Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Brendan Rodgers could soon be available.

We’d be much better off keeping Jose.

Some of the outrageous comments people come out with here is amplified when we go through a bad spell.

Being realistic the blame for today lies with Jose and the players. The performance was shocking from some players. Defence was shocking for the goals. Team selection was questionable from Jose. The defensive team selection makes United look like a team setting up to limit damage from a strong attacking team; yet today we were facing West Ham.

Today Sanchez should’ve been on the bench and Pogba dropped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

**** who replaces him. It is gone to **** since the people running the club pushed him and he reaponded by playing likes of Lindelof who even though he bought him was not good enough.

Shocking state of a club when players Jose bought are as likely to be moved on as the ones that were there in SAFs last season. Just like LVG.

Lots of blame to go around, continuing to throw money at it was not the solution on its own. A year to take stock makes sense as too much waste went on in recent years. From likes of Di Maria to Mkhitaryan to Lindelof. A key factor in United getting 2nd last season was the money over great management.

Jose may not have liked the answer he got when he asked for more but his choice to continue a course of provocation, negativity and kill off any chance of even a good season is unforgivable in my opinion. He needs and deserves to be going.

People can be apprehensive about who comes on but the list of premier league winning managers is short yet sees names like Mancini, Ranieri and Pellegrini on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I can't believe Mourinho got these wasters to finish second last season.

He tried to get rid of half of them in the summer and they have no interest in playing for him.

The board have caused this problem, I think Mourinho is the best we will get and don't want him to go but he has to now as the players won't play for him.

It's going to be some shock for whovever takes over

In fairness I’m not Jose’s biggest fan at all but I agree he wasn’t given much support by the club over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

already 5 points away from top 4 with probably top 3 positions already in place for rest of season. cant see us getting that other 4th spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've never really watched Zidane play. I've seen a quote he believes in attacking football, but also have read articles that his main gameplan was "Hoof it at Ronaldo" and that worked well.

Thats not to say I don't want him or anything. His CV is great. But I do feel his name is floated cause he's the biggest name.

And I'd happily go for a smaller name if it meant trying to instill a more attacking, positive mentality into the team.

His CV as a player certainly was outstanding.

Some will say the jury is still out on him as a manager.

Yes, Real had great success in the CL.
    But he inherited a team of superstars there. He didn't have a big rebuilding job.

His team still finished almost 20 points behind Barca in the league last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Jose does not care about finishing in the top 4, which was the limit of our ability this season.
    Jaysus, the lack of responsibility and expectation placed on Mourinho by some is craven. You complain about the players not giving it their all but absolve Jose because he wasn't backed for a title push?

Some managers don't get the players they want, they are meant to deal with it. Pochettino has much more to complain about but he's getting on with it and his team still try to play with purpose and shape. Benitez has to deal with Mike bloody Ashley and still gets on with it with minimal fuss.

Jose has lost it.

Until he gets to the next club and starts winning trophies again.
    I really have my doubts. His football is looking more outdated by the day. While he had a bit of success at Madrid and Chelsea things never seemed rosy with unhappy dressing rooms and fans. I'm not sure what club that will be able to back him financially in the way he obviously needs will want him and his baggage. I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

#Wengerin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've never really watched Zidane play. I've seen a quote he believes in attacking football, but also have read articles that his main gameplan was "Hoof it at Ronaldo" and that worked well.

Thats not to say I don't want him or anything. His CV is great. But I do feel his name is floated cause he's the biggest name.

And I'd happily go for a smaller name if it meant trying to instill a more attacking, positive mentality into the team.

Brendan Rodgers could soon be available.
    Fck off

chelsea's passing in first 2 mins has been better than we managed in 90 min v west ham...

oh, i almost forgot...

West Ham....

WEST HAM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

bangkok wrote: »
    chelsea's passing in first 2 mins has been better than we managed in 90 min v west ham...

oh, i almost forgot...

West Ham....

WEST HAM

As if watching United wasn't irritating enough.

As if watching United wasn't irritating enough.

:D

Change of coach is not enough. They need to gut Juventus. Paratici, Marotta, Allegri. Take those three and its win for Man Uted, win for the rest in Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So much difference in aggression levels between us and these two teams. We stand a yard or two off every player and seem to think that's enough.

Liverpool and Chelsea are not giving each other even half a second's peace. No fear, full pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about the current Germany manager. I know they screwed up in the World Cup but he could be worth a punt and might be interested in club management although managing Utd at the moment wouldn't be appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

J. Marston wrote: »
    So much difference in aggression levels between us and these two teams. We stand a yard or two off every player and seem to think that's enough.

Liverpool and Chelsea are not giving each other even half a second's peace. No fear, full pressure.

Could not agree more. Was at the game last week and it was as clear as Day that no pressure was being put on Wolves in possession. Same Craic today. Why can’t Jose see this as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lack of ambition?? Seriously?

This I cannot understand. They gave Jose 400 odd million euro to spend on players. He proceeded to buy flop after flop. Jose wasted the money clear and simple.

If he got anymore he probably would have spent 80 million on Harry Maguire and 60 million Eric Dier. Jose wasted the money and then criticised the players publicly. Its no wonder the players are playing with no confidence.

I don’t know why people are blaming Woodward. In his time he’s hired two serious and high profile managers and a raft of quality players those managers wanted.

And he managers have proceeded to not get things working

What exactly is Woodward fault here exactly can i ask?

The fact in the summer he said “nah **** this” and is looking for a DOF is a positive step and a radical one for the club.

A manager can not be trusted anymore to spend the vast amounts of money a club like ours needs to spend. The mere fact those players depreciate in value rapidly is another socking nail in the managers coffins.

I don’t know why anyone is pointing fingers at Woodward. Ironically from some posters it’s also big Jose fans. He hired the manager , supplied him a fortune and he blew it and with it likely his career.

I’m not really seeing any of what’s Woodward’s fault here, only that he didn’t sack Mourinho sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don’t know why people are blaming Woodward. In his time he’s hired two serious and high profile managers and a raft of quality players those managers wanted.

What exactly is Woodward fault here exactly can i ask? .

Shouldn't have granted Mourinho a contract extension if he wasn't going to back him to the hilt in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What exactly is Woodward fault here exactly can i ask?

The fact in the summer he said “nah **** this” and is looking for a DOF is a positive step and a radical one for the club.

A manager can not be trusted anymore to spend the vast amounts of money a club like ours needs to spend. The mere fact those players depreciate in value rapidly is another socking nail in the managers coffins.

I don’t know why anyone is pointing fingers at Woodward. Ironically from some posters it’s also big Jose fans. He hired the manager , supplied him a fortune and he blew it and with it likely his career.

I’m not really seeing any of what’s Woodward’s fault here, only that he didn’t sack Mourinho sooner.

There ya go. Once he decided the manager couldnt be trusted with money he should have been sacked.

Headshot wrote: »
    It's funny, I thought i'd never say it again but this is worse than LVG time at utd.

At least with Van Gaal he was an engaging person and had an idea and plan. That it wasn’t working sucked but he even called on the area that needing improving and signings. The very ones Jose got when he took over that summer.

There has not been a semblance of an idea or plan since he left. Wether people liked it or no he was laying down something

Was only reminded of Jose quotes when he started and see a club official was speaking the other day about how some senior figures havnt liked JM since day dot when she labeled everything in the club ****. Where plenty of people felt even with Van Gaal gone some good things had been out in place

Mourinho as usual has left no legacy or infrastructure or anything , just a broken squad and car cash to be cleaned up by someone else.

Seriously he can just **** off at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Headshot wrote:
    Id be reluctant to see most of them sold as they are really low on confidence at the moment and a change in management might do the world of good to them.

Most of them aren't good enough for a title challenge no matter who was in charge. You think Pep would turn the likes of Smalling, Jones etc into world beaters? They're awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

titan18 wrote: »
    Most of them aren't good enough for a title challenge no matter who was in charge. You think Pep would turn the likes of Smalling, Jones etc into world beaters? They're awful

I was really referring to Pogba and Martial

Smalling can be a squad player but Jones can really **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looking very clear what teams will be in the top 3 come end season even though its so early.

Arsenal and Spurs are in a much better position then ourselves as well.

There's very little to be positive about when you look at the state of Manchester United as a football club. The direction where going in its become clear where no longer a big team on the pitch. Really anyone is capable of beating us these days home or away.

It shows no sign of improvement either it's only gotten worse.

Sarri is at chelsea only 2 months and already his stamp is on the team, clear to see what they are doing.

Jose is into his 3rd season at united, spent a fortune and we are getting worse with no team identity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sarri is at chelsea only 2 months and already his stamp is on the team, clear to see what they are doing.

Jose is into his 3rd season at united, spent a fortune and we are getting worse with no team identity

Exactly this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wenger will get the job if it becomes available during the season.

Yup it's a fair point.

We have no identity and Jose still doesn't know his best team

Headshot wrote:

Fair enough, can understand those two being kept, even though I think both of them are spoiled brats and won't really matter what manager is there.

De Gea, Matic, Fellaini, Lingard and Lukaku and maybe Fred are only ones getting passes from me at this stage. Rest are either not good enough for a title challenging team or have given up which I dislike.

That’s actually so sobering when I read it.

Your 100% spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Smalling can be a squad player but Jones can really **** off

Once a good prospect, injury has destroyed him, he's our centre half version of Jack wilshere.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

titan18 wrote: »

While I agree the team isn't good enough for a title challange, nor do I think they are a 10th place team either. We should be in the top 4 comfortably enough, and thats ultimately why I feel Jose's time is up. It's not that he isn't turning an average team into world beaters, it's that we've seemingly regressed into a midtable club this season with no signs of improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

It's funny, I thought i'd never say it again but this is worse than LVG time at utd.

At least with Van Gaal he was an engaging person and had an idea and plan. That it wasn’t working sucked but he even called on the area that needing improving and signings. The very ones Jose got when he took over that summer.

There has not been a semblance of an idea or plan since he left. Wether people liked it or no he was laying down something

Was only reminded of Jose quotes when he started and see a club official was speaking the other day about how some senior figures havnt liked JM since day dot when she labeled everything in the club ****. Where plenty of people felt even with Van Gaal gone some good things had been out in place

Mourinho as usual has left no legacy or infrastructure or anything , just a broken squad and car cash to be cleaned up by someone else.

Seriously he can just **** off at this stage.
    Some people just want Jose to work so bad that they look else where for fault.  Jose's been given more than enough money and time.  Woodward has nothing to do with what we are seeing here, its all Jose's doing.

300m and we have resorted to playing hoofball to Fellaini.  In the last two games that is our "gameplan".  Hoofball to Felaini.  Just let that sink in.  Jose's time is up imo and I ve said it once and I'll say it again, if we bought zero players and sold zero players in the summer we should still have beaten all the teams we have lost to this season so far.
    No plan, no style, no cohesion and no hunger.  Thats what Jose has delivered and his comments today are embarrasing, he loves to thrwo players under the bus and he thinks he is faultless,  his ego is sickening at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mourinho: "Congratulations to the scout that found the 21 year old kid, Diop. He was a monster, he dominated every duel."
    "I quite liked France's centre-back Issa Diop who is a big unit."

"I also like their defender Issa Diop who is very powerful physically."

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100458673
    "Centre-back Issa Diop of Toulouse is a name to remember. He has huge potential and provided a great assist for Toivonen's winner."

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101104197&postcount=78

Sums up United's scouting policy. It's not like the guy was plucked from obscurity. Diop was a member of France's U-19 Euros winning side three years ago and anyone following Ligue 1 was aware of what a good prospect he was. He was one of the most highly rated young CBs in Europe. Was the club really unaware of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

When has Jose done longer then 3 years in one club at one stint? Sums him up completely and it's always been obvious why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Mourinho: "Congratulations to the scout that found the 21 year old kid, Diop. He was a monster, he dominated every duel."
    Sums up United's scouting policy. It's not like the guy was plucked from obscurity. Diop was a member of France's U-19 Euros winning side three years ago and anyone following Ligue 1 was aware of what a good prospect he was. He was one of the most highly rated young CBs in Europe. Was the club really unaware of him?

Meh, he had a decent game, although he didn't have much to defend against.

I remember defenders like Michael Mancienne and Reece Oxford being highly rated and where are they now.

Jose just just throwing the toys out of the pram and getting a dig on someone else to deflect from his own problems.

racso1975 wrote: »

When has Jose done longer then 3 years in one club at one stint? Sums him up completely and it's always been obvious why
    This is why I never wanted him to get the job.  What we are seeing is expected and many of those jokes predicting it are true.  You see this meme often online

Jose's three season plan
    Season 1.  Buy the bus
    Season 2. Park the bus
    Season 3. Throw players under the bus.

There is a lot of truth to that joke.  I was worried about his attitude when we hired him and he is doing exactly what I feared.  This is Jose through and though minus the success.  Players dont like him or his system and he starts causing rifts and has no humility or willingness to change.  If you want some valid criticism of Woodward you could say his biggest mistake was backing Jose in the first place.  As they say careful what you ask for.  Jose is an arrogant man who is stubborn to the hilt.  At this point he simply has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

If you could even see what he was trying to do then you could at least have some semblance of understanding.

The team is completely unbalanced. We don’t press enough or have any structure to our play.

He has been picking fights with players publicly. I’m sick of hearing abuse Pogba gets l. It’s fabricated nonsense that he’s not trying etc. He is the only one in the team that consistently shows for the ball. It’s no wonder he has a high turnover figure given he’s the only player trying to be positive. In saying all that, he was out of line with his comments to the press and Mourinho rightly had to discipline him for that. But not the way he did publicly.

Mourinho has to go. I have no idea who to replace him with but it doesn’t matter. He’s alienating too many players who have potential. I don’t even think the teams not playing for him. I just don’t think they know what they’re meant to be doing.

He is finished as a manager. Game has passed him by and he’s too stubborn to adapt. I can’t think of any other team in any of top leagues who don’t press high. United do it sparingly and half hearted before dropping deep. It’s incredibly frustrating watching teams such as Derby and Wolves knocking the ball around for prolonged periods at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

**** I hate Liverpool but thst goal was insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Just home from a day out golfing,so thankfully didnt have to sit through the match. I love Jose but..

He has taken us as far as he can, though it's not just his fault, the players need to share the blame, he needs to be moved on and a new manager needs to be brought in and given the rest of the season as a free pass to get his stamp on the team and know what incomings and outgoings he needs.

Who comes in is now the obvious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watching Chelsea and Liverpool players work their balls off to get the ball back would make you wonder why the Utd lads cant do the same,is it because they are stuck in a rigid system or they just dont have the desire to do it for 90 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Watching Chelsea and Liverpool players work their balls off to get the ball back would make you wonder why the Utd lads cant do the same,is it because they are stuck in a rigid system or they just dont have the desire to do it for 90 minutes

Desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭micks_address

Worst start to a season since Moyes. Players just don't seem bothered. The sight of Smalling losing Arnautovic and standing shrugging his shoulders says it all. Even Matic doesn't have the drive he had when he joined.
    Worst start in 29 years apparently

united lads dont even know what they are at. all over the place and are probably sick of the manager

You know it's been said numerous times now but I just can't get over how similar this season so far is to Jose's last season at Chelsea.

Just like deja vu tbh

It's like no club can handle Jose for 3 or more seasons and he causes issue in the dressing room, I feel the players don't want to play for him.

In one way, I feel sorry for Jose. Im sure he doesn't want to be known for this 3 season syndrome

Watching Chelsea and Liverpool players work their balls off to get the ball back  would make you wonder why the Utd lads cant do the same,is it because they are stuck in a rigid system or they just dont have the desire to do it for 90 minutes
    Its not down to players lacking desire.  This is Jose's tactical style.  You think the likes of Lingard and Rashford dont want to bust a gut for the team? of course not.

Jose's philosophy is the team with the ball is the team with the fear and the team who makes the least mistakes wins,  Especially away from home he is happy to surrender possession, park the bus and wait for the opposition to make a failed attack then counter them.  This means your without the ball a lot and have limited opportunities to take your chances.

The problem is Jose hasn't got our attack or defense working and its all down to his purchases.   At Madrid he was gifted a great squad and the counter system was perfect.  Problem is he is inflexible and teams are figuring it out easily.
    Conceding in the 5th minute and having Lukaku offside a lot and the other forwards out of form means your system is now useless.

Lord TSC wrote:
    While I agree the team isn't good enough for a title challange, nor do I think they are a 10th place team either. We should be in the top 4 comfortably enough, and thats ultimately why I feel Jose's time is up. It's not that he isn't turning an average team into world beaters, it's that we've seemingly regressed into a midtable club this season with no signs of improvement.

Im not sure we should be a top 4 team on paper. City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are all stronger starting 11s than ours imo. I'd say we've a few weak starting players that wouldn't get into some mid table clubs starting teams tbh. I probably wouldn't put Valencia, Young or Smalling in for example.

Take De Gea away and how many seasons do we finish top 4 in since Ferguson left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

First time in my life I've ever noticed a negative goal deficit this many games into a season

Did he explain the McTominay selection ? Turned of the Telly at the final whistle.

Can’t think of a reason that doesn’t make him look like he’s lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s ironic people are looking at the Chelsea manager as a shining example Of how to stamp your signature on a team. Jose was also able to stamp his signature on that team aswell. It’s a multiple league winning quality squad Sarri inherited that downs tools every two seasons for every manager no matter who it is... like Leicester with ranieri. City with Pellegrini and Mancini....

The united squad Jose inherited had achieved nothing but mediocrity and was a mess. You don’t know what any other manager would do with this bunch.

Jose hasn’t spent a penny. The club bought those players. Real life isn’t like football manager where a manager selects their priorities. The club has its own strategy in buying and selling players. You choosing to constantly ignore it doesn’t change that fact....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Did he explain the McTominay selection ? Turned of the Telly at the final whistle.

Can’t think of a reason that doesn’t make him look like he’s lost it.

He said he was the best defender today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It just look silly reading posts above with people laying into Mourinho’s “negative tactics” that have worked at every other club he has managed and won him more than any other active manager.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement