Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. Especially if Poch is having issues at Spurs.

Stories will write themselves, anyways. Jornos will be thrilled.

Given this window I'm not sure Poch would want to go from one club who struggles in transfer windows to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

bangkok wrote: »
    Do you ever consider

A) the player doesnt want to join

What player should not want to join the biggest club in the world? WE have the fans, the stadium. CL, EPL, the money. So the question needs to be asked why they would prefer somewhere else.
    B) the club dont want to sell the player

This is very true. Nothing that we can do really. I know that when RM or Barca get told the player is not for sale they simply accept it and move on. Doesn't always work of course, but quite a lot of times it does.

Following United since was kid but I get very little enjoyment out of supporting this club last few years.

Even if the football was good I'd be happy but no everything is wrong everything is negative.

Football itself has lost a lot of its excitement and joy it's just flash money and business now not about enjoying the actual game anymore.

Ah well least I have Dublin in the gaa!

Yes, but the club are happy to have those expectations as it enables them to drive revenue.

You can't remove one from the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Two things (since I'm usually the one to do it....)

1. I tend to just straight copy/paste things. If I'm on mobile, it's quicker and handier to just copy/paste like that. So if the title of threads has "Tier Blah" in it, I tend to just paste that in too.

2. Not everyone knows every journalist, nor the credibility of every paper. Which includes me. I know the United ones, but not a clue about others. So when I see a random guy I don't know posting Spurs news, and Spurs fans say he's Tier X, then I feel it doesn't hurt to facilitate discussion here by offering some sort of context to the quotes.

I get the reasoning behind it, I just also think the need for it is far greater in on a site like Reddit than it is here.

It can also have the unintended consequences of framing a discussion and placing boundaries on a conversation before it even begins however. Not to mention it inevitably being used to back up a point or a stance "but X is a Tier 1 for Y club's news so of course it's more founded than your point" etc etc.

In reality it's just a random system that was decided upon by varying groups of people (i.e. what is Tier 1 to one small subsection of a club's fans is completely different to what is Tier 1 to another club's) no more in the know than anyone here (or the people they're categorising).

We know journalists that may have at one point appeared to have an inside track suddenly lose it for what could be a myriad of reasons like losing their source, their source dictating they want to put out a false narrative, having an agenda, never having had one in the first place etc etc. But we're never any the wiser anyway and they don't stop publishing.

At the end of the day we know that anything we don't hear from the horse's mouth is most likely unfounded crap, but we still go along with it because it entertains us.

None of this is specifically directed at you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Yeah. Especially if Poch is having issues at Spurs.

Stories will write themselves, anyways. Jornos will be thrilled.

Don't think we will sign Poch, they wanted this contract to be paid in full which was around 40 million.

ManUtd have spent big in last 4 seasons but this time we haven't, even though there are so many good players who went for decent fee.

Also Jose when board doesn't back him completely is a pain in ass, there will be no middle ground. We will either have superb season or a very poor one. Jose is at his best and also worst with his seize mentality, sometimes it works great when everyone buys it and goes all out to win, sometimes it backfires like at Madrid and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What player should not want to join the biggest club in the world? WE have the fans, the stadium. CL, EPL, the money. So the question needs to be asked why they would prefer somewhere else.

If rumours are true Boetang, that's one player out of numerous players that do not want to come and play for Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

This is very true. Nothing that we can do really. I know that when RM or Barca get told the player is not for sale they simply accept it and move on. Doesn't always work of course, but quite a lot of times it does.

A)

family reasons

the likes of hazard who preferred to live in london

Sandro at juventus might want to have stayed after they signed ronaldo and bonucci

Ronaldinho who chose barca over us

B)

Madrid wanted de gea, we wouldnt sell

We wanted Bale, he nor madrid wanted the move

Nothing you can do if club wont sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yes, but the club are happy to have those expectations as it enables them to drive revenue.

You can't remove one from the other.

Where not a football force on the pitch anymore its all off the pitch.

Where top at making money that's all and for me that's not good enough I don't care about that.

We used to be a club that cared about both on and off the pitch we had people at the club who cared about the football legacy and winning trophy s playing good football.

Finishing top four and keeping the board in money is a successful season now.

Im really not looking forward to this season if I didn't love this game and enjoy watching it and being part of it I'd of given up on it by now cause the enjoyment is less and less every year.

If pep was in charge of our team this year and jose took over city, who would ye think wins the title?

Id fancy us to win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you ever consider

Its not just all black and white, we want a player so he should sign early

Its not that its not possible a player didn't want to join united or a club didn't want to sell. That is definitely a possibility but its a question of what is more likely. I actually don't believe top clubs bid on players they haven't already gotten some indication that they would be amenable to the move whether through agent or talking with the player on some level.

I think every player has a price that a club will sell if given the right price. I think most, if not all players at this stage, are primarily incentivised by money and success. I cant imagine there are many players who would take significantly lower wages for guaranteed success, but again its not improbable. But united cant offer guaranteed success so would have to offer top quality players more until we get to that level again.

So we have to ask, is the issue more likely that
    - united cant get the players they want because of factors outside of their control (players/clubs not wanting to move)
    or
    - the club is deciding on the value on a player which is either delaying the transfer or stopping the move?

I am not panicked by the transfer situation and am quite optimistic about the season. But I don't believe for a second that the club was unable to get who they wanted this summer mainly because the players/clubs didn't want the move to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Do you ever consider

Its not just all black and white, we want a player so he should sign early
    Funny how you have gone from Toby and Sandro being done deals to the clubs not wanting to sell and the players not wanting to join.

Is it cause there could possible be criticism of Woodward otherwise? I think so.

If these last few years have thought us anything, it might actually get rid of any Glory hunting, Premier league spoilt fans that all teams usually pick up.

That's one positive to take from the last few seasons LOL

Try supporting a team in the 80's and going to school listening to scouse fans going on about how great they were, when a great FA cup run was the best thing since sliced bread and finishing mid table was the norm :D haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If rumours are true Boetang, that's one player out of numerous players that do not want to come and play for Utd

It's handy he did so after stories came out that we refused to meet Bayern valuation by half.

If these last few years have thought us anything, it might actually get rid of any Glory hunting, Premier league spoilt fans that all teams usually pick up.

That's one positive to take from the last few seasons LOL

Try supporting a team in the 80's and going to school listening to scouse fans going on about how great they were, when a great FA cup run was the best thing since sliced bread and finishing mid table was the norm :D haha

Of course, but our sustained success and financial strength means that we shouldn't have to go back to those days.

We should be the RM/Barca or BM of the EPL.

We should be such a draw that we can basically pick any English player that we fancy. Imagine Maguire choosing to stay in Leicster rather than coming to MU? When the big teams comes knocking players find a way to move.

Of course I don't believe everything I read in the papers, and most of the time stories are clickbait, but when the manager is coming out bemoaning the lack of transfers then it starts to stack up that at least some of the stories have truth in them.

It a sign of how far we have fallen that is the real issue, not whether we sign any individual player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why should the club be held accountable because of what you think?

Who told you we where going to sign Sandro? Twitter accounts and red tops?

We came second last year. We have more or less have the same team.

It's your own expectations that have got you disappointed.

The club have disappointed me by not signing players in positions we needed. Whether that was Sandro (who seemed likely) or someone else.

Yeah, finished second, not first. Abs have not addressed reasons for that. But sure we should be happy aiming to be second.

• Advertisement

The club have disappointed me by not signing players in positions we needed. Whether that was Sandro (who seemed likely) or someone else.

Yeah, finished second, not first. Abs have not addressed reasons for that. But sure we should be happy aiming to be second.

And the one thing that very noticeable is the lack of demands for 1st. SAF would be out talking about taking back our title, City got lucky etc etc. Supporters would be bigging us up, tauting the rival fans. But I would find it hard to find any supporter of MU that thinks that we have a realistic shot at the title, unless something strange happens

But instead we have talks of consolidation, a tough first few weeks etc

It's handy he did so after stories came out that we refused to meet Bayern valuation by half.

Heard it was a loan deal originally with option to buy

Was not too pleased to hear we were linked with him, think Toby at Spurs is the way to go as he seems more reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Might follow the women's team instead.

Technically they've got about 20 new signings. That's exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Well you said the club was only aiming for a top four. Now your saying the club is happy with second.

Man City where light years ahead of everyone last year. I'm sorry you expect Man United to win the league every year., that just isn't realistic anymore. Lower your expectations to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

If rumours are true Boetang, that's one player out of numerous players that do not want to come and play for Utd Mourinho

IMHO that is a more accurate statement.

Funny how you have gone from Toby and Sandro being done deals to the clubs not wanting to sell and the players not wanting to join.

Is it cause there could possible be criticism of Woodward otherwise? I think so.

I think toby will sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

27hours to go

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think all would agree a plan is needed with regards to recruitment. I think most would agree there isnt one currently, with the exception of snapping up big names who are attractive to sponsors.

Any players that come in by the end of tomorrow are likely to be panic buys. By now we'd probably have to seriously cave in on pricing to get anyone in, which seems to be what the club are trying to avoid. Chances are no one will come, so despite his annoyance Jose is going to have to find a way to make his existing group better.

I doubt he will personally, but would hope to see a team with at least a bit more personality and game plan. If this isnt the season to win, at least take some steps towards it.

astradave wrote: »
    27hours to go

tenor.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5496516

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

JaMarcus wrote: »

2013-14 we spent 63 million (37 Million on Mata and 27 Million on Fellaini)

That guy also excluded 2017-18 (won europa league in 2016-17 and qualified for CL) where we spent nearly 140 million plus Sanchez.

Drumpot wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=5496516

Tell ya something, you have some weird feckin gifs! That and the one you posted of the shît :D

• Threads a train wreck hah

• Sky sports making sure they get those bets rolling in

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/1027179600407875584?s=19

IMHO that is a more accurate statement.

Face facts Utd are not the massive team that everyone wants to join anymore, don't think its fully down to the manager although it does help if a player wants to play for a particular manager.

Utd have been passed by City, Pool, and to some extent Chelski. The club is not a massive draw for a player anymore. Sure look at players signing for City knowing they have fook all chance of first team football but know they will earn a sh!t load of cash and may win a title or 2

• Advertisement

Tell ya something, you have some weird feckin gifs! That and the one you posted of the shît :D

Ha, I had forgotten about that pic!

I’m actually generally just looking to have a laugh most of the time.

There’s something about this thread that brings out the worst in me!!

Ha, I had forgotten about that pic!

I’m actually generally just looking to have a laugh most of the time.

There’s something about this thread that brings out the worst in me!!

That’s great, just never EVER post that gif again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Threads a train wreck hah

Positivity train didn't even get out of the station before it was burnt to a crisp and reduced to ashes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Positivity train didn't even get out of the station before it was burnt to a crisp and reduced to ashes.

No!

All aboard!

giphy.gif

That’s great, just never EVER post that gif again :pac:

I really liked that Gif . . :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No!

All aboard!

giphy.gif

The transfer Tractor stalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Face facts Utd are not the massive team that everyone wants to join anymore, don't think its fully down to the manager although it does help if a player wants to play for a particular manager.

Utd have been passed by City, Pool, and to some extent Chelski. The club is not a massive draw for a player anymore. Sure look at players signing for City knowing they have fook all chance of first team football but know they will earn a sh!t load of cash and may win a title or 2

Haha how have United been passed by Liverpool? Stop that nonsense. City are better now but it's from throwing money at everything for years while United were resting on their laurels. United are the 2nd best team/squad in the league at the moment. People writing anything off before a ball has been kicked are really annoying me this season. Especially since it seems to be mainly smug Liverpool fans acting like it's their manager who has won multiple European trophies in the past.

Pure nonsense

• Advertisement

Sky sports making sure they get those bets rolling in

https://twitter.com/Devils_Latest/status/1027179600407875584?s=19

Just for the record Sky don't actually own SkyBet, strange as that sounds.

Liam O wrote: »
    City are better now but it's from throwing money at everything for years while United were resting on their laurels. .

A sad but accurate depiction of what happened at City

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Why should the club be held accountable because of what you think?

Who told you we where going to sign Sandro? Twitter accounts and red tops?

We came second last year. We have more or less have the same team.

It's your own expectations that have got you disappointed.

Great post. People judging the board and Woodward all summer based on their own expectations and what they assume Mourinho wants.

Liam O wrote: »
    Haha how have United been passed by Liverpool? Stop that nonsense. City are better now but it's from throwing money at everything for years while United were resting on their laurels. United are the 2nd best team/squad in the league at the moment. People writing anything off before a ball has been kicked are really annoying me this season. Especially since it seems to be mainly smug Liverpool fans acting like it's their manager who has won multiple European trophies in the past.

Ok ok, maybe not Pool, but trying to keep them happy as we all know they read this thread as they are obsessed with us :D

Im not writing anything off, just being realistic with what we have at the club today.

Listen I want us to win as many trophies as the next fan but everyone needs to open their eyes and see that we have simply not rebuilt the squad

Great post. People judging the board and Woodward all summer based on their own expectations and what they assume Mourinho wants.

As opposed to people presuming the owners/Woodward have no responsibility for the state of the club and that any serious issues at the club are none of their doing ?. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DM_7 wrote: »
    The transfer Tractor stalled.

The club has an official tractor sponsor. ;)

• Advertisement

As opposed to people presuming the owners/Woodward have no responsibility for the state of the club and that any serious issues at the club are none of their doing ?. .

State of the club?? Ah here, probably the best run club in world football

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I don't think anyone is presuming that.

I wouldn't consider not having exciting full backs as "serious issues" either.

State of the club?? Ah here, probably the best run club in world football

From a marketing perspective. Asides from throwing less money then our nearest rivals at signings, how do you come to that conclusion ?

A cohesive long term club strategy on field ? Clear identifiable signings for a clear identifiable club ethos ?

I know what City's plans are and what sort of football they want to play. What are Uniteds long term plans for the squad/team ? How does Jose fit into that plan ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The club has an official tractor sponsor. ;)

Need an official mechanic or at least road side assistance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭thetimeisnow

This is the team that should be playing and it should be hammering teams. We seem to have forgotten Sanchez played on the right for Barca and Udinese 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]               Dea Gea[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Valencia-Bailly-Lindelof-Shaw[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]      Fred  Matic  Pogba[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]  Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial [/font]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement