Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Like the Republic of Ireland many just think getting a new manager will sort out everything and the world will be all sunshine.

The reality with both is that they're bigger elephants in the room and a new change of Manager won't automatically see a huge change in my opinion.

The club needs overhaul from top to bottom. Not just a different manager.

if we pushed forward as a unit, 10-20 yards up the field it would make a huge difference to our setup and attacking game, also i would love to see us hunt down Valencia when they have the ball tomorrow night as a team and really go for them from the start. they have started the season in spain poorly and should be there for the taking tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ah to be fair I'm sure they are all aware how crap they were. We don't need all of them coming out one by one admitting they were awful :pac:

Do they though ? These guys are surrounded by people telling them how great they are all the time and that when they play bad its not their fault. Mancini, Pelligrini, Jose and Conte all won leagues and lost their jobs barely a season later . .

The players with a bit of character and who have a bit of professional pride will be embarrassed with people excusing their poor displays. It is sad to say that wherever you look, there is not an awful lot of redeemable qualities around Old Trafford these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If this UTD team was instructed to attack and not sit back from the first whistle we have more than enough quality to trouble teams. Playing players like Sanchez on his preferred wing and like wise for Martial could make a huge difference. The Lukaku would not be so isolated.

Finding your strongest attacking 11 and sticking with it with minor changes as obvious as its sounds would be a huge step in the right direction right now.

Jose doesn't know who he wants to play week to week let alone his strongest 11. The last time we played with three CB's including a midfielder in there we lost and with three goals in the process. We pick 3 CB's again Saturday with McTominay, who is so far an average midfielder, and being asked to play in a position alien to him in an important must win match and surprise surprise we ship three goals.

Its amateurish and bizarre from Jose, its easy to see he has failed to get a cohesive team together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If this UTD team was instructed to attack and not sit back from the first whistle we have more than enough quality to trouble teams. Playing players like Sanchez on his preferred wing and like wise for Martial could make a huge difference. The Lukaku would not be so isolated.

Hasnt he played on that in almost every game, with pretty much no return?

• bangkok wrote: »
    matic has been poor for a while now and as with Shaws comments earlier, when pogba came out after the brighton game and said the very same thing he was slated.

He didn't come out and say the very same thing.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can't wait until the new manager comes in and tells the players to attack. What a team talk it's going to be, "alright lads, I want you to attack, do you think you can try that for me? Lovely stuff."

Such a shame that the lads haven't been told to do that for a few years now, but I'm sure once they are told to attack it will all come flooding back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I can't wait until the new manager comes in and tells the players to attack. What a team talk it's going to be, "alright lads, I want you to attack, do you think you can try that for me? Lovely stuff."

Such a shame that the lads haven't been told to do that for a few years now, but I'm sure once they are told to attack it will all come flooding back to them.

"look I'm having another go at bangkok, please thank my post everyone!"

Absolutely pathetic at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

"Hey look! bankok said something utterly redicolous/pointless/nonsensical and got pulled on it again, so I'll jump in even though I'm not the one been addressed!"

Come off it donkey, you're kidding no one.

limnam wrote: »
    "Hey look! bankok said something utterly redicolous/pointless/nonsensical and got pulled on it again, so I'll jump in even though I'm not the one been addressed!"

I'm not trying to kid anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I read that in shreks voice ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I get what you say, you're right.

My point was pretty clear in that in both cases a change in manger won't automatically see huge change.

From United point of view we have players who seem to think they are bigger then the club. We have a board more interested in the money then trophies.

Get rid of Jose won't charge that and with all the money we have does not matter if the vision is backward and not forward

I get your point about us needing a structure and plan in place, since Fergie left it's been more a case of bring in a new manager, sign a big name and hope for the best, which we see hasn't really worked out.

And I don't wanna fall into the Irish debate, been there too many times in Irish thread, just feel that in International football manager selection carries a different factor to the immediate success of the team as whoever is brought in has the same pool of players to select from and build their style around, at least in club football they have the ability to buy players to suit their system, provided they are given the funds, and try invest into a certain plan and goal.

Just my reasons I'm not a huge fan of the comparison, probably also because it triggered the debates that I have over there :P

Also, I know some people fume at the mention of Poch but from what I read before about him something he does, or clubs seem to allow him to do is build the system from the ground up, being involved heavily with the youth setup, having the teams playing the same formations and styles as the senior squad to try aid with their transition to the senior squad and development for the future.

Now Spurs are hardly the best example of success but it's interesting. Maybe Jose is allowed to do this and does but I'll put my hand up and admit I don't know. Just thought it was interesting and wonder if we have a system similarly put in place.

I agree with those who say that changing manager wont fix everything, but we really need to look at a long term manager who would be afforded the ability to build the entire club around their design. Be it Jose or someone else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Also, I know some people fume at the mention of Poch but from what I read before about him something he does, or clubs seem to allow him to do is build the system from the ground up, being involved heavily with the youth setup, having the teams playing the same formations and styles as the senior squad to try aid with their transition to the senior squad and development for the future.

Now Spurs are hardly the best example of success but it's interesting. Maybe Jose is allowed to do this and does but I'll put my hand up and admit I don't know. Just thought it was interesting and wonder if we have a system similarly put in place.

I agree with those who say that changing manager wont fix everything, but we really need to look at a long term manager who would be afforded the ability to build the entire club around their design. Be it Jose or someone else.

A long term plan is only good if it can cope with change. United should not need one coach for a long time. They should be able to deal with change.

The structures above manager need to be the key people making those plans and then selecting a manager who is suitable to their ideas.

Edit: i should say I agree with the general idea but first team coach does not need to be the one doing it all.

what did i say exactly?????

cant wait to hear this one

What a feeble minded post. "Go attack lads " yeah thats what some of us think all it will take, no more planning or tactical system then that.

But hey let's continue to park the bus from kick off away to lower league tables. What a hugley entertaining and progressive style that is. Oh wait, actually Jose's 300m team is getting beaten by non league sides but it can't be his fault.

No suprise the usual Jose defenders thanked that childish garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Cue your buddies thanking this one..

You're the exact same tbh.. you go on and on about clicks and groups but ye three are the exact feckin same, except all ye do is try to bring the thread down and down and down..

And I'm not talking about now, we all know the club is in the ****ter now, after any game, win lose or draw its negative goalpost moving bull****.

Absolutely pathetic at this stage

astradave wrote: »

You're the exact same tbh.. you go on and on about clicks and groups but ye three are the exact feckin same, except all ye do is try to bring the thread down and down and down..

And I'm not talking about now, we all know the club is in the ****ter now, after any game, win lose or draw its negative goalpost moving bull****.

i want to know what limnam thinks is so redicolous/pointless/nonsensical that i posted...

"Hey look! bankok said something utterly redicolous/pointless/nonsensical and got pulled on it again"

Also, I know some people fume at the mention of Poch but from what I read before about him something he does, or clubs seem to allow him to do is build the system from the ground up

He absolutely would not be given the time to do that at United. Any manager coming in who thinks he will be given 3/4 seasons grace to revamp the squad and instill his vision is just kidding himself.

Van Gaal and Mourinho had visions too, had systems they wanted to implement from the ground up, where are they now? And they could point to trophies.

I'll start my own clique.

All welcome as long as they have a love of Phil Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

awec wrote: »
    Who'd be stupid enough to pay his wages?

Just us 😂

No suprise the usual Jose defenders thanked that childish garbage.

It will always amaze me that grown men and women actually look at who "thanks" a post on the internet.

The fact that they then give a **** about who thanked what is another level altogether.

I'll start my own clique.

All welcome as long as they have a love of Phil Jones.

You had me at clique but you lost me at Jones.

Man utd tea person supporters club (who doesnt love tea, politically correct, possible future sponsorship from lyons)

astradave wrote: »

How do I bring the thread down? Who do I repeatedly target with satire and gifs in this thread? I don't even know what three you're talking about, I assume bangkok is one of them but who's the third?

The irony of accusing me of being negative when I'm seemingly one of the few who believes we have a good squad that's well capable of beating any team in the league. I believe that Martial and Rashford can be developed into excellent players whilst others regularly regard them as failures and lazy and claim they don't give a f*ck about the club. I believe we can finish top 4 and even challenge for the title, others claim we'd be lucky to get top 6. Everyday we hear about how most of the squad are terrible and aren't fit to wear the shirt usually followed by throwbacks to the days of Keane and Ferguson etc.

If you want negative have a look at the meltdowns that were taking place in the summer over a holiday picture of Luke Shaw or that fact that we only spent 70 odd million on 2 players. Plenty of posts from people describing about how have never been less excited about a new season and having such low expectations. There was a poster in here recently claiming he doesn't even care anymore. This thread is full of negativity, and it isn't from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

How do I bring the thread down? Who do I repeatedly target with satire and gifs in this thread? I don't even know what three you're talking about, I assume bangkok is one of them but who's the third?

The irony of accusing me of being negative when I'm seemingly one of the few who believes we have a good squad that's well capable of beating any team in the league. I believe that Martial and Rashford can be developed into excellent players whilst others regularly regard them as failures and lazy and claim they don't give a f*ck about the club. I believe we can finish top 4 and even challenge for the title, others claim we'd be lucky to get top 6. Everyday we hear about how most of the squad are terrible and aren't fit to wear the shirt usually followed by throwbacks to the days of Keane and Ferguson etc.

If you want negative have a look at the meltdowns that were taking place in the summer over a holiday picture of Luke Shaw or that fact that we only spent 70 odd million on 2 players. Plenty of posts from people describing about how have never been less excited about a new season and having such low expectations. There was a poster in here recently claiming he doesn't even care anymore. This thread is full of negativity, and it isn't from me.

Your dead right donkey I agree I think your a fantastic poster and don't talk rubbish at all I love reading your posts to be honest. Dave is just jealous.

It will always amaze me that grown men and women actually look at who "thanks" a post on the internet.

The fact that they then give a **** about who thanked what is another level altogether.

Given how one poster is ganged up on by the same few and they always takes turns in thanking those posts I'd say white a few are checking and that's really pathetic.

They take turns? What does that even mean, do they have a rota or something? Is it zonal thanking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

They take turns? What does that even mean, do they have a rota or something? Is it zonal thanking?

:pac: Its getting to peak ****ing ridiculous in here now.

Imagine if Valencia beat us!

:pac: Its getting to peak ****ing ridiculous in here now.

Imagine if Valencia beat us!

Derby, Brighton and West Ham did so wouldn't really be a surprise if they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Christ this place is toxic sometimes.

Anyone have any interest in discussing the decision to play McTominay in defence? Was it a genuine tactical decision? If so what does it say about where Mourinho's head is at? He claims he played a back three because he felt pressure to play Martial but has no faith in Martial to do his defensive duties. What a damning indictment of the squad and Jose coaching of it. How unlucky are we that we keep singing players with the wrong attitude? And he says he played McTominay there because he could pass out from defence and claims that it worked in that regard but I'm guessing just like with Herrera a few weeks back I'm guessing we won't see it again any time soon.

But if, as seems more likely, it is was a message to the board or other players it isn't very fair on McTominay. I always felt his compliments to the player were pointed at someone else, as if to say "Even Scott is better then you." And any message to the board is blunted by Eric Bailly sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

bangkok wrote: »
    Derby, Brighton and West Ham did so wouldn't really be a surprise if they did

Neither would i!

Its just as likely we will win though and it will save Jose for another day!

Anyone have any interest in discussing the decision to play McTominay in defence? Was it a genuine tactical decision? If so what does it say about where Mourinho's head is at? He claims he played a back three because he felt pressure to play Martial but has no faith in Martial to do his defensive duties. What a damning indictment of the squad and Jose coaching of it. How unlucky are we that we keep singing players with the wrong attitude? And he says he played McTominay there because he could pass out from defence and claims that it worked in that regard but I'm guessing just like with Herrera a few weeks back I'm guessing we won't see it again any time soon.

But if, as seems more likely, it is was a message to the board or other players it isn't very fair on McTominay. I always felt his compliments to the player were pointed at someone else, as if to say "Even Scott is better then you." And any message to the board is blunted by Eric Bailly sitting on the bench.

I actually got that impression last season. I felt McTominay was more of a pawn in Mourinho's "Cold War" with Pogba than a player that Mourinho was actually interested in developing and using.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Unbelievable in ways but yes could well be a message to others. I wanted to play 3 cb's but this is all you left me with.

First rule of the clique...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

This is just embarrassing for the club

Change has to happen

Paging Time For A Change, repeat paging Time For A Change.

• Advertisement

• They take turns? What does that even mean, do they have a rota or something? Is it zonal thanking?

Again not the first time it's been said in this thread but maybe, just maybe some people share the same opinions as others and agree. It somehow becomes in thread bullying when ultimately it's just people calling out bull****.

The faux outrage is embarrassing and it's been going on in this thread for months now.

And the other thing is **** me some guys could do with taking a chill pill, take everything so ****ing seriously all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The praise of McT afterwards was more of the churlish counter productive stuff we see from this manager all the time.

Clearly the guy struggled in that CB role - not his fault, he's inexperienced and he's not a centre back.

Picking him out for special praise was another thinly veiled public stab at the rest of the team.

You'd have to assume he was played there just as a point scoring exercise by the manager
    Which is really detestable behaviour.

Whatever you might think of the summer transfer window - getting three points from the game should always be the top priority for any manager.

Yes it's zonal marking, spot on. What a great reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I blame Jose for all of this

Yes it's zonal marking, spot on. What a great reply.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'm thinking that Jose playing a midfielder as practically a third defender in many games this season is his petulant way of showing the board and everyone else that his defensive options are just that poor.

The unfortunate irony though, is that even playing this way we have never been poorer defensively :(

Over the last couple of weeks I have completely lost hope that this season can be turned around. So many problems exist in so many areas of the club. Mourinho is definitely a big part of the problem at this stage and he will be the one that takes the bulk of the blame when he gets sacked but so much more needs to happen to start fixing the club which will not get done imo.

We are being left behind in so many ways by our biggest rivals, and not just on the pitch. The damage that has been done to the club since Fergie left is going to take a long long time to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Style of football is crap and utd are 10th in the league -even if he was getting on with the players sack him for that alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Interesting to compare the reaction of Pochitino and Klopp to Mourinho having not being backed.

Pochitino wasn't backed at all this summer while 12 months ago Liverpool made a complete pigs ear of their attempts to sign VVD. Both Klopp and Pochitino were left in a similar situation to what Mourinho has been this year, yet managed to carry on without the belligerence and doom that seems to typify Mourinho's 3rd seasons.

Mourinho may not have been backed to the extent he would like, but he's still got a responsibility to manage what he has and in that regard, he seems content to instead drive it off a cliff

This chestnut frequently pops up where United are compared to Liverpool and Spurs and not City alone which is far more relevant.

United should be on a different plane to Liverpool and Spurs altogether. Liverpool have one league cup in the last decade, United have 4 league titles, 3 league cups, an FA cup, a champions league and a uefa cup.

Klopp went into Liverpool with massively different expectations than Mourinho, Mourinho is at the biggest club financially in the world, expected to win trophies, Mourinho at the time of hiring was the best coach in the world equal to Pep

You hire Jose Mourinho you hire him to win you league titles, it’s a tried and tested formula. Jose Mourinho doesn’t play happy families, he is perfectly entitled to be fuming at being told his squad is good enough when in reality top 4 with no trophies is the best we could hope for with that squad.

Please see below
    duploelabs wrote: »
    A Chelsea fan coming in peace, but all the signs were there. What amazes me is that you don't look at what happened to us when Jose got shunted out the second time.
    Exactly the same team issues, exactly the same playing players out of position, the same reliance on players who were out of form, exactly the same blaming of lack of backing in the previous transfer window...

it's all happening again

Yes^

Things we know about Jose Mourinho

1. He wins trophies when he is given what he wants
    2. He goes mental when he is not backed

What did we do? Despite an actual play by play scenario happening at Chelsea 3 years ago?

You guessed it, we didn’t fùcking back him.

Being angry at Mourinho because he has reached his toxic stage is mental because we absolutely knew what to do not to get to this point yet we did it anyway! We thoroughly deserve what is happening right now. Manchester is blue and will be for the next 5 years I’d imagine.

bangkok wrote: »
    i want to know what limnam thinks is so redicolous/pointless/nonsensical that i posted...

Pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Quandary wrote: »
    Over the last couple of weeks I have completely lost hope that this season can be turned around. So many problems exist in so many areas of the club. Mourinho is definitely a big part of the problem at this stage and he will be the one that takes the bulk of the blame when he gets sacked but so much more needs to happen to start fixing the club which will not get done imo.

We are being left behind in so many ways by our biggest rivals, and not just on the pitch. The damage that has been done to the club since Fergie left is going to take a long long time to fix.
    As someone else said on here recently this board doesn't do anything decisively so I'm not convinced that a sacking is just around the corner. But I can't see Jose turning it around either so I do think we'll be looking to hire a new manager by the summer at the latest and I have no trust in the board to make an informed decision.

Jose recently complained he's now more of a head coach (I'd argue not a very good one) and not a manager so if that is the role going forward we need to hire someone who thrives in that role and build a structure around him to support it, if that's a Director of Football or whatever. Not just go for the next available big name manager and carry on doing the same things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Give it t'giggsy til end't of season.

Pretty much everything.

Everything? Wow. Amazed by that response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not diminishing Klopp here at all

But Pool are an example of a club where the manager clearly had the full backing of the board, shared a vision together and showed an ambition in the summer to strengthen to take a step forward.

Their defence was an issue? Broke the record fee for a defender. Keeper was an issue, despite the fact it was one Klopp bought? Broke the record for a keeper. Needed to deepen the squad with serious talent? Fabinho and Shaqiri in. Pool in the summer showed faith in their manager, and backed him massively.

And Pool show the benefits of that; genuinely have stepped up their league game this season, while playing brilliant football.

Meanwhile, Woody put the brakes on Jose and said "good enough, thanks". Jose identifies key areas that need addressing, and the board just shrugged and went "nah, do with what you've got". Lack of ambition, lack of faith, a lack of desire to try and catch up with City, while,letting Pool rocket ahead of us.

And there's some people have such a hatred of Jose, they accepted that lack of backing, lack of ambition, simply cause they are happy to see the club stall if it means they get to take their pound of flesh from Jose....

Utd needed a cm. Paid 90 odd million. Broke world record.
    United needed a cf. Broke their record for a cf.
    United need a new cb. Paid 70m for two.
    Utd need a cdm pay 54m for fred.
    Utd need a winger. pay astronomical wages for sanchez.
    Mourinho simply hasnt been backed. Its a crying shame :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Man utd tea person supporters club (who doesnt love tea, politically correct, possible future sponsorship from lyons)

The ads write themselves;

"Put on more transfer funds"

"There are no more transfer funds"

Utd needed a cm. Paid 90 odd million. Broke world record.
    United needed a cf. Broke their record for a cf.
    United need a new cb. Paid 70m for two.
    Utd need a cdm pay 54m for fred.
    Utd need a winger. pay astronomical wages for sanchez.
    Mourinho simply hasnt been backed. Its a crying shame :rolleyes:

Hard to believe this hasn't been backed mantra is still going strong.

How much more backing is required to beat Derby/West Ham/Spurs(the only team in transfer window history not to buy anyone)/Brighton?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement