Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

BenK wrote: »
    Don't think anyone actually thinks that or said they think that. He's a young, relatively untested player at the required level, simple as that. That he's regarded as having a lot of potential is great- he could be the next Cafu, but just as easily he could be the next Luke Shaw...

Sorry for being positive at the start of the new thread aka "the positivity thread"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Madda k had a really bad article lately didn't he? Either it was demonstrably BS or racist.... Can't remember which.

Edit: I'm wrong. Thinking of someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

astradave wrote: »

I think it makes sense as long as no other club is in for him. Lose 15M + a years wages on a player who doesn't want to be there. If a second club came in it could drive the price up but if he's saying he wants Utd and Utd are offering only 40M it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

bangkok wrote: »
    Sorry for being positive at the start of the new thread aka "the positivity thread"

:)

I wasn't knocking you for being positive, no harm in that at all!

I think it makes sense as long as no other club is in for him. Lose 15M + a years wages on a player who doesn't want to be there. If a second club came in it could drive the price up but if he's saying he wants Utd and Utd are offering only 40M it makes sense
    Theyve not bought a replacement though, and don't look to be. Surely they'd be looking for a replacement backup if they were minded to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Not that's it's especially looking like it's going to happen or anything but would people be satisfied with United's transfer business if Toby was signed?

Personally I think it would be a reasonable window, far from great but not a total disaster either.

A left back and right winger are needed but at least a couple of crucial areas of the first team would have been addressed...

BenK wrote: »
    Not that's it's especially looking like it's going to happen or anything but would people be satisfied with United's transfer business if Toby was signed?

Personally I think it would be a reasonable window, far from great but not a total disaster either.

A left back and right winger are needed but at least a couple of crucial areas of the first team would have been addressed...

No. Our attack issues and the lack of proper width would not have been addresses by either signing a top full back or winger. Which means another season of predictably congested matches, cause everything must come from central areas.

Also means we will continue to under utilise Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Right now I think

Pros:

Pogba has had a world cup winning summer so we should be looking for that to kick him on. I don't think the amount of criticism he gets at times is fair but he definitely has room to improve.

Sanchez simply has to be better than he was from January. A full summer resting and hopefully decent game management will see him fresh for the season. Looked good in bits on pre season.

Pereira could be the real breakout player in the league this season. I think the lad has almost everything in his locker. Very excited to see how he gets on.

Still have the best Goalkeeper in the league (probably world). Now it looks like Real will get Courtois which in turn should officially end their interest in ever signing De Gea. A massive win for the club.

Lukaku looks like a player who is getting better and better each season. Seems like a guy who loves learning and improving. I expect an even better season from him.

Rashford being handed the number 10 shirt has to be a sign of faith in him. Another player who I expect to have an even better season.

Fred looks an excellent singing. Often our midfield was slow and ponderous and he looks like the perfect type of player to improve that side. Should take some of the creative burden off Pogba along with Pereira.

Cons:

Fullbacks. Both sides. It's not great at all. Valencia is solid but has forgotten how to cross a ball so offers no threat. Young is always going to favour the cut back onto his right foot. Shaw who I've wanted to take his chance now for so long is starting to look like he never will.
    If we had top quality full backs Lukaku would get another 10 a season from quality delivery.

Also for center back I wish Bailly could stay fit. Him and Lindelof could have a great partnership but they need to be on the pitch together for that to happen. Sadly when Bailly inevitably gets injured we're down to Smalling and Jones. Who will always be a level below what our starting center backs should be.

Martial looks like he's heading out the door which is a massive shame because there's an unbelievable player in there and I fear we'll regret this move quickly.

There needed to be a right sided attacker added this summer along with a back up for Lukaku. None of those look like happening.

All in all I think we're heading for a very similar season to last. 3 months ago I thought we'd be in a much stronger position than we have ended up at the end of this window which is disappointing to say the least.

It's not impossible that City drop down a level or 2 this season. It's very difficult to keep a high standard like that up. That's our best shot at the league now I feel because we simply haven't done enough to close the gap to what they were last season.

Still roll on Friday, I'm looking forward to seeing how we set up and to see Fred and Pereira hopefully get starts. Should he beating Leicester at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No. Our attack issues and the lack of proper width would not have been addresses by either signing a top full back or winger. Which means another season of predictably congested matches, cause everything must come from central areas.

Also means we will continue to under utilise Lukaku.

While I agree, I am now looking at why that approach was not taken.

I think (maybe) a traditional idea of a wide player would not solve the problems on their own. I still think midfield is what was letting United down most in that it could not protect defence and free up attackers enough in games United are favourites. Herrera awful, Felliani injured, Pogba lost in a two man and McTominay really basic.

Putting a game together v a City or Liverpool is easy. Winning is not but an approach to the game is easier at times as if things are going well you can carry in a positive set up or when doubts exist, you can rely on stopping.

For the new season, I hope and expect more from the current team (now Fred is on board) when United are the ones playing a team focused first on stopping.

Pogba for example can now move towards the left and get ahead of the ball to become a greater attacking threat in a home game v a Burnley (for example). Lukaku can hopefully move around and make pockets of space for Sanchez to drift into. Maybe Rashford or Lingard can take up better positions closer to Big Rom to get more link play with the trio of Fred, Pogba and Matic.

Midfield is key imo, even more for a Jose side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pogba desperate to leave according to Chris Wheeler of the mail. Feel it's a gigantic 40 or so hours for the club.

We'll be hearing the Pogba ****e until the end of August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

New thread gets like, a couple of posts in with a new sense of hope but quickly descends back to

HL7u.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Theyve not bought a replacement though, and don't look to be. Surely they'd be looking for a replacement backup if they were minded to sell.

He hardly played last year anyway so I'm not sure if it's that big a gamble for him. Anyway I'm on a positivity buzz here. Back to work today after nearly 3 weeks off and now I'm off for another week. Choo Choo

Who's David Maddock, ah Dave not again.....

888.jpg

He's the lad that ran off with that young wan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tottenham signed Alderweireld's replacement last year - Davinson Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Pogba ; "gimme an extra 200k a week or I'm off to Barcelona"
    United board ; "demonstrate to us what you have done to warrant such a collosal wage increase."
    Pogba;".......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I dyed part of my hair red a couple of times ".

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Seems to be a bit of chatter with regards to arsenal going for dembele on season loan with a view to permanent. Would be a handy option for united but the whole pogba ****e is likely to play a factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/10JoseAlvarez/status/1026980357105704961

Every base covered in a couple of tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Every base covered in a couple of tweets.

I assume that guy was in the meeting with them? Must of been to know what was said.

Lets be realistic before the media start to make something out of nothing, Pogba aint going to be playing Friday night and it wont be due to him refusing to play.

He could of done a courtois and not turn up for training but he has returned.

Edit: I can't stop laughing at he won't play but he will play. Twitter Spoofers are gas these days. (refuse to call them journalists)

• Advertisement

In the aftermath of the Bayern game...

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/jose-mourinho-hopeful-man-united-world-cup-stars-can-be-fit-for-leicester-game?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter
    Jose Mourinho suggested at least one of Ashley Young, Jesse Lingard, Marouane Fellaini, Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku will feature against the Foxes under the lights at Old Trafford.

a.k.a......

1EQdJNM.jpg

Yesterday at Carrington...

9AkhgLU.jpg?1

It's been an underwhelming transfer window, but getting a new contract sorted with Fellaini was an important piece of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

We have just 2 more days to sign players, lot of reports till on Mina too. Hopefully we will sign Toby and one more attacker.

This window has been shambles, started so well with signing Fred and Dalot. We don't have any right wingers and Jose wants ball playing CB as priority and we haven't sign any.

Think Martial will play as right winger. Should have tried Sanchez in preseason games.

I always said we have good enough team to compete, but also feel bit bad for Jose. We should have been more aggressive in the market.

• In the aftermath of the Bayern game...

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/jose-mourinho-hopeful-man-united-world-cup-stars-can-be-fit-for-leicester-game?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

Yesterday at Carrington...

9AkhgLU.jpg?1

It's been an underwhelming transfer window, but getting a new contract sorted with Fellaini was an important piece of business.

Ya forgot this one Stu!

https://twitter.com/Sacha_whp/status/1026900877708349441?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I miss M!Ck^ and yermandan thanking all of our posts

I'm actually starting to feel a bit more optimistic now that most of our WC players are back in training, Pogba especially. No, they'll hardly feature against Leicester and might only get substitute minutes against Brighton, but we'll see.

Ultimately at this stage, it would be ideal to have Pogba and Lukaku back in the 11 and settled for the Spurs game on the 27th.

That said, these returning WC players could be ready sooner than we think. How long does a player who only played highly competitive football 3 weeks ago need to regain fitness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thankfully spurs were as badly affected by us if not worse, we need to hit the ground running first two games.

No more player signings but another sponsorship announced. Easy to see where the club prioritises work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thankfully spurs were as badly affected by us if not worse, we need to hit the ground running first two games.

Some will be grateful Spurs seem to have started alienating their manager just as Jose also enters into a tumultuous period :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Pogba situation really a worry and problem now, Can see Mourinho losing the dressing room before xmas. Its obvious they dont get on and is a real **** up starting off a league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Spurs are in that situation like arsenal to pay for the stadium now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Robson99 wrote: »
    Pogba situation really a worry and problem now, Can see Mourinho losing the dressing room before xmas. Its obvious they dont get on and is a real **** up starting off a league

Has there been anything to suggest they don't get on,anything concrete or just speculation from people who don't have a clue?

Was it the Liverpool game where Pogba went over and hugged Mourinho during his interview, while at that time people were saying they didn't get on.

No more player signings but another sponsorship announced. Easy to see where the club prioritises work.

No more? Who told you that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Stone] My understanding Paul Pogba has not been asking for more money from @ManUtd on the back of Alexis Sanchez. Club stance remains as it was, no intention of selling. (Tier 1 on r/reddevils)

Sure, it's not as if there are others who is in charge or marketing and clearly Manutd had the option to choose only 1 out of transfers or sponsorship.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Sure, it's not as if there are others who is in charge or marketing and clearly Manutd had the option to choose only 1 out of transfers or sponsorship.

But United being a commercial juggernaut is credited to Woodward. So either he is driving it and deserves that credit or he isn't and doesn't.

bangkok wrote: »
    No more? Who told you that

We've not signed anymore players, but announced two new sponsorships. Maybe we will sign a player in yjr next 31 hours but do far we haven't so the statement of 'no more' signings us accurate of the current state and no a forever statement.

But United being a commercial juggernaut is credited to Woodward. So either he is driving it and deserves that credit or he isn't and doesn't.

He was, now he isn't.

He was, now he isn't.

So now he doesn't deserve credit for the area of the club that is actually a complete success. Cool. Wtf is he doing then? Not getting the players the manager wants and not doing the commercials either.

• Advertisement

• Robson99 wrote: »

No it's not. It's only a worry if you believe every bit of bull**** on Twitter

So now he doesn't deserve credit for the area of the club that is actually a complete success. Cool. Wtf is he doing then? Not getting the players the manager wants and not doing the commercials either.

Yeah because both have dependency on each other. Is it time of the month?

Moaning because 1 more sponsorship deal is signed ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    [Stone] My understanding Paul Pogba has not been asking for more money from @ManUtd on the back of Alexis Sanchez. Club stance remains as it was, no intention of selling. (Tier 1 on r/reddevils)

I’m not sure what the club should do IF Pogba is looking for that move. From the teams perspective he hardly looked like he was digging deep to help us out last season so I’m not sure he could summon the drive to put in a shift this season if his heart is not in it. I wonder how teammates feel playing with a player who is happy to screw up their chances of success cause they aren’t getting what they want!!!

However the club could do a ronaldo and ask him to stay one more season and agree to sell if he gives it his all?! Pogba doesn’t come across as a patient player (like with SAF)though so I’m not sure that would work.

If the reports are true think I would rather the club just squeezes every penny out of a Barca move so we can move on. I think the team would do ok particularly if the move brought players and manager closer together.

To be honest if he did want a pay rise, while he doesn’t deserve it in anyway, I would give him a bump and extend his contract. Might get something out of him this season and could get more for him if we need to sell.

Yeah because both have dependency on each other. Is it time of the month?

Moaning because 1 more sponsorship deal is signed ffs.

So he isn't running the commercials or seeing United go from strength to strength on the pitch - what do you think our CEO should be getting credit for?

If he's not responsible for commercials but for the football side then he is failing at his job more so than I'd have thought.

Nice to see some sexism thrown in for insult too. Well done.

Unsuccessful touch and first touch are totally different.

The above 4 all like to dribble with the ball hence the unsuccessful touch

Boateng to united off

• Advertisement

So he isn't running the commercials or seeing United go from strength to strength on the pitch - what do you think our CEO should be getting credit for?

If he's not responsible for commercials but for the football side then he is failing at his job more so than I'd have thought.

Nice to see some sexism thrown in for insult too. Well done.

Sexism? ffs, calm down. No wonder PC brigade is too strong.

How is signing some sponsorship deal means Woodward is not working on transfers? How do you nothing is going on behind the scenes? Do you think Woodward will be reaching out to sponsors, then talk to other clubs for transfers? At this rate, I won't be surprised if you think Woodward also mops the floor and cleans the toilet (again not sexism incase you want to start with your faux outrage).
    Woodward was succeeded by Richard Arnold as the club's commercial management director

So calm down whenever we sign any sponsorship deals.

If you want to ask what Woodward is doing
    +44 161 868 8000
    enquiries@manutd.co.uk

Feel free to drop mail as no one here knows what Woodward does.

Feel free to drop mail as no one here knows what Woodward does.

But we'll defend him to the death! Allez woody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Richard Arnold is doing some job bringing in those sponsorships isn’t he lads!! :D

Richard Arnold is doing some job bringing in those sponsorships isn’t he lads!! :D

Yep, if only woody could capitalise.

But we'll defend him to the death! Allez woody!

Defend from what? When someone is crying because we signed sponsorship deals, it's easy to point out that we don't have to choose between the 2 and there are dedicated teams for commercial deals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement