Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism Controversy Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I watched the whole thing (and it's terrible that his family are getting abuse on social media - that's just awful), but he lost me about the minute mark when he said it was not intentional.

I wish him the best though - I liked him on NVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

His reviewing method seems flawed. He watches and reads other people's opinions and then makes his own review after that? Instead of coming up with his own individual opinion? Odd.
    But i hope for his sake the abuse stops. He's been sacked. That should be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The part where he goes after Kotaku for pointing out that this isn't the first time he's done it is where he ends his career. Such a strange non-apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The part where he goes after Kotaku for pointing out that this isn't the first time he's done it is where he ends his career. Such a strange non-apology.

I'd nearly half believe him on the FIFA one as those reviews from my time reading them are basically all the same. The Dead Cells one though uses the structure & everything it's a bigger budget remake.
    I think I seen that Jason Schrier wants to interview him & so does Colin Moriarity which is no surprise. He might make a bit of money out of this in the short run, long term tho his future is murky tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

Mr E wrote: »

So he's a professional scumbag then. I wonder how many more people he stole from.

He has been ripped to pieces online. Everything he says or does is the equivalent of digging a deeper hole.

He has since pulled his video from YouTube...

This is a brilliant breakdown of the whole situation and everything that was wrong with his apology (and yet another youtuber who has gotten a subscription from me out of this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's laughable when one if the worst youtubers out there for pulling shady **** is lecturing others on how to behave.

Who? Yongyea? I'd never heard of him...

Mr E wrote:
    Who? Yongyea? I'd never heard of him...

No, think he's on about Filip lecturing Kotaku on their behaviour.
    I like YongYea but it's so blatantly obvious he's reading off a screen it's off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

Mr E wrote: »
    He has been ripped to pieces online. Everything he says or does is the equivalent of digging a deeper hole.

He has since pulled his video from YouTube...

This is a brilliant breakdown of the whole situation and everything that was wrong with his apology (and yet another youtuber who has gotten a subscription from me out of this).

He ticks a lot of the boxes for what is talked about in this vid too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPhjRVji-WM&t=278s

The most recent episode of NVC with Zach as host was the best episode of the show in a long time. Conversation had a better flow, Zach is a lot more relaxed on camera than Filip.
    Not sure who will get the gig full-time but he would be a decent shout.
    It will be interesting to see do they give it to a current employee or bring in a new face again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

There is a difference between 'inspired' by other's opinion or blatantly copy pasting other's work and make it yours (without crediting the source at all). He gets paid to do the writing job, not to steal other people's work; naturally he should be fired.

I am not even talking about the impact to the reputation of the represented company, pride of being a writer/professionalism etc - the whole thing is more to do with basic human decency (i.e. not stealing other people's work). Not even sure how can he tried to play victim or anyone would defend him in some way. This is 2018 like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His list of plagarism goes on, this may be the worst yet. He copied a post on Neogaf word for word on one of his videos about HD rumble. It really is worth listening to for how blatant and ****ty it is.

Neogaf post here, post #10: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/how-does-hd-rumble-work.1336582/

His video here (between 00.30-01.03)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s crazy. I kind of felt sorry for him, but this is really sh1tty from him and it makes his "apology" video look even more damming.
    In his video he actually called people out to find other examples, he said they won’t find any… I don't know why he would say that, because it looks like he's built his career from copying other people’s opinions. It’s bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And more examples coming to light, to the point that ign are pulling all his reviews for a start. Like how in his Bayonetta 2 review he compares it to the Wii U version constantly despite having never had a Wii U.

*all information is completely from my own research. :p

CastorTroy wrote:
    And more examples coming to light, to the point that ign are pulling all his reviews for a start.

Nearly at the stage where I wonder how he lasted this long & how the hell IGN even hired him. I get the feeling they looked at Nintendo YouTuber's & picked him

I see Lily Zaldivar and Brian Altano both posted personal feelings about the whole situation this morning.
    They were all blindsided by him, that's for sure.

https://twitter.com/agentbizzle/status/1029605003399331840

https://twitter.com/CoolCatLilyZ/status/1029614486477398018

Very interesting thread over on ResetEra one post in particular:

IGN to scrub Filip Miucin from site almost completely after even more plagiarism surfaces

I bet he regrets calling out Jason Schrier from Kotaku in his "apology" video now. :pac:

Filip: "You can keep looking, Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything,"
    Internet: *cracks knuckles*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I bet he laments calling out Schrier from Kotaku in his "explanation" video now. :)

Miucin: "You can keep looking, Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything,"
    Web: "hold my beer"

It's a complete farce. There are hundreds if not thousands of people online who work incredibly hard to create good content to make a go of it in the industry. Most will never be able to earn a living off what they do. They do it for the love of it. Myself included.
    This guy comes along and basically disrespects every single one of these people.

I had a bit of sympathy in the beginning when I thought it was a once-off. He's done in journalism for good now. The internet doesn't forget.

Should've been suspicious of a nintendo editor that didn't get a Wii U.
    What were the chances of hiring one of possibly a handful of guys who plagiarise their material?

kerplun k wrote: »
    I bet he laments calling out Schrier from Kotaku in his "explanation" video now. :)

Miucin: "You can keep looking, Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything,"
    Web: "hold my beer"

I see what you did there... :D

Zach did a great job on Friday - best episode in ages (despite the boring Smash stuff).
    I'd say leave the dust settle for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

CastorTroy wrote:
    Should've been suspicious of a nintendo editor that didn't get a Wii U.

Tbh they need to explain what they were thinking when they hired him.
    I looked at a few of his YouTube vids when I first saw him on NVC and thought he was reading press releases.
    Mr E wrote:
    Zach did a great job on Friday - best episode in ages (despite the boring Smash stuff). I'd say leave the dust settle for a while.

Like Unlocked & Beyond I think NVC nosedived in quality as I used to listen to them on my daily commute.
    I tried watching it but it's hard to get into it when you know that nobody on the show is that knowledgeable for a Nintendo podcast. They had an utter diamond in Jose Otero and replaced him as a host with some lad who clearly knew f**k all which reflects very badly on the people who are on that show.

I've said before but he always felt more like a MC than a host/contributor. He just said what the next section was about and then pass it over to the rest of the team. Then would move on to the next subject after basically agreeing with one of the others and copying what they said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I think Filip's biggest mistake was saying "You can keep looking, Kotaku, and please let me know if you find anything,".

Advertisement