Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing 101

Options
  • 08-08-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I wanted to take up fishing as a hobby and I'm looking for a kind 101 course in it. Does anyone have any tips on spots in Dublin, what I should be catching when and the best gear to use.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A very broad question.

Golf is golf, soccer is soccer - fishing is not fishing.

Have you thought about what you want to catch? Trout, Coarse fish, predators, sea species - sharks etc.

Do you envisage travelling to fish - if not, Whats near you? The ocean - streams, rivers, lakes?

Each method is different for the above - requiring different gear - I am pretty much a fly, and sea fisherman - but have coarse gear and predator gear too. I probably have about 12 rods to meet my needs depending on the target species.

I desperately do not want to put you off - I want you to fish - it will be one of the best life choices you can make, but, have you any idea at all what way you want to start?

So generally, as kids we all usually start coarse fishing - it's pretty easy and leads into predator fishing quite easily.

Fly fishing is harder to begin, learn and master, it is probably a lifelong investment of time and a commitment to forms of study and research.

Sea fishing is not as hard as fly fishing to learn, it's similar to coarse, but "bigger" and generally more expensive.

A beginner coarse angler will get started for around €50 minimum, fly fisherman about €70 - sea fisherman €100 if your lucky. But dont be fooled - you will spend a good mortgage on fishing over your lifetime :D

Have a think on what you want to do - or if your not sure, whats easiest to start - are there any clubs near you for particular styles? (loads in dublin)

Anyway let us know the above - if you want to pm me anything feel free!

Advertisement