Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees (New Build)

Options
  • 08-08-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just looking to see if this invoice would be accurate before I go back to my solicitor.

House price €320,000
    Professional fee €1000
    Vat on professional fee 23% = €230
    Misc charges (postage) €150
    VAT on misc charges 23% = €34.50
    Stamp duty €2820
    Land registry fee (Folio and Map) €40
    Land registry fee (transfer) €700
    Land registry fee (register mortgage) €175
    Land registry fee (easements) €130
    Land registry fee (open new Folio) €75
    Legal searches €150
    Commissioner for Oaths (declarations) €80

Total €5584.50

It seems a bit more than I expected to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the stamp duty is the guts of 3k . You're getting all the legal paperwork in place to buy a >300k asset for 2.5k which is less than 1% of its value. by proportion paying for a coffee on your card costs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

paulb06 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking to see if this invoice would be accurate before I go back to my solicitor.

House price €320,000
    Professional fee €1000
    Vat on professional fee 23% = €230
    Misc charges (postage) €150
    VAT on misc charges 23% = €34.50
    Stamp duty €2820
    Land registry fee (Folio and Map) €40
    Land registry fee (transfer) €700
    Land registry fee (register mortgage) €175
    Land registry fee (easements) €130
    Land registry fee (open new Folio) €75
    Legal searches €150
    Commissioner for Oaths (declarations) €80

Total €5584.50

It seems a bit more than I expected to be honest.

Is the Vat on a solicitor fee 23%?

Thankfully I've never recieved a bill from one so have no idea but would have assumed it was a service?

Probably wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Looks about right. Solicitor fee is lower than average at 1000 normal to have 1250 or 1500 set fee or a percentage of value. Land registry fees are not going to the solicitor and look correct . Stamp duty around 1% looks right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

That seems huge to me, sorry just seen it included stamp duty and transfer. I would say that’s right as above €1,000 is actually at the lower end I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

That seems huge to me

I think misc fees are extortionate myself as he sent max 3 letters so I will be looking to reduce this.

The commissioner fees I was expecting to be around €20 or so not €80.

Search fees again, extortionate and expected them to be around €80 not €150.

And what are 'easements' in relation to the land registry fee €130?

None of my neighbours have been charged this, transfer €700 register mortgage €175 and open new Folio €75 I was expecting.

• Advertisement

That seems huge to me, sorry just seen it included stamp duty and transfer. I would say that’s right as above €1,000 is actually at the lower end I’d say

Yes professional fee is at the lower end of the scale I agree. I'm just not sure about the other elements of the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

An easement on this case I would think it could be a register of a grant of right of way across somebody's else land. All other fees seem about right. Oats tends to be around 20 per document and postage is 10 a go as it will be registered post all the way. At least two to the bank ,two to the other solicitor, and alot to the land registry. 150 would cover all that on. Keep in mind all the prices are negotiable and you could phone about for better prices but in my experience use a solicitor that you know is good and fast or you will end up in a mess costing you more in the long run. I have heard bad stories about people using bad solicitors and ended up not getting anything done right and having to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The prof.fee of 1,000 is very reasonable, other solicitors charge 1,500 and up. The only thing I would be querying is the 150 misc. charge, this should be no more than 50 tops IMO. You say searches are expensive at 150 but they can be this high as they vary county to county, I know Wicklow is 150 but other counties less than this. Contact https://www.dlslegal.ie/ if you want to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This solicitor is absolutely off his game with a fee like that. I know a new build conveyance is typically cleaner than another, but 1k of a fee?

Insane. Utterly insane.

You got a major bargain op. That's crazy.

myshirt wrote: »
    This solicitor is absolutely off his game with a fee like that. I know a new build conveyance is typically cleaner than another, but 1k of a fee?

Insane. Utterly insane.

You got a major bargain op. That's crazy.

I've absolutely no issue with professional fee at all.

I am now wondering why my a neighbour of mine has not been charged this easement fee of €130, €80 for searches and mine is €150 commissioner fee of €20 when mine is €80 and. Folio and map €40 which he hasn't been charged for. Doesn't make sense, surely they should be the same as its the same land the houses are built on?

• Advertisement
Advertisement