Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Would be a total joke if Mourinho was given the boot at this stage. It's clear that Pogba is just a poisonous influence in the club and that it's him who needs gone.

I think pogba is a symptom of the problem. Few of the players Jose has brought in have worked out.

Pogba will only be sold if the board feel his 100m value is under threat at man utd. Man utd feels like more of a business than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think this is the day where it ends for Jose at United. Himself and Pogba can both fcuk off from our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just move him on now. New manager has a season with no real pressure and to get used to players and start the work now. Start really working out who needs shifting and who is good enough.

Champions league can still be saved. The team is good enough for top 4. Needs a bounce. Needs fresh impetus and a fresh take. Some new ideas.

It’s been stale and pretty pathetic from about February into his first season when we started to tank the league and nothing’s chsnged significantly since

Like Jesus it’s only a few games in and players like Lukaku and Pogba look legless from being called back early and just run into the ground. Squad management is terrible, man management terrible.

Just be done with it today and let us all get a fresh face and have a literal six months of settling into something new and not having to deal with the anxiety of this garbage.

Van Gaals reign was never this poor. Was watching with my mates and one of the lads said which was totally agreed, it feels like the darkest days of Moyes.

Finish it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jon1981 wrote: »
    I think pogba is a symptom of the problem. Few of the players Jose has brought in have worked out.

if pogba was as bad as is being made out he would have been in the stand sitting beside sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    More than anything, I hate that the utterly lazy "Third season syndrome" narrative will grow stronger because of this.....

Sometimes the truth can be simple.

It’s not a lazy narrative when it literally comes to pass.

Mourinho is either past his best and been left behind or his methods only work in a truely underdog environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

More than anything, I hate that the utterly lazy "Third season syndrome" narrative will grow stronger because of this.....

Yep.

What players has Jose had trouble with at united? One player really. But the narrative is that Jose is obviously the problem. And as always the players sh*te performance for the club will be ignored or excused as the manager.

This sport can be so infuriatingly pathetic when a professional sportsman can be excused for playing poorly because he is not happy or didn’t like something a manager said to him. Ridiculous....

I do feel sorry for moyes after witnessing jose and van gaal...Moyes wasn't even afforded a full season.

bangkok wrote: »
    if pogba was as bad as is being made out he would have been in the stand sitting beside sanchez.

To my point, they have to play him to keep his value high. Otherwise you're selling him at much less...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Drumpot wrote: »
    If the club is serous about succeeding on the field to match its off field successs Jose shouldn’t be the only one out the door....

He won't/shouldn't be sacked. Just left to dedicate all his time to the financial side of things.

Woody is possibly the greatest CEO in football on a financial side of things; that we're still making as much money as we are, in spite of the last few years, is based on Woody's contributions.

We need a technical director of some sort to work along side him, and work on the footballing side of things. And Woody should know doing so would make his own job even easier, cause imagine the cash we'd rake in if we were actually, ya know, exciting and winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Jeez Jose..... everyone is to blame except his players

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    Jeez Jose..... everyone is to blame except his players

Meh. Man's job is hanging by a piece of floss. He's hardly going to sign his own P45....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

To my point, they have to play him to keep his value high. Otherwise you're selling him at much less...

what about sanchez... getting paid 400k a week to sit in the stand.

fred... 50m on the bench

bailly...30m on the bench

lingard... not even in squad

dalot 20m... not even in squad.

dinosaur tactics

valencia tuesday night, they will pass us off the park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose has lost it.

Until he gets to the next club and starts winning trophies again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Would be a total joke if Mourinho was given the boot at this stage. It's clear that Pogba is just a poisonous influence in the club and that it's him who needs gone.

sadly this is all too reminiscent of Joses last time as chelsea, myself and other chelsea fans desperately trying to work out what had gone wrong, was it mourinho, was it the fact he wasnt backed in the transfer market, was it 1 or more players having it in for him?? (‘palpable discord")

No one knows the answer, but the suggestion is the same...he should be getting more out of the players he has

for us chelsea it is strangely fascinating seeing a repeat, car crash in slow motion as entertainment except for those who play and support utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I do feel sorry for moyes after witnessing jose and van gaal...Moyes wasn't even afforded a full season.

It’s now our worst start to a season since 1989

At least Moyes can probably take some solace from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

7 games. 10 points

Yikes!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

For whatever reason, not a single department within the team is functioning. Whether that is due to Jose or the players just not listening to him, its still ultimately damning for him isnt it?

I have some sympathy for him - but for anyone defending him, can you explain the best case scenario you expect if he stays? Based on the players we have and how jose manages them, what gets better? I just dont see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He won't/shouldn't be sacked. Just left to dedicate all his time to the financial side of things.

Woody is possibly the greatest CEO in football on a financial side of things; that we're still making as much money as we are, in spite of the last few years, is based on Woody's contributions.

We need a technical director of some sort to work along side him, and work on the footballing side of things. And Woody should know doing so would make his own job even easier, cause imagine the cash we'd rake in if we were actually, ya know, exciting and winning.

Woodward should only be kept in a marketing capacity. Shouldn’t be allowed discuss or act in any manner football related. He’s a poison and the one consistent thing since 2013.

No point in getting a director of football if they don’t work with the manager and quite often they aren’t synchronized. Also that won’t change the clubs stance on transfers. Spend little to nothing on experienced players , constantly rebuilding with youth and prioritizing commercial opportunities with players. I wouldn’t be surprised if united signs one of the top marketable players, particularly if Pogba leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TheDoc wrote: »

Champions league can still be saved. The team is good enough for top 4.

Problem is it get beyond us very fast, especially of Spurs find a bit of form. Even if Jose is sacked round Halloween that could easily be too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Quandary wrote: »
    Agreed, however I would be reluctant to sell martial just yet. I'd like to see ow he gets on under a new manager, he's young enough to adapt and learn. He also has the professionalism to mostly keep his head down and not create additional unneeded public drama for the club.

Id be reluctant to see most of them sold as they are really low on confidence at the moment and a change in management might do the world of good to them.

Jose just can't get the best out of the players he has.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sorry but I totally think he is a waste of space. Not hard to market the name Manchester United. Director of football asap and keep woody away from the football side of things

sadly this is all too reminiscent of Joses last time as chelsea, myself and other chelsea fans desperately trying to work out what had gone wrong, was it mourinho, was it the fact he wasnt backed in the transfer market, was it 1 or more players having it in for him?? (‘palpable discord")

No one knows the answer, but the suggestion is the same...he should be getting more out of the players he has

for us chelsea it is strangely fascinating seeing a repeat, car crash in slow motion as entertainment except for those who play and support utd

This is not entirely true and a common misconception.

Jose was getting the best out of the players up until last summer, he subsequently tried to sell a good few of the players and replace others to attempt a league title challenge and wasn’t given the backing to do this. This lead to the falling out with some and the Pogba nonsense and ultimately losing the dressing room.

Is it Jose’s fault he lost the players? Yes
    Was Jose showing some ambition trying to replace the deadwood which resulted in losing the players? Also yes
    Would we have finished in the top 2 if Jose had “got the best out of” this group of players? Absolutely not

This is where comprehension problems arise with some fans. The position we are in now is a direct result of what happened in the summer.

I find it hard to believe Jose’s head was really in it, finishing 20 points behind City and being told by the bean counters his squad was good enough going into a new season, he was probably awaiting the inevitable at that stage and this led to his no nonsense approach with players such Pogba and Martial because it was highly probable he would be out of the job anyway. Jose Mourinho knew well in advance that we would be in a fight for top 4 this season.

Summary
    The lack of ambition from the club has led us to this point, instead of indulging the likes of Pogba and going on to finish top 4 this season Jose has gone nuclear and doesn’t really care. “Out of date Jose” will go on and win trophies elsewhere whilst United struggle for the next 3 or 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The tail has been wagging the dog for months. Player power reigns in Utd. No way they're as bad as they look and fortunately or unfortunately whatever way you look there's only one outcome imo

Unfortunately if Jose goes we'll be left with players who more or less down tools if things don't go their way

Going to be a quiet few years ahead as these players are moved on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can't believe Mourinho got these wasters to finish second last season.

He tried to get rid of half of them in the summer and they have no interest in playing for him.

The board have caused this problem, I think Mourinho is the best we will get and don't want him to go but he has to now as the players won't play for him.

It's going to be some shock for whovever takes over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Jose was getting the best out of the players up until last summer, he subsequently tried to sell a good few of the players and replace others to attempt a league title challenge and wasn’t given the backing to do this. This lead to the falling out with some and the Pogba nonsense and ultimately losing the dressing room.

Was Jose showing some ambition trying to replace the deadwood which resulted in losing the players? Also yes
    Would we have finished in the top 2 if Jose had “got the best out of” this group of players? Absolutely not

This is where comprehension problems arise with some fans. The position we are in now is a direct result of what happened in the summer.

I find it hard to believe Jose’s head was really in it, finishing 20 points behind City and being told by the bean counters his squad was good enough going into a new season, he was probably awaiting the inevitable at that stage and this led to his no nonsense approach with players such Pogba and Martial because it was highly probable he would be out of the job anyway. Jose Mourinho knew well in advance that we would be in a fight for top 4 this season.

Summary
    The lack of ambition from the club has led us to this point, instead of indulging the likes of Pogba and going on to finish top 4 this season Jose has gone nuclear and doesn’t really care. “Out of date Jose” will go on and win trophies elsewhere whilst United struggle for the next 3 or 4 years.

So will "toxic Pogba" if he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fred... 50m on the bench

dinosaur tactics

None of them generate hits, clicks or retweets the way pogba does.

Pogba was first and foremost a commercial transfer. He has brought little or nothing football wise on a near enough consistent basis that he should be tolerated any longer. He has been allowed throw a strop and get his own way for too long and he should be booted.

Depay, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Di Maria were each turfed out for as little contribution, yet he is tolerated beyond reproach.

Raiola has our 2 highest profile players as his clients, has been involved in 5-6 of out biggest or highest profile signings and perhaps has the ear of Woodward far more than he ought to.

When players like Felipe Anderson, Moutinho, Bernardo Silva to name a few are continually linked, and going to other clubs continually, all while you're splurging absurd money on players with marketability it shows something is wrong at an organisational level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What would it look like if Mourinho was doing a terrible job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

fred... 50m on the bench

dinosaur tactics

Valencia have won one game this season, today, and were beaten 2-0 at home by a 10 man Juventus team.

They are no great shakes.

I would expect Utd to get a positive result on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Valencia have won one game this season, today, and were beaten 2-0 at home by a 10 man Juventus team.

Don't count on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Summary

Lack of ambition?? Seriously?

This I cannot understand. They gave Jose 400 odd million euro to spend on players. He proceeded to buy flop after flop. Jose wasted the money clear and simple.

If he got anymore he probably would have spent 80 million on Harry Maguire and 60 million Eric Dier. Jose wasted the money and then criticised the players publicly. Its no wonder the players are playing with no confidence.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wonder who will actually take the job now. You will need to be guaranteed half a billion to spend and a likely a few seasons grace of not winning a thing.

2022 could be our year.

“Out of date Jose” will go on and win trophies elsewhere whilst United struggle for the next 3 or 4 years.

Where? Back to Madrid? Probably only place in Spain that would touch him. Would any English club take him? Bayern have no need for him. I don't know what it's like it Italy but there there and PSG are the only places I can see him winning anything big at.

West Ham had also only won 1 PL game this season before todays game and look how that turned out.

Valencia is gonna be a very very tough game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

3 managers in and the club has regressed. Can only point to Fergie's genius. The club is now at its correct level. If you need success, time to abandon ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yep.

What players has Jose had trouble with at united? One player really. But the narrative is that Jose is obviously the problem. And as always the players sh*te performance for the club will be ignored or excused as the manager.

This sport can be so infuriatingly pathetic when a professional sportsman can be excused for playing poorly because he is not happy or didn’t like something a manager said to him. Ridiculous....

More than one player. Martial, Bailly and Shaw until this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Joke of a result to be honest.The only thing saving mourinho is there is no one to replace him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He clearly should be sacked. It’s Chelsea 2015 once again. I think he might get a stay of a few games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

I like Mourinho and really wanted it to work but unfortunately its time for him to go, as others have said, he should've been gone in the summer since the board didn't back him.

The amount of average players in this squad is a disgrace considering the amount of money spent since 2013, I think I read recently we have the second highest wage bill in the world, for this shower? What a ****ing joke. No wonder we cant get rid of our ****e players cause they're being paid ridiculous wages.

I have zero faith in the Glazers or Woodward and until there's serious changes upstairs, which I doubt there will be, I just cant see any manager coming in and making huge improvements. I actually feel sorry for the next manager whos crazy enough to take this job.

The whole club needs a MASSIVE overhaul manager, players, coaches, scouting, execs etc etc etc

Lack of ambition?? Seriously?

This I cannot understand. They gave Jose 400 odd million euro to spend on players. He proceeded to buy flop after flop. Jose wasted the money clear and simple.

If he got anymore he probably would have spent 80 million on Harry Maguire and 60 million Eric Dier. Jose wasted the money and then criticised the players publicly. Its no wonder the players are playing with no confidence.

70% of Pep’s budget, with a far worse squad.

Jose knew his time at United was coming to an end when the transfer window closed, which is why he has not given a fúck how he has dealt with the players in the last few months.

Jose does not care about finishing in the top 4, which was the limit of our ability this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

70% of Pep’s budget, with a far worse squad.

Jose knew his time at United was coming to an end when the transfer window closed, which is why he has not given a fúck how he has dealt with the players in the last few months.

Jose does not care about finishing in the top 4, which was the limit of our ability this season.

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

3 managers in and the club has regressed. Can only point to Fergie's genius. The club is now at its correct level. If you need success, time to abandon ship.

Miss the boss so much :( .. you knew a bad result would be ammunition to kick on and make up for it the next match.

The club needs a major overhaul, the lack of direction in terms of way of playing and signings is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

That's not really the full picture.

They've also lost only one game in La Liga.

They had a tricky enough first month of fixtures.
    They drew with Athletico Madrid, Villarael and Real Betis, which are solid enough results.

You can say they're no great shakes......but if you're losing games to Derby, West Ham and dropping points at home to Wolves - then sadly the same description applies to us.

I expect a difficult game next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's funny, I thought i'd never say it again but this is worse than LVG time at utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Headshot wrote: »
    It's funny, I thought i'd never say it again but this is worse than LVG time at utd.

Jose is only tolerable if you’re winning, it was ever thus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Summary

what wasnt true? and what was a common misconception?

Lightning has now struck twice, at 2 different clubs with 2 different sets of players....so what is the common link???

oh and btw he bought matic, a player he knows well and was hailed by many as the missing midfield link..and lukaku, player he couldnt wait to get rid of
    (along with salah and KDB)

I'm sorry but if he cant get top 4 and play decent football with....
    pogba
    lukaku
    sanchez
    de gea
    martial
    fred
    herrera
    etc etc

there is something wrong...remember ranners won it with Leicester, vardy and drinkwater

most managers would give their right eye for that squad

the least he owes his employers is to try...and try different tactics to punting long balls up to fellani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »

Worst start to a season since Moyes. Players just don't seem bothered. The sight of Smalling losing Arnautovic and standing shrugging his shoulders says it all. Even Matic doesn't have the drive he had when he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Alright shouting for mourinho to go but who in there right mind would come in to work under the shower of wasters that's running the club at the moment. Plus a lot of overpaid mediocre players in the squad. To get the Next decent manager is going to be a massive task.

I've never really watched Zidane play. I've seen a quote he believes in attacking football, but also have read articles that his main gameplan was "Hoof it at Ronaldo" and that worked well.

Thats not to say I don't want him or anything. His CV is great. But I do feel his name is floated cause he's the biggest name.

And I'd happily go for a smaller name if it meant trying to instill a more attacking, positive mentality into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've never really watched Zidane play. I've seen a quote he believes in attacking football, but also have read articles that his main gameplan was "Hoof it at Ronaldo" and that worked well.

Thats not to say I don't want him or anything. His CV is great. But I do feel his name is floated cause he's the biggest name.

And I'd happily go for a smaller name if it meant trying to instill a more attacking, positive mentality into the team.

Brendan Rodgers could soon be available.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement