Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Get to ****. Unless the rules have changed, I don't have to be a United fan to post in here. Maybe a mod could clarify if that's the case, or whether you're chatting through your arse?

How about calm down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Yer right.

But Fergie was said that he and the agent showed so little respect and was better off if that's the way they carried on. A touch of few other dealings down years come to mind.

Fergie would bend over backwards to keep a player if he wanted. On this occasion he didn't even though like ye say he wanted him.

Did he smell trouble down the line if that was the carry on.
    I agree that Fergie smelt something. Probably wanted him to stay but when push came to shove didn't fight as hard as he would have, say, with CR7.

Quote from Fergie about the situation
    “We had Paul under a three-year contract, and it had a one-year renewal option which we were eager to sign. But Raiola suddenly appeared on the scene and our first meeting was a fiasco. He and I were like oil and water. From then on, our goose was cooked because Raiola had been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family and the player signed with Juventus.”

Ferguson has made it clear he really wanted to keep Pogba, knowing his potential. Like we have said many times the reason it fell through was they turned down the offer and Pogba went to Juventus, with Fergie and Mino clashing along the way.

As much as I love Fergie it had nothing to do with him having some spidey sense that years down the line it would blow up in his face. I honestly don't get the way some fans try use Pogba leaving as a way to suggest Fergie knew something about him, just completely wrong.

It's gas. Fair enough if you don't like Pogba but it's nonsense to suggest that Fergie got rid of him, or wasn't too pushed on keeping him. Fergie was quite annoyed at the time of his departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamocovic wrote: »

Ferguson has made it clear he really wanted to keep Pogba, knowing his potential. Like we have said many times the reason it fell through was they turned down the offer and Pogba went to Juventus, with Fergie and Mino clashing along the way.

As much as I love Fergie it had nothing to do with him having some spidey sense that years down the line it would blow up in his face. I honestly don't get the way some fans try use Pogba leaving as a way to suggest Fergie knew something about him, just completely wrong.

It's gas. Fair enough if you don't like Pogba but it's nonsense to suggest that Fergie got rid of him, or wasn't too pushed on keeping him. Fergie was quite annoyed at the time of his departure.

Which is why I said I agreed with what ye said. However he said what he said about situation.

He wanted to keep him Yes
    He was annoyed and felt better off if that's the way he acted Yes.

He made the point in both

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Adamocovic wrote: »

This is common knowledge tbf. You'd only push the opposing view if you were biased somehow.

As far as Fergie being a great judgement of players? He signed some clangers lets not forget and said that Jones could be one of UTD greatest players ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

True, not sure what that has to do with Ravel Morrison though.

It was a light hearted comment in reply to the notion that Ferguson "smelt trouble" with Pogba, the point being that were that the case, something must have happened his sense of smell when it came to Morrisson, as clearly Morrisson is a far bigger trouble maker.

There was no digs at United/Ferguson/Pogba, just a light hearted, tongue in cheek comment. I'm not sure why you took exception to me over this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

LiamoSail wrote: »

There was no digs at United/Ferguson/Pogba, just a light hearted, tongue in cheek comment. I'm not sure why you took exception to me over this

I'd say he just doesn't like ya to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is common knowledge tbf. You'd only push the opposing view if you were biased somehow.

As far as Fergie being a great judgement of players? He signed some clangers lets not forget and said that Jones could be one of UTD greatest players ever.

But the common denominator is that Pogba couldn't work with SAF or Jose for whatever reasons. He had an opportunity to work with SAF and has had a chance to work with Jose Mourinho and neither manager saw the best of him. .I wouldn't say too many players can claim to of been incapable of working with such top class coaches. That is just the state of play on that and its quite an inditement of the player. He had the chance to work with both and couldn't make it work.

Raoila being difficult on Pogba's behalf means working with Pogba is difficult. I actually cannot understand how people think "but its his agent" makes any bit of difference to that . . He's working for Pogba and has Pogba's support so its no different to Pogba being a difficult player to manage on that level. If Raoila is putting a club under pressure to sell and constantly pushing for Pogba to move, then Pogba is a player who puts clubs under pressure and is a journeyman.

• I see Utds 'savior' Zidane is pretty much off the cards. He's off to Juve apparently. (Source French journalists at Le Parisien)

Wouldn't blame him, the job is tainted, and I suspect he is aware of the primary issues at board level.

Think that all but certainly gets it to Giggsy:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Zinedine Zidane has no interest in taking over at Manchester United. He dreams of a return to Juventus. (leparisien.fr)

Manchester United looking on the possibility of taking Andreas Granqvist on a short term loan in January. Helsingborgs IF wouldn't turn down a "big chance from abroad" (fotbolldirekt.se)

Breaking news, Antonio Conte and Beppe Marotta to be reunited at Manchester United (Corriere dello Sport)

LeDhdZV.png

Drumpot wrote: »
    But the common denominator is that Pogba couldn't work with SAF or Jose for whatever reasons. He had an opportunity to work with SAF and has had a chance to work with Jose Mourinho and neither manager saw the best of him. .I wouldn't say too many players can claim to of been incapable of working with such top class coaches. That is just the state of play on that and its quite an inditement of the player. He had the chance to work with both and couldn't make it work.

Raoila being difficult on Pogba's behalf means working with Pogba is difficult. I actually cannot understand how people think "but its his agent" makes any bit of difference to that . . He's working for Pogba and has Pogba's support so its no different to Pogba being a difficult player to manage on that level. If Raoila is putting a club under pressure to sell and constantly pushing for Pogba to move, then Pogba is a player who puts clubs under pressure and is a journeyman.

SAF wasn't giving Pogba the chance to work with him as kept him confined to the B team. Pogba wanted first team football, he would have happily worked in the first team with Fergie but Fergie said not yet knowing it was a risk, it was he who choose not to work with Pogba at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

SAF wasn't giving Pogba the chance to work with him as kept him confined to the B team. Pogba wanted first team football, he would have happily worked in the first team with Fergie but Fergie said not yet knowing it was a risk, it was he who choose not to work with Pogba at the time.

Didn’t it all break down when Fergie selected Rafael in midfield ahead of Pogba.....for a game in 2011 when most of our midfield were injured/ suspended?

Pogba was quoted as saying that’s when he decided to get away

We lost the game 3-2

Pogba didn't have to leave, but he chose to leave instead of working his way into the team. He chose to not work with the greatest manager United have ever had, you cant get away from that.

And SAF said his agent was a problem which makes Pogba a problem.

Net result is that Pogba had a chance to work with two of the best managers in modern football and neither coach saw the best of him. . Maybe Pogba just has one of those egos that cant take on board constructive criticism and needs the ego messaged and a hug . .

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Didn’t it all break down when Fergie selected Rafael in midfield ahead of Pogba.....for a game in 2011 when most of our midfield were injured/ suspended?

Pogba was quoted as saying that’s when he decided to get away

We lost the game 3-2

Pretty much. SAF said I'll work with this defender in MF instead of Pogba. Fergie was probably trying to set an example and it was one of the rare times it backfired on him. Then he was scrambling to try keep Pogba.

Pogba didn't have to leave, but he chose to leave instead of working his way into the team. He chose to not work with the greatest manager United have ever had, you cant get away from that.

Net result is that Pogba had a chance to work with two of the best managers in modern football and neither coach saw the best of him. . Maybe Pogba just has one of those egos that cant take on board constructive criticism and needs the ego messaged and a hug . .

SAF didn't have to bench him for a defender in MF and refuse to play him many other times either when we were crying out for MF talent but yet he did. He made the first move and it backfired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

What’s the crack with conte, was he sacked out of Chelsea cause of issues with hazard? I’d rather not be taking a risk on another manager who struggles to deal with moody/lazy but talented players.
    Would love if we could just find a young manager with an attacking style philosophy who also has decent people skills and didn’t piss the media off every second week. We can supply him with the best facilities and financial assistance he’ll ever get, some of the players aren’t half bad either so I’m sure it’s a pretty tempting job for a lot of managers

SAF didn't have to bench him for a defender in MF and refuse to play him many other times either when we were crying out for MF talent but yet he did. He made the first move and it backfired.

SAF doesn't have to explain himself to an 18 year old. It didn't backfire, Pogba didn't have the character to fight hard to get into the team. Just like Pogba wasn't interested in playing a more defensive role for the team last season when we needed him.

You guys are gas, making Pogba out to be a victim of everything. . Anything he doesn't respond well to , you jump to his defence and presume the problem is anything but him. Its obvious to most that when you have a player with so much drama surrounding them, its usually not because the universe is singling them out for the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yes pogba probably does want his ego massaged and a hug, if it means getting the best out of him, just like messi ronaldo neymar de bruyne and some of the best players in the world do, but jose has admitted in the past he is not good at managing players like that

SAF doesn't have to explain himself to an 18 year old. It didn't backfire, Pogba didn't have the character to fight hard to get into the team. Just like Pogba wasn't interested in playing a more defensive role for the team last season when we needed him.

You guys are gas, making Pogba out to be a victim of everything. . Anything he doesn't respond well to , you jump to his defence and presume the problem is anything but him. Its obvious to most that when you have a player with so much drama surrounding them, its usually not because the universe is singling them out for the attention.

Who asked SAF to explain himself? Many fans were upset the way the Pogba situation played out and thought SAF was wrong.

Which guys? I said Jose was right to strip him of VC after he publicly criticized him. Stop saying people said things they didn't.

Btw Pogba didn't fall out with Fergie, he just left and he was totally vindicated in his decision with what happened at Juve. Fergie got this one wrong but you just can't admit it.

As for Pogba falling out with Jose, it looks like many have fallen out or downed tools for him but you keep jumping to his defense. Here is a hint for you, if one or two players fall out with the manager and stop playing for him its the players fault. If the majority of the 11 have its the managers fault.

Valencia and jose barely on speaking terms. He was dropped for west ham game as he didnt attend the derby game...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

bangkok wrote: »
    Valencia and jose barely on speaking terms. He was dropped for west ham game as he didnt attend the derby game...

That's just the language barrier :P

• Advertisement

As for Pogba falling out with Jose, it looks like many have fallen out or downed tools for him but you keep jumping to his defense. Here is a hint for you, if one or two players fall out with the manager and stop playing for him its the players fault. If the majority of the 11 have its the managers fault.

The trend here is unavoidable.

I can't think of a single other manager at the top level who has fallen out with so many big players:

Pogba
    Hazard
    Mikhitarian
    Martial
    Costa
    Sergio Ramos
    Casillas

Added to this there are others, who, even if he didn’t have a full scale falling out, he still demeaned them by criticizing them publicly:

Shaw
    Pepe
    Bailly
    Joe Cole

And probably others too, but the list is just getting too long to remember them all......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote:

Valencia can barely speak English after 10+ years in England so it's understandable they barely speak

Imagine a club captain who can barely speak English and never does interviews. That's a massive image problem.

You'd imagine Charlton,Robson,Bruce,Keane,Vidic must be wondering how this guy is captain of the same club as they left with huge distinction

Who asked SAF to explain himself? Many fans were upset the way the Pogba situation played out and thought SAF was wrong.

Which guys? I said Jose was right to strip him of VC after he publicly criticized him. Stop saying people said things they didn't.

Btw Pogba didn't fall out with Fergie, he just left and he was totally vindicated in his decision with what happened at Juve. Fergie got this one wrong but you just can't admit it.

An 18 year old demanding more games from SAF , who does he think he is demanding or expecting anything when hes achieved nothing? Ferguson prob wanted to rightly put some manners on him. Its clear Pogbas ego cant handle "no".

Michael Carrick or Darren Fletcher were regularly asked to play CB and they did whatever the team needed. SAF regularly chose experienced players out of position to play in different areas. If he didn't pick Pogba to make a point, then Pogba simply didn't have the drive or character to work hard to prove the coach wrong.

He chose an easier path off to an easier league where any Juve player of the last 10 years has an impressive trophy haul. But that's the kind of character he is and Bangkok is right in that he needs managers to massage his ego. That's an underlying deficiency if you cant play well unless you get everything you want and need constant praise. .

Like I said, when there is so much drama surrounding one player, you can only come to one objective conclusion. That player is a difficult one to manage. Pogba's performances for United are not that of a world class player.

The trend here is unavoidable.

I can't think of a single other manager at the top level who has fallen out with so many big players:

Pogba
    Hazard
    Mikhitarian
    Martial
    Costa
    Sergio Ramos
    Casillas

Added to this there are others, who, even if he didn’t have a full scale falling out, he still demeaned them by criticizing them publicly:

Shaw
    Pepe
    Bailly
    Joe Cole

And probably others too, but the list is just getting too long to remember them all......

How could you forget about ronaldo :)

The trend here is unavoidable......

Agreed, no matter way you spin it there is always drama surrounding Pogba followed by excuses and reasons why its never his fault . .

brinty wrote: »
    Valencia can barely speak English after 10+ years in England so it's understandable they barely speak

Imagine a club captain who can barely speak English and never does interviews. That's a massive image problem.

You'd imagine Charlton,Robson,Bruce,Keane,Vidic must be wondering how this guy is captain of the same club as they left with huge distinction

Valencia can speak english. Just doesnt do interviews in english.

Also jose is fluent in spanish so im sure he did speak with valencia

How could you forget about ronaldo :)

Who won his first Spanish league title under Jose and was still able to perform to a world class level . . :pac:

An 18 year old demanding more games from SAF , who does he think he is demanding or expecting anything when hes achieved nothing? Ferguson prob wanted to rightly put some manners on him. Its clear Pogbas ego cant handle "no".

Michael Carrick or Darren Fletcher were regularly asked to play CB and they did whatever the team needed. SAF regularly chose experienced players out of position to play in different areas. If he didn't pick Pogba to make a point, then Pogba simply didn't have the drive or character to work hard to prove the coach wrong.

He chose an easier path off to an easier league where any Juve player of the last 10 years has an impressive trophy haul. But that's the kind of character he is and Bangkok is right in that he needs managers to massage his ego. That's an underlying deficiency if you cant play well unless you get everything you want and need constant praise. .

Like I said, when there is so much drama surrounding one player, you can only come to one objective conclusion. That player is a difficult one to manage. Pogba's performances for United are not that of a world class player.

Majority of best players need their egos massaged. Pogba is no different.

Fergie massaged and indulged cantona ronaldo and the likes and the results on field were there for all to see

• Phase 15 of 'Operation Unlock Pogba': Hire a dedicated masseuse

• Advertisement

Fergie massaged and indulged cantona ronaldo and the likes and the results on field were there for all to see

Pogba is nowhere near Ronaldos level , but I am glad you mentioned them both in the same breath. . Both with massive egos , but one backs it up on the pitch and doesn't need to make excuses for under performance.

You say Jose fell out with Ronaldo. Well Ronaldo didn't let that stop him performing under Jose like Pogba has done:

- 2011 - 53 goals - 18 assists
    - 2012 - 60 goals - 15 assists
    - 2013 - 55 goals - 13 assist

Ronaldo is a world class player in every sense of the word. His ego works in his favour because he strives to be better and to win no matter whats going on. Its also ironic that Ronaldo also flourished under SAF and Jose which is exactly the opposite for Pogba. .

Pogba's ego looks for excuses, underperforms and effectively makes him an average player until the conditions change to help him flourish . .

Pogba is no where new the level of Ronaldo or Cantona for us

The fight against jose hyperbole will continue, your problem is if everything isnt joses fault its wrong , you dont even have to be a jose fan and you would end up defending him here as the level of nonsense posted from the haters warranted it. It was sad so many seemimgly couldn't wait to see him fail but if people had tempered thier criticism of him here properly it might have lead to better discussion .

Just cause people have seen what looks like the begining of the end doesnt mean they downed tools defending against hyperbole like you post again heck some of us still hope he turns it around id say not many jose hating united "supporters" can say that

Pogba is nowhere near Ronaldos level , but I am glad you mentioned them both in the same breath. . Both with massive egos , but one backs it up on the pitch and doesn't need to make excuses for under performance.

You say Jose fell out with Ronaldo. Well Ronaldo didn't let that stop him performing under Jose like Pogba has done:

- 2011 - 53 goals - 18 assists
    - 2012 - 60 goals - 15 assists
    - 2013 - 55 goals - 13 assist

Ronaldo is a world class player in every sense of the word. His ego works in his favour because he strives to be better and to win no matter whats going on. Its also ironic that Ronaldo also flourished under SAF and Jose which is exactly the opposite for Pogba. .

Pogba's ego looks for excuses, underperforms and effectively makes him an average player until the conditions change to help him flourish . .

Ronaldo is probably the greatest player in history so an unfair comparison and is a goal machine so pointless throwing up goal stats in comparison to a midfield player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

how.gareth wrote: »
    What’s the crack with conte, was he sacked out of Chelsea cause of issues with hazard? I’d rather not be taking a risk on another manager who struggles to deal with moody/lazy but talented players.
    Would love if we could just find a young manager with an attacking style philosophy who also has decent people skills and didn’t piss the media off every second week. We can supply him with the best facilities and financial assistance he’ll ever get, some of the players aren’t half bad either so I’m sure it’s a pretty tempting job for a lot of managers

you are describing Eddie Howe and Julian Nagelsmann

Ronaldo is probably the greatest player in history so an unfair comparison and is a goal machine so pointless throwing up goal stats in comparison to a midfield player

Throwing up pogbas goal scoring stats are probably the only ones that make him look anyway good from a midfield standpoint

• Advertisement

• bangkok wrote: »

Comical, and another prime example of the same thing yet again

You brought Ronaldo into the debate

Here's the usual gif as it applies here

giphy.gif

Agreed, no matter way you spin it there is always drama surrounding Pogba followed by excuses and reasons why its never his fault . .

Only the other day jose said no player trained better than him during the week, its not pogbas fault jose decides to go ultra defensive v west ham and play mctominay cb

Comical, and another prime example of the same thing yet again

You brought Ronaldo into the debiate

Here's the usual gif as it applies here

giphy.gif

Pathetic gif as usual.

I was saying pointless comparing stats. Ronaldo is a striker pogba a midfielder

• bangkok wrote: »
    Pathetic gif as usual.

I was saying pointless comparing stats. Ronaldo is a striker pogba a midfielder

This is what you said. I will just leave it here so it's clear as day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/LiamPaulCanning/status/1046798153947725824

"Team sprints from the games at the weekend. Manchester United? Bottom place with only 59. Dreadful."
    Even Newcastle who are dire this season had 106.
    A shower of lazy cnuts who stroll around the pitch. At one stage,Jose was roaring at them to move and he was ignored.

• Advertisement

Only the other day jose said no player trained better than him during the week, its not pogbas fault jose decides to go ultra defensive v west ham and play mctominay cb

tumblr_owxitcmhBH1uzbtmpo3_640.gif

"Team sprints from the games at the weekend. Manchester United? Bottom place with only 59. Dreadful."
    A shower of lazy cnuts who stroll around the pitch. At one stage,Jose was roaring at them to move and he was ignored.

I know stats don't always tell whole story, but it shows here the attitude of the players.

It's disappointing really that the certain players who earn Savage money can't be arsed to at least put in a shift for 90 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba is no where new the level of Ronaldo or Cantona for us

Or giggsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I know stats don't always tell whole story, but it shows here the attitude of the players.

It's disappointing really that the certain players who earn Savage money can't be arsed to at least put in a shift for 90 minutes

As the saying goes, "if there was work in the bed, they'd sleep on the floor".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Your 10th at the minute. Conceeded 40% of your league total goals from 17/18 in 7 games.
    You've lost and been outplayed by West Ham and Derby in the last week. Lost to Brighton and Spurs a long the way as well.
    The team doesn't like like it knows how to play as a unit. Struggling in front of goal, giving up plenty of chances to opposition. Record fee transfers playing poorly, your manager is fighting with everyone.

I'd be more worried about United than Liverpool if I was you as it only looks like United are going to slide further down the table before it gets better.

Im actually six at the minute, I dont know if Marseille have ever played Derby or West Ham never mind Brighton. We probably have played Spurs
    Our record transfer fees is playing well. Our second most expensive player is just in the door but looks promising
    I didnt know Rudi Garcia was fighting with people, thanks for the update :rolleyes:
    Im not sure why you are worried about United, i personally dont care either way about them. I would be surprised if Liverpool finish ahead of them tbh
    And my point is still valid, Liverpool are Arsenal mk 2

tumblr_owxitcmhBH1uzbtmpo3_640.gif

So you saying jose is a bull****ter? Why is he even picking pogba so? Why didnt he drop him from squad?

You just totally ignore the other point about mctominay and then post a gif to please the lads. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or giggsy

Is there anything to be said for giving Giggsy a chance?

A convenient misrepresentation.
    There's nothing new here.

I remember seeing similar stats last December for the season up to that point
    We were 2nd in the PL - but were 20th in the distance covered table.

This stat from Saturday proves nothing.

It has as much to do with the manager's conservative approach and reluctance to press the opposition as anything else.

So you saying jose is a bull****ter? Why is he even picking pogba so? Why didnt he drop him from squad?

You just totally ignore the other point about mctominay and then post a gif to please the lads. Well done

You bring up Ronaldo and Cantona in a discussion about Pogba. And then when a point doesn’t suit you , you say it’s an unfair comparison. You don’t address anything that actually challenges your view so sometimes a GIF can express more then I can say....

A convenient misrepresentation.
    There's nothing new here.

I remember seeing similar stats last December for the season up to that point
    We were 2nd in the PL - but were 20th in the distance covered table.

This stat from Saturday proves nothing.

It has as much to do with the manager's conservative approach and reluctance to press the opposition as anything else.

Unless we have numbers from a number of weeks you cant say either way but i doubt we were 20th every week or it would already be news so it looks bad from the players

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement