Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Luggage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

They could have a "no outside food/drink" policy if they wanted.

Lot of places do the same but O'Leary fan-club would never believe this can happen. Not in their lovely "cheap" airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Can someone confirm if they are applying this charge retrospectively? I.e. current bookings?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

My reply is in response to someone else’s comment. So it’s slightly out of context by quoting just my reply.

For years we have had cheap fares off the backs of the workers in Ryanair, now it is only fair that we pay slightly more realistic prices so they stop treating their staff so badly and they can be paid a better wage. Whether this is actually done as a result of this bag charge we can only wait and see.

Why so ? I will continue to look for the cheapest option to travel. Its of no interest to me what airline staff are paid, good bad or indifferent

Thats complete tosh to say we are able to travel at a better price because Ryanair are paying workers less. If you don`t like your job or conditions, leave and get another one - simple. Don`t try and play the sympathy thing, no-one cares

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

rivegauche wrote: »
    I direct you to page 58 of the annual report..............

Ryanair average booked passenger fare is 39,40. Ancillary revenue which is completely optional is 15,48.
    No carrier comes within touching distance of Ryanair average fares.
    Ryanair are gouging nobody.

I have neither the time or the interest to wade through the annual report, and it's irrelevant, as is your quote of the average booked passenger fare, given the significant length of most sectors, it has no relevance to the fares we pay on short hop flights to the UK.

I can assure you that we pay nothing like €55 per trip, and there are other operators on the routes we fly regularly who are close to Ryanair pricing, and with this latest hike, they will probably now be cheaper, unless they choose to increase their prices as a result of the increases being made by Ryanair.

I have just looked at our last 3 trips, and if they apply a €8 per sector per bag charge, that will effectively almost double the cost of flights for us, our 3 most recent trips were considerably cheaper than your quoted "average booked fare", by watching carefully for promotion prices and taking flights at off peak times.

On that basis, an almost 100% increase for a less effective service is as far as I am concerned plain and simple gouging, as that level of increase does not represent the additional cost of providing a different service.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

On the bright side, the increased bag charge will mean people will have less bags to drag home when their flight gets cancelled...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

hamiltron wrote: »
    In fairness to Ryanair, it is just a case of looking at the bottom line and making a decision as to what is your best option. From the start, they came at the airline industry with the mentality that, for the short flights that are involved, it should be treated more like a bus service. There may actually be quite a few people who would use the "small personal item" option, and it is good that they get to pay less for that service.

My particular gripe in this case is that in July, I booked a flight for December, standard fare with no check-in luggage and no priority boarding. The terms and Conditions at the time stated that I could bring on a free 10kg hand luggage and a free small personal bag. They are now saying that I will effectively have to pay €16 extra per person for priority boarding to get my 10kg hand luggage on board, or I can cancel the flight.

Firstly, I am surprised that they are legally allowed to change the Ts and Cs retrospectively like that.

Secondly, if they are going to require people to retrospectively buy priority boarding due to a change in rules, let them buy it for the price it would have been when they were originally making the booking (i.e. €12 per person for the return flight instead of €16).

I think you’re fine, it’s only for bookings made after Sept 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ryanair swore they would not make this particular change, some time ago. I was cynical at the time and oh look. On this one I have no idea how they are going to make it work though, you need payment infrastructure at all boarding gates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

trellheim wrote: »
    Ryanair swore they would not make this particular change, some time ago. I was cynical at the time and oh look. On this one I have no idea how they are going to make it work though, you need payment infrastructure at all boarding gates

There is payment infastructure at all the gates

There is payment infastructure at all the gates
    in every single airport and gate that FR use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Gate staff carry portable payment machines.

• Advertisement

what, at places like Murcia, Leeds Bradford, Riga ? Everywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

what, at places like Murcia, Leeds Bradford, Riga ? Everywhere ?

Yes, the airport system is European wide, I can go to Riga to work and use my sign ins from Dublin to log in and it works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Locker10a wrote: »
    This policy came about because the cabin can physically not accommodate a case or large luggage for each passenger, it’s a phycial impossobililty and is a problem on all airlines who charge for carry on luggage.
    Is there not space under the seat in front for a cabin sized case? which only leaves 6 people to fit their cases in the overhead bins :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

It's a money spinner simple as.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

This policy came about because the cabin can physically not accommodate a case or large luggage for each passenger, it’s a phycial impossobililty and is a problem on all airlines who charge for carry on luggage.
    Is there not space under the seat in front for a cabin sized case? which only leaves 6 people to fit their cases in the overhead bins :rolleyes:

Absolutely not a regular cabin sized case wouldn’t fit under the seat securely, not even close

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Absolutely not a regular cabin sized case wouldn’t fit under the seat securely, not even close

Life would be so much easier if the airlines would agree on a standard size case, which could then be checked for valid size at airside security, and if it is too large, (or too heavy), the owner has the option to return to the bag drop point and check it in, and where appropriate pay the appropriate surcharge for over size or over weight bags.

Some of the supposed cabin size bags that arrive at the gate defy the imagination, the only way they are going to fit in the overhead bin is with the aid of a pnuematic hammer!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Life would be so much easier if the airlines would agree on a standard size case, which could then be checked for valid size at airside security, and if it is too large, (or too heavy), the owner has the option to return to the bag drop point and check it in, and where appropriate pay the appropriate surcharge for over size or over weight bags.

Some of the supposed cabin size bags that arrive at the gate defy the imagination, the only way they are going to fit in the overhead bin is with the aid of a pnuematic hammer!

There have been calls in the US for Congress to regulate things like seat pitch. Naturally they're not having it over there; but given the EU loves to regulate all it can see one wonders if this isn't a cause they'd take up. Standardisation of baggage allowances cross union seems within their common market remit and might be a popular win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Right.... and if, for whatever reason, ALL passengers would get priority tickets, plane suddenly would become flexible, would expand and would be able to accommodate all luggage. :D

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Right.... and if, for whatever reason, ALL passengers would get priority tickets, plane suddenly would become flexible, would expand and would be able to accommodate all luggage. :D

Priority boarding tickets are limited to 95 per flight. If you're not amongst the first 95 to buy priority boarding, your only option for carrying a second larger piece of luggage is to check it in.

Quackster wrote: »
    Priority boarding tickets are limited to 95 per flight. If you're not amongst the first 95 to buy priority boarding, your only option for carrying a second larger piece of luggage is to check it in.
    Oooh....right .... and if for whatever reason all passengers will go for option to carry their second bag, that is where plane will transform into flex....
    Once were allowed to carry extra 10KG case/bag people choose to save rather paying £/€25 for check in 20kg.
    Ryanair revenue dropped so they change rules now.
    People still will go for cheaper option, that is £/€6 and still go with extra bag.
    I cant see where is this New Bag Policy From November Will Cut Check Bag Fees & Reduce Boarding Delays.

A lot of bullsh1t excuses just to get more money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Oooh....right .... and if for whatever reason all passengers will go for option to carry their second bag, that is where plane will transform into flex....

The only folk allowed to put one bag into the overhead lockers will be those who buy priority boarding and that's limited to 95 pax per flight. The overhead storage can accommodate in the region of 100 full-size bags so, in theory, there shouldn't be a space issue.

Quackster wrote: »
    The only folk allowed to put one bag into the overhead lockers will be those who buy priority boarding and that's limited to 95 pax per flight. The overhead storage can accommodate in the region of 100 full-size bags so, in theory, there shouldn't be a space issue.
    From official Ryanair site: New Bag Policy From November Will Cut Check Bag Fees & Reduce Boarding Delays
    If non-priority customers want to bring a 2nd bigger (wheelie) bag they can buy a lower cost 10kg check bag for €/£8 at time of booking (currently a 20kg bag costs €/£25). This 10kg wheelie bag must be checked in at the airport bag drop desk.
    ...unless i am reading it wrong and they just remove option for free bag altogether. In that instance - just say so: making more money by removing current free bag allowance and making queue in the different place.

As for this part: New Bag Policy (effective 01st November)
    This led to the tagging of up to 120 free gate bags which caused delays to 25min turnarounds.
    .... please.... Either it is not gate personnel job to tag the bag(fair enough), or they should remove fingers from nose(or other places) and get that done. And in fairness, they do. I have used Ryanair service often enough to notice - many times delay was not before/at the gate(while tagging done), but right after gate, were people held on stairs waiting for plane to be arriving/prepped. Complete mess regard health&safety to hold 100+ people on stairs with no proper ventilation and doors locked on both sides for odd 15-30min

I can fully understand, if gate personnel got feed up with tagging as/if it is not their job and Ryanair being forced to move this duty to check-in area(absolutely normal), but i hate when someone introduce price increase/free bag allowance removal as "benefit for customers" and nonsense excuses that most of time irrelevant to "tagging".

many times delay was not before/at the gate(while tagging done), but right after gate, were people held on stairs waiting for plane to be arriving/prepped

This is because it is then someone else's problem. The gate staff have done their job; locking the passengers in a smelly corridor is now the dispatcher's problem

In relation to the 25 euro baggage charge, on the FR trip I am currently on a checked 20kg bag cost 50 quid, well in excess of the flight cost. You are not seeing the entirety of the picture here; expect this to be a huge spinner from them - and its all pure gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Can someone confirm if they are applying this charge retrospectively? I.e. current bookings?

Yes they are. Applies to all flights from Nov 1st

But you can also cancel and get full refund.

Personally I like it as I can drop bag and forget about it till the other side for a tenner.

This is because it is then someone else's problem. The gate staff have done their job; locking the passengers in a smelly corridor is now the dispatcher's problem

That is my point, its nothing to do with delay on "tagging" as Ryanair claim/present. And its not gonna change this as far as i can see.

In relation to the 25 euro baggage charge, on the FR trip I am currently on a checked 20kg bag cost 50 quid, well in excess of the flight cost.
    cannot know why you paying €50/20kg

You are not seeing the entirety of the picture here; expect this to be a huge spinner from them - and its all pure gravy.
    As i expressed myself, i totally understand price increase, just don't like the way its presented, especially when it won't change thing regard delays as it's not the cause they address.

cannot know why you paying €50/20kg
    because on some flights thats what it costs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

It can be up to €70 on Canaries flights.

We still talk about Ryanair, aren't we

459578.PNG

I know Ryanair is cheapest available option. I think you are missing point I make.
    As i expressed myself, i totally understand price increase, just don't like the way its presented, especially when it won't change thing regard delays as it's not the cause they address.

459580.PNG

On my travels i have not experienced delay because of "tagging" at gate.
    Other reasons after gate - yes.
    95 priority passengers loading their bags into storage compartment and blocking passage for others - yes, and this will remain.
    Oversized bags - there still will be people with "stuffed" handbags, etc, etc.

I personally most travel "light", allowed bag would be 1/3 empty, so for me its either delay(queuing at check-in, then waiting at the belt) or price increase or both.
    Cant see myself fit under Raynair description: Cut Check Bag Fees & Reduce Boarding Delays

And I can't understand someone clapping happy - if you travel with other carriers it wont effect you, if you use Ryanair - its free baggage reduction, its gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

CeilingFly wrote: »

Yes they are. Applies to all flights from Nov 1st

But you can also cancel and get full refund.

Personally I like it as I can drop bag and forget about it till the other side for a tenner.
    But other airlines do this for free, I used the voluntary cabin luggage check in twice a week with Aer Lingus, as their flights are very full during the summer any hand luggage can be dropped off for free at the check in desk. Very handy service, suits me and helps them avoid tagging at the gate etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

In the old days I used to like checking in my bag and collecting it the far side until airlines started charging for this 'privelege'. It forced me to rethink my travel arrangements and I quickly learned to travel lighter with one carry on and a small laptop bag and I honestly can't remember ever having paid to check in a bag.
    I now don't want to have to check in a bag, partly because I don't want to have to wait around to collect it and partly because I don't trust the loaders that it won't be damaged by them. I don't use Ryanair very often but I can't see myself using them at all now.
    A couple of weeks ago I was travelling with another airline with a very short connection, the agent at the gate suggested I would be better off checking in my bag as it would speed my passage through security at the connection airport, so I did. I made the connection but my bag didn't...

Advertisement