Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and Strikes --> read mod note(s) post 4&7. Thanks,

Options
  • 25-07-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

With Ryanair announcing further strikes ,one for the 4th August is it affecting anyone on here and what are you doing to change or make alternative travel arrangements?

I'm booked to Fly on a family holiday 12th August.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'm booked on a flight on the 16th August and also have 2 flights in September. My advice? Don't worry about it until anything further is announced. If your flight is affected, look at the options presented to you but until such a point, assume your flight is going ahead.

Just to add also, it's only a small percentage of Irish flights that have been affected so far and only high frequency UK routes to minimise disruption. Chances are that this will remain the case if and when strikes continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Strike is for 3rd of August. There is a large thread on this already

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread closed by me.

I'll direct you to the Aviation&Aircraft thread right here and ask that you read the Mod-warning in Post#1

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Please delete mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Hoping to book a last min holiday to Lanzarote from Shannon ( or any other Sun destination from there) Seems Ryanair only airline to fly to sun destinations from there. Just wonder will strike def affect me if booked holiday from there? Just afraid lose out on money for accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thread closed by me.

I'll direct you to the Aviation&Aircraft thread right here and ask that you read the Mod-warning in Post#1

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Mod-Note:

re: Ryanair Strike(s) I shall redirect you to the Aviation&Aircraft forum and to ANother thread here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ichabod

Has anyone received compensation yet from Ryanair for cancellation of flight due to the pilots' strike. Has Ryanair changed its stance that these cancellations are due to " extraordinary circumstances " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Im open to correction, but from what I have read
    RY may have to pay compensation EU261 for strikes within RY

for other strikes , ATC, etc, no compensation EU261

k123456 wrote: »
    Im open to correction, but from what I have read
    RY may have to pay compensation EU261 for strikes within RY

for other strikes , ATC, etc, no compensation EU261

Ryanair, up to the end of last month at least, insisted that the strikes were due to
    " extraordinary circumstances " and stated it would not pay compensation. The Regulator here, the CAA in the UK and the EU Court of Justice say otherwise. So, unless Ryanair falls in line, the war is only beginning.
    As an aside, should the unions calling the strikes not also have to pay or contribute to compensation ? The logic for the ruling that airline should pay compensation as a result of strikes by an airline's own staff is that the strikes are within the airline's control. Well, it seems to me that strikes are within the control of the unions and their members as well.
    The requirement to give at least two weeks' notice to passengers of flight cancellations otherwise pay up is flawed, certainly from an airline's perspective. In Ireland, a union must served a minimum of 7 days notice of strike action on an employer and that is exactly what all unions do. So, if passengers must be given 14 days notice of cancellations for an airline to escape compensation payments, could Ryanair argue that this is not possible in an Irish context and that the strikes are indeed " extraordinary circumstances " from an aviation regulation perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

I think the argument would be that the airline has control over their own labour relationship, and should be aware of the possibility of strikes before they happen and should take measures to avoid them if possible (by coming to a reasonable agreement with the union in good time), or plan accordingly to minimize service disruptions if they can't, and if they fail to do either then the airline bears the responsibility for failing to provide the agreed service to their passengers. Strikes are a tool of last resort in a labour negotiation; it's not like the union pilots just wake up one day and go "Hey guys, let's go on strike next week, it'll be fun!" out of the blue. The possibility of a strike should negotiations fail would certainly be known to Ryanair well ahead of time even if the exact date and details were not.

On the other hand, if, say, French air traffic controllers go on strike, Ryanair obviously has zero control over the French ATC labour relationship and has no capability to prevent a strike there, so that would truly be "exceptional circumstances" out of Ryanair's control. Same with weather delays and such; O'Leary ain't actually God, whatever he might think of himself, so he can't stop the hurricanes or keep the volcanoes from erupting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I'm curious what has happened in practice recently with EU 261 and RY strikes,

Have RY refused to pay
    has the small claims court or Aviation Regulator here intervened and forced RY to pay

k123456 wrote: »
    I'm curious what has happened in practice recently with EU 261 and RY strikes,

Have RY refused to pay
    has the small claims court or Aviation Regulator here intervened and forced RY to pay

Basically, that's what my opening post asked. There is plenty of advice on legal rights and how to claim but I cannot find anything which says Ryanair has coughed up, either voluntarily or by direction. I assume that no one has received compensation yet as surely this would be news.
    Another question. A passenger has checked in on line. The flight is canceled. The passenger accepts an alternative flight for the next day. Am I correct in that the passenger would have to check in once again for the alternative flight? And would already reserved seats still apply ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They would have to check in and take whatever seats are available.

They would have to check in and take whatever seats are available.

So would that be another refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry for barging in lads as I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I have a quick question about RyanAir. I saw the mega-thread on the strikes and I tried asking there but they're on a whole other wavelength talking about the aviation indutry.

Anyhow, ny family are meant to fly next Friday (aug 17th) to London. My wife thinks they're probably going to strike every Friday and we should be worried.

Does anyone have any idea if they plan to keep strike Friday, Aug 17 and if would affect our plans to London? Should we be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are planning a weekend to visit family in France. We have a choice of flying with Ryanair which would be closer to our destination in France and half the price of the other national carrier but I am worried about Strikes and cancellations. This is a family celebration so we would hate to miss it but am struggling with paying double the price.

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Flights to France seem to be ok. Uk flights seem to be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Davio

Apparently some Ryanair workers are supposed to be staging a strike on 28 September. Does anybody know how much notice they give you if your flight is going to be cancelled?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement