Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

When do you stop blaming management and maybe, just maybe share some of the blame with said players?

Here here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Headshot wrote: »
    And it begins

I'd be shocked if he's there for the January transfer window but dreading who would come to replace him.

Supporting disgruntled players has not been working great for the last 6 years so maybe we should change a losing strategy and support a manager for once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When do you stop blaming management and maybe, just maybe share some of the blame with said players?

Six months into the next managers term there is going to be a lot of revisionism happening around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There's so much to give out about Jose but the whole "Jones/Bailly" comments thing is hilarious.

He said he knew we'd be in danger when out CB pairing, 8th and 9th choice for the penalties, we stepping up. Yeah, no ****. So would Derby at that point too.

That's the very definition of a "We don't like Jose so let's look for every excuse to attack him".

What he said was true , there’s no doubt about that . We were all sh*tting ourselves when we saw Jones walk up to the spot.

Problem is those comments won’t go down well with Jones and Bailly personally. It was very condescending and humiliating. There’s really no need to damage more relationships in the dressing room but that’s Jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Six months into the next managers term there is going to be a lot of revisionism happening around these parts.

So a new manager is suddenly going to get everyone playing like world beaters

Who is this Messiah and when can we get him if this is the case...

Six years of the same tired excuses of senior players have seen two managers depart but as several media outlets gave said who are these senior players and leaders who do fcuk all leading on the pitch.

God help Pogba but he's the most recognisable supposed leader we have as none of these senior players are noticaeble during matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nah. Just be we appointed the wrong manager again.

brinty wrote: »
    So a new manager is suddenly going to get everyone playing like world beaters

Nope. And its going to be fun seeing certain people scramble to try an explain why not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    Supporting disgruntled players has not been working great for the last 6 years so maybe we should change a losing strategy and support a manager for once?

I agree.

Unfortunately, the time to do that was the summer just gone, and Woody made it clear he disagrees :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Member said senior players for Moyes, for LVG?

The pattern emerges.....

https://twitter.com/PeoplesPerson_/status/1044902517614751744?s=19

Not really a surprise. Dont know why he even had to mention jones and bailly in his interview the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In fairness its light hearted saying you knew you were in trouble when your CB had to take a penalty. They are generally not the best at them. Plenty to criticize Mourinho about but no that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Headshot wrote: »
    And it begins

I'd be shocked if he's there for the January transfer window but dreading who would come to replace him.

United wont sack him until both of these are true.

1. We are out of Europe
    2. W are well adrift in the league with no hope of Top 4.

So the likely hood is they may give him til to the end of the season.

There are no available top quality candidates to replace him anyway, apart from Zidane (of which there is a big question mark). Pochettino signed a 5 year contract in May so he would have to be bought out and Spurs would be horrible to deal with. In my view, i think the board will ride the storm until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,580 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DM_7 wrote: »
    Like Kante?

Would be a good signing for us for sure, but there's no one player that's going to fix our midfield (or defence)

Scrap the cap!

damowill wrote: »
    United wont sack him until both of these are true.

1. We are out of Europe
    2. W are well adrift in the league with no hope of Top 4.

So the likely hood is they may give him til to the end of the season.

There are no available top quality candidates to replace him anyway, apart from Zidane (of which there is a big question mark). Pochettino signed a 5 year contract in May so he would have to be bought out and Spurs would be horrible to deal with. In my view, i think the board will ride the storm until the summer.

If we lose to west ham at the weekend and there is no effort shown from the players he will be gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

bangkok wrote: »
    If we lose to west ham at the weekend and there is no effort shown from the players he will be gone

You know this for a fact do you?

Would be a good signing for us for sure, but there's no one player that's going to fix our midfield (or defence)

We could sign Pogba.

If he brought his French performances to the EPL we would be laughing.....

Who knows, We might even beat the likes of Derby in league cup games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not really a surprise. Dont know why he even had to mention jones and bailly in his interview the other night

That he knew we were in trouble when we were down to the last two outfield players for penalties who are centre backs and less likely to score then the others? Perfectly reasonable thing to say. Jones missed. Bailly could have easily missed as well. Most penalt shootouts don’t get that far and didn’t help that we only had 10 players available too.

LeeJM wrote: »
    You know this for a fact do you?

It will be highly likely... how can he manage a squad of players when they are not playing for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have to agree with a previous poster that he won't be sacked until we are out of Europe and top 4 is unattainable. I would rather get rid of Pogba first then Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

We could sign Pogba.

I think it says a lot that at this point all people want is for Pogba to play as well for United as he did for France.

The sad part is that he wasn't even that good for France. He did fine, he played well, was solid, did his job, but he wasn't outstanding by any measure. Modric was outstanding, Modric heavily influenced results, Pogba just did a job for a few games.

From hoping Pogba would be a world class talent influencing games to now just wanting him to play midfield and do a good job.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

Of course carra backs jose... we are playing awful football and are miles off liverpool

• bangkok wrote: »
    Of course carra backs jose... we are playing awful football and are miles off liverpool

It's like two completely different topics mutated into each other :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Or....

Maybe he is giving his honest opinion.

Hard to believe I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

It will be highly likely... how can he manage a squad of players when they are not playing for him

Well no it's highly likely considering Woodward has shown before he won't sack a manager until top 4 is mathematically impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

xtal191 wrote: »

Cannot argue with a single thing he said, bang on the money.

In terms of Paul Pogba, I don't know if he's worth the hassle for what he gives on the pitch.

There's an idea that there's one or the other. So if Mourinho goes, you'll see a new Paul Pogba. You won't, I can assure Man Utd fans, you won't.

Nobody plays for two years and all of a sudden there's a change of manager and you're a new player. We've see what Paul Pogba is as a player.

He's not as good as he thinks he is. He's got talent, but his big problem is his understanding of the game. It's been a problem since he came, and it hasn't changed now.
    Sounds about right to me. Same for Pogba as it is for a few players there, change the manager all you want, they are still going to produce the same performances.
    People talk about Matic coming in, Fred coming in to help Pogba. Help yourself! I'm sick of excuses for big players and managers 'not getting the best' out of you.
    Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is more then enough evidence to suggest the club is very much involved in transfer targets. Jose only recently stated that he shouldn’t be called a manager but a coach, what do you think he was saying?

That was directed at he fact the club were saying no to signing what he wanted.

The club doesn’t sign players he hasn’t asked for or wanted. That’s what I’m saying. Your claiming the club are signing players the manager doesn’t sanction or want which is a very big claim.

And to be honest provides him an excuse that isnt based in reality.

All the players signed have been what he wanted and asked for. That they said no to some is just saying no.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    That was directed at he fact the club were saying no to signing what he wanted.

The club doesn’t sign players he hasn’t asked for or wanted. That’s what I’m saying. Your claiming the club are signing players the manager doesn’t sanction or want which is a very big claim.

And to be honest provides him an excuse that isnt based in reality.

All the players signed have been what he wanted and asked for. That they said no to some is just saying no.

I never said the club are buying players the manager doesn’t sanction. I’m saying the club has its own criteria for targeting and selecting players to sign. It’s quite obvious they do, the only question is on what capacity.

All the players are not necessarily what he asked for, they are what he got. As Jose said , he should be called a coach, not a manager. A coach doesn’t choose who to sign or sell, they may get to give some Input but they manage the players they get....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There's so much to give out about Jose but the whole "Jones/Bailly" comments thing is hilarious.

He said he knew we'd be in danger when out CB pairing, 8th and 9th choice for the penalties, we stepping up. Yeah, no ****. So would Derby at that point too.

That's the very definition of a "We don't like Jose so let's look for every excuse to attack him".

As a major Jse detractor I said I laughed when he said it and really didn’t pay it much more attention.

Still knew it was poor tbh. And pretty much every piece of commentary, analysis and discussion since has pulled it out. Because it was an unnecessary thing to say. It was a pointless unnecessary barb.

As usual the fingers gate pointed at Jose detractors, when his fans have the exact same blinkered outlook just in the opposite direction.

He’s been on the slide since Madrid. He’s been surpassed by others. No manager lasts forever and his horrible character makes it even more obvious he can’t stivk anything past a few years. Eventually the penny will drop.

Of course we have player issues, structure issues but your pissing in the wind at a club our size when the manager isn’t up to snuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

We could sign Pogba.

It wasn't Pogba's fault that we lost to Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm wondering at this stage if Woodward has put the Pogba fee into the marketing budget rather than the transfer budget. As it stands, that's all it seems to be now, getting those clicks and Pogba is generating those. I wish it was for outstanding performances on the pitch instead of the circus that surrounds him.

It wasn't Pogba's fault that we lost to Derby.

No one seems to want to talk about the derby defeat

What’s there to say? It’s the same ****e on repeat over and over.

One step forward two steps back , as it has been since Ferguson left.

• Advertisement

They just don't want to talk to you about the Derby defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd say it's a distinct possibility. His future is definitely a slave to results in the short term given the developing context. He expressed dissatisfaction with the board's backing or lack thereof; a star player is displaying unhappiness with him in the media; and the results to start the season are quite pedestrian. A poor performance and result on Saturday morning might raise the question about whether it's the right time to make a move with so much of the league to come, and five of six CL group games. Not in too deep with regards to this season yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

When Jose signed for United we had problems.
    Into his third season here and we have even more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

May as well sum up Pogba using the words of Barney Ronay posted before Derby game that I snipped another part of before:

To date Pogba has done very little at Manchester United to justify his own comments. The fact is in the hierarchy of elite Manchester United midfielders of the last quarter-century his own position is closer to Juan Sebastián Verón than Roy Keane right now.

Even Pogba’s own complaint about a lack of attacking flair could be seen as a decent argument for dropping himself. Perhaps a star, forward-surging central midfielder who has never scored more than eight league goals in a season might be a part of that problem. For all his medals Pogba still looks most of the time like a wave waiting to break, a grand talent en route to finding its most potent expression.

He has been good this season, showing his excellent passing range and ball-carrying craft. But the fact is Pogba is not as effective as he might be. His passing and movement and control of a game are not as good as, say, Kevin De Bruyne’s when he plays in the central midfield area.

No shame in this: few reach that level. But Pogba acts and speaks like an outright star, so he must expect to be judged as one. And among star players he is not as effective or as valuable to his team as Eden Hazard, Mo Salah, Romelu Lukaku, Christian Eriksen, Virgil van Dijk, David Silva, David de Gea or Harry Kane. Is he a better Premier League central midfielder than Mousa Dembélé or Ilkay Gündogan? Is he as effective a presence right now as James Milner? Or Rúben Neves? The answer is: probably not. Or not to any degree one would notice.

Often his best moments, like the lovely touch for United’s opening goal on Saturday, are simultaneously undermined. Why would Mourinho be annoyed at Pogba giving the ball away in the lead-up to Wolves’ equaliser? Because after six Premier League games no central midfielder in any team has been dispossessed more often than Pogba or taken more unsuccessful touches.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/24/whats-that-odd-feeling-its-sympathy-for-mourinho-amid-pogbas-malaise

because they cant handle a few home truths?

Said it last season Lukaku's momement was poor without the ball, i think everyone sees it now.

Matic is just coasting through games, does nothing going forward

Poor tactics from our manager sitting deep when we should be attacking teams

no team identity

players afraid to try anything

all in all a fairly pathetic team set up

'Ramsey contract talks break down'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11510281

Id take him on a free

'Ramsey contract talks break down'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11510281

Id take him on a free

Ya he'd be a good replacement when Pogba goes to Barcelona he worked much harder for the team too

Ya he'd be a good replacement when Pogba goes to Barcelona he worked much harder for the team too

Pogba has covered more ground than any united player this season. The only player in squad to run more than 40km

Pogba has covered more ground than any united player this season. The only player in squad to run more than 40km

Outfield player whos played most minutes has run the most thats a shocker right there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That can't be right, that is an average of less than 7km per game?

Pogba has played the most minutes of any outfield player. Played all but 6 minutes (of normal time) this season in the league. He should be first in a ground covered list.

Next CM is Fellaini who only played 335 of 540.

DM_7 wrote: »
    That can't be right, that is an average of less than 7km per game?

Pogba has played the most minutes of any outfield player. Played all but 6 minutes (of normal time) this season in the league. He should be first in a ground covered list.

Next CM is Fellaini who only played 335 of 540.

Sorry that was on 5th sept.

Fergie would have dumped Pogba, says Paul Ince

"If this was happening under Sir Alex, he'd have said one thing: 'He's going. Get rid of him now'. Because there's no chance he'd allow his team to become a joke because of Paul Pogba's behaviour,".

Ince, part of Ferguson's 1993 and 1994 title winning teams, said there was "no way that Man United can compete with Liverpool or Man City, or even win trophies, when they've got situations like this happening in the club.
    "There's not a chance in hell that he'd have allowed Pogba to speak to the press after that bad result against Wolves last week. Anything he does now is a media circus," he added.

"If Pogba was 10 out of 10 every week, playing out of his skin and consistently performing, then perhaps hed have more grounds to come out and disrespect his club. But hes not. Hes letting his personal vendetta with Mourinho take over his game."

"I think his fate is completely sealed and he'll be gone in January," Ince said, urging United Chief Executive Ed Woodward to back Mourinho.
    "If (Mourinho) tells him that hes upsetting the dressing room and still not playing at the level he should be, then he (Woodward) needs to back the manager and let him go," Ince wrote.

"Pogba has caused far more trouble than he has good since returning to Man United."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0927/998474-fergie-would-have-dumped-pogba-says-ince/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Ronnie will only be suspended for one game in the Champions League,
    Will this be the only time in history where Pool fans will be cheering him on and Utd fans hoping he plays crap ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement