Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get out of this fix?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Any sensible suggestions on how I get out of this fix please?
    I could probably try to cut the valve stem and let out some air.
    Or I could sit around for a few months and let the pressure go down so that I can push the stem up into the tyre (where I started from).
    Or is there some magic solution that I'm missing?
    Spare me the wise-cracks please - I'm just not in the mood :mad::mad::mad:
    457807.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

1. stick the smallest diameter pin you can find into the tyre to let the air out
    2. Break the valve stem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Is that not a threaded sleeve?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

If climcher, stick a needle through the tire. No long term damage to the tire but you'll have punctured the tube giving you enough wiggle room

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If its a clincher I'd suffer the loss of the tube and cut the valve with wire cutters.

If its a clincher I'd suffer the loss of the tube and cut the valve with wire cutters.

Is that not a tub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

It's a clincher. " Open Corsa"
    You can see the" en Corsa"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Agreed, tiny pin through the tyre. Along the rolling edge, not in the sidewall. Tube is useless anyway, right, you can't use it with those wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

paper clip into the pump head see if you can open the valve against the air pressure, if not then pin into tube idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Is the golden coloured piece a valve extender or the actual valve? If an extender, it will have leaked all the air out overnight anyway (in my experience!)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

It looks like a vittoria latex tube valve, give it 2 days and it will be at 50psi by then.

Or drill a tiny hole in the valve. I'd just wait if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

How did you get air into it? Sorry, I'm a bit slow this evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

How did you get air into it? Sorry, I'm confused.

How did you get air into it? Sorry, I'm confused.

Through the valve extension I assume ... and as the tube expanded it forced the valve downwards and jammed it against the cutout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Deffo looks like the valve of a vittoria latex tube.
    Leave it for a few days ,as said above, the air will naturally seep out and you will get enough leeway to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭flatty

I'd give it a day or two if you can afford to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Looks like it's time for N+1

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

nordicb wrote: »
    It looks like a vittoria latex tube valve, give it 2 days and it will be at 50psi by then.

Or drill a tiny hole in the valve. I'd just wait if possible

You know your valve stems pretty well! It's a "Michelin A1 AirComp Latex Road Bike Tube". It's gone down a little bit but it seems like a long way off being able to push the valve back up.
    But I'm a cheapskate and don't want to damage the tube if possible so will sit it out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Yup, same valve actually, have these on my mtb. Wonder still, how you are planning to use the tube on these wheels - still need to inflate somehow - nothing will fit there it seems, shorter valve seems the only way to go here? Can't recall they offer any other lengths, have to use extenders on road wheels myself.

Advertisement