Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to appear smart in meetings

• 07-08-2018 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I read this article earlier and actually laughed out loud in recognition of so many of these traits in bosses that I've had over the years.

My latest boss has done pretty much all of them, with the exception of Number Ten which would involve not taking yourself too seriously which the man is incapable of.

I think my favourite is number 6 - "Ask 'will this scale?' no matter what it is" and number 2 - "translate percentage metrics into fractions". My boss does both of these things in every meeting I've been in with him. "So what we're saying here is that our projected pipeline is essentially three quarters of where we need it to be". Well done Einstein, you understand the basic concept of maths!

Some good ones in the comments too. "Pick out someone senior and give him a nod - "to your earlier point" and then say literally anything." They will immediately be flattered that you're referencing them no matter what you say and noone in the room will pull you up on it because you've involved the most senior person in the room.

What do you do to command respect in meetings, particularly the painfully boring (i.e most) meetings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I tell everyone I hate meetings. I also tell them that if a meeting does not help improve my ability to do my job or in the services I offer, then I shouldn't be involved in it. That's how I'm smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah, it’s like what you said in the earlier thread, 90% of the time 1/10 of the people don’t give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s like what you said in the earlier thread, 90% of the time 1/10 of the people don’t give a damn.

Will this scale though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I read this article earlier and actually laughed out loud in recognition of so many of these traits in bosses that I've had over the years.

My latest boss has done pretty much all of them, with the exception of Number Ten which would involve not taking yourself too seriously which the man is incapable of.

I think my favourite is number 6 - "Ask 'will this scale?' no matter what it is" and number 2 - "translate percentage metrics into fractions". My boss does both of these things in every meeting I've been in with him. "So what we're saying here is that our projected pipeline is essentially three quarters of where we need it to be". Well done Einstein, you understand the basic concept of maths!

Some good ones in the comments too. "Pick out someone senior and give him a nod - "to your earlier point" and then say literally anything." They will immediately be flattered that you're referencing them no matter what you say and noone in the room will pull you up on it because you've involved the most senior person in the room.

What do you do to command respect in meetings, particularly the painfully boring (i.e most) meetings?

I use that one all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Tip #1: Keep your mouth shut OP

:pac:

• Advertisement

Sad!

2pYlhNJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I think we need some blue sky thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All from the Cooper Review. That girl is hilarious. I like her one on '37 Signs you prepared this Presentation at the very last minute'.

Definitely true!

Tip #2: Whip your lad out and bang it against the desk while repeatedly reciting your 12 times tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Slacks, shirt and a tie at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Take out your filofax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Better to be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth & remove all doubt.

Take out your filofax.

You missed the preceding step. Get into your Delorean and go back to 1985.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of good points made here today but the reality is we just can't predict the future. The planning process for good and bad eventualities need to be put in place. And I would like to head such a taskforce.

Mentioning data at least 45 times is always a good one aswell.

"Data driven results". "Let's base our decisions on the data". "Data doesn't lie".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Meetings are such a colossal waste of everyone's time. Usually the decision has been made already, but to keep everyone onside the "team" is included.

I left many a meeting citing a dizzy spell or not feeling well once the first then minutes of shyte talk left me braindead.

Glad that's all behind me now. Whew!

Meetings are such a colossal waste of everyone's time. Usually the decision has been made already, but to keep everyone onside the "team" is included.

I left many a meeting citing a dizzy spell or not feeling well once the first then minutes of shyte talk left me braindead.

Yeah I'd hate meetings too if my input wasn't valued, no wonder you didn't like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yep so if it goes right it’s “well I made the decision” and if it goes wrong it’s “it was the teams fault.” Success has many parents and failure is an orphan.

On another note, I have a manager who often puts meetings in and we will sit down and he’ll say “ah I just put it in the diary in case my boss or the auditors ask.” Such utter bolloxology.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Yeah I'd hate meetings too if my input wasn't valued, no wonder you didn't like them!

I doubt anyone in the whole wide world likes them, apart from those who can talk shyte about nothing to get noticed with corporate speak like. What a waste of time they are! :p

I doubt anyone in the whole wide world likes them, apart from those who can talk shyte about nothing to get noticed with corporate speak like. What a waste of time they are! :p

Ah, some people get bored and leave when they don't understand what's going on, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Leave it to those who do know :)

• Advertisement

Analogies are always good too, particularly sporting analogies. My boss likes to use rowing ("teamwork is like rowing, we're all relying on each other to pull the boat") and cricket, just to make sure we're all aware of how excruciatingly affluent and middle class he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When you get the invite through Google or whatever calender just delete it. Don't accept. Keep note of the date and time. Then just as it's starting go on up for a ****e. Take at least 15 mins and go back to your desk. When you get the call asking where are you ? Tell them what are you talking about? They say the meeting. Ahh sure go on ahead I'll follow up after with one of the lads/ladies. Then back to YouTube with yourself.

Ah, some people get bored and leave when they don't understand what's going on, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Leave it to those who do know :)

You sound like my former boss, what an arrogant ignorant bollix he was too.

You sound like my former boss, what an arrogant ignorant bollix he was too.

It can certainly seem that way, I'm sure he was just extremely frustrated, happens to me too :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6e3f3e411a404cb1b713982804d2baf0.gif

It can certainly seem that way, I'm sure he was just extremely frustrated, happens to me too :(

I like your style, you must be MD/CEO by now lol. All the best.

I like your style, you must be MD/CEO by now lol. All the best.

Soon, another few meetings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Have a pen ..tap if off the desk whilst grilling your target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Come in.

Take a shyte on the table.

Headbutt someone in the mouth then start a bonfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Come in.

Any success with this methodology?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Show flair and verve in the strategizing stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

In a past job I was in no position of influence but was in meetings as the token presence for my team with little idea of what was going on.

I had three stock phrases depending on the vibe in the room for the latest "game changer"

Everyone nodding furiously : "I am genuinely excited about this and can't wait to position it to the team"

Mixed vibes : "I see challenges in what you are proposing but I can see how the result is worth chasing"

Everyone looking like the plan was nuts : "I see the foundations of something worth exploring further to identify how to overcome the obstacles"

Come in.

Ah a connoisseur

I see you've read me buke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do not, repeat NOT, invite, even think about inviting, me to meetings that are about a) other meetings or b) you getting "air-time". If you do, I will attend, and I will make a complete idiot of you in front of your boss, my boss, their bosses, and all your leather-winged Underkin. This I swear to you. Just leave me alone. You have been warned. #BOFH #AIX4EVA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For the ambitious business professional looking to get ahead in the industry.
    Dazzle all the execs at your next business meeting...

Create your own corporate B.S. catch phrase!

Instructions:
    1. Click the button below;
    2. Random corporate bull**** statement appears in text field;
    3. Repeat as required ad nauseam.

https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

For the ambitious business professional looking to get ahead in the industry.
    Dazzle all the execs at your next business meeting...

Create your own corporate B.S. catch phrase!

Instructions:
    1. Click the button below;
    2. Random corporate bull**** statement appears in text field;
    3. Repeat as required ad nauseam.

https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html
    Oooh that's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Accentuate, accentuate, accennnnntuate.

Also throw in a moral dilemma mid- way through the meeting that is completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Oh and quote random phrases from Shakespeare every once in a while, such as 'We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep,' and wink to your boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If the meeting room has a rectangular table, always sit at one end, rather than along sides. Makes it look like you are chairing the meeting, even if you have no clue what's going on. Tip: doesn't work with round tables. :)

I usually try to get the word "solutionize" in there. "Potentialize" also works. You can only spell those words with a Z.

Sit the same way the most senior person in the room is sitting. If they are sitting forward writing notes, do that too. If they are sitting back with their legs crossed, you do that too.

Forget your laptop or notepad. Take notes on your phone's notepad (tell people this). Then, you can look at pictures on Instagram, and engage in Whatsapp "bantz" with your mates all the way through the meeting.

If someone makes a lighthearted comment / joke, don't laugh. You are FAR too important and busy to laugh at jokes, especially today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Draw crop circles on your notepad, leaning really hard on the paper. Do it for the entire meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Any success with this methodology?

Havent tried it yet.

I reckon it's some CEO SH1T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm sure there are meetings where things of importance get done. Such as in NASA.
    But I'd wager for the vast majority of office drones who must attend them, they are little more than an excuse for people to attempt to sound important and feel valued. HR department's can't really blather on about the importance of being a team player if people never sit around a table every now and again.....................and of course they are time off the job too. That was my experience of them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wear sunglasses and a leather jacket and smoke a cigarette.

oh sorry, I thought the question was how to appear cool in meetings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I've never been in a meeting in my life.
    And I aim to maintain this unblemished record.

How about just saying Lads I've to go to the Jacks, and basically don't come back until the end of the meeting.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm sure there are meetings where things of importance get done. Such as in NASA.
    But I'd wager for the vast majority of office drones who must attend them, they are little more than an excuse for people to attempt to sound important and feel valued. HR department's can't really blather on about the importance of being a team player if people never sit around a table every now and again.....................and of course they are time off the job too. That was my experience of them anyway.

They're usually filled with the loudest voices putting on a show about how great they are and end up giving you a laundry list of "solutions" that you never quite get around to because your schedule is back-to-back with pointless inane meetings full of hot air ideas that go nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"solutions"

It's "solutionize". Get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Meetings are seldom about actually doing anything, and invariably about posturing and making others aware of your brand.
    If you look around you at the next meeting, especially for anything product or prject based, you've got a few distinct groups. You've got the product guy, the policy guy, the tech team reps, the boss and a few subordinates. You've (especially if you're a subordinate) got to look like the guy who looks like he's joining the dots (note - you don'#t have to have a clue what's going on, this is where stupid americanisms come into play).

Oh and my personal favourite, meetings about meetings. A great waste of time which is really good unless you've actually got something to do that day... which if you're working smart instead of hard, you probably shouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don’t forget to tell everyone that you’re ‘humbled’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

My aim in every meeting is not to open my note pad. If I don't write anything down then I leave the meeting without any tasks. I leave that to the eager beavers scribbling down notes of a meeting they will never look at again and who invariably volunteer for every task that comes up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement