Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women on Wheels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Yes I saw that and would love to go, but can't make this Sunday :(

I like how it's promoted as a listening to women session. Hope it gets a good turnout and goes well.

I'm surprised at their stat which says women only make up 30% of cycling commuters, from what I see during my commuting round Dublin it's way more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I'm surprised at their stat which says women only make up 30% of cycling commuters, from what I see during my commuting round Dublin it's way more than that.

sounds like an interesting idea, look forward to hearing how it goes.

I'm surprised by that stat but from the opposite side - and maybe it varies by route but I'd certainly have estimated less than 30% on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yes it'd be less than 30% on my commute too but perhaps numbers rise the closer to the city you get, I'd imagine way more women cycle along the canals than on my route too. I'm hoping to make it. I'd suggest if you can't go maybe contact Dublin Cycling direct with any issues you'd like mentioned, I'm sure they'd be happy to include them?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Will there be cake? Definitely.

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Good bit less than 30% on my commute too. I'll be deeply hungover from the nationals the day before so I won't make it (unless it rains next sat, sunday is the rain day).
    Cake though. Hmmmm!

Who's going to be listening? I'm (possibly unnecessarily) dubious. What's the point of talking into an echo chamber? It needs to be heard like.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    Good bit less than 30% on my commute too. I'll be deeply hungover from the nationals the day before so I won't make it (unless it rains next sat, sunday is the rain day).
    Cake though. Hmmmm!

Who's going to be listening? I'm (possibly unnecessarily) dubious. What's the point of talking into an echo chamber? It needs to be heard like.

Good question, it could be good to hear each others experiences though and to get some tips on how to handle less favorable situations! I know you'd have some excellent tips. I'd like to see more women taking the lane when cycling, too many are in at the gutter, and speaking up a bit more when they face an issue.

I'd hope too that the concerns/issues raised would be sent on to someone depending on what they are (like DCC or DOT or NTA etc etc) not that they'd necessarily do anything but no harm to generate some publicity around what the issues are for women.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Good question, it could be good to hear each others experiences though and to get some tips on how to handle less favorable situations! I know you'd have some excellent tips. I'd like to see more women taking the lane when cycling, too many are in at the gutter, and speaking up a bit more when they face an issue.

I'd hope too that the concerns/issues raised would be sent on to someone depending on what they are (like DCC or DOT or NTA etc etc) not that they'd necessarily do anything but no harm to generate some publicity around what the issues are for women.

That's a good point, a sharing rather than activist situation.
    I immediately went to activism and advocacy there! :o

Great idea, hopefully loads will turn up. Has it been publicised anywhere else?

Agree re taking the lane, a good proportion of the women I see on bikes are right in the gutter, in and out around cars. Sure there's loads!
    If it gets more women out there on bikes, sharing knowledge, it's a great thing. I was lucky that I started racing with a club with a small but strong female presence, in a sport in cycling that has much better parity than road cycling.
    The more we can share the better!

That's a good point, a sharing rather than activist situation.
    I immediately went to activism and advocacy there! :o

Great idea, hopefully loads will turn up. Has it been publicised anywhere else?

Agree re taking the lane, a good proportion of the women I see on bikes are right in the gutter, in and out around cars. Sure there's loads!
    If it gets more women out there on bikes, sharing knowledge, it's a great thing. I was lucky that I started racing with a club with a small but strong female presence, in a sport in cycling that has much better parity than road cycling.
    The more we can share the better!

I spotted it on twitter and I see they have a FB event here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Good bit less than 30% on my commute too. I'll be deeply hungover from the nationals the day before so I won't make it

Good luck with the Nationals!

Yes, I do cycle along the canal and around the city a lot.
    My commute this morning:
    8.25am - 8.50am

Crumlin Rd, Dolphin's Barn to Ranelagh along the canal, through Ranelagh to Clonskeagh.
    I counted (as well as I could whilst cycling) 51 women on wheels, plus me =52 and I thought this morning was quiet.
    The first 6 cyclists I saw were women which is what made me think to count for the rest of my commute.

I would estimate 40% women commuters and 60% guys.
    If I had a bike camera I could do a proper tally, but I don't.

I saw the WOW event on fb (and shared).

Advertisement