Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism Controversy Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

ERG89 wrote: »
    I tried watching it but it's hard to get into it when you know that nobody on the show is that knowledgeable for a Nintendo podcast.

Definitely for Filip, but I don't think that's fair for the regular rotation. Brian, Peer, Casey, Zach, Sam, Brendan etc. all seem to know Nintendo very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr E wrote: »

Jesus Christ, that's the worse one yet.

How did no-one notice this until now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was a bit uneasy at the angry mob mentality at first (allowing for the fact he was clearly completely in the wrong), but my oh my each example just digs him deeper and deeper into a hole of his own making.

One of the weird side effects of this is seeing the sort of writing a lot of outlets (from small ones to IGN) and YouTubers put out there. It’s just such plain, bland, cookie cutter commentary... I guess that’s the easiest stuff to ‘borrow’, mind, if you were so immorally inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I maybe haven't looked into this story as much as I could but from a half an hour reading about it and speaking as a professional who has worked in a reasonable creative space (copywriter and then creative team manager in a very big marketing team) I do think some of the criticism of this guy is way overblown.

Copying and pasting the job specs for his LinkedIn is no sin at all in the real world. The rest of what he did was wrong (blatantly plagiarising, as opposed to taking inspiration, which again is no sin) and he rightfully lost his job, but continuing to hound him about it or saying that he's insulted all people in his industry, games reviewers, etc... is just bizarre and strikes me as childish or immature.

In every big company in the world there are many people who have learned to get by by doing the minimum required, or by making a show of putting in the effort but not actually doing a tap, or by making the right friends, or passing off the work of others as their own. It sucks, particularly if you're picking up the slack for them, whether you know it or not, but that's the way of the world. This OTT storm of criticism just seems totally at odds with what would happen in most industries and professionals when someone is discovered ducking work like this (the person would be quietly moved on, would hopefully learn their lesson and get a job elsewhere without their life being ruined), it comes across as very strange to me.

The former co-workers and others who feel the need to cleanse their souls by airing their own dirty laundry about the guy come across as worse than Filip himself, drama queens who need their own bit of the spotlight. It's the worst form of American millennial culture imaginable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

ionapaul wrote: »
    I maybe haven't looked into this story as much as I could but from a half an hour reading about it and speaking as a professional who has worked in a reasonable creative space (copywriter and then creative team manager in a very big marketing team) I do think some of the criticism of this guy is way overblown.

Copying and pasting the job specs for his LinkedIn is no sin at all in the real world. The rest of what he did was wrong (blatantly plagiarising, as opposed to taking inspiration, which again is no sin) and he rightfully lost his job, but continuing to hound him about it or saying that he's insulted all people in his industry, games reviewers, etc... is just bizarre and strikes me as childish or immature.

In every big company in the world there are many people who have learned to get by by doing the minimum required, or by making a show of putting in the effort but not actually doing a tap, or by making the right friends, or passing off the work of others as their own. It sucks, particularly if you're picking up the slack for them, whether you know it or not, but that's the way of the world. This OTT storm of criticism just seems totally at odds with what would happen in most industries and professionals when someone is discovered ducking work like this (the person would be quietly moved on, would hopefully learn their lesson and get a job elsewhere without their life being ruined), it comes across as very strange to me.

The former co-workers and others who feel the need to cleanse their souls by airing their own dirty laundry about the guy come across as worse than Filip himself, drama queens who need their own bit of the spotlight. It's the worst form of American millennial culture imaginable :)

I think the only reason that this is still a story is because he put up that non apology,did not admit to what he had done and then really sealed the deal by challenging one of the best games journalists out there to find more stuff,which was basically asking the entire internet to search for more examples. They duly obliged.. Zero sympathy..

Yep, but he shot himself in the foot with a disingenuous non-apology apology video and challenging Jason Schreier and Kotaku to find more examples of plagiarism.

If he didn't hadn't done those things, he could have skulked into the shadows and found a new job easily enough in a few months.
    As it stands, he will be hard pressed to get a job in games journalism again.

Edit: ^^ What Phil said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

ionapaul wrote: »

Worse than him? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd regard chronic plagiarism as worse than seeking a bit of attention (if that is indeed their motivation).

Maybe I should put this on the humour thread...

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1030099359562575872

Guess who published a new video yesterday? It's a review video with another non-apology apology attached (the apology is a pinned comment). Tellingly, he has disabled the thumbs up/thumbs down icons for the video too...

To be fair, the video is decent and I'm interested in the products he reviewed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Guess who published a new video yesterday? It's a review video with another non-apology apology attached (the apology is a pinned comment). Tellingly, he has disabled the thumbs up/thumbs down icons for the video too...

To be fair, the video is decent and I'm interested in the products he reviewed. :)

Not really a fan of his video style myself.

Comments are as you'd imagine they'd be. Surprised he didn't disable comments, maybe it was worth it for the 3 or 4 positive posts in a sea of dislike.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

People like taking sides,so he has psychophants commenting,just because they want to be on a side.

How anyone else can trust one word out if his mouth is beyond me though.. Fake as F**k so he is..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The world doesn't need another Nintendo themed channel on youtube there are enough crap ones as it is.

Not really a fan of his video style myself.

Comments are as you'd imagine they'd be. Surprised he didn't disable comments, maybe it was worth it for the 3 or 4 positive posts in a sea of dislike.

:pac:

Yep...
    Does anyone know where I can watch the original?
    ...I have to admit he is as good as editing as he is as stealing
    Come on guys. He worked really hard to find this review.

But then there's a whole hape of stuff calling him out for his not-an-apology. Some are actually a little too harsh imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

NVC has been so much better since he left.

100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Craig Harris even made an appearance this week

Another apology. In fairness, this is a lot more direct, it is very specific, it seems sincere and it's done on one take (no jump cuts).

I think he should have included Jason Schreier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

Another apology. In fairness, this is a lot more direct, it is very specific, it seems sincere and it's done on one take (no jump cuts).

I think he should have included Jason Schreier though.

That was unexpected! Better late than never, though I wonder if it's too late for him to try and rebuild his career.

The comments on the video are 99% positive too. This is what he should have done at the start.

Good luck to him, he finally did the right thing.

• Advertisement

The comments on the video are 99% positive too.
    Maybe I'm overly cynical... like to dislike ratio is something like 4:1. So he has one-fifth dislikes, but vastly positive comments. Seems like there's some filtering of the comments happening.
    This is what he should have done at the start.

Good luck to him, he finally did the right thing.
    100% agree. It'll take time (and a lot of hard work) for things to ramp up for him, but I'd like to see him back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't buy into his apology personally. He fought tooth and nail at the time to deny it and play it down, denying all the other accusations as well (from Chris Scullion etc) and wording it like he wasn't sorry but that he made some 'mistakes'

To me it sounds like he hasn't been able to bounce back as well as he thought and that it's a bigger deal than he thought so he's issued this all encompassing 'apology'. Hard to see him as anything other than shot in the business at any kind of noticeable scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's never going to get a job anywhere again but this apology may be enough to keep him earning a crust on YouTube and eventually Patreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jez, milking it a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I suppose as long as it’s not monetized he can release as many “I’m sorry” videos as he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

kerplun k wrote: »
    I suppose as long as it’s not monetized he can release as many “I’m sorry” videos as he likes.

What are the odds that people are searching for other "I'm sorry" videos to see if he nicked someone else's apology ?

Best comment on that video :
    You should start an apology channel. These are great lol please keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not outside the realms of possibility that, even his Linkedin was copied from a job resume website.

That sounds like a meme joke but it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

100% agree. It'll take time (and a lot of hard work) for things to ramp up for him, but I'd like to see him back on track.

Maybe I'm too unforgiving but I think Filip needs to look into a new career. How anyone could trust his reviews are genuine or original is beyond me. Plagiarism in college can get you expelled. It's probably one of the first things you're taught as a journalism student.

Advertisement