Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patch test and hair dye

Options
  • 08-08-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Ive booked a salon appointment for Monday to get my hair dyed, Ive never had it dyed in a salon before but have used box dyes at home with no issues. It only dawned on me that I wasnt offered a patch test? Im concerned about reacting to the dye. Do salons usually offer patch tests or do you have to ask for them? I should have asked as my skins quite sensitive but just didnt think about it. I wont make it into the Salon as im going away for the weekend. Wondering should I cancel the appointment until another time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

They should have offered you a patch test and arranged for you to come in a few days before the appointment. I've been to salons where I've signed a waiver without doing the patch test (no idea on how 'legal' that is) but most salons I've been to won't colour hair without a patch test.

Maybe phone and ask what you should do, but be prepared that they may cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Valentina wrote: »
    They should have offered you a patch test and arranged for you to come in a few days before the appointment. I've been to salons where I've signed a waiver without doing the patch test (no idea on how 'legal' that is) but most salons I've been to won't colour hair without a patch test.

Maybe phone and ask what you should do, but be prepared that they may cancel.

Thanks Valentina, I was waiting around in town today and had a little bit of time to spare, I was walking past a hair salon and thought id go in and just price what I wanted done to see what theyd say, the hairdresser went through everything with me, told me about treatments I can get to stop dye from damaging my hair and offered to write everything down for me too, they were slightly more expensive but seemed to take more care. The hairdresser in the other salon didnt go through anything, offer any treatments or suggest patch test. I might cancel the appointment now and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Sounds like you found a good salon! Was this in Dublin? I am in need of a new colour myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Any salon that asks you to sign a waiver, walk away as that’s shockingly unprofessional and a bit stupid too.
    Unlike in the States, you can’t really consent to being harmed so any waivers can be used by the plaintiff to prove that the salon knew they were acting recklessly.

If they don’t recommend a patch test, it’s a sign to me of low standards.
    What other shortcuts will they take?
    Adequately sanitising their combs and scissors between clients?
    Re-using towels on clients without washing them...?
    A few salons are truly disgusting!

Advertisement