Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on cloud Storage

Options
  • 08-08-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can someone please offer some advice on cloud storage.

What I want to do is upload the contents of my laptop hard drive as I intend to sell it. I then want to be able to access/download these files or some of them (music, images, film, work files, etc) on an ad hoc basis to a new laptop. I also want to be able to access/download files to my smartphone and tablet when required, say I want to show someone some pics I took that are stored on the cloud, I want to be able to download them to phone/tablet while still keeping a copy on the cloud.

I was looking at Sync.com as they came out on top of a google search but nothing like getting a real world view from the boardsies!!

Any help greatly appreciated,

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I am in a similar situation.
    I was looking at tge WD MyCloud drives.

Anybody have an opinion on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

dropbox and google drive are just as fine, including if pay for the extra space.

However if privacy is your thing you should look at Tresorit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you are in the realm of pay services here.

so i have used a few but the one that stood out for me was mozypro. Its a backup and cloud storage solution, but the personal use licence is reasonably priced, and i would highly recommend it for security and reliability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

One thing people don't take into account when looking to store all this data, is that it could take you a long time to upload it.

You may be better off with an External Hard Drive which would be the quickest way to arrange what you are looking for?

cant access external hdd from ios and other mobile devices.
    can only access from one client as a time
    need to have the HDD with you.

but it would be quick and inexpensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

OP, would you consider a NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

OP, I think you could split your requirements in two.
    For the backup/restore problem, an external HDD would be quicker and cheaper.
    For the file sharing, you sign up for a cloud solution, but restrict the use to files that are worth sharing, so that you don't need a lot of storage.

For example, Google Drive is free for 15GB, and 2 euro/mo for 100Gb. These could be sufficient for photos and documents sharing, but not enough for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

cant access external hdd from ios and other mobile devices. can only access from one client as a time need to have the HDD with you.

Yeah you can. I have a wd my cloud. It's on my network. I can use Asus file manager on my mobile to access it. And there is an app specifically for it too.

then its not just an external HDD. Its a NAS & is being discussed above.

Advertisement