Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruagh Road

Options
  • 08-08-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Was planning a quick spin up the mountains after work and Cruagh road is one I haven't been up in a while. I went down the descent there on Sunday and it seems the road is closed just past the turn towards Tibradden road. Anyone know if it's passable on a bike at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Koobcam wrote: »
    Was planning a quick spin up the mountains after work and Cruagh road is one I haven't been up in a while. I went down the descent there on Sunday and it seems the road is closed just past the turn towards Tibradden road. Anyone know if it's passable on a bike at the moment?

Yes it's passable on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Koobcam wrote: »

It is. It's narrow in places though

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Thanks, will chance it so, saves me a few km

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A controversial deep excavation for development took place at the side of the road some time ago which the council believes has weakened the integrity of the road. As far as I know they are trying to pursue the developer to rectify it. Locals are really pissed off about it and want the council to rectify it first and then go after the developer.

As has been said, it passable by foot or bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A controversial deep excavation for development took place at the side of the road some time ago which the council believes has weakened the integrity of the road. As far as I know they are trying to pursue the developer to rectify it. Locals are really pissed off about it and want the council to rectify it first and then go after the developer.

As has been said, it passable by foot or bicycle.

By developer he means an individual not a company. Its been just over 260 days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

and for controversial read illegal!

Rathfarnham road closure following illegal excavation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

**** sake I didn't know why it was closed that's enraging! I've popped by on the bike a few times since it's been closed and it's grand.

The sheer ignorance, neck and lack of consideration are staggering, wtf was he thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

10/10 reporting there IT.

ngJTOQW.png

BTW I'd love to know if this Mr Malak is the same one that runs Damascus Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    BTW I'd love to know if this Mr Malak is the same one that runs Damascus Gate.

No, that's a different Ghandi Mallak. Very common name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Lumen wrote: »
    No, that's a different Ghandi Mallak. Very common name.

From an earlier article in the Irish Times - it is the owner of Damascus Gate

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-at-centre-of-dublin-mountains-road-closure-row-in-talks-with-insurers-1.3553834
    Mr Mallak, who came to Ireland in 2001 and now runs the Damascus Gate Syrian and Lebanese restaurant in Upper Camden Street, Dublin, was stated by his barrister Proinsias Maolchalain to be developing an agricultural area at the site of the excavations for the purpose of producing specific food produce for his restaurant.
    South Dublin County Council closed the road in November last after excavations at the Rockbrook site, between the Edmondstown Road and the Owendoher River embankment, led to fears it might collapse.
    Stephen Dodd, counsel for the local authority, told Judge Linnane that an Enforcement Notice had been served on Mr Mallak on November 15th, 2017 requiring emergency remedial work by him to reinstate the roadway but nothing had been done in over seven months.

I don't agree with the locals saying the council should fix the road first and then go after him as they never would get the costs back from the mess he has created.

Hypothetically, if I were local and had some farm equipment, I might drop some boulders at his very nice front gate. Hypothetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

groovyg wrote: »
    From an earlier article in the Irish Times - it is the owner of Damascus Gate...
    Yup - when Primetime did a feature on it a while back, the culprit was described as a 'well known chef' or words to that effect.

Advertisement