Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential new job in Novartis, where to live?

Options
  • 08-08-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

As above potential new job in Novartis and im clueless as to where to begin looking for somewhere to rent. I aware its crazy up there so maybe looking to share first off i guess although not keen on that really. Im looking for somewhere with a bit of life (pubs, restaurants and generally a nice vibe) and safe.
    Any recommendations? Im coming from the west so not familar with any of the areas near Novartis. A commute within 30 mins would be nice i guess. Sorry for the probably really broad question:D Any questions let me know.

Oh prob should add in, would somewhere on the dart line be good commute wise as will rely on public transport?

Comments

I presume you mean Elm Park in Merrion?

If so then anywhere you can afford along the Dart, the further out the cheaper it gets.

There are a few buses that stop near there as well, particularly the 7 and 7a which run fairly regularly.

If you stick close to the Dart, then prices will be higher, but there’s also not any really bad areas. There are a few not so nice, but nowhere I would consider unsafe.

Blackrock is fairly lively and safe, close to town or Dun Laoghaire is affordable but not great in the evenings, but plenty of ok pubs for a beer. Shankill is more affordable still, because it’s further out. It gets mixed reviews but generally seems to be ok. Not exactly full of night life though.

Your best bet is to try and identify a couple of properties and ask for people’s opinions on the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Aegir wrote: »
    I presume you mean Elm Park in Merrion?

If so then anywhere you can afford along the Dart, the further out the cheaper it gets.

There are a few buses that stop near there as well, particularly the 7 and 7a which run fairly regularly.

If you stick close to the Dart, then prices will be higher, but there’s also not any really bad areas. There are a few not so nice, but nowhere I would consider unsafe.

Blackrock is fairly lively and safe, close to town or Dun Laoghaire is affordable but not great in the evenings, but plenty of ok pubs for a beer. Shankill is more affordable still, because it’s further out. It gets mixed reviews but generally seems to be ok. Not exactly full of night life though.

Your best bet is to try and identify a couple of properties and ask for people’s opinions on the locality.

Cheers, not sure what you mean by Elm Park in Merrion! What would be the liveliest town along the dart? I could consider north also i guess but yeah i think sticking along dart is the way to go.

zweton wrote: »
    Cheers, not sure what you mean by Elm Park in Merrion!

That seems to be where Novartis are based. The complex is called Elm Park and it is in Merrion. It is more helpful to quote where the company actually is rather than just the name of the company.
    zweton wrote: »
    What would be the liveliest town along the dart? I could consider north also i guess but yeah i think sticking along dart is the way to go.

Dublin?

you could easily live right smack bang in Temple bar if you wanted, or even Bray, but it is going to depend enormously on what you can afford to rent a room, or what you are prepared to put up with. If you are from the West and plan on heading back regularly, then Bray probably isn't for you.

you could start by looking around Grand Canal maybe? there is usually someone around there looking to rent out a room. If you are looking for somewhere young and lively, maybe Blackrock, but you are really better off trying to find somewhere to live and then checking out what the area is like. Renting in Dublin isn't easy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

there are two novartis buildings in dublin, one in elm park merrion rd and one in clonskeagh in south dublin

elm park office is close to booterstown or sydney parade dart stations, plus the 4 and 7 bus both stop outside
    there is also shower facilities and secure lock up for bikes in the building

there is no parking though.

clonskeagh has parking but am not 100% what the public transport options from there are, probably bus only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

if you need any more info feel free to send me a msg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

great thanks, will msg you :)

Advertisement