Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amercian Airlines

Options
  • 08-08-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Flying first time with AA next month to NYC just wondering what are they like etc? do they have in flight entertainment snacks etc on board? whats peoples experiences?

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Flying first time with AA next month to NYC just wondering what are they like etc? do they have in flight entertainment snacks etc on board? whats peoples experiences?

Thanks,

Flew with them on our honeymoon - to and from the US and a number of internals.

Wasn't overly impressed to be honest. Almost all points of interaction with customers left a lot to be desired. Food was terrible and in flight entertainment was poor.

Not a patch on Emirates who we flew with to Australia.

I don't know whether AA has improved since - that was 2011 - but I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I am not a fan. Basic enough service. Their call centre seems to be on the Philippines. I couldn't quite understand their accents, they couldn't quite understand mine. I ended up sorting things via twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Flew Seattle to New York a while back so was around a 5 hour flight. Entertainment was very similar to what you get on Aer Lingus transatlantic however American did have a better range of films I think. They didn't give out headphones (they used the standard 3.5mm jack). Got a free soft drink and a snack of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Thanks everyone for yer input- Iv heard very hit and miss got a great deal on a holiday in jan sales so thats why im opted for american airlines. I know it can vary wondering what type of meals etc is on board I know it can vary but just wondering is the snacks free and soft drinks free like in other transatlantic flights? Im flying from Dublin - New York and then New York - Vegas with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Ex Dublin they fly in a 757 to JFK or 767 to Chicago with TV Screens overhead that reminded me of the old crt TVs of the 90's. Only decent thing for me was the food. Internally in the states they are hit and miss. Flew on an A321 about 2 years ago to Philly to Minneapolis and they had replaced the inflight entertainment with an app you had to download and connect to their wifi. Most of the content had to be paid for on it.

• Advertisement

thanks does it mean not everyone has their own screen so for in flight entertainment that sounds a pure disaster i thought it would be at least the screen in front of you like in the aer lingus flights. Just wondering what was the food like i know it will be different in every flight but is there unlimited snacks and soft drinks etc?

thanks does it mean not everyone has their own screen so for in flight entertainment that sounds a pure disaster i thought it would be at least the screen in front of you like in the aer lingus flights. Just wondering what was the food like i know it will be different in every flight but is there unlimited snacks and soft drinks etc?

On the 757 its a tv that is hanging from the ceiling ever 5 rows this will give you an idea https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_MCE_Intl_new.php

Yes there is free soft drinks, alcoholic costs $5 a drink, snacks are generally in domestic flights pretzels. Transatlantic you do get a meal and a snack/breakfast depending on which way your going.

thanks for your feedback on this i will check that out now. bit of a bummer but il get over the entertainment factor. Doesnt look like great reviews on AA but for the price i got my holiday on i will have endure it thanks for your help.

thanks for your feedback on this i will check that out now. bit of a bummer but il get over the entertainment factor. Doesnt look like great reviews on AA but for the price i got my holiday on i will have endure it thanks for your help.

Load up an ipad or tablet with stuff to watch and listen to. Theres an AC Plug at most seats so you can keep yourself entertained for the flight is my advise

looks like i will be doing that, its handy to know before you go and get prepared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

I flew with them from LA to London a few years back (there was no direct flight to Dublin with any air line at the time)
    They dont (Or didnt anyway) have the individual tv sets. It was a hanging screen like from the 80s
    The food wasnt great - but then since when is airplane food? :confused:
    There wasnt anything else for free from what I can remember.

Any other time i've been to the States I have gone with Virgin or Aer Lingus and found the experience to be much better

thanks so much. only reason i flew with AA as i got a great package deal in Jan sales with a travel agent so il stick it out. will bring a tablet and stock on a lunch before I head. I think when i go again il def be travelling Aer Lingus just this deal was too good to pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Agree with everyones thoughts. I was booking for 4 adults and got return flights for end June for EUR400 each DUB-JFK. So price was great.
    Food was average, IFE was as described (basically non-existent), seating very tight, and staff disinterested. Never again. I think I would even try Norwegian next time. They were the same price as AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I have used AA twice to get to North Carolina.

First time was connecting through JFK to Raleigh, as described horrendous flight on out dated aircraft.

The second time was direct Dublin to Charlotte NC which was an excellent flight on an Airbus A330-300. A little further from our planned destination but a one way rental with Avis only cost us $50 for an SUV. I believe this was originally a US Airways route and AA merged and rebranded the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I flew with them Philadelphia/Punta Cana return this month and then Philly Shannon on the way home. It was a bare step up from Ryanair in my opinion. They cancelled our flight out from Shannon so we were given the option to take Aer Finglas to Heathrow and then British Airways on. The seats were very uncomfortable and the entertainment was just centre aisle screens with movies they chose. They did have good wifi to be fair so I would load up a tablet with netflix and work away. Food was decent for plane food but that is an aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Awful airline. Apart from the ridiculous entertainment setup, they lost my husband's diabetic meal. :rolleyes: He took the regular meal and not long after that they found the diabetic meal, which turned out to be salmon in sweet chilli sauce. Might as well have given him a bowl of sugar. I could give out all night about them.

I don't buy the 'it's cheap' excuse either. Air Canada Rouge is cheap too and their service and food is in a different league. We had some issues with the entertainment system, but at least you had a choice of what to watch.

You couldn't pay me to fly American Airlines again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I never feel the need to have to watch the IFE - I nap, read or listen to music - surely you can manage without for a few hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Flew with from Dublin to Chicago - bland food.
    Internal flight - pretzels and a drink
    They would win no food awards, but once they get one safely from destination to the next I wouldn't complain.
    On the opposite end is Virgin Atlantic, great food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Their DUB - CLT / PHL flights are A330. Both have IFE and now also have Premium Economy fitted and you can sometimes find some nice deals on it over regular economy.

Their seasonal DUB - ORD flights are now on a 787 which will be fitted with Premium Economy over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

In the past year or so they have been retiring the older aircraft and bringing in the next generation 787. Service is generally fine. Definitely not as good as European or Middle East airlines, but I've generally had no complaints about them.

In terms of IFE, I've always brought my own tablet or whatever with movies and tv shows. Rarely used the IFE. With netflix and amazon prime you can download certain titles to your tablet, so go with that or get a big snooze on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement