Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize bonds value

• 08-08-2018 8:48pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've been left 44 year old prize bonds worth £45 old money.
    What sort of money are they worth now, is it simply face value or have they accrued anything over the years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

They don' accrue. IRL £45 is approx €57. £1 = €1.27.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

I recently transferred some Prize Bonds I got from my own Dad eons ago in IRL£ to my own son, and there was just a straight IRL£->EUR conversion on the value. No accrual as EverythingGood said, but it might be worthwhile checking the numbers, to see if there are any unclaimed winnings : https://www.statesavings.ie/prize-bonds ; see Check my Numbers, but it only goes back six months, you can always ring them as ask for them to check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Prize Bonds are part of the national debt but instead of paying interest direct to investors as happens with regular Govt. Bonds (also known as 'gilts'), the payout to Prize Bond investors is via the prize draws. The nominal value never changes and you can redeem than at any stage for the original value. Clearly inflation is the downside for this type of investment, especially if you never win a prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Spocker, how did you transfer them? The company that looks after Prize Bonds is a nightmare to deal with. I was trying to transfer bonds and they basically told me it was not possible. You cash them and rebuy. Is that what you did?

Transfer (of any Govt. savings bond) is only possible in the event of the death of the holder and where the executor asks that they be transferred to a named individual entitled to receive them. Otherwise they have to be cashed.

See clause 17.2 on page 9 .....

https://www.statesavings.ie/StateSavings/media/PDFs/NSB-General-terms-Conditions.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@coylemj, that is the exact scenario I found myself and they were impossible to deal with.

@coylemj, that is the exact scenario I found myself and they were impossible to deal with.

Ok but I guess they (Fexco) would see as an exercise in paperwork which yields them nothing. If I was an executor, I wouldn't bother attempting a transfer, I'd just cash them and lodge the money into the executor account.

Someone in my family notified them of a change of address a few years ago and sent back the Prize Bonds with their new details. The people in Fexco simply stuck on a label with the new address and sent the original bonds back. So a pretty amateurish and low-cost operation by the looks of it. Which is probably why they got the business in the first place, it used to be run by Bank of Ireland from an office in Mount St, Dublin.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

@Spocker, how did you transfer them? The company that looks after Prize Bonds is a nightmare to deal with. I was trying to transfer bonds and they basically told me it was not possible. You cash them and rebuy. Is that what you did?

For the Prize Bonds transfer, I just got the form from here: https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/how-do-i-add-names-to-the-title-of-my-state-saving
    filled it in, and just sent it off in the post with all the original bonds. My kids got the reissued bonds back in the post a few weeks later, and I received a letter saying the transfer was complete.

Caveats: my kids already have Prize Bonds, and already in the State Savings system for AML, etc

Advertisement