Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

This was last season or season before, but id love to hear keanes thoughts now...

https://youtu.be/uVVUdpHV7Zw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

International football is bang average, he's 30 in Jan and there's a reason he's at Inter and not a big European club .
    Gotze and Materazzi both scored in world cup finals hardly brilliant players ,
    He's a decent player and that about it ,

Your wasting your breath. Some will convince themselves Jose is still right for us but its as clear as day he's not. We have a passive neutered attacking style, a manager that believes in not making defensive mistakes before attacking, except he can't get the attack or defense working.

There is not questions over whether this would have worked with Persic or Toby, its clear there is so much wrong right now that they wouldn't. They are not gonna get a ineffectie MF and forward line and isolated attack working. Jose would still have rifts with Pogba and Martial.

This just isn't working and the majority of it is because of our manager who has been backed massively but hey, there is enough media spin for him and his fans to have an excuse to fall back on.

A very simple fact remains that first team isn't good enough to compete for a league, players still need to be signed, weather it's Jose Woodward or the next manager, a season that started bad is getting worse and unless Jose and pogba somehow manage to work together properly we are fecked.

If pogba continues to play without doing any defensive work it sends a bad message to the players that do if he gets dropped from the squad we lose a lot of our creativity in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It's obvious Pogba thinks very highly of himself and his image he's alway came across as flash and even when he was younger you got the impression this guy taught he was a big deal!

If he plays well and is of benefit to the team that's great but at this point I'd love to see him gone in January and see the team play as a team and not a bunch of players thrown into systems to allow "the star" to play when it suits him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

##

If Jose isn't getting to choose the players he wants then he isn't getting the players he wants, not that I beleive that.

As I said, not for one moment do I believe that Fred, Bailly, Lindy, Miki, Dalot, Lukaku are Woodward signings. If he's going for marquee signings then that doesn't hold up.

Matic, Zlatan and Lukaku are all Jose targets who worked with him previously and again not Woodward signings. So out of everyone signed in Jose's reign your left with Pogba and Sanchez. Sanchez was the same age as Miki when we did the swap and both are the same age as Persic. I doubt anyone would have argued that Sanchez was the better of those three. So why Is Sanchez constantly being played on the right with Martial previously on the left a lot? The same could have happend to Persic and we have another undrepreforming winger, and who in world football would turned down Pogba, I'm sure Jose said yes please.

Lets keep this on the signings and United.

Matic, Lukaku and Zlatan. . I can see them certainly being the kind of characters Jose signs. Actual leaders on the pitch who don't need others around them to perform well and can lead by example. Lukaku's recent poor form doesn't take away from the fact he has shown a great workrate and capacity to learn more qualities (he is better at linking up players then he was when he joined).

Ok, so lets look at Sanchez. . Jose wanted Perisic and didn't get him. We don't know why. It wasn't because United couldn't afford him. Jose said publicly he wanted him which suggests he might of had an idea that the player would be interested in the move. It didn't happen. I believe it was most likely because Perisic has no resale value and is not marketable. I don't think the club wants these kind of players. Whether Perisic would of succeded or failed is not relevant if the manager wanted him.

So then sanchez. . He is leaving Arsenal. He wants to join City and looks the world to be joining them. Miki has failed at United and the spot an opportunity to offload a player they don't want and get a player they do want for free. So Sanchez salary may be high but he was a cheaper option (transfer and getting Miki off the wage bill) for the club. He was a popular signing as no fan was disappointed with it, but it wasn't Jose's first choice. That's relevant. The reason there aren't many swap transfers is because they are so difficult to get all parties to agree. In this case it worked out because both clubs wanted to make it happen. I am not saying Jose didn't want Sanchez, I am saying had he a choice I believe there is a strong chance he would of preferred the club signed Perisic and sold Miki separately.

So the club doesn't sign perisic who Jose wanted in the summer. Its always preferable to have the first team you want in the Summer. They then sign a different player mid season which actually affected Martial . . This on its own shows the clubs poor method of getting the manager the players he wants . .

Now lets look at the other players you mentioned. Fred, Bailly, Lindy and Dalot. Fred and Dalot don't look too bad. Bailly and Lindy cost less then Van Diyk so I don't see them as a massive outlay. . We cant expect every transfer to work out. .

When you boil down the individual transfers they aren't actually as bad as you are making out. There is also enough to suggest that Jose does not get to choose all he wants . .

You don't seem to want to make any comments on Woodward stating his reputation on the line on the Pogba purchase . . Why is that ? Why do you feel Woodward is not compromised by the fact he needs Pogba to succeed as a player?

And then there is the players the club signed (Herrera/Shaw) that you again fail to acknowledge. This is evidence the club does sign players it has targeted.

I think that the last 5 years transfer activities have been a mixture of club and manager priorities. Changing managers hasn't worked and sacking the most successful manager during that period wont change the failed transfer strategy.

It's obvious Pogba thinks very highly of himself and his image he's alway came across as flash and even when he was younger you got the impression this guy taught he was a big deal!

If he plays well and is of benefit to the team that's great but at this point I'd love to see him gone in January and see the team play as a team and not a bunch of players thrown into systems to allow "the star" to play when it suits him!

Pogba is probably our best outfield player and has started season very well.

What about last night v derby? No pogba, we play shockingly bad, need a last sec goal to take game to penos but deserved to go out.

Its all pointing towards manager. Players afraid to play, dropping back too deep. Tactics are a mess

bangkok wrote: »
    Pogba is probably our best outfield player and has started season very well.

What about last night v derby? No pogba, we play shockingly bad, need a last sec goal to take game to penos but deserved to go out.

Its all pointing towards manager. Players afraid to play, dropping back too deep. Tactics are a mess

The team is being built around him that's the problem. United have some brilliant players who just aren't performing for whatever reason. Weather it's on thrm or Jose it makes no difference the fact matter is the manager has given Pogba every chance to be the driving force in the team but more often then not he's thrown that back in his face.

His attitude is awful he's not a team player and he's making it all about him. There's no doubt a lot of our attacking play goes threw him yes because the team is built to be that way. Without him or when he isn't performing then it's even worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    On the other hand, how often will Phil Jones ever take a penalty? Spending time training in something you might do once every three or four years seems a waste of time.

He's a professional footballer, he shouldn't be a guaranteed miss from the penalty spot.

Who forced Ramos into becoming a penalty taker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

nullzero wrote: »
    It seems like a fair few people here are dazzled by Pogba's celebrity.
    Really? I see almost no evidence for that reading the posts. Apart from one or two posters most on here would be happy to see the back of Pogba. Most people on here seem capable of separating their dislike of Pogba with the fact that Jose seems to be handling the situation very poorly.

On the other hand I do see a fair few people who are blinded by Jose's past successes. Their thinking seems to be- Jose has been successful in the past, therefore whatever he is doing must be in the best interest of the club. And if it's not working it must be everyone else's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Need to get Zlatan back.

No leadership since he left.

Maybe he could be player manager.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Keane was thrown out when he was well past his best. He said plenty of things while in his prime and got away with it.

Wasnt Tevez only on loan?

Beckham, meh, solid player but wasn't all that, his brand was better then his ability.

Sharpe and Kanchelsius I don't remember much of, I was a young lad.

Keane was tolerated as his was constantly World Class.

I used to think the same about Beckham, but that's some solid revisionism. He was an important part to one of their best ever teams. He wasn't a flying winger, but his accuracy could take an entire midfield and backline out of a game and lead to goal. He worked incredibly hard too as he knew he wasn't as skillful as Giggs and the rest.

I'd take someone with his attitude and skill in a heartbeat in the team now, and so should everyone. Again, I used to believe it, but in review his time at the club was top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Bycot the club for the year how many games a year do you go to?

Comparing United to food and phones, for me from an early age I grew up watching united and look forward to every game through good and bad.

If you clasify yourself as a customer and they are equavilent of phones and burgers it may be best you go support city.

In the bad times you really see who are true fans and those who are glory hunters.

Lol. :) Grow up.

The team is being built around him that's the problem. United have some brilliant players who just aren't performing for whatever reason. Weather it's on thrm or Jose it makes no difference the fact matter is the manager has given Pogba every chance to be the driving force in the team but more often then not he's thrown that back in his face.

His attitude is awful he's not a team player and he's making it all about him. There's no doubt a lot of our attacking play goes threw him yes because the team is built to be that way. Without him or when he isn't performing then it's even worse!

What about attitude of players last night? Why were they so poor in their play, creating little chances, slow attacking, massive gaps between back and front?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Keane was tolerated as his was constantly World Class.

I used to think the same about Beckham, but that's some solid revisionism. He was an important part to one of their best ever teams. He wasn't a flying winger, but his accuracy could take an entire midfield and backline out of a game and lead to goal. He worked incredibly hard too as he knew he wasn't as skillful as Giggs and the rest.

I'd take someone with his attitude and skill in a heartbeat in the team now, and so should everyone. Again, I used to believe it, but in review his time at the club was top class.

Beckham was a class player, super attitude, if he was in the current united team he would be our best player by a long way

What about attitude of players last night? Why were they so poor in their play, creating little chances, slow attacking, massive gaps between back and front?

There's issues with most of the squad been saying it for long time now serious attitude problems at the club since Fergie retired. It's like when your teacher calls in sick and you went mental and trashed the place cause stand in couldn't handle yous!

I have issue with the likes of Pogba because he's expected to be the main guy in the team our number one signing. It's not just him I can't wait to see rid of Martial another guy who thinks he's above others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Just seen the video. Be an interesting press conference on Friday.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I’m a Spurs fan and I have to say that this post really saddens me. If you’re likening your football club to burgers or iPhones then you don’t get it.

The post stinks of entitlement. Supporting your club through thick and thin was there long before anyone associated marketing with football.

To be honest I meant what I wrote but I wrote it for the fun of seeing what reaction I’d get and it didn’t fail. The “True Fan” “Glory Hunter” nonsense came out. I don’t even want to address that level of stupidity but I cannot sit around and slaughter the manager and players like all the other true fans in here. It’s not my style. I would rather distance myself from caring while this embarrassing phase continues instead of flippantly slagging off players and managers based on the performance of the last game.

The way the club is ran is farcical and if we are aiming for the 4th place trophy every year to maximise profit then I would rather just enjoy football as a whole rather than stressing myself out about something I have no control over.

I’ll support from a far in hopeful silence instead of adding to the rage filled noise that accompanies every bad pass/shot/goal/tactic/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jaysus gsp I haven't seen that much backtracking on a comment since klopp broke a couple transfer records.

Just seen the video. Be an interesting press conference on Friday.

Jose can just fob it off as player and manager having a serious talk on field... He can make up any crap as far as I am concerned once the target is to protect the club. Ferguson had absolute contempt for the press and we loved it. I know Jose is not perfect but as long as he’s United’s manager and I think he is as ambitious as he has always been I will support his decisions when it comes to the media.

People presume we need to hear Jose tell us everything and communicate with the fans. He doesn’t need to do that at all. I don’t remember SAF always explaining every decision he made or played he discarded as it happened. We didn’t care why he did whatever he did because he was the manager and we accepted what he was doing was best for the club.

There is literally nothing we can take from Pogba that suggests he’s doing anything good for the club. Some fans can click their heels together three times and usher “Pogba has been our best player” but it doesn’t make it so....

jayo26 wrote: »
    Jaysus gsp I haven't seen that much backtracking on a comment since klopp broke a couple transfer records.

:) Ha. I said in the first line i meant it. I was just elaborating on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

People think it's all over this instagram post...

https://www.twitter.com/_Zoobz/status/1044995100294762497

Apparently you can hear Mourinho say "Instagram" in the clip from the training ground.

We're a proper circus these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

J. Marston wrote: »

Apparently you can hear Mourinho say "Instagram" in the clip from the training ground.

2nd video has subtitles

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1044992390862376960

Your team has lost a game they were expected to win. You are the clubs vice captain. You weren’t on the bench and were at the game... You decide to post an instagram message that shows you laughing and saying “why are we smiling?”.

And this is harmless fun and good for the team how exactly? Come on Pogba defenders , give me some of that Pogba coolaid....

A part of me wonders if he genuinely isnt the sharpest tool in the shed. It’s actually the best defense he has. He looked surprised at training and if this was actually in reference to the post , then why was Pogba surprised that it might not be the best thing to post after a defeat?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Your team has lost a game they were expected to win. You are the clubs vice captain. You weren’t on the bench and were at the game... You decide to post an instagram message that shows you laughing and saying “why are we smiling?”.

And this is harmless fun and good for the team how exactly? Come on Pogba defenders , give me some of that Pogba coolaid....

A part of me wonders if he genuinely isnt the sharpest tool in the shed. It’s actually the best defense he has. He looked surprised at training and if this was actually in reference to the post , then why was Pogba surprised that it might not be the best thing to post after a defeat?

Pogba defenders?? He posted that video at start of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Pogba defenders?? He posted that video at start of game.

Yeah it looks like it was recorded in the first half - so when we were winning 1 nil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apparently Pogba rubbed people even more up the wrong way by playing loud music on the bus on the way to the Wolves match. I'm guessing it wasn't Chopin's nocturnes.:P

tumblr_lumel3G9CA1qbi2y7o1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

FWIW my data connection there last night was terrible :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Generally always is at games, concerts, etc., anytime you've a crowd of people that big.

• Advertisement

West Ham winning 7-0!!

Jesus 7-0 if they only beat us by 5 it'll be a great result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

8 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's the magic of the consolation cup ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No quadruple for Liverpool.

Small victories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say that Liverpool fans group who post on YouTube asking who can beat Liverpool are looking pretty stupid. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Schadenfreude

If so, it was handled very poorly by jose. Even calling 'john' over making it very akward for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No quadruple for Liverpool.

Small victories.

I couldn't give a sh1te about them losing a league Cup tie but there is a hint of karma for the pool fans gloating over our loss last night. Moral victory no doubt for them, all defeats for them typically are.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

29th edition of its definitely our year this year just hit a bump

Was hoping liverpool went through, less games now for them in their quest to win the league

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Video was made while we were winning.............

He was removed as vice captain before the game........

Anything else you want to make up?

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Video was made while we were winning.............

He was removed as vice captain before the game........

Anything else you want to make up?

Spot on there Rossi. This nullifys everything negative said about Pogba. What was I thinking?

I mean now that I think about it he’s unfairly targeted for criticism and doesn’t bring drama on himself in anyway, it just finds him.

He’s a superb leader, a general among men.... A shining beacon of true blue steel character and grit made from Sex panther that permeates from his very soul and stings the nostrils it’s so powerful.. A peno king. A Bobby dazzler.... A Katie perry. A stand up guy. . A consistent performer who could only give more to the Man united cause by cloning himself and playing alongside each other in the same team...

Paul Pogba.. I salute you ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pogba shouldn't be on bloody social media during a match anyway. If you post anything during a game it can come back and bite you in the asś.

Maybe just watch the game, be an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I salute the one assist in the Premier league. Which is one more than the amount of tackles and interceptions made in six games. Just what I want from a midfielder.

Seriosuly, we wouldn't accept that from Periera or McTominey, why do we accept it from the guy who is supposed to be the fulcrum of the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I salute the one assist in the Premier league. Which is one more than the amount of tackles and interceptions made in six games. Just what I want from a midfielder.

Seriosuly, we wouldn't accept that from Periera or McTominey, why do we accept it from the guy who is supposed to be the fulcrum of the team?

I suspect the answer will be..

"But Paul pogba"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Spot on there Rossi. This nullifys everything negative said about Pogba. What was I thinking?

I mean now that I think about it he’s unfairly targeted for criticism and doesn’t bring drama on himself in anyway, it just finds him.

He’s a superb leader, a general among men.... A shining beacon of true blue steel character and grit made from Sex panther that permeates from his very soul and stings the nostrils it’s so powerful.. A peno king. A Bobby dazzler.... A Katie perry. A stand up guy. . A consistent performer who could only give more to the Man united cause by cloning himself and playing alongside each other in the same team...

This is pathetic... Where has this poster been praising Pogba to the hilt or absolving him of any blame?

It's so weird on here. Say something like "Pogba has been a bit sh*t but he's not the problem in this particular instant" and you more than likely to be accused of been a Pogba fanboy, of drinking the Pogba kool-aid or being "dazzled by his celebrity." But the mildest criticism of Jose will bring those same posters frothing about nothing can be his fault and it is all down to the board and every single player. There is a total lack of nuanced thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This is pathetic... Where has this poster been praising Pogba to the hilt or absolving him of any blame?

It's so weird on here. Say something like "Pogba has been a bit sh*t but he's not the problem in this particular instant" and you more than likely to be accused of been a Pogba fanboy, of drinking the Pogba kool-aid or being "dazzled by his celebrity." But the mildest criticism of Jose will bring those same posters frothing about nothing can be his fault and it is all down to the board and every single player. There is a total lack of nuanced thought.

Pretty much for the duration of his time in the team Pogba has had excuses made for him by Bangkok, like every single time. Last year it was "he was in the uefa cup team of the year". This year it's been "he's a leader in the French dressing room". It's literally only in the last week or so that I've seen that poster say anything that wasn't fawning about Pogba and that's simply because even the most unerringly myopic people cannot ignore his sub standard performances.

He was the same in his criticism of Fellaini for years and it's only in the recent past that he has had any kind of climb down there, again, simply because it couldn't be ignored.

People get sick of the same lines of absolute scutter been posted and the poster of said scutter will get called out on it.

're Jose, even his most ardent supporters on here have criticised him when criticism was warranted so to say other wise is straw manning. People have defended him but not even close to the levels bangkok has gone to to absolve Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Pogba since coming to United has not had the impact a player who cost 85 or so million. It's a joke in my eye's that he even captained the team when I think back at some of the great captains we had . Buchanan Robson Keane all gave everything on the pitch. Seen him on the bench the other night more like a rapper than a football player. If he is what were building a team around were doomed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement