Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitus Bikes - Any good?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Been looking at new bikes, preferable carbon bike.

Been looking online at Rose bikes & in my LBS at Cervelo* and a BMC*

But talking to one of the lads in work, told me look at Vitus. He said he'd heard good things but i have never heard of them. Are the good/utter sh!te?

I know An Post use them, but i'm certain those bikes are out of my range

Any and all advice greatly appreciated

*Cannot justify buying either:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Been looking at new bikes, preferable carbon bike.

Been looking online at Rose bikes & in my LBS at Cervelo* and a BMC*

But talking to one of the lads in work, told me look at Vitus. He said he'd heard good things but i have never heard of them. Are the good/utter sh!te?

I know An Post use them, but i'm certain those bikes are out of my range

Any and all advice greatly appreciated

*Cannot justify buying either:(

Higher end Vitus are excellent , lower end are .. well .. basic .
    Cervelo are sweet bikes , there is no lower end with them , but yeah you pay top dollar for them.
    Take a look at Canyon , excellent bang for buck .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sullzz wrote: »
    Higher end Vitus are excellent , lower end are .. well .. basic .
    Cervelo are sweet bikes , there is no lower end with them , but yeah you pay top dollar for them.
    Take a look at Canyon , excellent bang for buck .

Seems to be a lot of disc brakes on canyon, i just don't like the idea of the disc brakes.

Vitus Vitesse Evo Road Bike 105 Groupset...Down from €1800 to €1170, just came across it on chainreaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-road-bike-105-2018/rp-prod159794

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Seems to be a lot of disc brakes on canyon, i just don't like the idea of the disc brakes.

Most companies are now pushing disc brakes. On Canyons site disc brakes show up first but just scroll down and you will find rim brakes.

Planet X can have decent value at times but rubbish customer services from what I gather.

What's your issue with disc breaks? I've been on them over a year now and wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Vitus make incredible mountain bikes

• Advertisement

Vitus Vitesse Evo Road Bike 105 Groupset...Down from €1800 to €1170, just came across it on chainreaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-road-bike-105-2018/rp-prod159794

Every Canyon bike is available disc or rim brake .

Planet X can have decent value at times but rubbish customer services from what I gather.

What's your issue with disc breaks? I've been on them over a year now and wouldn't go back.

Had them on a mountain bike years back, and had lots of trouble with them, basically they just didn't work properly and i'm holding a grudge...also they look ugly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Vitus, since Chainreaction resurrected the brand are pretty much all open mould frames with Vitus stickers on them. They're fine by all accounts though and chainreaction stand over them.

I like Cervelos, have owned 7 or 8 of them. If you are on a budget, Rose and Canyon are decent. Some of the planets bikes like the EC130 are alright for the money (Again rebadged open moulds for the most part)... but there are bargains around this time of year on big brands... last year in early autumn bike24 started selling Cervelo S2's for 1550 for example.. a lot of brands do that around autumn time to make way for the new model year.

Every Canyon bike is available disc or rim brake .

Yeah just figured out there website, wasn't loading properly on firefox, grand on chrome.

Looking at the Endurance CF 7.0, doesn't seem to say what the frame is made of?

Yeah just figured out there website, wasn't loading properly on firefox, grand on chrome.

Canyon make frame from two types of materials aluminium and carbon fibre and you can tell by the name AL or CF

• Advertisement

What type of cycling will you be doing ?

Thing about canyon is the wait on them depending on what you are looking at , was in the market for a bike last year and foolishly opted out of one because of the 6-8 week wait. Couldn't hold my piss lol.

There is also the propriety component aspect to canyon. Seen a few threads here about headsets etc. and what they cost to replace.

What type of cycling will you be doing ?

Hopefully going back to doing between 150-250 kms a week, typically averaging speeds between 29-30 km/h.

May be tempted to do a few races, if i can get my average up to a steady 30 on my solo spins.

Been off the bike for 4 years, got back on it over the last 5 weeks, clocking up 900kms so far...

Hopefully going back to doing between 150-250 kms a week, typically averaging speeds between 29-30 km/h.

May be tempted to do a few races, if i can get my average up to a steady 30 on my solo spins.

Been off the bike for 4 years, got back on it over the last 5 weeks, clocking up 900kms so far...
    If you’re considering doing races in the future I’d go for the ulitimate , the Aeroad would be a bit too aggressive for long day in the saddle spins .
    Don’t worry about the talk of servicing issues with canyon bikes , I’ve an Aeroad and get it serviced regularly, I simply order the parts from canyon , I always have spares , all parts are cheap and quick postage .

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Have a vitus vitesse evo team 2014, absolutely love it, came with dura ace/fsa k light components.

I bough I towards the end of year when it was well discounted, paid about 2400. Was a serious spec for that price

Merlin cycles are getting good reviews. I think they are rebadged Ridleys, built to order so you can have what ever components you
    Like.

Ribble cycles do the same, not sure what their frames are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Vitus make incredible mountain bikes

Have a Vitus Escarpe and love it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Have a Vitus Escarpe and love it ...

One of the best bikes I've tried, was very close to getting one

Cheers guys for all the feedback...

Just another question...Dolan Bikes, are they up to much? Seem to have carbon frame with 105 groupset for about €1100. Are they just more open mould frames, or their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Had a look at Vitus on Wiggle there, some seem to be great prices like this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-zenium-vr-disc-road-bike-105/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Bought a Rose Xeon CW in 2013. Great bike: stiff, aero and still going strong. Parts are standard, have replaced pretty much everything that you do replace in this time and no problems in that regard. Rose configurator is great and value/weight wise up there with Canyon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cheers guys for all the feedback...

Just another question...Dolan Bikes, are they up to much? Seem to have carbon frame with 105 groupset for about €1100. Are they just more open mould frames, or their own?

I got a Dolan track bike, have to say great bike and their after sales support with all my stupid questions were brilliant. Can't talk about the bikes but the few people I met who have them seem happy.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I got a Dolan track bike, have to say great bike and their after sales support with all my stupid questions were brilliant. Can't talk about the bikes but the few people I met who have them seem happy.

May i ask, where can you use a track bike, are you based abroad?

There are a few outdoor velodromes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sundrive Velodrome and on the road (drilled front forks so i can throw a brake on).

Advertisement