Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas Trend you wish would go away?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah iguana that's terrible. Poor chap. They tried to tell the babies (1-3yr olds) in my little fellas last playschool that santa wouldn't come, that they'd call santa etc. Even when I went up about it they continued. He's starting a new school this year and it doesn't seem to be the type of place. Much more into child development and actual causes of behaviour (as opposed to just behaviour management).

Just tell your kid.
    My mam says that Santa always comes and its only evil gremlins that says he doesn't and see there reaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Toots wrote: »
    12 pubs for me consisted of 12 glasses of diet coke. SO much caffeine! I'd say I was worse than the drunks :o
    iguana wrote: »
    ...last year he picked the 'Santa won't come if you are naughty' thing up from somewhere and the stress it caused him was utterly unbelievable...

Reminds me Toots. I think back when I partook I stopped drinking around Pub Number 4, then I started on the Sparkling Water, but I had to tell my friends I was drinking fizzy vodka so I wouldn't get all those protests of "Hey! Why aren't you drinking?!?" The bar man heard me say "vodka" and looked at me rather incredulously. :P

That Santa thing reminds me as well. That was always my least favourite part of the "waiting period" as a kid. And being so excited about the presents that I couldn't sleep but "He won't come if you're not sleeping" made some Christmas Eves a bit of an ordeal. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just tell your kid.
    My mam says that Santa always comes and its only evil gremlins that says he doesn't and see there reaction.

I did. It didn't go down well with the school. I was basically telling my child that their teacher was wrong. That santa doesn't spy and that he will visit anyway. that was ok for him because at 2/3 yrs old, a parents word is still gospel. A bit older or with a sensitive child and it could cause issues. As per iguanas case.

For a school to use such an ineffective, manipulative behaviour management technique is poor form anyway. But that's not for this thread I guess :D

I'm sure if you looked it up they'd probally be department guidelines against them doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm sure if you looked it up they'd probally be department guidelines against them doing that.

I'd guess so. I know they used time outs too which is also against guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"I have 4 TICKETS to THIS SHOW, they SOLD OUT IN 5 MINUTES on the website. That's me SORTED!!"

Jog on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Just tell your kid.

I told him repeatedly that Santa comes to all kids who want him to and that when he hears that you have to be good that's because Santa knows all kids are good. So even if they don't always manage to be perfect and if they make mistakes that's ok because they are still good kids. That some adults use the idea of Santa not coming to make kids do what they want but it's not true. He was still too worried to believe me. It was horrible, he was genuinely so worried that his behaviour could make Santa not come.

iguana wrote: »
    I told him repeatedly that Santa comes to all kids who want him to and that when he hears that you have to be good that's because Santa knows all kids are good. So even if they don't always manage to be perfect and if they make mistakes that's ok because they are still good kids. That some adults use the idea of Santa not coming to make kids do what they want but it's not true. He was still too worried to believe me. It was horrible, he was genuinely so worried that his behaviour could make Santa not come.

Thanks.
    I was just thinking you might be able to shame the teacher out of doing it if the kid called them up on it.

Regarding the elf on the shelf I know people who had it and it's only used for dropping of Christmas surprises/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭DvB

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I hate christmas ads.

:eek::eek::eek: ooh... its actually one of my favourite things about the build up. I've even made a playlist of my favourite ads over the years & watch it a few times on the run up to christmas... love waiting on new ones to be added & discussed on the designated adverts thread in here too...

Mad how some peoples little pleasures can be other peoples grievances :D, thats probably true of most things though to be fair.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks.
    I was just thinking you might be able to shame the teacher out of doing it if the kid called them up on it.

I don't think it was any of his teachers and I'd be 100% sure his teacher this year won't do it. I'm not 100% sure where he picked it up from but I guess it's everywhere. In some Christmas songs, there is a lot of cartoons based around the premise of the naughty list. It's even featured on Santa Claus the movie. So At a certain point kids pick it up and for a sensitive kid, it really can cause undue worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

I hate the new Christmas adds, well except for the one about the old man and his family that is just epic.. Really wish they would bring back the old Pennys ad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Milly33 wrote: »
    I hate the new Christmas adds, well except for the one about the old man and his family that is just epic.. Really wish they would bring back the old Pennys ad

But the waits good, as you say to see if someone comes up with a a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

not for the likes of debanams and all that malarkey.. Like the good old classic ones from An post and those ones.. Bring it back to what it really means family and friends and all that soppy stuff

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That fcuking boots ad with that here come the girls song.

*eye twitches*

Toots wrote: »
    That fcuking boots ad with that here come the girls song.

*eye twitches*

One thing I have to give to Boots is at least they do a catalogue!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I completely agree with most of the things said so far, but especially with Elf on the Shelf. I would probably find it a cute "tradition" if the actual puppet wasn't a\s creepy-looking as hell! Couldn't they just make a cute/quirky/mischievous-in-a-good way puppet instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

New Home wrote:
    I completely agree with most of the things said so far, but especially with Elf on the Shelf. I would probably find it a cute "tradidion" if the actual puppet wasn't a\s creepy-looking as hell! Couldn't they just make a cute/quirky/mischievous-in-a-good way puppet instead?

Couldn't agree more with this!!!
    He "it" is very creepy-looking indeed, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Elf on the shelf lasted about 2 days when we tried to introduce it a few years ago, both kids completely freaked out by it so it had to go. They were genuinely terrified of it & thats not fair on a pair of then 3 year old's.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My little girl loved the Elf on the Shelf so the bugger will have to come back again this year! We actually went for dinner in a friends house at the weekend & out of nowhere, her little chap started telling me all the things that their elf did last year. I should have taken notes :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Fairytale of New York. Good song but time to move on!!
    What's more annoying is when they bleep out or change a certain word to please the PC brigade :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

This in your face early Christmas BS!

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    What's more annoying is when they bleep out or change a certain word to please the PC brigade :rolleyes:

Could you just imagine if somebody released a song like that Today. Twitter would explode.

Could you just imagine if somebody released a song like that Today. Twitter would explode.
    Today I learned that LGBT is now LGBTQ and the Q stands for queer. I thought that was a slur :confused:

I just can't keep up and feel like Homer's dad who doesn't know what "it" is anymore lol

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Today I learned that LGBT is now LGBTQ and the Q stands for queer. I thought that was a slur :confused:

I just can't keep up and feel like Homer's dad who doesn't know what "it" is anymore lol

I thought Q stood for questioning you can also add IA onto it for Intersex and Asexual.

I thought Q stood for questioning you can also add IA onto it for Intersex and Asexual.
    According to google it can mean Queer or Questioning. I only came across it in the comment section on YouTube where a gay person was venting about how ridiculous it's becoming. Their comment was something along the lines of "there's now a whole alphabet after LGBT and now it's LGBTQ+", which prompted me to google the G. With the addition of IA I'm even more confused than ever. At this rate they might as well simplify it to NH-non heterosexual.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That’s interesting and all lads but I’m not sure what Christmas trend it’s referring too.... can we steer this back on topic please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Definitely the shops opening on St Stephens day. Really iterates me that they can’t stay closed for more than one bloody day and give people a few more hours with family. I wouldn’t work in retail for love nor money. Little wonder it’s mainly all part timers and students nowadays in shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I've already seen Christmas decorations up in some places bloody ridiculous its not even Halloween yet ffs and some shops feel the need to put up Christmas decorations when Christmas is still over 3 months away.

• Advertisement

Mutant z wrote: »
    I've already seen Christmas decorations up in some places bloody ridiculous its not even Halloween yet ffs and some shops feel the need to put up Christmas decorations when Christmas is still over 3 months away.

I know it drives me mad when people come out with those lines also.

Advertisement