Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Christmas Trend you wish would go away?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Across the pond, perhaps. Pyjamas, over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am lost !! They are spelt pajamas !

Under American English from my understanding us and the UK,etc should be going with pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Under American English from my understanding us and the UK,etc should be going with pyjamas.

I also thought that both spelling was correct as the words came from two different languages ? Could be all wrong but mine are the Cats Pajamas !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You can’t blame the big retail corporations for going all out to make the most out of Christmas.
    If the buying public are shallow and desperate enough to try to fill that empty Christmas shaped hole in their lives with plastic rubbish and scented candles then good for them.
    Christmas is whatever people want it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Loughc wrote: »
    What is a Christmas trend you're glad is gone? What's one you wish would go away?
    Glad the being woken up at poxy 6 o’clock on Xmas morning is gone. Took years, but we trained it out of them.

Wish any mention of the season outside of the 12 days would go away. ‘Humbug’, I hear you accuse? Not at all. If we’re stuck with it, it might as well be an event to look forward to, rather than a long drawn out drone for months beforehand. Xmas is ruined by those that love it.

People who call Christmas Xmas or Chrimbo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

sirmanga wrote: »
    Schmaltzy, heavy handed, sugary sweet Christmas ads from big name retail brands, usually featuring a whimpering, self pitying song, with an aim towards being bitter sweet rather than fun. This is then followed by a bunch of wallys on Twitter talking about how said ad has them blubbering like a baby and "hit them in the feels".

God be with the days when Christmas was a bit of a laugh.

^^ This a million percent!! All the ads now are sum sentimental schmaltzy orchestra or a moody piano version of another song with every1 all nostalgic and soft, like that vodafone 1 where every1 starts skating down Grafton St!Like as you said wheres the fun and the enjoyment?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

New Home wrote: »
    That Penneys had their pjs on display in the windows, but they had spelt them pajamas.... HONESTLY!!

Oh, and the Elf on the Shelf thingy. Not the idea per se, but that specific puppet is as creepy as hell. If it were a cute thing I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Lol, I find some of them cute, though some of them are really creepy!

I'm not that fond of the whole Elf on the Shelf thing either, I didn't start with my kids until they came home from school asking why Santa brought elves to other kids but not to them. It's an okay idea I suppose but gets to be a bit of a drawl after a while coming up with ideas (I sound like a boring parent! :D). And God forbid I come home tired one night and forget to set up the elf..I definitely could live without the Elf on the Shelf and their so called 'Christmas Tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think there should be no commercials on TV or row upon row of Christmas decorations in shops until the 1st of December. Seriously getting longer every year, Halloween costumes in shops beside decorations. It's all about profits now and Christmas is no longer a holiday for alot of people.

• Advertisement

I think there should be no commercials on TV or row upon row of Christmas decorations in shops until the 1st of December. Seriously getting longer every year, Halloween costumes in shops beside decorations. It's all about profits now and Christmas is no longer a holiday for alot of people.

Nobody complains about the jobs it creates tough ot hownro keeps businesses going for the the quieter months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Happy Holidays :p

Rosedust84 wrote: »
    Lol, I find some of them cute, though some of them are really creepy!

I'm not that fond of the whole Elf on the Shelf thing either, I didn't start with my kids until they came home from school asking why Santa brought elves to other kids but not to them. It's an okay idea I suppose but gets to be a bit of a drawl after a while coming up with ideas (I sound like a boring parent! :D). And God forbid I come home tired one night and forget to set up the elf..I definitely could live without the Elf on the Shelf and their so called 'Christmas Tradition'.

Ok. Let me clarify:

This = creepy as hell.
    This = adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

New Home wrote: »
    Ok. Let me clarify:

This = creepy as hell.
    This = adorable.

Both nonsense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Nobody complains about the jobs it creates tough ot hownro keeps businesses going for the the quieter months!

Exactly what I hate about it now its all about business, money,work, money. Christmas is nothing but a commercial entity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Exactly what I hate about it now its all about business, money,work, money. Christmas is nothing but a commercial entity now.

It doesn’t have to be. It can be as simple and sincere as you want it to be.

Christmas has always been commercial. I was an 80's child and we used to get excited when the toy catalogues came in the post. I moved to Galway 20 years ago and was surprised to see Christmas decorations in Penneys in September.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Showing your age there :p

I miss Wren day. It's pretty much a dead tradition now but I remember back in my day :p (80's rural Ireland) it was more popular than Halloween. Myself and my sister used to go from door to door, with a branch decorated with tinsel and a plastic bird (representing the wren) on top. This was our poem:

The wren the wren, the King of all birds,
    St Stephen's day was caught in the furze,
    Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
    Will you give me a penny to bury the wren?

If you haven't a penny a hay penny will do,
    If you haven't a hay penny then God bless you.

I chased the wren from rock to rock,
    I chased him into a public shop,
    I dipped his nose in a bottle of beer,
    And I wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I haven't seen kids doing "The Wren" for years. I miss it :(
    Where are you based?The "Wran" has been revived in Carlow town. it's always a massive day in Dingle and there's usually a group from Sandymount on the news as well.

The Carlow revival doesn't really collect money door to door, they tend to visit nursing homes/ hospitals. Would be lovely to see more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Xmas is the shortest way to type December 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

Loughc wrote: »
    Good point. The Lack of Christmas music on tv and radio after Dec 25th is shocking too.

Totally agree with this point, I don't watch tv anymore but I remember this time every year there are Christmas songs on the music channels but come the 25th of December its almost impossible to hear any it seems silly really, there are 12 days in Christmas and none of them are in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

Christmas music in shops in November. Also Christmas ads on TV in November. Halloween was just over and on Friday November the first there was an ad on TV, on RTE from Spar. It was a Christmas ad wishing people a happy Christmas. Its wrong. It's very wrong wishing people and the viewers a happy Christmas on the 1st of November.

Theres so much build up to Christmas, it's ridiculous and I want Christmas to come and go by December. I think waiting til December the first or the eight to show Christmas themed ads and play Christmas music in shops would make Christmas more magical.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

(Older) primary teacher here, I can't abide that elf, talk about making children anxious 24/7 At least if it was to be a real robin, you'd only see one now and again. I do jokingly ask the children if they are working to be on the "nice" list, but that's it.

1. Christmas Eve boxes.
    2. "Having" to put the tree up for the Toy Show.
    3. People who talk about "getting over the Christmas.
    4. People who say "ah shur,it's all for the kids nowadays.
    5. "Season's Greetings.

endacl wrote: »
    Xmas is the shortest way to type December 25th.

It also derives from the symbol used for Christ in the early church.

Where are you based?The "Wran" has been revived in Carlow town. it's always a massive day in Dingle and there's usually a group from Sandymount on the news as well.

The Carlow revival doesn't really collect money door to door, they tend to visit nursing homes/ hospitals. Would be lovely to see more of that.
    Originally Mayo, currently Galway. When me and my sister were doing it, money was definitely a motivating factor :pac: After a couple of years we got brave enough to enter the pubs and we made a killing from people in great form giving us all their change. One year we even made £30 which was a fortune to a kid who never got pocket money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

All mention of Christmas should be banned until December.
    And I hate Christmas songs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm going to lock this up for a wee while. :)

Things are veering off course here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

otnomart wrote: »
    News in The Guardian: "Harrods limits Christmas grotto to £2,000-plus spenders".
    Hope this does not become a trend !

thats actually a brilliant idea for them, firstly thats not a big bill there, secondly itll have every middle class housewife draining the credit card to get a picture of the kids there to show off to the family for years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I'm going to lock this up for a wee while. :)

Things are veering off course here.

Thanks Posy! Just to add We will leave this thread locked to give people, especially new posters to this forum time to familiarize themselves with the forum charter.

This isn't a thread to get your digs/grievances in about Christmas, if you don't like Christmas then this isn't the forum for you. After Hours will have their seasonal Bah Humbug thread open for business soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

splinter65 wrote: »
    It doesn’t have to be. It can be as simple and sincere as you want it to be.

Exactly so..it is up to you ie everyone, and your beliefs . No need for anyone to carp at anyone for what they choose to do.

For me it is all about the Birth of Jesus , and I will all but vanish from here for Advent, which is a time for us of prayer and preparation.

But no way would I get at those who think differently.

Deeply thankful for my chosen living place with no commercial hype.

Christmas is in the heart, reflected then in the life we live. Of giving and loving. Whatever expression that takes. I love Christmas .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

the lack of midnight mass.... shocking

You cannot go from the pub to the church, fall asleep and start clapping when the choir finishes when you wake up..;)

Advertisement