Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cappagh park all-weather pitches

Options
  • 08-08-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I have passed by Cappagh park recently, I noticed they have put up new all weather pitches in there. I am very interested in setting up a weekly evening game with people in the area, does anyone know what's the story with these new pitches, are they available to rent?

Who can I contact about this does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I have passed by Cappagh park recently, I noticed they have put up new all weather pitches in there. I am very interested in setting up a weekly evening game with people in the area, does anyone know what's the story with these new pitches, are they available to rent?

Who can I contact about this does anyone know?
    There is a centre open there at times, you could see if they can direct you. If you are stuck, the mayor is on fb and local to there, he could direct you. Western Distributor Road has an fb, they may know being based there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Try knocknacarra fc but otherwise just turn up and maybe just go use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Try knocknacarra fc but otherwise just turn up and maybe just go use it?
    It'll be locked if not in use. Usually there's a timetable and fee for the use of an astro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

First port of call would be the receptionist in the community centre. He organises booking of rooms in the centre so should be able to let you know how to book the pitches too. The Facebook is Knocknacarra community centre and dressing room facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They also have a phone number: https://goo.gl/maps/i9qG42n2TL62

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Many thanks for the help guys, from what I have read its licenced by the council to knocknacarra fc. Unfortunately there's no floodlights due to objections from local residents, so I am not as keen on it as I was to begin with. Might still be handy while we still have the sunlight for it anyways have sent them an email enquiring about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Are the AstroTurfs at Drom (Salthill Devon) or near Corrib village NUIG any use to you? Can’t remember if they have floodlights or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Westside Astro? Does that have floodlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Many thanks for the help guys, from what I have read its licenced by the council to knocknacarra fc. Unfortunately there's no floodlights due to objections from local residents, so I am not as keen on it as I was to begin with. Might still be handy while we still have the sunlight for it anyways have sent them an email enquiring about it.
    How does the license work ? I presume 100% of the money for the facility came from government funds, but now the facility is controlled by one club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

thebackbar wrote: »
    How does the license work? I presume 100% of the money for the facility came from government funds, but now the facility is controlled by one club ?
    Like most funding. The club will have applied for the funding and others may be able to use it on occasion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

thebackbar wrote: »
    How does the license work ? I presume 100% of the money for the facility came from government funds, but now the facility is controlled by one club ?

The government may have paid for the capital works, but they don't fund the operations: public liability insurance, publicity, bookings, cleaning, security (locking and unlocking), power bill, toilet paper, light bulbs etc.

Typically a community group is chosen to do that. They may get some funding, or they may be expected to be self-sufficient thru venue hire.

Advertisement