Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank asking for Passport etc to verify a/c

• 08-08-2018 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

Ulster Bank refused to process my Partners mortgage payment last month as he hadn’t brought in his & my passport details for verification, we have been banking with them for 20 years! Anyone know why they want this all of a sudden?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,106 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Money laundering legislation. It's likely your partner never used photo ID to establish the account, back then it wasn't required or may have been just looked at and no record of it taken.

It would be likely they would have received notification in the post prior to this telling them they needed to verify their details before x date.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Banks are required to "Know their customer" and part of that process is holding up-to-date proof of identification, such as a passport: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/financial_institutions/financial_institutions_and_identification.html

As AtlanticDawn said, the account may have been opened before proof of ID was a requirement, but financial institutions have to have the details on file, or they can refuse to let you operate the account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Thanks guys, that would be right, I was wondering why BOI have never asked me as the rules would have been the same, but it does make sense then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,227 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think financial institutions require customers to update photo id/proof of address every few years.
    My CU has had me do this anyhow.
    Nothing to worry about OP.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement