Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37 and going to do leaving cert

Options
  • 08-08-2018 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi i am due to start my leaving certain in a few weeks and am very worried. Im 37 and left school right after my JC. So its 21 years since i attended school. It seemed like a good idea when i registered to go back as a mature student but the closer it gets the more nervous i get. I do have plans for a new career based on how i do after 2 years and results of LC so i know its definitely worth it but was wondering if anyone had any experience with going back after so many years to do LC? I cannot stop thinking that the subjects are going to be very hard and ill have to quit. I have convinced myself that my intelligence is that of a 1st year student when it comes to all the subjects and even then i think that's given myself too much credit. Like my irish is Nil and my maths is definitely 6th class level. Just need some reassurance that i am not about to start something that is way over my head.
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Dont be panicing!I'm sure you have thought this through and have big things in mind for when your finish. Fair dues to you. Two years is a long time when you are 37 -what is it you have planned to do with it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Well done on the decision. With work you will be fine. You do need professional advice however as depending on what you want to achieve there may be better paths. Personally if maths needs super effort I think having to do Irish could really hamper you time wise ( I know this will annoy some people but you do not need Irish in the real world and maths is essential).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

While I would agree in principle if you want to be a gaurd or work in the civil service for standard entrants both maths AND Irish is required. However most places have a mature entrant pathway or entrance for people who left school early - including many govt depts under various guises. Although the OP would be too old (possibly) to join the degence forces or gaurds now I guess - or nearly so! Regarding maths I have NEVER used or needed to use the majority of the maths I did for theleaving cert although I did need it as a basic to get into college -where I then blissfully ignored and forgot everything that had tormented me and that I had worked so hard to learn for 6 years. An utter waste of time and trouble. However the OP might be wanting to study for banking ir insurance or payroll or science or programming and if so it may be a requirement or needed.

I understand absolutely why someone would have a personal or social goal of achieving something they left undone 20 years ago that the majority of the population has but most places -colleges - have special pathways for mature students who have NO leaving cert .This includes high demand colleges such as Trinity who have a much publicised pathway into science, arts and medicine with a one or two year intensive support programme (supported by social welfare granys) especially designed for early school leavers and those who do not have the LC or even the subjects to JC level to get in by normal routes. So again I wonder what the OP's goal is for after?

Apart from the huge personal goal of achieving gwtting tje LC I wonder if there might be a less tunnel vision way of achieving their end goal? Two years at this stage /age is a lot of time if it can be more productively spent/invested for the same end results. There may well be classes online (hard) or at the Institute of Edu. or elsewhere for mature students but a forty year old sitting in with 14 and 15 and 16 year olds will be odd and difficult and they will be on such different wavelengths even if s/he is absolutely accepted and absorbed into the class. (If the OP is going into a 'normal' classroom in a normal school to do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Congrats on making a big decision.
    There is support out there for you if you need extra help. I would start by contacting wherever you will be studying and discuss it with them.
    You got your JC so the knowledge is in your brain somewhere, but more important is that you have decided that you can learn and are old enough to have the confidence to ask questions and look for help if you are struggling with something.

Go to your local libuary and have a word with the staff if there is an adult learning support running in the area they are likely aware of it.

Try contacting these guys https://www.nala.ie/first-steps for learning support with the maths and here http://www.gael-linn.ie for the Irish. If they can't help they may be able to point you in the right direction for local support.

For the Irish speach stick on TG4 and watch the irish cartoons and put on the subtitles function it may work. There is an Irish section on here too. Written Irish and Maths can be a little hard if there is an assumption of prior learning but see what your teacher recommends once they assess what level you are currently at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

You will also know a lot of stuff from life experience that 16 year olds will not know. You want to be there, unlike many of those younger students.
    You say you have enrolled as a mature student so you will meet others like you, I think.
    The main point I want to make is Be Strategic. For example, if you don't need Irish for the future, don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm presuming you are going to attend classes somewhere, maybe an adult ed. centre, or a specific adults LC college like Pearse? If so, please don't worry. The staff know how you are feeling and will help you out. You might be surprised how quickly things come back to you.

There will be challenges of course, but with your own life experience, the support of others on the course and the staff, you will be fine.

Make sure that if at any stage you feel like you are struggling, tell your tutor, do not let worries, issues or confusions build up. Ask questions if something is not clear. There is nothing about you says you cannot be successful at this.

If you are not 'getting' something in class, it is not being explained to you properly. It does not mean you are not able for it.

Well done on taking the leap into the semi-unknown. Remember we have a forum here full of people waiting to help you if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Fair play to you. Best of luck.. "Feel the fear, but do it anyway".... ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Well done for going back to education. Are you 100% sure you need the leaving cert for your chosen career? Most universities have access courses for mature students with no leaving cert- that may be a more appropriate route, depending on your final goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 reaperbeardy35

Wow what a great response and so helpful.

My main reason for going back is to change Career from Computer/Phone Repairs to Carpentry. I understand i do not need all the subjects for this change but i have always felt uneasy about my lack of education and i also want to open the door for myself to do other things in life that i couldn't do before due to not having a completed education. I will be going to Plunket college for 2 years and if i pass then the plan is to continue there for another 2 years with carpentry training. Hopefully get some work in the field after and then in the next 10+ years i plan on been able to contribute to the build of an Eco House away from the city for my wife and kids (or grand kids :O). Alot of plans but i feel getting on the right path now is key to achieving what i want.

Lastly the other reason for me to return to school at this age is i have 3 girls (7, 8 & 9 years old). I am able to help them with their homework and studies now but i am well aware that in the coming years they will need extra help and i want to be able to step in when needed and help them out. They will have huge exams and if i complete mine then maybe i can put them at ease and assist them better then i was 21 years ago.

Im glad to hear that the College looks after the older student and knows how to deal with them. You have all put my mind at ease now. Thanks again for all advice and nice comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Op the best of luck to you (Although I dont think you need luck as you are so determined)

• Advertisement
Advertisement