Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Luggage Allowance

Options
  • 08-08-2018 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Apologies now as this is probably a daft question but here goes..

I've never flown ryanair before and I'm just booking flights to the UK now and on thr most basic (no added extras) flight price it says I can bring one small bag on board and one cabin bag in the hold. Does that mean that my cabin case will be checked in and I therefore won't have access during the flight? And that I have to wait at the carousel once landed for my case?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

yellow hen wrote: »

I've never flown ryanair before and I'm just booking flights to the UK now and on thr most basic (no added extras) flight price it says I can bring one small bag on board and one cabin bag in the hold. Does that mean that my cabin case will be checked in and I therefore won't have access during the flight? And that I have to wait at the carousel once landed for my case?

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

the cabin bag will be put in the hold just before you board the plane, so you can't bring any liquids etc over the carry on limits.

You collect it from the carousel the other end.

You won't have access to it during the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Stheno wrote: »
    yes.

Thanks. Is that a new thing? I don't usually find ryanair much cheaper (if at all) than aer lingus so what's the point of flying with them? It just seems like a whole lot of hassle.

Also, given that we have checked in and have boarding cards, do we have to go to a ryanair desk to check the case in then?

Sorry for all the questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Thanks. Is that a new thing? I don't usually find ryanair much cheaper (if at all) than aer lingus so what's the point of flying with them? It just seems like a whole lot of hassle.

Relatively new and annoying. It was brought in really because people very pulling the p$$s with the amount of luggage they were bringing on board.
    Now they take your bag as you are about to board the plane. They seem to concentrate on little suitcases though. I tend to use a backpack and it has not been taken yet. My wife uses a little suitcase and hers is always taken.
    Also, make sure you don't leave a laptop or tablet in your bag.
    Regarding choice. If price is similar, I would always pick Aer Lingus. They seem more laid back.

eezipc wrote: »
    Relatively new and annoying. It was brought in really because people very pulling the p$$s with the amount of luggage they were bringing on board.
    Now they take your bag as you are about to board the plane. They seem to concentrate on little suitcases though. I tend to use a backpack and it has not been taken yet. My wife uses a little suitcase and hers is always taken.
    Also, make sure you don't leave a laptop or tablet in your bag.
    Regarding choice. If price is similar, I would always pick Aer Lingus. They seem more laid back.

Thanks for that. So the bag doesn't get tagged as it normally would for checked luggage?

I'll just throw my ipad into my handbag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Thanks for that. So the bag doesn't get tagged as it normally would for checked luggage?

I'll just throw my ipad into my handbag.

Correct. You still have to bring the bag through security yourself and Ryanair will take it at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If you purchase priority boarding, you can bring your 10kg cabin bag on with you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This policy came about because the cabin can physically not accommodate a case or large luggage for each passenger, it’s a phycial impossobililty and is a problem on all airlines who charge for carry on luggage.
    Aer Lingus have the same problem however they allow you to check in your hand luggage for free at the desk which is much handier as you don’t have the hassle of security with liquids and all the rest.
    I think Aer Lingus send out texts promoting this service if they know they have a full flights, however they also occasionally have to gate check luggage as do all airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Purchase priority boarding then you can take it into the cabin and no carousel on arrival

vicwatson wrote: »
    Purchase priority boarding then you can take it into the cabin and no carousel on arrival

Did just that, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They seem to have reverted to taking hand luggage off you at desk if you are also checking in a hold bag (if you choose to do so)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

TheDriver wrote: »
    They seem to have reverted to taking hand luggage off you at desk if you are also checking in a hold bag (if you choose to do so)
    Makes sense and relieves the gate staff and baggage lads having to deal with 100+ cases during boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

So that's how they will finance any new agreement made with the unions.

dzilla wrote: »
    So that's how they will finance any new agreement made with the unions.

Yes paying staff real wages comes at a cost.

My reply is in response to someone else’s comment. So it’s slightly out of context by quoting just my reply.

For years we have had cheap fares off the backs of the workers in Ryanair, now it is only fair that we pay slightly more realistic prices so they stop treating their staff so badly and they can be paid a better wage. Whether this is actually done as a result of this bag charge we can only wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Interesting that checking the 10kg bag will cost more than carrying it on with priority. I can’t see that lasting.

FWIW my favorite aspect of always getting better was quiet flights before 8am/after 9pm. That was unceremoniously dropped very quickly.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It was only a matter of time, tagging at the gate was costing them at least 2 extra staff members for each flight to tag the bags before the boarding point, and probably extra ramp staff to handle the bags at the aircraft.

If it goes back to the old concept of checking bags "through the system" before security it will also mean more time getting through the airport, at both ends, being able to take the bags in the cabin was a big advantage that was eroded by the gate check in and reclaim from the belt on arrival, and it will now be even more of a pain.

For us, it will mean half the flights, as this will effectively almost double the cost of a trip to the UK, and we have a defined sum we can spend on trips like this.

Yes, it takes longer, but it will make the option of ferry/rail more attractive than it was, though Brexit may complicate things at the ports over the next while. The whole airport experience has become tedious in recent years and this will just serve to make it even more tedious.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Noxegon wrote: »
    Interesting that checking the 10kg bag will cost more than carrying it on with priority. I can’t see that lasting.

FWIW my favorite aspect of always getting better was quiet flights before 8am/after 9pm. That was unceremoniously dropped very quickly.

Yes I thought the same thing, they will have to hike the cost of priority boarding now to differentiate the two cases. I really wish they would be honest and just add another few percent onto the cost of the ticket instead, but I guess they still want to brag about cheapest fares etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hamiltron

In fairness to Ryanair, it is just a case of looking at the bottom line and making a decision as to what is your best option. From the start, they came at the airline industry with the mentality that, for the short flights that are involved, it should be treated more like a bus service. There may actually be quite a few people who would use the "small personal item" option, and it is good that they get to pay less for that service.

My particular gripe in this case is that in July, I booked a flight for December, standard fare with no check-in luggage and no priority boarding. The terms and Conditions at the time stated that I could bring on a free 10kg hand luggage and a free small personal bag. They are now saying that I will effectively have to pay €16 extra per person for priority boarding to get my 10kg hand luggage on board, or I can cancel the flight.

Firstly, I am surprised that they are legally allowed to change the Ts and Cs retrospectively like that.

Secondly, if they are going to require people to retrospectively buy priority boarding due to a change in rules, let them buy it for the price it would have been when they were originally making the booking (i.e. €12 per person for the return flight instead of €16).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

hamiltron wrote: »
    Firstly, I am surprised that they are legally allowed to change the Ts and Cs retrospectively like that.

They must have some super strong backup in Brussels, judging from the way they monopolise air transport over Europe, and dictate price literally unstoppable. Merkel and her EU friends take more care over Islamic emigrants than Europeans. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

These new baggage charges are a pain alright. With the exception of short UK trips where I just bring a backpack, I always bring the 10kg wheelie case so it'll force folks who have always been happy paying the base fare to purchase priority, meaning having to mentally add €12 - €16 when comparing fares, although I could definitely see the cost of priority creeping up in time.

I'd rather they go back to their original policy of having to put everything into the one case but if we're going to have to pay for a normal cabin bag, I'll certainly be taking advantage of the increased dimensions of the second smaller carry on and bring my backpack and wheelie case rather than a small string bag as my second bag.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If they get to the point where there will be a charge for even a small bag in the cabin, that will be the end of my using Ryanair for some trips, as there are some items that I will NEVER put in the hold, and paying for a bag in the hold and a smaller bag in the cabin will mean that it's worth looking at other carriers, who are already pretty close cost wise to Ryanair, and this latest gouge could mean that the balance has tipped in favour of other carriers, or non aviation carriers for some routes.

Most of our trips are to visit family in the UK, so we don't take much in the way of luggage, most of what we need is already with the family, so this change will mean fewer visits, or using alternative options.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Most of our trips are to visit family in the UK, so we don't take much in the way of luggage, most of what we need is already with the family, so this change will mean fewer visits, or using alternative options.

I go to London a few times each year also to visit my brother so pack light, bringing only some spare sets of clothes, tablet, headphones, chargers and some toiletries and these fit easily into a decent sized back pack which they will allow on as a standard under the seat bag so you may well avoid these charges if you don't travel with a wheelie bag. I know personally I won't be booking priority for my UK trips anyway.

Edit: For reference, this Irish Times article provides an example picture of the new size of smaller free bag: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-cabin-charges-what-do-the-changes-mean-1.3606377

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

it's worth looking at other carriers, who are already pretty close cost wise to Ryanair, and this latest gouge could mean that the balance has tipped in favour of other carriers, or non aviation carriers for some routes.
    I direct you to page 58 of the annual report
    https://investor.ryanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Ryanair-FY-2018-Annual-Report.pdf

Ryanair average booked passenger fare is 39,40. Ancillary revenue which is completely optional is 15,48.
    No carrier comes within touching distance of Ryanair average fares.
    Ryanair are gouging nobody.

If you want to fly Ryanair at the lowest price then buy a 25 litre bag and bring your own snacks. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

rivegauche wrote: »
    bring your own snacks.

I heard already about Ryanair considering corkage fee on your own food/drinks on-board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

zom wrote: »
    I heard already about Ryanair considering corkage fee on your own food/drinks on-board.

Fairly certain that can be filed under "charging for the toilet" and "standing room only" as not going to happen. Suspect it was a joke by someone external to the company anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

zom wrote: »

The only thing more stupid than that idea is that someone would believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They could have a "no outside food/drink" policy if they wanted.

They could have a "no outside food/drink" policy if they wanted.

They could in theory but it would be practically impossible to police, they would have to physically open and check everybody's bags getting on the plane (which would cause huge delays). What are they going to do if they see you with a store bought sandwich on the plane? Kick you off? It's like cinemas who try and stop you bringing in your own food, it doesn't work.

As L1011 said, it's another charging for the toilets type story, will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Wizzair have only 1 bag on board also, I use my back pack with then no problem. It can be larger then a wheelie suit case at times but most airlines don't tag them unless you ask.

My only gripe is when travelling with kids and checking in a bag. At some airports it will be mayham due to the extra long queues. For all the people who missed out on priority boarding they will have to que to check in the bag.

Advertisement