Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Ronnie will only be suspended for one game in the Champions League,
    Will this be the only time in history where Pool fans will be cheering him on and Utd fans hoping he plays crap ?

Same scenario as the 12/13 CL knockout stages. Were you not cheering him on then? I know he didn’t himself but did you not celebrate his goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fergie would have dumped Pogba, says Paul Ince

"If this was happening under Sir Alex, he'd have said one thing: 'He's going. Get rid of him now'. Because there's no chance he'd allow his team to become a joke because of Paul Pogba's behaviour,".

Ince, part of Ferguson's 1993 and 1994 title winning teams, said there was "no way that Man United can compete with Liverpool or Man City, or even win trophies, when they've got situations like this happening in the club.
    "There's not a chance in hell that he'd have allowed Pogba to speak to the press after that bad result against Wolves last week. Anything he does now is a media circus," he added.

"If Pogba was 10 out of 10 every week, playing out of his skin and consistently performing, then perhaps hed have more grounds to come out and disrespect his club. But hes not. Hes letting his personal vendetta with Mourinho take over his game."

"I think his fate is completely sealed and he'll be gone in January," Ince said, urging United Chief Executive Ed Woodward to back Mourinho.
    "If (Mourinho) tells him that hes upsetting the dressing room and still not playing at the level he should be, then he (Woodward) needs to back the manager and let him go," Ince wrote.

"Pogba has caused far more trouble than he has good since returning to Man United."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0927/998474-fergie-would-have-dumped-pogba-says-ince/

You would presume Ferguson would have been getting far more out of Pogba than Mourinho has. Just as with Sanchez, Hazard, Mikitaryan etc, others seem to be able to get more out of these players than Mourinho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

They just don't want to talk to you about the Derby defeat.

There is no need to make it personal. Tone it down please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Why do people like Ince try to speak on behalf of others, who are still well able to speak for themselves.

He was a manager himself, he could of said "I wouldn't put up with him"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Why do people like Ince try to speak on behalf of others, who are still well able to speak for themselves.

He was a manager himself, he could of said "I wouldn't put up with him"

Probably because no one cares how the ex-Manager of Macclesfield Town would handle one of the most expensive players in the world. His experience of Ferguson is more valuable to him than his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting that coming from Ince, who Fergie slung out when he got too big for his boots, so he should know!

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drumpot wrote: »
    Fergie would have dumped Pogba, says Paul Ince

"If this was happening under Sir Alex, he'd have said one thing: 'He's going. Get rid of him now'. Because there's no chance he'd allow his team to become a joke because of Paul Pogba's behaviour,".

Ince, part of Ferguson's 1993 and 1994 title winning teams, said there was "no way that Man United can compete with Liverpool or Man City, or even win trophies, when they've got situations like this happening in the club.
    "There's not a chance in hell that he'd have allowed Pogba to speak to the press after that bad result against Wolves last week. Anything he does now is a media circus," he added.

"If Pogba was 10 out of 10 every week, playing out of his skin and consistently performing, then perhaps hed have more grounds to come out and disrespect his club. But hes not. Hes letting his personal vendetta with Mourinho take over his game."

"I think his fate is completely sealed and he'll be gone in January," Ince said, urging United Chief Executive Ed Woodward to back Mourinho.
    "If (Mourinho) tells him that hes upsetting the dressing room and still not playing at the level he should be, then he (Woodward) needs to back the manager and let him go," Ince wrote.

"Pogba has caused far more trouble than he has good since returning to Man United."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0927/998474-fergie-would-have-dumped-pogba-says-ince/

Big Time Charlie would know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »
    All this pogba talk... what about the defeat to Derby the other night?? What about our poor tactics, poor attacking and defending? Poor passing in midfield, poor everything?

We're only talked about Pogba because he decided to open his big mouth, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Pretty much for the duration of his time in the team Pogba has had excuses made for him by Bangkok, like every single time. Last year it was "he was in the uefa cup team of the year". This year it's been "he's a leader in the French dressing room". It's literally only in the last week or so that I've seen that poster say anything that wasn't fawning about Pogba and that's simply because even the most unerringly myopic people cannot ignore his sub standard performances.

He was the same in his criticism of Fellaini for years and it's only in the recent past that he has had any kind of climb down there, again, simply because it couldn't be ignored.

People get sick of the same lines of absolute scutter been posted and the poster of said scutter will get called out on it.

're Jose, even his most ardent supporters on here have criticised him when criticism was warranted so to say other wise is straw manning. People have defended him but not even close to the levels bangkok has gone to to absolve Pogba.
    Eh the post I was referring too had nothing to do with bangkok, yet your reply still got a dozen likes, ye people are obsessed. He's just one poster. You are far more likely to get jumped on for a casual criticism of Mourinho than Pogba. And unlike you I really don't see his most ardent supporters, who far outweigh the one real Pogba supporter, criticising Mourinho at all for one shocking lifeless display after another. Not straw maning at all, just what I see from some of the more vocal on here.

Also it's hilarious to suddenly see people use the opinions of journalists and even Jamie F*cking Carragher to support their Pogba position. These same people will be whining about the anti-Jose press when they feel he is being victimised again.

Feck Pogba with his Instagramy bullsh*t and undeserved entitlement and feck Mourinho with his toxic "I've won three titles show me respect" attitude and whatever brand of football he is clearly failing to bring to Old Trafford. I can't wait for both of them to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Wouldnt be sad to see the back of both of them to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Eh the post I was referring too had nothing to do with bangkok, yet your reply still got a dozen likes, ye people are obsessed. He's just one poster. You are far more likely to get jumped on for a casual criticism of Mourinho than Pogba. And unlike you I really don't see his most ardent supporters, who far outweigh the one real Pogba supporter, criticising Mourinho at all for one shocking lifeless display after another. Not straw maning at all, just what I see from some of the more vocal on here.

Also it's hilarious to suddenly see people use the opinions of journalists and even Jamie F*cking Carragher to support their Pogba position. These same people will be whining about the anti-Jose press when they feel he is being victimised again.

Feck Pogba with his Instagramy bullsh*t and undeserved entitlement and feck Mourinho with his toxic "I've won three titles show me respect" attitude and whatever brand of football he is clearly failing to bring to Old Trafford. I can't wait for both of them to be gone.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wouldnt be sad to see the back of both of them to be honest

Then what? We still have an underwhelming squad, no manager and few decent prospects out there. Back to square one for the fourth time in 5 and a half years. The alternative is back Mourinho to the hilt and give him another 2-3 seasons, that prospect doesn't fill me with joy either but it's basically the only hope for the club to avoid a lengthy slump imho. Otherwise the club gets a reputation as being one where managers are not backed and player power runs rampant.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

LiamoSail wrote: »
    You would presume Ferguson would have been getting far more out of Pogba than Mourinho has. Just as with Sanchez, Hazard, Mikitaryan etc, others seem to be able to get more out of these players than Mourinho

The same Hazard who was fantastic when Mourinho won the league with chelsea in his first season but downed tools in his second.

The same Hazard that won PFA player of the year under Conte winning the league but downed tools the year after.

Pattern emerging me thinks. If i’m a player getting paid the money i’m getting paid with 60k fans coming to cheer me on week in week out i get the best out of myself, especially when i’m coming into the club as the worlds most expensive player.

Ronaldo joined madrid as a world record signing, did José get the best out of him? even when they supposedly fell out Ronaldo banged in goals after goals, why?

Because he’s a player that takes pride in what he does that wants to be thought of as the best.

Pogba is the definition of a spoilt child. He should of course be stripped of his captains armband with his comments and more

• Advertisement

Then what? We still have an underwhelming squad, no manager and few decent prospects out there. Back to square one for the fourth time in 5 and a half years. The alternative is back Mourinho to the hilt and give him another 2-3 seasons, that prospect doesn't fill me with joy either but it's basically the only hope for the club to avoid a lengthy slump imho. Otherwise the club gets a reputation as being one where managers are not backed and player power runs rampant.

The manager oversaw major recruitment in Bailly, Lindelof, Pogba, Fred, Matic, Sanchez and Lukaku.

He wanted more and while he clearly needed more to make ground on the very very best his lack of progress or even appearance of interest in making progress with what he has is a huge worry.

6 games in and he has already dropped 8 points. A goal differance of zero is even more surprising at an early stage when he is a manager with a great track record of making teams hard to score against at the very least.

Where is the evidence of a proud manager, with a desire to win? Where is the evidence since last April with all that went on in the summer that he is going to turn the team into something he can be proud of?

That should be the minimum, that the manager works with the players he has in a way that gets the best from them, that after any result he can honestly know he got the most from them.

Right now I honestly have no clue what I am supposed to look at as evidence that he can make up ground this season or that he will have Man Utd primed for next season (yes, I had to start thinking about next season already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM_7 wrote: »
    That should be the minimum, that the manager works with the players he has in a way that gets the best from them, that after any result he can honestly know he got the most from them.

Right now I honestly have no clue what I am supposed to look at as evidence that he can make up ground this season or that he will have Man Utd primed for next season (yes, I had to start thinking about next season already).

A reminder that something like 16 of the current first team squad have been there from at least the Moyes days, coinciding with the worst period in the clubs recent history, and that they were a 5th/6th placed club and out of Europe before Mourinhos arrival. Under Mourinho that squad has went back to being second only to the profligate City side.

Maybe he did get the most from them.

The damage has already been done I think but you have to ignore recent history if you want to claim that Mourinho didn't improve the clubs fortunes. Hell, its only 2 years since Van Gaal was sacked, have people forgotten those days already?

A reminder that something like 16 of the current first team squad have been there from at least the Moyes days, coinciding with the worst period in the clubs recent history, and that they were a 5th/6th placed club and out of Europe before Mourinhos arrival. Under Mourinho that squad has went back to being second only to the profligate City side.

Maybe he did get the most from them.

The damage has already been done I think but you have to ignore recent history if you want to claim that Mourinho didn't improve the clubs fortunes. Hell, its only 2 years since Van Gaal was sacked, have people forgotten those days already?

I have not forgotten. I was very happy with the end result last season and thought he did well. Conceding less than 30 two seasons in a row was very good and we saw an improvement in victories from the huge draws in season 1. It was very positive.

I concede in numbers a large part of the squad was not his. They are not all bad and played a part in the good results over the previous years. Fellaini, Young, Lingard and Smalling have performed as well or better than players actually brought in under Jose. One he could not improve upon is De Gea and remains the best player at United. I said in my previous post he needed more to get to level of the best. Yet I think this season should still have started better.

Since April I can't ignore the general negativity around the side. I know the team was not playing for a massive chunk of that. What happened over the summer was wrong. What has gone on this season to date is a big worry as the good things, like hard to score against have gone.

Can you point to anything positive so far in this season?

I hope I feel like an idiot later in the season when what they are working on comes good. I am on record of saying I want Jose to get it right as I am a huge admirer of his past work.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Since April I can't ignore the general negativity around the side. I know the team was not playing for a massive chunk of that. What happened over the summer was wrong. What has gone on this season to date is a big worry as the good things, like hard to score against have gone.

Can you point to anything positive so far in this season?

What happened in the summer was more than wrong, it was stupid and it was terminal.

You are worried about how this season has gone? It was always going to go like this, nothing is surprising here, because the very minute the club made it clear that Mourinho did not have the authority to buy or sell the players he wanted they signed his death warrant. The very second they made it clear to the likes of Pogba and Martial that they wouldn't allow Mourinho to get rid of them, that set in motion the mentality and attitudes that have led to this point.

All this was said at the time, it was even said before the transfer window opened. So no, there are no positives so far this season, and it certainly is no mystery why.

As an aside, I was looking for a post I made during the summer, where I pointed out to somebody how dangerous it was going to be if the club let Pogba think he was bigger than the club. While doing so I spotted this, an answer to somebody suggesting that giving Pogba the captaincy might improve him:
    It would be the absolute worst thing you could do, Pogba doesn't want the responsibility and he would shrivel under the weight of it. He is the last person going to step up and put in the extra effort it would take to improve the players around him.

Pogba wants Mourinho to get sacked and a manager to come in who will allow him to float about and do whatever the **** he wants, thats his dream and he is happy to mope about until it happens. I would wager he has zero interest in taking any captaincy role and would do a piss poor job if he got it.
    Wasn't too far wrong with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The same Hazard who was fantastic when Mourinho won the league with chelsea in his first season but downed tools in his second.

The same Hazard that won PFA player of the year under Conte winning the league but downed tools the year after.

Pattern emerging me thinks. If i’m a player getting paid the money i’m getting paid with 60k fans coming to cheer me on week in week out i get the best out of myself, especially when i’m coming into the club as the worlds most expensive player.

Ronaldo joined madrid as a world record signing, did Joset the best out of him? even when they supposedly fell out Ronaldo banged in goals after goals, why?

Because he’s a player that takes pride in what he does that wants to be thought of as the best.

Pogba is the definition of a spoilt child. He should of course be stripped of his captains armband with his comments and more

I'm not disputing how good the Mourinho of ten years ago was, it's the Mourinho of today that's more of an issue. Regarding Ronaldo, the guy has been world class for every manager he's played for.

Maybe Pogba is the definition of a spolit child, just perhaps as Hazard was. The point is do you trust Mourinho not to fall out with Pogba's replacement?

Can you attract players so good, that they'll be good enough to challenge for the title even if Mourinho can't get the best out of them ? Just as he has failed to do with the majority of players at United over the last few seasons.

He's reaching the time period at the club where traditionally either he's walked, or he's caused so much grief he's been sacked. From the looks of things at United, he seems to be going down that route again.

• Advertisement

What happened in the summer was more than wrong, it was stupid and it was terminal.

You are worried about how this season has gone? It was always going to go like this, nothing is surprising here, because the very minute the club made it clear that Mourinho did not have the authority to buy or sell the players he wanted they signed his death warrant. The very second they made it clear to the likes of Pogba and Martial that they wouldn't allow Mourinho to get rid of them, that set in motion the mentality and attitudes that have led to this point.

All this was said at the time, it was even said before the transfer window opened. So no, there are no positives so far this season, and it certainly is no mystery why.

As an aside, I was looking for a post I made during the summer, where I pointed out to somebody how dangerous it was going to be if the club let Pogba think he was bigger than the club. While doing so I spotted this, an answer to somebody suggesting that giving Pogba the captaincy might improve him: Wasn't too far wrong with that one.

When did Mourinho try and get rid of Pogba during the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He didnt, dont know where that came out of.

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pereira needs to be given a chance now leave Pogba out

Pereira needs to be given a chance now leave Pogba out

Jose knows he cant leave his best player out, especially not for an unproven premier league player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Jose knows he cant leave his best player out, especially not for an unproven premier league player

I agree, Fellaini should be the one to take his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have major problems when this group of players turn their nose up at the most successful manager they will ever play for.

They have done absolutely nothing at United except get paid far more than they are worth.

Getting rid of Mourinho before next seasons sets a ridiculous precedent now, if they were winning the league they would have an argument, what if they don’t fancy the next manager?

astradave wrote: »

Fellaini and matic in midfield. Who is doing the creating there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:

He's doing a better job than Pogba ad it is
    Least he does his utmost every single time he's on the pitch

Strong fast and good crosser Dalot

• Advertisement

He wont even be playing

• brinty wrote: »
    He's doing a better job than Pogba ad it is
    Least he does his utmost every single time he's on the pitch

A 3 man midfield of Fellani matic Pereira, I'd like to see how that would play out out of interest

Fred available for rotation also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

astradave wrote:

Dead right Dave
    Dalot should be in the team right now
    Wasn't someone saying how he was strong fast physical and a great cross from his YouTube clips Last week...

brinty wrote: »
    Dead right Dave
    Dalot should be in the team right now
    Wasn't someone saying how he was strong fast physical and a great cross from his YouTube clips Last week...

Who picks the team??

Great post.

Another jibe to appease the usual hacks, sums up you and this thread.

How about answering the question?

Fred should be starting anyways if pogbas out i wouldnt mind seeing how perriera does ahead of one of matic or fellaini

Maybe we could try dalot on the rw he cant be any worse then the big joint void it currently is

Cant answer it as it was made up!!

I have no interest in answering any of your questions or playing any of your games.

I have no interest in answering any of your questions or playing any of your games.

No games from me, it was a straight forward question. Put me on ignore if that's how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

More importantly, who's going to over complicate their play and in the process give the ball back to the opposition?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Had a feeling this place would be a bit chaotic after the week we've had so far.

Popped the head in for a glance, went back a few pages but I take it Pogba and Mourinho are both capturing headlines.

The state we are in I shouldn't laugh but that clip doing the rounds from training of Jose asking about Pogbas instagram I found a bit gas. Crazy how much social media is involved in football these days. Suppose it is a money pit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It's like a school playground in here at the best of times win lose or draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So now the press are reporting a split in the squad with the French speaking players siding with Pogba and that Lukaku although still friends with him has distanced himself from Pogba.

So now the press are reporting a split in the squad with the French speaking players siding with Pogba and that Lukaku although still friends with him has distanced himself from Pogba.

So pogba and martial?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So pogba and martial?

Does Bailly speak French?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He just kisses that way.

And Fellaini who I'd say would be on Jose's side.. so essentially 3 players.. Martial and Bailly siding with Pogba and the rest with Jose, it's basically a 90/10 split. It's an easy write though, Martial is the player that Jose supposedly wanted out and Bailly has been linked with a move away so it's easy to put 2 and 2 together and get 34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

And Fellaini who I'd say would be on Jose's side.. so essentially 3 players.. Martial and Bailly siding with Pogba and the rest with Jose, it's basically a 90/10 split. It's an easy write though, Martial is the player that Jose supposedly wanted out and Bailly has been linked with a move away so it's easy to put 2 and 2 together and get 34

I would say the majority of the side will be with Jose. It must be annoying being Matic and Fellaini watching him stroll around while you are putting 100% into every game.

Could you imagine Keane being captain he would tear into him and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nobody said to leave De Gea out. That would be madness.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would say the majority of the side will be with Jose. It must be annoying being Matic and Fellaini watching him stroll around while you are putting 100% into every game.

Could you imagine Keane being captain he would tear into him and rightly so.

The biggest problem is that I can't imagine any of that lot tearing into anybody.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement