Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism Controversy Thread

Options
  • 07-08-2018 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like some drama blew up overnight - Filip from IGN has been accused of plagiarising a review from Boomstick for his Dead Cells review. Seems pretty blatant too. Did he not think anyone would notice? Apparently IGN have pulled their review so they are taking it seriously...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I thought it looked familiar when I watched, as I had watched a couple of videos prior to pre-ordering Dead Cells. How can you think you'd get away with something like that in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Yikes. NVC will be interesting this week. I still haven't completely warmed to him as a presenter. He's very rigid. But getting better slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

one strike and you're out

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good statement from IGN though. I kind of feel sorry for the guy - I thought he was doing a good job.

Change of career time too.... it will be hard for him to get another job as a journalist.

I saw this on the NVC group:

bjedkxn.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Good statement from IGN though. I kind of feel sorry for the guy - I thought he was doing a good job.

Change of career time too.... it will be hard for him to get another job as a journalist.

I saw this on the NVC group:

bjedkxn.jpg?1

That other example is absurd. I'd imagine every single review expressed the same in similar (how could it be otherwise?) words.

My issue isn't Filip's guilt. As regards the Dead Cells review, the proof is pretty blatant. It's the EAGERNESS to destroy a person's career upon a single slip-up. All of us are human. For all we know, it could have been a simple case of Filip leaving it late to get the review done, and in desperation he plagiarised a review from another source to meet his deadline. Absolutely not good. But worthy of him losing his job? I'm sorry but no. It's this horrible attitude to destroy a person when they slip-up that has become an aspect of modern life (ESPECIALLY in the digital sphere) that disgusts me no end. Let he without sin cast the first stone, etc. etc.

Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

manual_man wrote: »
    That other example is absurd. I'd imagine every single review expressed the same in similar (how could it be otherwise?) words.

My issue isn't Filip's guilt. As regards the Dead Cells review, the proof is pretty blatant. It's the EAGERNESS to destroy a person's career upon a single slip-up. All of us are human. For all we know, it could have been a simple case of Filip leaving it late to get the review done, and in desperation he plagiarised a review from another source to meet his deadline. Absolutely not good. But worthy of him losing his job? I'm sorry but no. It's this horrible attitude to destroy a person when they slip-up that has become an aspect of modern life (ESPECIALLY in the digital sphere) that disgusts me no end. Let he without sin cast the first stone, etc. etc.

Disgusting.

Absurd? The structure and a lot of the words are identical, just switched around. There are other reviewers who are capable of writing reviews without plagiarising. Once would maybe deserve a slap on the wrist, but twice? Nah, the dude doesn't deserve the job.

Absurd? The structure and a lot of the words are identical, just switched around. There are other reviewers who are capable of writing reviews without plagiarising. Once would maybe deserve a slap on the wrist, but twice? Nah, the dude doesn't deserve the job.

That second example is a GIANT leap to claim plagiarism. In any case, my point stands. The EAGERNESS to condemn(without possibility for absolution) in society today is fúcking DISGUSTING. None of us are perfect but this horrible vindictiveness prevalent in modern day society is a horrible reflection on a large portion of modern-day society and the utter hate in their hearts. I'll play no part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

That second example is a GIANT leap to claim plagiarism. In any case, my point stands. The EAGERNESS to condemn(without possibility for absolution) in society today is fúcking DISGUSTING. None of us are perfect but this horrible vindictiveness prevalent in modern day society is a horrible reflection on a large portion of modern-day society and the utter hate in their hearts. I'll play no part in it.

I don't want to be part of a witch hunt either, I wish I no ill on the man, its laziness, not murder, but the second example of supposed plagiarism really doesn't need a giant leap, or any kind of leap, to see it. It's there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

He had to go unfortunately. His credibility is ruined but he doesn't deserve the abuse he's getting online. People make mistakes and he's been punished. That should be the end of it.
    Not sure he was a good fit for the podcast. Would probably have been better to bring him in as a panellist first.

• Advertisement

I don't want to be part of a witch hunt either, I wish I no ill on the man, its laziness, not murder, but the second example of supposed plagiarism really doesn't need a giant leap, or any kind of leap, to see it. It's there.

I respectfully disagree. It's a point that i imagine was raised in the majority of reviews. There's only so many words or so many ways you can use to express the point in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

Each sentence matches in content, and a lot of the words are identical. It really isn't a leap.

The guy stole another person's work and tried to pass it off as his own. Not only did he steal, he also damaged the reputation of the company he represented. He's shown himself to be untrustworthy.
    He's not the victim here, all of this mess is entirely his own fault.
    I wouldn't call it vindictiveness to want such a person to be replaced with someone who is capable of doing the job properly.
    Maybe he'll be able to redeem himself eventually, but he'll need to work very very hard to achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I respectfully disagree. It's a point that i imagine was raised in the majority of reviews. There's only so many words or so many ways you can use to express the point in case.

We'll agree to disagree, which seems perfectly reasonable! I do take your point otherwise about a feeding frenzy of people these days waiting to pounce. As I said, he's not a murderer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

To any people who doubt he's a serial plagiarist, read the rest of the article on Kotaku. No doubt in my mind that it's blatant plagiarism too.
    Here’s an excerpt from a NintendoLife review of Fifa 18 for Switch posted on September 29, 2017:
    However, because it’s not running on the Frostbite engine, FIFA 18 on Switch doesn’t play exactly like the other current-gen versions. The pace is slightly faster and player animations and physics aren’t quite as fluid, lending the game an ever-so-slightly more arcade feel (but not to any major degree).

And an excerpt from a video review from Miucin posted on October 1, 2017:
    Only this time, it’s running on a custom engine that EA designed specifically for Switch, which means that it doesn’t play exactly like the Xbox One and PS4 editions of the game do. The animations and physics are definitely not as fluid and the pacing feels slightly faster, ultimately leaving the game feeling a little less realistic and slightly more arcadey.

NintendoLife:
    It actually works well; as long as you aren’t a stickler for intricate animation detail, you’re going to have fun here. It runs smoother than a greased-up jazz musician too, with a full 60 frames per second in both docked and handheld mode making for a silky performance and the general feel that you’re playing a high quality product. Although its (slightly less silky-smooth) cutscenes and other close-up moments reveal that the character models are a good deal less detailed than their Xbox One and PS4 counterparts, squint a bit during normal gameplay and you’d genuinely struggle to tell the difference.

Miucin:
    But when you’re playing the game, it actually works really well, and it’s easy to look past the graphical setbacks. Because whether you’re playing docked or undocked, the game seems to run at a consistent 60 frames per second, which looks silky smooth and really leaves you feeling like you’re having a true triple-A home console experience but on a console you can take with you on the go. However, when you get up close and get a good look at some of the character models, it’s pretty clear they do have a good amount of less detail than the Xbox One and PS4 versions do, but any imperfections are pretty much unnoticeable during gameplay.

For all we know he could've been on a warning or probation and this is just what we're hearing about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You wanted a plagiarism thread you got one.

I'm thinking though now of having a very similar, almost identical thread created, but called "the thread of plagiarism controversy" and fill it with exactly the same content... for humour/meta purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

You do that in the education sector and you’re gone. A lot of colleges wouldn’t give you a second chance either. It’s harsh, but that’s life.

You’d have to wonder about the firing. IGN Could have wanted to appease the masses by giving the plagiarist the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You wanted a plagiarism thread you got one.

I'm thinking though now of having a very similar, almost identical thread created, but called "the thread of plagiarism controversy" and fill it with exactly the same content... for humour/meta purposes.

Don't be so obvious. Changes the words around. There's built in thesaurus features in Chrome so easy peasy :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

chrislad wrote: »
    Don't be so obvious. Changes the words around. There's built in thesaurus features in Chrome so easy peasy :)

But, what about using the thesaurus tools in Chrome, it's pretty simple. Incorporating word changes too will make it less obvious....

Ah, I see what you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I struggled watching NVC with Filip when he started he was just so nervous and out of his depth. I haven't watched NVC in a long while mainly I just don't have the time anymore.

Difficult situation for IGN considering the effort they put into getting him to the company and to be the face of its Nintendo content.

I like how they are possibly giving ad revenue from Filip's review to the original youtuber though that is a nice touch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

NVC hasn't been the same since Jose Otero left, but I liked Filip. This is a shame, and I feel bad for him but I guess he made his own bed. I don't agree with the vitriol aimed at him on Twitter etc, but that's to be expected these days unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I feel bad for the guy. It was a stupid thing to do, but what a horrible outcome, now all of a sudden everyone knows the name Filip Miucin, and his name will be forever associated with plagiarism, that’s his whole career gone up in smoke over one very silly, albeit, serious mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Disgusting.

I think you're letting your emotions from other issues cloud this incident. Stealing another person's material and publishing it for profit is unacceptable. It's not a small "slip-up" when it's your job to produce the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Filip has been doing this for a while. I don't buy the whole 'lost his career over one mistake' thing The difference he's at IGN now so a bigger target for people to genuinely air their grievance too. He also plagiarised Chris Scullion from Nintendolife's FIFA 18 review in his own video review.

Well, I hope he's happy in his new career Filip-ing burgers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

pasta-solo wrote:
    NVC hasn't been the same since Jose Otero left, but I liked Filip.

Fair to say that Jose knew far more about Nintendo than all the guys on the podcast after him, that's why he got a job with Nintendo.
    Filip is gone but other than Peer it's the blind leading the blind on that show.
    Something weird going on at IGN with Marty Sliva going recently and they announced it on a podcast as if he had committed an atrocity that viewers/listeners were unaware of.

Haven't listened to NVC in a while but always like Brian and Peer. Will be interesting to see what happens. People wanting Peer to take over as host don't seem to realise it's part of the job as their Nintendo editor. So when they get a new editor, they'll have a new host.

May I suggest Arlo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Filip's last tweet is his Dead Cells review link - he hasn't taken it down (and the replies to that tweet are not kind).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Advertisement