.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And the next season those same Chelsea players again underperformed and the manager got sacked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's amazing how long the same players who continue to let the team down even between multiple managers have still managed to cling on and they are hardly ever accountable and are continually defended.

We haven't had it but a mass culling is required. And we need to replace them with actual leaders.

Examples:
    Mata
    Valencia
    Martial
    Jones

They are all below what's required to challenge.
    Teams around us have proven this.

Not once have the club backed the manager to the hilt. He was utterly let down the summer gone. How anyone else can't see this is beyond me.

And no I'm not a Jose fanboy. It doesn't matter who is in charge. These types need to be kicked out ASAP.

That doesn't really stack up (cull/kick out) because United have sold so many players already. Most of those lads (on your list) have actually outlasted big money signings like Di Maria (Mata) or called upon when others couldn't hack it like Shaw (Young).

Look at the list of players who have have left since Moyes was sacked. That is far more of a concern as many were due to age so club should have been ready to replace them and many others were players the club actually bought but had to move on. That points to structure issues.

Why is it the likes of Young who people point at yet the likes of Lukaku, Pogba, Fred, Matic, Sanchez, Bailly who arrived for a lot of money under Joae himself are as much at fault (assuming it ia players we are focusing on)?

The lack of stability across the team and management has played a part in this mess but ultimately the club is not well ran on the football side. They are trying to fix it but it should have happened earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Must be a very small bucket.

they also won the league the season before Jose got sacked too. Under Jose.

Our team have struggled to second under Jose last season but have a pedigree of struggling to a top four finish....

sigh

That's Pogba gone. You cant expect to keep dissing your manager and get away with it but I feel at the same time if we had a more attacking manager they would get the best out of Pogba.

I don't think Jose would ever have Pogba in any of his previous clubs in the first place

And yet he signed him, to do what with, who ****ing knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I don’t post anymore because I’ve no interest. I actually chose not to watch the match tonight which is sad.

I want Jose out but it’s not happening so I’m taking a season off. My mental health is better for ignoring Utd games at the moment.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And yet he signed him, to do what with, who ****ing knows

I suspect it was a board signing and Jose doesn't know what the **** to do with him.

And the next season those same Chelsea players again underperformed and the manager got sacked.

Except it wasn’t the same players.

Morata for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Couple of potential banana skins ahead in the coming week.

Away to West Ham who are starting to show some form.

Our record not great in this fixture.
    2 wins out of last 6 in PL.

And then Valencia in the Champions League....

We could really do without this latest Pogba sideshow

Well done leaving out the part where Mourinho won a league with those players.

When did our players last win the league?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement