Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kitchen layout review

• 08-08-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi Folks, anyone willing to critique a kitchen layout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The window seat boxes will end up being a dumping ground and hard to organise or keep anything tidy. I would go with drawers.
    The freezer in the larder bank will generate heat in the two ajoining units, ditto for the fridge, no reason not to put them together.
    The under counter freezer should be the other side if you plan to use it daily.
    The cooker has no extraction point and you will end up having to clean the window daily.
    Where are you storing the pots pans and day to day dishes?
    Is that counter running into the corner dead space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

The window seat boxes will end up being a dumping ground and hard to organise or keep anything tidy. I would go with drawers.
    The freezer in the larder bank will generate heat in the two ajoining units, ditto for the fridge, no reason not to put them together.
    The under counter freezer should be the other side if you plan to use it daily.
    The cooker has no extraction point and you will end up having to clean the window daily.
    Where are you storing the pots pans and day to day dishes?
    Is that counter running into the corner dead space?

We were going for the Bora hob with integrated extractor, yes cleaning the window is something which might push us to the island with the hob. I like the idea of keeping the island relatively clean but we have to balance that with having to clean the window everytime after cooking. We might take the second sink out of the island too?
    The under counter freezer will probably go. The reason the freezer is separate to the fridge is to create more storage closer to the workspace, the freezer is not used as regularly as a larder press I think, but it is good food for thought.

Pots and pans will be under the hob in drawers and the dishes will be in the island across from the dishwasher.

yes the counter is running in to the corner deadspace, the plan is for a lift up door and that will then be an appliance garage of sorts, toaster blender etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Can I ask who did your drawings? Did you do them yourself or get someone else to do them.

Looking to get some plans done myself

Thanks

frogstar wrote: »
    Can I ask who did your drawings? Did you do them yourself or get someone else to do them.

Looking to get some plans done myself

Thanks

These are the architects so no kitchen designer involved yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

The integrated extraction hobs are no good I've fitted lots of them steam rises and if you have a big pot it's no good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

keithdub wrote: »
    The integrated extraction hobs are no good I've fitted lots of them steam rises and if you have a big pot it's no good

Always wondered that.. would want to be 4 leaf blowers to be worth it I always thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Our experience of magic corner units is that they're awful. Always a struggle with them to get them in and out propely. A carousel type unit might be better?

Why two sinks? Also on sinks, i know these drawings are preliminary but we really find a middle half bowl with basket to be a necessity. Wouldn't have a sink without one.

I'd be more concerned about splattering on the window from cooking than steam. The extractor in those hobs seems very effective, and steam wipes off, but oil based splattering from food is much more of a hassle.

Our experience of magic corner units is that they're awful. Always a struggle with them to get them in and out propely. A carousel type unit might be better?

Why two sinks? Also on sinks, i know these drawings are preliminary but we really find a middle half bowl with basket to be a necessity. Wouldn't have a sink without one.

I'd be more concerned about splattering on the window from cooking than steam. The extractor in those hobs seems very effective, and steam wipes off, but oil based splattering from food is much more of a hassle.

Ill keep the carousel in mind, Ive had problems with both carousels and the magic corners, when something falls behind them they get all jammed up so which is better?

The idea behind two sinks is that the main sink is quite a bit away from fridge/larder so it might be convenient to have a sink as close to the food for prepping? Maybe this is totally unnecessary so it should go, thats what my wife says anyway but im not sure. If you chop on the island and are going over back to the sink to wash you will be splashing water over the floor which could be annoying.

Yes middle basket is sink is definitely necessary.

Would you swap the hob to the island and lose out on having the island clean or would you suck it up and clean the window after cooking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Another thing to keep in mind is to not have too much space between your counters and you island. If its more that a large step away it can make it just a bit of a pain when cooking i find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

You could put the hob in the island then you could have an over head extractor here is how it could look its a kitchen i done Photo0006.jpg That island has 20 drawers in it, drawers are a lot better as things don't got lost in the back of the unit.

• Advertisement

You could put the hob in the island then you could have an over head extractor here is how it could look its a kitchen i done Photo0006.jpg That island has 20 drawers in it, drawers are a lot better as things don't got lost in the back of the unit.

That's a gorgeous kitchen, what is the timber, walnut veneer?

jimmy_t wrote: »
    That's a gorgeous kitchen, what is the timber, walnut veneer?
    The island is solid walnut drawer fronts and side gables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am concerned that you would hit your hip on the corner of the island as you went from fridge to the hob or from sink to oven.

The idea of having a separate sink for dishes and ingredient prep is interesting. I don't know if it is too relevant in this day and age of dishwashers though.

Personally, if I were doing a biggish kitchen now, I would try to have two dishwashers, work out of one and into the other. You can get a split dishwasher designed for this too. This is all highly controversial of course. Many people think even one dishwasher is a waste of space and two is just outrageous.

Back on the food prep sink on island - with the layout you have, you actually need it, so the sink is near where the food is stored. If you don't have it, it's a very long walk from where the food is stored to the sink.

I would be inclined to have the oven and hob a bit closer together. It's just for handiness. The odd time something needs to move from one to the other. If you have a hot dish from the oven, sometimes it can be handy to put it down on the cooker to avoid damaging surfaces.

Are the walks around this kitchen just too far? Do you really need that much cold storage, split in different places? It is up to you really. I would think about whether you need such a big kitchen. You could make the kitchen a bit smaller and allow more room for eating/milling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am also in the market for a new kitchen, tossing the 25 yr old , have bought the oven grill and microwave to be built in, micro on top and double oven under micro, they look good, also have bought the induction oven, and now looking at fridge freezer combo fridge above freezer type, and am at a loss with it, hoping to put all on one wall, and using the peninsula as a prep area, having the sink dishwasher on the short wall, getting rid of gas, in the process, And reading posts above, I WAS GOING TO USE THE MAGIC CORNERS, THIS INFORMATION IS PUTTING ME OFF THAT IDEA

goat2 wrote: »
    I am also in the market for a new kitchen, tossing the 25 yr old , have bought the oven grill and microwave to be built in, micro on top and double oven under micro, they look good, also have bought the induction oven, and now looking at fridge freezer combo fridge above freezer type, and am at a loss with it, hoping to put all on one wall, and using the peninsula as a prep area, having the sink dishwasher on the short wall, getting rid of gas, in the process, And reading posts above, I WAS GOING TO USE THE MAGIC CORNERS, THIS INFORMATION IS PUTTING ME OFF THAT IDEA
    Look up Le Mans Carousel i have fitted hundreds or them never had any problems. The Le Mans cost around €350 and the Magic corner is around €190. Them magic corners are ok but theirs so many bits to them for something to go wrong, with the Le Mans all you have is two shelves four bars to hold shelves connected to a pole nothing that can break easy.

Advertisement