Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pretty much for the duration of his time in the team Pogba has had excuses made for him by Bangkok, like every single time. Last year it was "he was in the uefa cup team of the year". This year it's been "he's a leader in the French dressing room". It's literally only in the last week or so that I've seen that poster say anything that wasn't fawning about Pogba and that's simply because even the most unerringly myopic people cannot ignore his sub standard performances.

He was the same in his criticism of Fellaini for years and it's only in the recent past that he has had any kind of climb down there, again, simply because it couldn't be ignored.

People get sick of the same lines of absolute scutter been posted and the poster of said scutter will get called out on it.

're Jose, even his most ardent supporters on here have criticised him when criticism was warranted so to say other wise is straw manning. People have defended him but not even close to the levels bangkok has gone to to absolve Pogba.

Bull****

This year he has been nominated for our player of the month for august and will more than likely be nominated for our potm for september

I also wonder do you even watch our games.. you described pogbas performance v watford as "atrocious" when he was one of the best players on the field, so not sure how you came to that conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Pogba since coming to United has not had the impact a player who cost 85 or so million. It's a joke in my eye's that he even captained the team when I think back at some of the great captains we had . Buchanan Robson Keane all gave everything on the pitch. Seen him on the bench the other night more like a rapper than a football player. If he is what were building a team around were doomed.

He's had two years, that's TWO YEARS to settle in and find some sort of rhythm.

He's the most expensive player in the squad, somebody younger players look up to and he hasn't even looked interested in those two years.
    Is it any wonder Anthony Martial's attitude and performances have dropped off a cliff over the last two years with Pogba as a role model?

Jose hasn't played exciting football but that doesn't explain never mind excuse Pogba's performance levels. Pogba wants out of the club, has linked himself with City ffs, he has essentially done everything he can to alienate himself from the United fans.
    He should be sold in January and left training with the reserves until then because his absence from the side won't be felt anyway.

I don't see this spat as Pogba V Jose, it's more Pogba V United at this stage and we need to make a statement and fast.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I salute the one assist in the Premier league. Which is one more than the amount of tackles and interceptions made in six games. Just what I want from a midfielder.

Seriosuly, we wouldn't accept that from Periera or McTominey, why do we accept it from the guy who is supposed to be the fulcrum of the team?

OK then let me ask you..

If Pogba has been that bad, someone even calling him the "cancer of the team", then why after 3 years is he still the fulcrum of the team?

Surely if he is as bad as is being made out then we wouldn't of won a few cups over the 3 years and finished 2nd last year with him being the fulcrum of the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

bangkok wrote: »
    Bull****

This year he has been nominated for our player of the month for august and will more than likely be nominated for our potm for september

Nominated by who? Club sports journalists whoever they are.

I doubt there could be any marketing decisions in such nominations not when the most marketable player in the world is involved

http://www.sportspromedia.com/most-marketable

No way, nothing to see there.

All this pogba talk... what about the defeat to Derby the other night?? What about our poor tactics, poor attacking and defending? Poor passing in midfield, poor everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    OK then let me ask you..

If Pogba has been that bad, someone even calling him the "cancer of the team", then why after 3 years is he still the fulcrum of the team?

Surely if he is as bad as is being made out then we wouldn't of won a few cups over the 3 years and finished 2nd last year with him being the fulcrum of the team.

Oh, are we doing well now? Is two cups and bringing the side back to 2nd actually a good thing now?

Because I would have thought that a bit of progress but the manager is going to get sacked on the back of it so I'm not sure any more.

Anyway, to your point, I noted his stats from the start of this season not over 3 years. But why is he the fulcrum of the team? Because he was bought to be that fulcrum and so for 2 years the manager has accommodated him and changed the team to suit him in an attempt to get him to be that fulcrum.

Thats why he became the fulcrum. Why is he still the fulcrum today? ****ed if I know, if I was the manager he would have been ****ed out the door once it became clear he was going to mope around the field when asked to have a little discipline in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

OK then let me ask you..

You don't have to keep dropping your fulcrum of the team to get him to perform. Takes a disease a while to spread.well spread now this year.as for the cups wouldn't really shout to much about those and wouldn't of minded finishing second last year if I even thought a tiny bit that we looked like challenging this year and playing decent football . Sorry if pogba is the talisman of man utd were truely fukced.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Nominated by who? Club sports journalists whoever they are.

I doubt there could be any marketing decisions in such nominations not when the most marketable player in the world is involved

http://www.sportspromedia.com/most-marketable

No way, nothing to see there.

Brilliant v young boys, watford and burnley and our best player v wolves. Doesnt say much for the other lads on the team that get a free ride

Brilliant v young boys, watford and burnley and our best player v wolves. Doesnt say much for the other lads on the team that get a free ride

Sorry. Brilliant is a word so easily used now. Used to hear it said many times about Ronaldo giggs beckham scholes the list could go on .Havnt seen much brilliance from Pogba in those game's.

Sorry. Brilliant is a word so easily used now. Used to hear it said many times about Ronaldo giggs beckham scholes the list could go on .Havnt seen much brilliance from Pogba in those game's.

https://youtu.be/smxtumjXl1I

Highlights in champions league

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/smxtumjXl1I

Highlights in champions league

Is this not what he was bought to do in most games. Is this not the way he should be playing to justify his wages and you would expect this from a player when 85 million is his price. As I said nothing brilliant here just what he should be doing in most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah a youtube video. Where Bebe and Obertan can look like Messi. Thats seals it.

1) Oh, are we doing well now? Is two cups and bringing the side back to 2nd actually a good thing now? Because I would have thought that a bit of progress but the manager is going to get sacked on the back of it so I'm not sure any more.

2)Anyway, to your point, I noted his stats from the start of this season not over 3 years. But why is he the fulcrum of the team? Because he was bought to be that fulcrum and so for 2 years the manager has accommodated him and changed the team to suit him in an attempt to get him to be that fulcrum.

3)Thats why he became the fulcrum. Why is he still the fulcrum today? ****ed if I know, if I was the manager he would have been ****ed out the door once it became clear he was going to mope around the field when asked to have a little discipline in midfield.

On the first point yes I would of thought that that was an upwards progression. Untill Sevilla happened, that was bad and he said stuff after the game that wasn't right.

On 2, yes he was bought to be the fulcrum of the team and some of the time he hasn't turned up, we can all see that, however he has turned up alot more than is being credited for.

On 3, he has been disciplined mostly, he didn't get a stupid red card in the Watford game to miss the Wolves game for example. But yes for a 20 min spell in the Wolves game he was poor, he did give away the ball for their goal, but he also created our goal which is forgotten.

Sanchez was got to star on the left wing..... Has he?
    Bailly was bought to be the rock at the back.....Is he?
    Rashford was compared to be similar to Mbappe and Gabriel Jesus, he has declined alot.

and that is just 3 examples.

I'm seeing alot more issues in the squad than the people who are just blaming Pogba, as iv said already the problem goes much deeper than him.

At the end of the day this mess is splitting the fan base which is a sad thing to see and there will be no winners from it. If either or both go it will just mean United are doing badly on and off the pitch.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah a youtube video. Where Bebe and Obertan can look like Messi. Thats seals it.

It was to prove a moment of brilliance.

Also would you send me a video of bebe or obertan dominating a champ league game. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thats why he became the fulcrum. Why is he still the fulcrum today? ****ed if I know, if I was the manager he would have been ****ed out the door once it became clear he was going to mope around the field when asked to have a little discipline in midfield.

Jose said he should be referred to as coach. If you were manager of united it seems you don’t get to decide who leaves or joins...

I still think the club backing Jose and offloading Pogba could get things back on track.

Anyway, derby, seems like nobody wants to discuss it as it all points towards a jose shambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So Pogba was nominated for our August player of the month.

Did he win it?

Being nominated for a club player of the month means fcuk all because

1) it's something that has to happen, for us it's not best player, its a case of least shyte player.

2) other players like Sanchez or Lukaku have been dirt but they aren't in the press pissing and moaning about the manager while fluttering their eyelids at Barcelona.

It goes back to my original point to uncleoswald and illustrates it perfectly, Pogba gets defended to the nth degree by Bangkok and people are sick of the same oul soapboxing crap from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

On 3, he has been disciplined mostly, he didn't get a stupid red card in the Watford game to miss the Wolves game for example. But yes for a 20 min spell in the Wolves game he was poor, he did give away the ball for their goal, but he also created our goal which is forgotten.

By discipline I don't mean cards, I mean doing the job he has been asked to do for the team. He was initially asked to play alongside Matic in midfield but apparently that isn't fair on him and playing in central midfield was a waste of his talent. So now we always have to have an extra midfielder in there to help him, Matic as a DM isn't enough, we need Felliani or Herrera there as well to do the donkey work. Funnily enough though that hasn't increased his goal or assist output.

Plenty of people shout for playing two up front, for Lukaku having more support. Maybe we could try that if we didn't have to flood the midfield because Pogba doesn't like tackling.

Discipline, professionalism, working hard and doing what the team needs when it is needed. Basically the total opposite to floating around the field disinterested and taking potshots at the manager.

As to Sanchez, Rashford and others, thats just whataboutery, I could talk about them if I wanted but right now I was talking about Pogba.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I still think the club backing Jose and offloading Pogba could get things back on track.

Yea because sanchez will all of a sudden come good, our attacking play will be like liverpool and lindelof will look like rio ferdinand

• Advertisement

Yea because sanchez will all of a sudden come good, our attacking play will be like liverpool and lindelof will look like rio ferdinand

No it restores the authority that Pogba has single handedly destroyed and the club has allowed.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, if a player is allowed to undermine the coach , the team will fall to pieces....

So Pogba was nominated for our August player of the month.

Did he win it?

Being nominated for a club player of the month means fcuk all because

1) it's something that has to happen, for us it's not best player, its a case of least shyte player.

2) other players like Sanchez or Lukaku have been dirt but they aren't in the press pissing and moaning about the manager while fluttering their eyelids at Barcelona.

It goes back to my original point to uncleoswald and illustrates it perfectly, Pogba gets defended to the nth degree by Bangkok and people are sick of the same oul soapboxing crap from him.

Ah yea... and when graham souness dogs pogba you will be first saying sour bitter souness etc etc etc

Drumpot wrote: »
    No it restores the authority that Pogba has single handedly destroyed and the club has allowed.

Doesn’t matter who the manager is, if a player is allowed to undermine the coach , the team will fall to pieces....

Anyway, derby, pogba didnt play, we play ****. Who gets the blame?

Ah yea... and when graham souness dogs pogba you will be first saying sour bitter souness etc etc etc

Your goalposts have arrived. ....

RF3eNZN.jpg

Anyway, derby, pogba didnt play, we play ****. Who gets the blame?

So one league cup game defeat proves what exactly?

The team has been built around him. In the league everything is done to accommodate him. How’s that working out for us?

It was to prove a moment of brilliance.

Also would you send me a video of bebe or obertan dominating a champ league game. Thanks

I dobt think anyone disputes Pogba has "moments" the problem is a game is based over 90mins.

When you say domimating do you mean a moment or a game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Nice to see Brighton, Brighton BRIGHTON has been changed to Derby, Derby, DERBY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This is pathetic... Where has this poster been praising Pogba to the hilt or absolving him of any blame?

It's so weird on here. Say something like "Pogba has been a bit sh*t but he's not the problem in this particular instant" and you more than likely to be accused of been a Pogba fanboy, of drinking the Pogba kool-aid or being "dazzled by his celebrity." But the mildest criticism of Jose will bring those same posters frothing about nothing can be his fault and it is all down to the board and every single player. There is a total lack of nuanced thought.

Great post.

LeeJM wrote: »

Well nobody seems to want to discuss it as it all points to mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's always the way.

• Advertisement

I still remember the Sevilla, Sevilla, SEVILLA days

West Ham have a decent attack these days. We will need to score an early goal or 2 and hope their fans turn on them.

We are away from home so I would nearly give us a better chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Well nobody seems to want to discuss it as it all points to mourinho

Nobody wants to discuss it because the poxy relationship between our supposed talismanic star player and manager is in the toilet and that takes precedence over an ultimately unimportant league cup match

I dobt think anyone disputes Pogba has "moments" the problem is a game is based over 90mins.

When you say domimating do you mean a moment or a game?

He dominated the game in champ league, v watford burnley and wolves

Nobody wants to discuss it because the poxy relationship between our supposed talismanic star player and manager is in the toilet and that takes precedence over an ultimately unimportant league cup match

Why doesnt he have the balls to drop him from squad so? Because jose needs him

Also, jose having a go at pogba in training without knowing the full facts and then getting a press officer involved was poor management. Made a big deal out of nothing

• Rossi IRL wrote: »
    West Ham have a decent attack these days. We will need to score an early goal or 2 and hope their fans turn on them.

Oddly this seems to be the case at the moment.
    A little blip for West Ham is all well and good but crucially 3 points should be the only result for Utd.

Team is in an odd place at the moment for obvious reasons but would like to see some change our on the right flanks.

Was the biggest problem last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I still remember the Sevilla, Sevilla, SEVILLA days

What about York city, York City, YORK CITY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Same ****. Every single ****ing day.

jayo26 wrote: »
    What about York city, York City, YORK CITY

StxJFVC.gif

:P

• Advertisement

• Same ****. Every single ****ing day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheels_on_the_Bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,580 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's called the sunk cost fallacy. I see no reason for having him captain the team other than the size of his transfer fee. He is a talented player but totally inconsistent and needs the team to be built around him. We would be far better off with a midfield player who plays at 7/10 skill level and 10/10 effort week in week out than a player who is 9/10 skilful in flashes and 4/10 effort, sometimes less.
    I'm seeing alot more issues in the squad than the people who are just blaming Pogba, as iv said already the problem goes much deeper than him.

I'm not seeing anyone argue differently.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Better again if they wear the pink kit. Unbeatable run starting in that.

It's called the sunk cost fallacy. I see no reason for having him captain the team other than the size of his transfer fee. He is a talented player but totally inconsistent and needs the team to be built around him. We would be far better off with a midfield player who plays at 7/10 skill level and 10/10 effort week in week out than a player who is 9/10 skilful in flashes and 4/10 effort, sometimes less.

I'm not seeing anyone argue differently.

Like Kante?

• Member said senior players for Moyes, for LVG?

The pattern emerges.....

https://twitter.com/PeoplesPerson_/status/1044902517614751744?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Member said senior players for Moyes, for LVG?

The pattern emerges.....

https://twitter.com/PeoplesPerson_/status/1044902517614751744?s=19

And it begins

I'd be shocked if he's there for the January transfer window but dreading who would come to replace him.

Headshot wrote: »
    And it begins

I'd be shocked if he's there for the January transfer window but dreading who would come to replace him.

Can mood get much worse than the awful finish to last season, pre season and start of this one?

Since the good leafue run in March last, damaged by Euro exit it has been a real slog.

Lost to Brighton twice, West Brom, drew with Wolves and Westt Ham, lost to Spurs, lost FA Cup Final.

Horrible Summer with pre season, transfers, out right negativity.

Now Agent P from previous year has turned into Sour P to go with Jose's poor demeanour.

• Headshot wrote: »
    And it begins

When do you stop blaming management and maybe, just maybe share some of the blame with said players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's so much to give out about Jose but the whole "Jones/Bailly" comments thing is hilarious.

He said he knew we'd be in danger when out CB pairing, 8th and 9th choice for the penalties, we stepping up. Yeah, no ****. So would Derby at that point too.

That's the very definition of a "We don't like Jose so let's look for every excuse to attack him".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When do you stop blaming management and maybe, just maybe share some of the blame with said players?

Your right of course the players are to blame for alot of it but it's Jose's job to get the best of his team, to motivate them and get tactics right and at the moment Jose is failing in all those aspects.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement