Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sean Dyche

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Gold lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sean Dyche

He eat worms. No deal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It would be Wenger and ye know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Drumpot wrote: »
    A huge issues is now if Jose goes what do United do,
    They should get manger with a plan give him 3 season to build a defence a midfield and a forward line, but the problem is the longer United go without a league title challenge the more impatient the fans get,
    If someone did come in the keeper is the only one who'd be odds on to start games, everyone else can be replaced, That's quite shocking , maybe Lakaku but if you want a fluid forward line I don't think he's your man,
    Zidane's been linked but at Real he had a great team to start with, In fact did he ever buy a good player for them ?
    Would he be trusted to spend the million United need to having never spent money before ,

Or maybe the club should Double down on the best coach we have had since SAF retired and let the shackles off on transfers. Let Jose be more involved and if he wants to sell Pogba and/or martial , then do it.

I could see that leading to success way quicker then the club getting in somebody knew and keeping within their current transfer policy of the last 5 years.
    Why give him more money, nearly all his signing have failed thus far , United after 3 season have no style or no direction , Jose hasn't been the same since his last Prem win with Chelsea,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dalglish left the Liverpool job because of the pressure and he had league titles under his belt. Hodgson was chased off after 6 months. Rodgers was gone just over a year after almost winning the league. The idea that the Liverpool job is somehow a no pressure holiday camp is fairytale stuff. If the results and the quality of the football are not there the manager is going to be in trouble.

Anyway this is a United discussion but had to pull you up on that.

You didn't pull me up on anything, you only changed the narrative to suit your stance.

What has Dalglish got to do with Liverpool 25 year later ? That's a silly comparison. Liverpool were top dogs then but the football landscape has changed since then.

I never said the Liverpool job was easy but in comparison to the United job it has less pressure and less expectation . .

Jose won the Euro league , league cup and got the club to its best league position in half a decade in Jose's first two full seasons. And Jose has always been under pressure and the fans not content with it . . What did Klopp do in his first two seasons and how much pressure was he under from the fans and media ?

• DM_7 wrote: »
    It would be Wenger and ye know it!

:D

Why give him more money, nearly all his signing have failed thus far , United after 3 season have no style or no direction , Jose hasn't been the same since his last Prem win with Chelsea,

Yeh, a total coincidence that the only club jose cant win a league and/or champions league is United .. Also a coincidence that our transfer policy has been abysmal since Gill and SAF left . .

But never mind this you keep peddling that "Jose has spent" milarky. Maybe in a few years when its even more obvious that the clubs transfer policy is a huge part of the problem and managers don't "buy" players, the club does based on its own selective criteria the penny will drop . .

This is you after another disappointing 5 years . .

giphy.gif

Yeh, a total coincidence that the only club jose cant win a league and/or champions league is United .. Also a coincidence that our transfer policy has been abysmal since Gill and SAF left . .

But never mind this you keep peddling that "Jose has spent" milarky. Maybe in a few years when its even more obvious that the clubs transfer policy is a huge part of the problem and managers don't "buy" players, the club does based on its own selective criteria the penny will drop . .

This is you after another disappointing 5 years  . .

giphy.gif

I'm a Liverpool fan so I don;lt really care , I'm just pointing out its quite obvious to everyone Jose is not the man he used to be,
    Transfer policy has nothing to do with that squad being beat by Brighton , drawing at home to Wolves and getting knocked out by Derby,
    Do you seriously think a forward thinking manger with the exact same players couldn't have united playing good attacking football , Come on man when the manger isn't fighting with his own players he has them playing some awful stuff,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Jose hasn't been the same since his last Prem win with Chelsea,

He suddenly recognized the existential futility of it all. Another league title? Meh, whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ferguson was the one lad holding the club together and he had a run of everything. Ever since he left, it's just been a downward spiral and consistently bad decisions made on & off the pitch IMO. United as a club had an ethos of attacking football, stability by sticking by the managers & bringing through young players.

Moyes ticked a couple of boxes there, but really was a bad choice and quickly sacked which was against United's ethos, but it was the start of the post-Ferguson decisions that continued to change the ethos of United

LVG came in with perceived attacking football at the time, bringing through youth players (again, ticking a few of the boxes of the United ethos) and brought through a lot and he was some bit consistent on the field but overall bad signings were made, with some terrible ones thrown in. Again, United's ethos was undermined when there was constant links to a new manager while he was manager and he got sacked the same day as winning a trophy.

Then finally Mouorinho came in. he didn't really tick any of the boxes of the United ethos - constantly leaving clubs in 3rd season, not playing attacking football & a history of ignoring youth players. United had abandoned their long term ethos for some short term success. He initially had success in the cups but league position was as bad as Moyes and worse than LVG. Next season improved in the league but still rumblings of fan unhappiness which continued into the 3rd season coupled with more bad signings and they look to be going backwards again in the league with more talk of manager upheaval.

A lot of bad decisions made on & off the field. Each manager has been backed heavily too but each have had different playing styles and want different players. all the constant chopping & changing affects this, and it's only going to continue for the next season - keeping Mourinho or not.

I'm a Liverpool fan so I don;lt really care , I'm just pointing out its quite obvious to everyone Jose is not the man he used to be,
    Transfer policy has nothing to do with that squad being beat by Brighton , drawing at home to Wolves and getting knocked out by Derby,
    Do you seriously think a forward thinking manger with the exact same players couldn't have united playing good attacking football , Come on man when the manger isn't fighting with his own players he has them playing some awful stuff,

You keep ignoring the question . What did Klopp do in his first two years as manager and what pressure was he under in comparison to Jose ?. . You don't want to answer because the United Job is far more difficult and has a lot more pressure attached then the Liverpool one . .

Jose won the league 4 years ago, not 27 like your Dalglish comparison . . And I think we all know why Liverpool fans are coming into this thread when United are in such bad shape and its not to educate united fans . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I could understand up and down seasons post Fergie - win some, lose some, not be in contention. Its to be expected. What I dont understand at all is the ongoing lack of any style or pattern. With the exception of a couple of Moyes early games and a 6 game burst for LVG, we're being outpassed and outplayed most weeks, winning in workmanlile manner. Why under 3 different managers can we not seem to pass the ball forwards in something approaching a cohesive manner? Why do we repeatedly go a goal up and freeze? These are all high level players who have played attacking stuff at other clubs. Why can they look so out of ideas at United, for so long? Even if management is bad, surely experience results in better than weve seen?

You keep ignoring the question . What did Klopp do in his first two years as manager and what pressure was he under in comparison to Jose ?. . You don't want to answer because the United Job is far more difficult and has a lot more pressure attached then the Liverpool one . .

Jose won the league 4 years ago, not 27 like your Dalglish comparison . . And I think we all know why Liverpool fans are coming into this thread when United are in such bad shape and its not to educate united fans . .
    Wrong poster ,i never said a word about Daglish ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

SIGN ALL THE MANAGERS!!!

X-All-The-Y.jpg

Wrong poster ,i never said a word about Daglish ?

My apologies on that . .

I do agree that another coach might get different results out of this squad but I don't necessarily think that would equate to better. Jose is a results/cups manager and he has done that at United . .

I didn't want Jose, but I don't believe he has been supported in the transfer market as much as people suggest. I don't think he has gotten to hand pick all signings like some are suggesting. I also think there is enough evidence to suggest the clubs transfer policy criteria is flawed and worked against managers they actually hired . .

And I don't think Jose has lost the ability to succeed. I think we have more reason to trust him then the club who has chosen managers and transfers and players not to sell over the last 6 years . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The key issue may be that there's a delta between the manager Mourinho was and the manager he now is. He's still a good manager, still produces things in the short term (but with a lower ceiling) but his projects are returning less over the first two years with every subsequent job he takes and the drop in form / results / atmosphere thereafter is becoming ever more pronounced and toxic.

He fell out with Hazard at Chelsea, now he's fallen out with Pogba. Look - we can say players are lazy, entitled and irritating and we'd probably be right but the fundamental task of a manager is to inspire and lead people. Have them buy into your vision. Manage talented egos and give them a platform to thrive. Mourinho lost the dressing room at Madrid; he lost the dressing room at Chelsea; is he losing the dressing room at Utd?

Chelsea gave him time in 2015 and the fans were as supportive as could have been realistically expected throughout the early part of that year. There was talk in places about allowing him a sabbatical through to the end of the season to refresh and return. Everyone wanted it to work out for it to be his first long term legacy project. Wanting it wasn't enough then and it probably won't be now. Huge game this weekend you'd think, but really through the end of October every negative result will be massively magnified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Wasn't suprised a whole lot by last night. Expecting poor displays is common plcae these days but I will say a few things.

I've been a big critic of Jose and persoanlly never wanted him to get the job (he's too much of a diva and loves creating a circus) and think his time is almost up but his stance on Pogba is correct. No player is bigger than the club and making the call to strip him of vice captaincy is fine by me, Pog's attitude stinks lately and Fergie used to get hailed for towing a tough line with the likes of Keane, Beckham and others. The manager has to be boss.

Saying that, the awful passive football Jose has us playing clearly isn't working, teams are finding it to easy to counter. There is a lot of talk here the everyone is failing the club, Woodward, the board, the players but for me its clear that Jose is failing outrightly the most. There is no attacking plan or style and he is responsible for that 100%.

It's typical 3/4th season syndrome from Jose, players get tired of his tatics and attitude, he starts casuing rifts with his media comments. Weve seen before. Jose will have his "the board didn't back me" excuse to fall back on in interviews after he leaves UTD, personally thats rubbish imo, 300m and we can't beat Derby, Wolves or Brighton. With adding zero players in the summer you don't expect to lose to any of them let alone have Dery passing better than you at home.

Some of the names he wanted to dont inspire confidence. Persic, Toby or Maguire? Yeah like if we got any of these world beaters Jose would have his perfect starting 11 and the free flowing attacking football would have begun.

For me the board have backed him enough, some of his choices of players haven't worked and he can't motivate this team. If the players are sick of him and have downed tools well its not noble but its still Jose who has not got them on baord and he simply is the one that must go.

As for when this should happen im not sure? Part of me says its too early but I think Juve and Valenica could have a field day with us so saving our UCL season is important. I think the league is gone. We would be in a scrap for 4th place if Jose stays or I could even see him repeating his first season finish minus the european and domestic trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Im just sick of all these Jose said this about Pogba and Pogba said this about Jose, that nonsense that gets put out after nearly every game no matter the result

If all this stories are true then I think the time is coming that one of them or the two of them needs to go and the club can try and make a fresh start again.

I've been a big critic of Jose and persoanlly never wanted him to get the job (he's too much of a diva and loves creating a circus) and think his time is almost up but his stance on Pogba is correct. No player is bigger than the club and making the call to strip him of vice captaincy is fine by me, Pog's attitude stinks lately and Fergie used to get hailed for towing a tough line with the likes of Keane, Beckham and others. The manager has to be boss.

The interesting thing about Becks was that SAF was happy to sell him at his peak. They fell out and Becks attitude never changed on the pitch.

The difference with Pogba is that he doesn't have that temperament but it also looks like he has leverage over the manager . . He isn't happy so wants off and will drag the team down while he makes his point . . This is not good for the club on any level . .

Interesting again that its two of the most successful coach's of the last 30 years (Jose and SAF) couldn't make it work with Pogba . . Its more interesting that people are happy to excuse it as these managers being outdated when both won league titles without Pogba over the last few years . .

But something I thought about is that Becks was a marketers dream. As good as he was his marketable value was nearly worth more then his talent. I am not insulting him but Beckham was comparable to Pogba in the "personal Brand" department.

There is a reason managers, pundits and some fans are having to defend Pogba. There is a reason why Pogba divides opinion . .

I was reading Pogba's stats on his first 6 Prem games this season, and they are absolutely shocking.

No player has been dispossessed more times than him.
    No player has had more unsuccessful touches.
    Not a SINGLE interception!!!
    68 midfield players have made more tackles!!
    Take away the 3 pens, for which he pulled rank on (one missed), and he has ONE assist so far

• Advertisement

I was reading Pogba's stats on his first 6 Prem games this season, and they are absolutely shocking.

Take away the 3 pens, for which he pulled rank on (one missed), and he has ONE assist so far

Something something Jose . .

Something something Juve . .

Something something France . .

Something something some player somewhere did worse . .

Something something global warming . .

Something something something something proves something therefore you are wrong . . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Is it odd to suggest their public falling out means Pogba not giving his all for the team because of his dislike for the manager? I say this because he was good at the world cup and he does have it in his locker to be influential on the pitch. I suppose Pogba should be professional enough to play well for the team. In terms of age and everything he's your prized asset. He's not alone in underachieving that's for sure...Sanchez has been worst.

Mourinho falls out with too many players in general it seems. I would have thought he would have learnt his lesson at Madrid where at the end senior players couldn't wait to see the back of him. That infamous time where at half time he told the players he would sub them all if he could.

And yet he has probable been our best player along with shaw and de gea

bangkok wrote: »

I feel like we have gotten more from Fellani to be honest .. And of course Lukaku didn't have a pre season and still came back to play as early as he could . .

Pogbas application is a massive issue. His performances for united and France are chalk and cheese and you have no fair explanation for this . . All you do is lower the bar and look to blame everything else until you rationalise Pogbas poor efforts for United.

Perhaps the team is under performing because its being built around Pogba . . Maybe we are paying a big price for Jose giving Pogba what he wants . . Maybe the team sees how much Pogba is under mining Jose and are not comfortable with it . . Maybe they are asking why Pogba is the focal point when hes not giving the same performances he gave with France . . I have no doubt the players want France Pogba, but I have also no doubt they are wondering where France Pogba goes when he puts on a United jersey . .

I feel like we have gotten more from Fellani to be honest .. And of course Lukaku didn't have a pre season and still came back to play as early as he could . .

Pogbas application is a massive issue. His performances for united and France are chalk and cheese and you have no fair explanation for this . . All you do is lower the bar and look to blame everything else until you rationalise Pogbas poor efforts for United.

Perhaps the team is under performing because its being built around Pogba . . Maybe we are paying a big price for Jose giving Pogba what he wants . .

Fellaini has 0.3 interceptions in the league so id say thats a fairly nonsense stat to be honest to push an agenda

Fellaini has 0.3 interceptions in the league so id say thats a fairly nonsense stat to be honest to push an agenda

Ha, that's still more interceptions then Pogba . .

What about your agenda to ignore any evidence that suggests Pogba has been anything other then fully committed to the United cause ? . .

Pogba . . The player who couldn't thrive under two of the greatest managers of the last 30 years . . Clearly a manager issue . . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

At this stage with Pogba you'd have to say it's time to move him on.
    I understand he's frustrated with Jose, but he's turning Manchester United into the Paul Pogba soap opera.
    If he was producing the goods on the pitch you could begin to forgive him, but if he's asking to leave then we should get rid of him. Let him go in January, we're not going to bring in as big a name as him next summer anyway, we can't do good business in the transfer market so just use our academy players, try and build a cohesive side instead of throwing hundreds of millions at players who don't have a basic level of respect for the club. We're not going to win anything this season and will most likely just make top ten in the league, it's a time to blood youngsters.

Glazers Out!

De Gea has been pretty awful bar one good save v Watford,
    Shaw has been decent and just not a mess like before so is getting praise like he is Maldini all of a sudden,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The optics really aren't great. Surely they're smarter than to look like anything other than getting on when there are cameras on.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1044906594318929921

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Footage of Jose and Pogba from training today!

https://twitter.com/skysportsnews/status/1044906594318929921?s=21

• Advertisement

What about your agenda to ignore any evidence that suggests Pogba has been anything other then fully committed to the United cause ? . .

Pogba . . The player who couldn't thrive under two of the greatest managers of the last 30 years . . Clearly a manager issue . . :pac:

Pogba was a kid under fergie playing in the youth team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

SlickRic wrote: »
    The optics really aren't great. Surely they're smarter than to look like anything other than getting on when there are cameras on.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1044906594318929921

oh terrific.. Camera rolling, surely Pogba could show a bit of fitnesse/cop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I really wish this revisionisim of Jose would stop. Early Jose was hungry and a different animal than what we have seen in the last 3 years, this one of the greatest manager of the last whatever doesn't and shouldnt buy him any more time when he is currently underpreforming.

If your targets dropped this much at any other high pressure job you would be in trouble too and saying to managment "but yeah 4 years ago i was always on time and meeting the targets and deadlines" would cut you little slack.

You dont need to be a body language expert there to know jose said something smart to pogba

it could have been love but its over now

it could have been love but its over now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Could have left camera roll more there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Could have left camera roll more there

Oh I'd guess we'll hear all about it later off Pogbas Instagram or from his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nice Greenwood is still traing with seniors :)

Only noteworthy thing in the clip really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Pogba knows the camera's are at training today.
    He knows going over to the coaches & Mourinho could cause something.

The 2 of them really are conducting themselves poorly. Mourinho's comment about Jones was very poor last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No he didn’t sign them, the club did. Which ones were players Jose identified and which ones were the ones met the clubs criteria?

Oh wait we don’t know for sure. Managers have to publically support signed players while they are still in that job so any quotes you have will be them towing the line.

Like the way LVG only spoke out about the clubs transfer policy after he left. He was told Shaw and Herrera were signing when he joined. They were identified Over a year before LVG joined. This is irrefutable proof that the club has its own transfer strategy...

Incidentally, in spite of some of these failed signings the club has its best league position finish since SAF left. So what does that tell us about Jose?

Considering we all draw this information from the same places, journalists and the likes, the ones most credited with close ties to Mourinho all indicate with utter confidence that all the players signed have been players he wanted and signed off on recruiting, and the only real transfer issues have emerged this summer, whereby the club refused to secure his other targets.

In my mind, there is definitely no "club signing players not manager" scenario going on here, absolutely zero at all.

The only slight odd situation was the revelations that Mhikitaryian was bought in order to secure both Pogba and Ibrahimovic, and apparently Jose was looking to offload him during the first winter window as he felt he didn't have the mental characteristics he likes.

Stating or believing the club are signing players over the manager is a pretty big claim, and I'd love to see some solid indication of this. Because there is pretty solid stuff outlining its the opposite.

MD1990 wrote: »

Pogba knows the camera's are at training today.
    He knows going over to the coaches & Mourinho could cause something.

The 2 of them really are conducting themselves poorly. Mourinho's comment about Jones was very poor last night.
    Ye I thought last night his comments on Jones where out of line, 
    Could you see another Prem manger say that about a plyer who missed in a shootout ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »

This.

Pogba and Mourinho are acting like children. It's bizarre. They know how the media game works. They know cameras are on them. Do they want this to drag on more than it's already doing?

Mind boggling stuff.

I should also say having had a think about this last night, with what has transpired with Pogba and all that has gone on. And as a massive fan and defender of his, I'm taking the managers side in this.

Power residing with players is not what this club should be allowing and is not the type of club I want to see. As much as it will be a devastating loss and may well have some reverberating impacts on the types of players we can attract and the real progress we can make, the club should move to allow Pogba move to Barca in January for profit, and we should if not already be identifying replacements and reinforcement for January.

As much as I rate Pogba and don't rate Mourinho, the club cannot allow a situation develop whereby the manager is undermined by players who believe they are more important.

They can try one more attempt to patch it up, but at this stage its going on so long, I'd probably just agree with the idea of moving him on.

And if the club arn't prepared to back the manager in his ideas, then they need to move him on also. **** them both out. This nonsense between them cannot continue, and the manager cannot keep operating with excuses. Whatever about how I don't rate him or dislike his play and what he has and will continue to turn the team into, if it works, creates a competitive team and creates some harmony at the club for a while longer, I'll swallow the bitter pill and just get on with it.

Ye I thought last night his comments on Jones where out of line, 
    Could you see another Prem manger say that about a plyer who missed in a shootout ,

Jones and Bailly!!

• Advertisement

I wonder is that the footage of jose telling pogba he will no longer be captain??

beno619 wrote: »
    Thought Fellaini was excellent last night as always.

Fellaini ball is a viable tactic when executed properly, getting the ball wide and putting decent balls into the box not centre halfs pumping aimless 60 yards balls up the field.

Its a bug bearer of mine we dont use him properly when we use him, late in games when we do go long to him he only ever gets one runner off him when we should get more players around him for the breaking ball but thats a bit beside the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    This.

Pogba and Mourinho are acting like children. It's bizarre. They know how the media game works. They know cameras are on them. Do they want this to drag on more than it's already doing?

Mind boggling stuff.

They are both similar.

Self absorbed both concerned about their own achievements & winning this little "battle".

Mourinho has belittled Man Utd's European record last season to try & ease pressure on himself. And after Spurs said how he has won 2 PL titles. Constantly living in the past.

Man Utd fans should want both out of the club asap.

Hah and now I just see the footage from training.

Seriously Woodward needs to call these two into his office and have a ****ing stern word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How do people think Mourinho can turn things around? Is it a case of waiting until January and giving him money?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement