Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018/2019 [Mod note 31-Aug-18]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This is the team that should be playing and it should be hammering teams. We seem to have forgotten Sanchez played on the right for Barca and Udinese 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]               Dea Gea[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Valencia-Bailly-Lindelof-Shaw[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]     [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]      Fred  Matic  Pogba[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]  Sanchez-Lukaku-Martial [/font]

Guardiola would win the league with that front six.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well you said the club was only aiming for a top four. Now your saying the club is happy with second.

Man City where light years ahead of everyone last year. I'm sorry you expect Man United to win the league every year., that just isn't realistic anymore. Lower your expectations to reality.
    FFS, be happy with not aiming to win the league? Nah, I think I'll continue to expect united to be aiming to be the best. And criticise when that is clearly mot the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't think anyone is presuming that.

I wouldn't consider not having exciting full backs as "serious issues" either.

I think some people are . .
    bangkok wrote: »
    State of the club?? Ah here, probably the best run club in world football

And the "serious Issues" I was referring to was nothing to do with players who the club have or have not managed to get this summer. Its the issues the owners have had trying to be more involved in the running of the club for the past 5 years and how this has impacted the stature of the club.

Can you tell me what the clubs transfer strategy is ? Can you tell me what the clubs long term plans are ?

What was the strategy with Moyes ?

What was the idea behind LVG ?

Jose is a short term manager who never had a team renowned for playing entertaining football so was this a shift in strategy ? Why wasn't he good enough when he was available around the time SAF was retiring ?

My issues are that I don't think the owners are fully committed to any kind of obvious long term strategy. Its like a scattergun of throwing money at players sometimes and then buying youth other times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://as.com/futbol/2018/08/08/primera/1533719935_049361.html?id_externo_rsoc=CM_ES_TW

Herrera plans run down his contract and leave on a free next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Guardiola would win the league with that front six.

He would also demand that entire back 4 be replaced for £250m+

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think some people are . .

And the "serious Issues" I was referring to was nothing to do with players who the club have or have not managed to get this summer. Its the issues the owners have had trying to be more involved in the running of the club for the past 5 years and how this has impacted the stature of the club.

Can you tell me what the clubs transfer strategy is ? Can you tell me what the clubs long term plans are ?

What was the strategy with Moyes ?

What was the idea behind LVG ?

Jose is a short term manager who never had a team renowned for playing entertaining football so was this a shift in strategy ? Why wasn't he good enough when he was available around the time SAF was retiring ?

My issues are that I don't think the owners are fully committed to any kind of obvious long term strategy. Its like a scattergun of throwing money at players sometimes and then buying youth other times.

Another Ctrl+C Ctrl+V post. Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

pjohnson wrote: »

And sign who... john stones otamendi delph left back and still win a league easily.

Yet apart from Walker over Valencia, the back 4 he won the league with isn't really any better than the 1st choice back 4 we already have. A bit of coaching goes a long way.

I am trying to qualify my stance with relevant information. You incorrectly assumed I was referring to the signing of full backs which is not something I said at all . .

Ignoring a point doesn't invalidate it because you don't like it or the way its being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Look who it is complaining about someone else's posting style brilliant.

• Advertisement

I am trying to qualify my stance with relevant information. You incorrectly assumed I was referring to the signing of full backs which is not something I said at all . .

Ignoring a point doesn't invalidate it because you don't like it or the way its being made.

And you'd do well to remember that next time you paste your usual questionnaire into a post to someone, ignore their response, then post the same questionnaire the next day.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Look who it is complaining about someone else's posting style brilliant.

Nothing wrong with my posting style. You'll hoover up the thanks from the usual suspects with that little jibe though so mission accomplished.

And you'd do well to remember that next time you paste your usual questionnaire into a post to someone, ignore their response, then post the same questionnaire the next day.
    Nothing wrong with my posting style. You'll hoover up the thanks from the usual suspects with that little jibe though so mission accomplished.

We are lucky that we have you to guide us on being better posters . .

sarcastic-thanks-gif-7.gif

Another Ctrl+C Ctrl+V post about "usual suspects" and "hoover up thanks". Great.

This is fun.
    We are lucky that we have you to guide us on being better posters . .

sarcastic-thanks-gif-7.gif

And providing such varied posts aswell.

All gifs should be banned from a discussion forum imo. They add absolutely nothing

All gifs should be banned from a discussion forum imo. They add absolutely nothing to a discussion

They took our Kate Upton GIFs,they aren't taking any more away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

When united went for mourinho I wasn't a fan of his but thought he was the man that was needed to knock them into shape and build solid foundations for future managers to build on.

Instead of that after 2 seasons he has a team with no set starting 11, no functional formation and players playing out of position to cover problems.

To make it worse, he has brought on extra unneeded scrutiny by the press with all his pre season complaining. Arsenal, chelsea and spurs need more added to their squads but don't have as much gloom about them cos their managers just get on with what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

This is the team that should be playing and it should be hammering teams. We seem to have forgotten Sanchez played on the right for Barca and Udinese 

If Fred turns out to be a solid player, which he probably will, the front six is good.

The back 4 however needed to be upgraded this summer. Valencia will continue to break ankles with his crosses, Bailly will miss chunks of season injured and Lindelof/Shaw have a lot to prove.

I've said it loads on here but the system we play needs good, energetic, attackings FBs. Jose said he asked for 5 players, you'd think 1 CB and 2 FBs were on that list. A list, it currently looks like, he may as well have wiped his backside with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

All gifs should be banned from a discussion forum imo. They add absolutely nothing

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No jibe at all your the one throwing the jibes around, you ignore the posters points and complain about his posting style.

As the others said your the one that does the copy and paste when your pulled up on something you play the victim card and claim to be can get up on.

Same old story there to be honest.

https://twitter.com/KirstyHanson3/status/1027110878565597184

United's women doing a gym session at 7am.

Imagine if Jose had the squad in at 7,the media would crucify him for bullying the players by making them get up early.

If Fred turns out to be a solid player, which he probably will, the front six is good.

The back 4 however needed to be upgraded this summer. Valencia will continue to break ankles with his crosses, Bailly will miss chunks of season injured and Lindelof/Shaw have a lot to prove.

I've said it loads on here but the system we play needs good, energetic, attackings FBs. Jose said he asked for 5 players, you'd think 1 CB and 2 FBs were on that list. A list, it currently looks like, he may as well have wiped his backside with.

Apparently "a bit of coaching" is all Bailly needs to be able to play regularly and avoid injury.

Yet Pep hasn't been able to coach the injuries out of Kompany so not really sure that stands up to mild scrutiny.

lurker.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can we stop with the Guardiola would win xyz with this squad nonsense, he would demand adding at least 3 or 4 quality starting XI players, which is exactly what we need, and wouldn’t even think about joining unless that was guaranteed.

Guardiola is an expert at getting his ideal conditions, there is a reason he joined City and not United, if you cannot see that you are a lost cause.

City have players far better than us on an individual level, even if our players played to their peak all of last season we would not have finished ahead or scored 105 goals with any manager, Mourinho is becoming a scapegoat for the people too lazy to delve into the real issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Well you said the club was only aiming for a top four. Now your saying the club is happy with second.

Man City where light years ahead of everyone last year. I'm sorry you expect Man United to win the league every year., that just isn't realistic anymore. Lower your expectations to reality.
    FFS, be happy with not aiming to win the league? Nah, I think I'll continue to expect united to be aiming to be the best. And criticise when that is clearly mot the case.

Well continue to be disappointed so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

tenor.gif?itemid=5109282

Given Martial's apparent attempts to get away from us this summer, I'd imagine Rashford will start ahead of him. Doubly so since he was made the new #10.

Shaw will be benched for Young within a month too.

But otherwise, yeah.

Wouldn't be shocked to see a 3ATB formation, especially if we gtet Toby. Something like...
    DDG
    Bailly - Toby - Lindelof
    Valencia - Fred - Matic - Young
    Pogba
    Sanchez - Lukaku

Seeing it written down at least helps alieviate some of my fears. The mid three will be very interesting to watch this summer.

No jibe at all your the one throwing the jibes around, you ignore the posters points and complain about his posting style.

I've engaged with that poster on several occasions and will do so on several occasions in the future. You can only so often respond with the same points to the same posts before it gets to the point where it's simply not worth it anymore. Go look at Giggsy and brintys interactions with the same poster recently and how they concluded.
    As the others said your the one that does the copy and paste when your pulled up on something you play the victim card and claim to be can get up on.

Same old story there to be honest.

Well apart from the obvious gulf in frequency with which I post the above post and drumpot posts his "What are the board's priorities? What is the club's long term strategy? " post, I was simply calling it as I see it. It was an obvious dig at me and my posting style because you didn't even outline what your problem with my posting style was. As per usual, when I call it out for what it was, the "playing the victim line" gets trotted out again.

Apparently "a bit of coaching" is all Bailly needs to be able to play regularly and avoid injury.

Yet Pep hasn't been able to coach the injuries out of Kompany so not really sure that stands up to mild scrutiny.

I never said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

New season, new haircut...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmOFdavjabf

Same underwhelming performances...probably.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

So he is not allowed to get his haircut now?!

Season not even started and ye are already on his back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So he is not allowed to get his haircut now?!

Season not even started and ye are already on his back

Just a joke, no need to leap to his defence....again.

(Serbian source) Manchester United have offered €100m for Sergej Milinković Savić, Lazio want €120m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How many times did they have to edit that? Looked like the barber was kicking it miles away when passing back to Pogba :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If only he put in the same effort at United as he does with his "brand"

Lord TSC wrote: »
    (Serbian source) Manchester United have offered €100m for Sergej Milinković Savić, Lazio want €120m

Really hope this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Really hope this is true.

He good? No idea on him

Hococop wrote: »
    He good? No idea on him

Seen bit of him last season then really liked the look of him at the world cup.

The fact we have Matic here to would just add to things.

Hococop wrote: »
    He good? No idea on him

What I've constantly heard is he's very similiar to Pogba, a little more direct and physical, though with a more limited passing range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What I've constantly heard is he's very similiar to Pogba, a little more direct and physical, though with a more limited passing range.

Can play Pogba at CB then. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

If Pogba does want to leave for Barca signing a replacement first makes sense. We would have 3 weeks to squeeze every penny out of Barca. We wouldn't be under any pressure to sell and could even threaten to do a Coutihno and hold onto Pogba until January if Barca were banging the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

If that SMS link is true it would lend more credence to the belief that we will play 4-3-2-1 or maybe 3-5-2.

Or that Pogba is off :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Pogba and Matic at CB with Toby now...

Fred, Herrera and Fellaini in midfield

DDG
    Pogba--Toby-Matic
    Val-Fred-Herrera-Fellaini-Sanchez
    Lukaku.....

Joking aside...
    DDG
    Valencia - Bailly - Toby - Young
    Matic
    Fred - SMS
    Pogba
    Lukaku - Sanchez

Joking aside...
    DDG
    Matic
    Fred - SMS
    Pogba
    Lukaku - Sanchez

I like.

Joking aside...
    DDG
    Matic
    Fred - SMS
    Pogba
    Lukaku - Sanchez

Possibly not the worst formation and set up.. free's pogba from midfield duties.

If we got Toby and SMS tomorrow would that make people happy??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Joking aside...
    DDG
    Matic
    Fred - SMS
    Pogba
    Lukaku - Sanchez

That's how I see it aswell.

If we sign them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

brinty wrote: »
    If we got Toby and SMS tomorrow would that make people happy??

With Toby yes.

With SMS, I'm not sold on him yet, haven't seen much of him to be fair. That €120m could solve our 2 full backs with change left over.

• Advertisement

Joking aside...
    DDG
    Matic
    Fred - SMS
    Pogba
    Lukaku - Sanchez

Or

DDG