Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kay Burley of Sky news compares burqa to war veterans burned face

Comments

Honestly can't decide whether that woman is monumentally stupid or a highly sophisticated troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well done to man she was interviewing who answered her back when caught on the hop . Kay Burley is not worth even getting worked up about , she is a silly immature girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Kay Burley is an attention grabbing fool, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

She some fcuking moronic dose-bag alright.

Very disrespectful towards Weston.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

davo2001 wrote: »
    Kay Burley is an attention grabbing fool, plain and simple.

THE ENTIRE EASTERN SEABOARD OF THE US IS UNDER ATTACK!!!

She'll never live that one down. Not a reporter of any note.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sensationalist Murdoch sycophant versus Maggie war veteran.

Which way will the Mail commenters go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think she is a fool in general but it seems like a perfectly valid AH question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

It makes me utterly cringe when I see the mainstream pandering to a dress which is utterly ridiculous. Seeing what people look like is a huge part of communication in society. Women being repressed by men who can't bear the thought of another man looking at one of his 5 wives.

All Boris done is just say what millions of people in the UK are thinking when they see it in the street or wherever.

Taytoland wrote: »
    It makes me utterly cringe when I see the mainstream pandering to a dress which is utterly ridiculous. Seeing what people look like is a huge part of communication in society. Women being repressed by men who can't bear the thought of another man looking at one of his 5 wives.

All Boris done is just say what millions of people in the UK are thinking when they see it in the street or wherever.

I cannot abide Boris Johnson but I'm so in his corner on this one.

Why should he apologise ??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm sure that sounded like a slam dunk retort in her head. I can see the angle she's going for, but...oh dear.

When a Monumental Idiot meets an Unbelievable Buffoon, anything can happen.

• Advertisement

I cannot abide Boris Johnson but I'm so in his corner on this one.

Why should he apologise ??!!
    He shouldn't and I don't think he will. Theresa May is upset because she knows in 6 months he will have her job and she will be finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He shouldn't and I don't think he will. Theresa May is upset because she knows in 6 months he will have her job and she will be finished.

He wont have her job, but i do agree she will probably be gone

I dont think he needs to apologise. Or attend 'cultural awareness' classes as one sky news Interviewe said

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

I dont think he needs to apologise. Or attend 'cultural awareness' classes as one sky news Interviewe said

I deal with lots of students from Middle Eastern countries. They are coming to Ireland and yet we are the ones who have to attend COMPULSORY cultural awareness classes!!!!

Oh and soon there will be sexual consent workshops. Compulsory for all.

Well, unless you claim a religious objection. Hmmm.

Got as good a chance as anyone which is probably why he said it. A lot of the members will agree with the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

I think he would of had her job till this happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

I understand the role of a good journalist is to momentarily take the position that opposes whoever you are interviewing in order to test the strength and validity of their arguments but... my god Burley appears to be just so bad at it. I’d say the production team had to uncurl their toes after that comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another Muslim thread? Obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Got as good a chance as anyone which is probably why he said it. A lot of the members will agree with the statement.

Bring back David Cameron

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

She is the Donald Trump of News Reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Anyone have an opinion about Boris Johnson saying that women in burkas look like letterboxes? I started giving my opinion here but I deleted it because my prejudice was coming through and I try not to be prejudiced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I deal with lots of students from Middle Eastern countries. They are coming to Ireland and yet we are the ones who have to attend COMPULSORY cultural awareness classes!!!!

Oh and soon there will be sexual consent workshops. Compulsory for all.

Well, unless you claim a religious objection. Hmmm.

Basically treating you and other natives like muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Anyone have an opinion about Boris Johnson saying that women in burkas look like letterboxes?
    It's probably best if your a former senior politician, [aspiring senior politician?], not to say it.
    "There's nothing in bad taste as long as it's funny". Is that an acceptable stance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm so conflicted about the Burqa. Torn between my libertarian disdain for any rules at all around public dress, and my desire to see deliberately raising children to have sexually or socially repressed personalities and inferiority complexes considered child abuse, religiously motivated or otherwise.

If an adult chooses to wear such garments that's cool, but if the indoctrination into that from adult relatives or educators begins while they're still a kid or teenager, in my view that's just the epitome of the word "vile".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm so conflicted about the Burqa. Torn between my libertarian disdain for any rules at all around public dress, and my desire to see deliberately raising children to have sexually or socially repressed personalities and inferiority complexes considered child abuse, religiously motivated or otherwise.

If an adult chooses to wear such garments that's cool, but if the indoctrination into that from adult relatives or educators begins while they're still a kid or teenager, in my view that's just the epitome of the word "vile".

I was in Heathrow airport a few years ago and there was a girl in a wheel chair wearing one.
    Not only had the poor girl to deal with a disability, but had that nonsense forced on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

indioblack wrote: »
    It's probably best if your a former senior politician, [aspiring senior politician?], not to say it.
    "There's nothing in bad taste as long as it's funny". Is that an acceptable stance?

My thoughts exactly. In race relations, sensitivity matters a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She's really fallen away in recent years, Sky News have nowhere near the coverage they once had, a lot of folk got fed up with this kind of stuff in particular.

"Sadness in his eyes" was one of the best things she's ever done though. She was 100% earnest when she said it too.

2E76EB0E00000578-0-image-m-3_1447590257801.jpg

https://metro.co.uk/2015/11/15/paris-attacks-kay-burleys-tweet-about-a-sad-dog-didnt-exactly-get-the-response-she-hoped-for-5502792/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think most people are ambivalent about the Burqa to be fair, it's not just you.

On the one hand you don't want to dictate what people to choose to wear, but on the other there's the knowledge that many women don't really have the choice. They may as well be walking around with dog collars on and attached to leads.

One thing we need to get over is any notion that criticism of the Burqa should be avoided. It's weird for me to be on the side of conservative politicians, but he's right. And Johnson is right. Talking to someone whose face is covered, is uncomfortable. Crowds of people with their face uncovered, are disconcerting. Facial expressions are a key component of effective communication, and with that removed, a huge chunk of context and intent is completely lost. You may as well send text messages.

And it's OK to say that, because these people choose to cover their face. So I should be able to say, "It makes me uncomfortable trying to talk to you with that thing over your face", because that's a choice you've made.

And while there's the obvious issue that Muslim women who wear it may be too scared to remove it, that doesn't mean we should suddenly respect it.

Quite the opposite. Feel free to wear it, or insist that your religion needs it. But I'm still going to call it out for the ridiculously anti-social and mysogynystic piece of cloth that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Burley (like Bo'Jo' the clown) is a firm believer in 'any publicity is good publicity'.

• Site Banned Posts: 120 ✭✭Lash Into The Pints

The burka should be banned. You want to live in my country? Ok but take your bin liner off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The burka should be banned. You want to live in my country? Ok but take your bin liner off.

*YAWN*

I deal with lots of students from Middle Eastern countries.  They are coming to Ireland and yet we are the ones who have to attend COMPULSORY cultural awareness classes!!!!

Oh and soon there will be sexual consent workshops.  Compulsory for all.

Well, unless you claim a religious objection.  Hmmm.
    People should refuse to attend such brainwashing classes.

People should refuse to attend such brainwashing classes.

I quite agree but basically the Irish, North American, UK, European etc etc students have no choice.

Now that is discrimination, and it's happening here in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Does the same apply to your pals in the Klan, Donald?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You come to our country to hide in a Black All-over Shroud . You completely disrespect our culture with this adult Peek a Boo . It should be made plain and simple from the start that if you come here you show your face .

Edgware wrote: »
    Does the same apply to your pals in the Klan, Donald?
    Are you just pretending to be retarded or are you genuinely challenged?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

I actually agree with Mr Johnson. Screw it. I said it. He is right and many many agree with him.

I actually agree with Mr Johnson. Screw it. I said it. He is right and many many agree with him.

Did you see the Met were investigating whether what he said became a "hate crime" ?

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Madame Commissioner of the MET has said it is not a hate crime.

Mr Bean is on the side of Boris.

Liberals btfo as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did you see the Met were investigating whether what he said became a "hate crime" ?

FFS.
    Madame Commissioner of the MET has said it is not a hate crime.

That was quick

• Advertisement

That was quick

To be fair to Cressida Dick she does shoot first and ask questions later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Would Sky have a presenter in a Burka / Niqab ?

Would the Public have Trust Issues with someone in a Burka / Niqab as a presenter .

Would they expect to see that Persons Face ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

seamus wrote: »
    They may as well be walking around with dog collars on and attached to leads.

Kinky...
    Feel free to wear it, or insist that your religion needs it.

Islam doesn't require it at all - it's just a cultural desire in some very backward societies to treat women like filth.

Scrap the cap!

Kinky...

Islam doesn't require it at all - it's just a cultural desire in some very backward societies to treat women like filth.

So true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To be fair to Cressida Dick she does shoot first and ask questions later.

Just what you'd expect from a... Cressida

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

razorblunt wrote: »
    She's really fallen away in recent years, Sky News have nowhere near the coverage they once had, a lot of folk got fed up with this kind of stuff in particular.

"Sadness in his eyes" was one of the best things she's ever done though. She was 100% earnest when she said it too.

2E76EB0E00000578-0-image-m-3_1447590257801.jpg

https://metro.co.uk/2015/11/15/paris-attacks-kay-burleys-tweet-about-a-sad-dog-didnt-exactly-get-the-response-she-hoped-for-5502792/
    Screen-Shot-2015-11-15-at-20.12.19.png

Advertisement