Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap laser printers - reliable & worth it?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to print stuff from time to time, it's rare but the need does arise. Sometimes letters, sometimes photos. I've had inkjet printers in the past and with one exception (my second most recent inkjet, which I actually had working for some years) they've all been heaps of ***** that started giving serious trouble after 6 months. My most recent inkjet is now acting up too, and I don't think it's worth bothering trying to fix, I'll probably just keep it around for the scanner part. (It's an all-in-one).

I also like the print quality from laser printers, albeit I've only seen prints from "full office" expensive lasers, they seem better than most inkjets even when the latter actually work :mad:

I'm thinking of buying a cheap colour laser printer, something like this:
    https://www.komplett.ie/brother-hl-3150cdw/20201257/product/9686

Or look around for something second hand.

Are home/SOHO type cheap laser printers better than inkjets in terms of their longevity? What say ye :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SeanW wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to print stuff from time to time, it's rare but the need does arise. Sometimes letters, sometimes photos. I've had inkjet printers in the past and with one exception (my second most recent inkjet, which I actually had working for some years) they've all been heaps of ***** that started giving serious trouble after 6 months. My most recent inkjet is now acting up too, and I don't think it's worth bothering trying to fix, I'll probably just keep it around for the scanner part. (It's an all-in-one).

I also like the print quality from laser printers, albeit I've only seen prints from "full office" expensive lasers, they seem better than most inkjets even when the latter actually work :mad:

Are home/SOHO type cheap laser printers better than inkjets in terms of their longevity? What say ye :pac:

If colour photo printing is rare I would use a print service for those and get a cheap mono laser printer for home. They start at about €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most reliable printers (as in work first time, even if not used in a while) I've used have all been mono lasers, even all in one.

Inkjets always seem too need to be cajoled into working. Expensive to print colour in small batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭traco

SeanW wrote: »
    Hi,

I have that Brother at home - no issues. Kids use it all the time for projects etc. Got fed up with ink. Still on original cartridges. Wireless printing and apps all work great. It lives in the converted attic and we can print from anywhere in the house via PC or phones. I've no issues with it so far.

Advertisement