Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is accommodation so hard to find?!

Options
  • 08-08-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Basically what it says on the tin. I'm struggling massively to find somewhere to live thats a) within budget, and b) close to work. I've had bad experiences with living with landlords in the past so really want to avoid that too.

I'm working in Ringaskiddy and so far have had no real luck searching in:

Douglas
    Mount Oval
    Rochestown
    Carrigaline
    Ballincollig
    Grange
    Frankfield.

I'm not a Cork native and don't really know people outside of work so I have no idea where to live. Any help would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Are you looking to share or your own place and what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

fiload wrote: »
    Are you looking to share or your own place and what is your budget?

Sharing, renting by myself if waaaaay too expensive. Budget would be around €550 a month, maybe stretch to €600 if it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

You could advertise for someone to share with you?

If it's that hard to find accommodation then surely someone will come along if you advertise.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/rochestown/mount-oval-village-rochestown-cork-1859683/

N.96 wrote: »
    You could advertise for someone to share with you?

If it's that hard to find accommodation then surely someone will come along if you advertise.

https://www.daft.ie/cork/apartments-for-rent/rochestown/mount-oval-village-rochestown-cork-1859683/

All the apartments are far too expensive to rent first by myself waiting for someone to come along, as most of them require a deposit plus one months rent. So I'd need over 2k for that one you linked just to secure it before I could find someone else to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Those areas you named are some of the more expensive areas of the city . Do you drive ?? You might have to consider a longer commute .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dog-eat-dog rental market, best you can do is scan notice boards in shopping centres, literally sit on Daft.ie and actually ask people at work. Shrinking violets never get anything. You don't ask, you don't get.

You might prepare to just suck it up and live further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

yogmeister wrote: »
    Those areas you named are some of the more expensive areas of the city . Do you drive ?? You might have to consider a longer commute .

Might be worth trying places like Passage, Glanmire. Keep an ear to the ground and no harm putting the word out with work colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Seeing as you've gone as far afield from work as Ballincollig, there's also Glasheen, Wilton and Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

The first thing is that you have to be in Cork when searching for a place to live. You need to try to be as close to the first person that views the place. Gone are the days where you could respond to an add days after it is put up I am afraid.

I was in a similar position to you where by I was looking up until a week ago for a room to rent. The place I got only had one day for viewing and had twelve (Yes, 12!) viewings scheduled. Its a very competitive market, but if you are not in the city you are basically snookered.

You say your budget is 550-600 and that should really be enough for what you are looking for?

What exactly are you looking for in a room? Are you being too picky (Double bed + ensuite etc)? Apartment or house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I think there's a flatmate finder thing on daft, and if you're on any Facebook accommodation pages, it would be worth trying to find someone who's also looking and has a similar budget and preferences.

I was in your position last year OP, and tis worse it's gotten, I feel for you. Apartments and houses are hard to find, rooms in apartments and houses, forget about it.

It seems like there's one housing unit for every twenty fcuking office spaces, retail units etc being built in the city right now, I don't know where they think all these people are going to live.

• Advertisement

Dog-eat-dog rental market, best you can do is scan notice boards in shopping centres, literally sit on Daft.ie and actually ask people at work. Shrinking violets never get anything. You don't ask, you don't get.

You might prepare to just suck it up and live further away.

I've been asking people constantly in work, but there's been no luck that way.

I regards to sucking it up; I am vehemently trying to stay away from anywhere that requires me to use the tunnel. I'm not prepared to sit for over 20 minutes to try and even get to the tunnel. And I think that's a fairly decent excuse.

The first thing is that you have to be in Cork when searching for a place to live. You need to try to be as close to the first person that views the place. Gone are the days where you could respond to an add days after it is put up I am afraid.

I was in a similar position to you where by I was looking up until a week ago for a room to rent. The place I got only had one day for viewing and had twelve (Yes, 12!) viewings scheduled. Its a very competitive market, but if you are not in the city you are basically snookered.

You say your budget is 550-600 and that should really be enough for what you are looking for?

What exactly are you looking for in a room? Are you being too picky (Double bed + ensuite etc)? Apartment or house?

Yeah, I've the alerts and stuff set up, but still no success. So far I've gotten a response from 4 people with 2 viewings in total. One was unsuccessful and I'll find out about the other one tomorrow.

In an ideal world I'd get a double ensuite, but I'm contacting almost anyone that has a double. Due to recent knee surgery I need a double as well because I have to be able to stretch out my knee. I've no real preference between a house or an apartment, they're much of a muchness.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Seeing as you've gone as far afield from work as Ballincollig, there's also Glasheen, Wilton and Bishopstown.

I am trying to stay away from student-centric areas. I've looked at a few in Wilton on Daft, but for the majority they look like they're student based houses, or the house just looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

550 I would not consider all that much to be fair in this rental market.

I was paying 600 a month nearly 3 years ago when i moved to cork for a double with no ensuite. I was only paying 270 a month in Waterford for the same thing.

I saw my old room up to rent a few months back and they were looking for about 700 for it and I nearly died and was due to go up again !!!.

So you might have to up your rent to the 700 range if you want a double that's not a drive. As for me, it takes 45 mins on a bus to get to work and an hour home and I know its something I have to do !!!.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

If you would consider owner occupier you'll have a lot more options. I've friends who aren't renting houses they previously rented as the tax makes in not worth it. Especially if the house needs work. But people can rent rooms tax free so they're much more likely to do that. I've been there, it's slim pickings. I think you should definitely reconsider the Lough/Bishopstown. Not all houses there are student orientated.

550 I would not consider all that much to be fair in this rental market.

I was paying 600 a month nearly 3 years ago when i moved to cork for a double with no ensuite. I was only paying 270 a month in Waterford for the same thing.

I saw my old room up to rent a few months back and they were looking for about 700 for it and I nearly died and was due to go up again !!!.

So you might have to up your rent to the 700 range if you want a double that's not a drive. As for me, it takes 45 mins on a bus to get to work and an hour home and I know its something I have to do !!!.

99% of properties I'm looking at in the areas mentioned above fall into my price range, and they're all double beds (some ensuite). There is one property that is 700.

You may be content with a journey like that, but I absolutely am not. My hours are early as is, I don't want to have to be up and on the road even earlier.

dory wrote: »
    If you would consider owner occupier you'll have a lot more options. I've friends who aren't renting houses they previously rented as the tax makes in not worth it. Especially if the house needs work. But people can rent rooms tax free so they're much more likely to do that. I've been there, it's slim pickings. I think you should definitely reconsider the Lough/Bishopstown. Not all houses there are student orientated.

I'm currently living with an owner occupier and its not been a pleasant experience at all, and I haven't had a great experience in the past either. I would need to be very desperate.

I had a quick look at Bishopstown and there were only 6 properties available that aren't owner occupied, two of which don't have photos so no way to judge, one looking for males only and then the others don't look great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Every year I see people saying there is no place to rent or it is very difficult, I just don't get it.

I've spent the last 7 years in rented accommodation and changed nearly every year. You just need to set up the daft alerts and setup push notifications each time a house comes up. Ring ASAP and meet with the landlord ASAP also, its not rocket science.

Your budget is more than enough for a room in a sharing house. The going rate for a room is 350-550, depending on location and condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Its definitely time consuming. Spent every day for about a month trawling through daft. Ended up with a steal of a double ensuite for 400€ in one of the areas you mentioned originally.
    Keep onto landlords to set up viewings as soon as the adverts go up. Try to check in multiple times a day to make sure you get in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Is east Cork on the train line that you can claim commuter tax back on an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rom wrote: »
    Is east Cork on the train line that you can claim commuter tax back on an option?

www.taxsaver.ie It's the ticket you buy it through work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Look at Cobh - loads of people working in Ringaskiddy commute from Cobh - just get the car ferry across - OK it adds an extra few euro per week - but it will still be cheaper to get accommodation (House share etc) in Cobh. Also you're in a lovely buzzy little town - it gets a lot of slagging off from people who don't live there "now" but I love the place - bars/restaurants/theatre/arts scene - lots happening. There's also train and bus routes to city centre now on days when you don't want to drive to the city. Check out Daft for Cobh. J

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

iLaura wrote: »
    I've been asking people constantly in work, but there's been no luck that way.

I regards to sucking it up; I am vehemently trying to stay away from anywhere that requires me to use the tunnel. I'm not prepared to sit for over 20 minutes to try and even get to the tunnel. And I think that's a fairly decent excuse.

Yeah.

The trouble is when the schools come back, people insist on bussing their offspring everywhere and come winter, there's at least a crash a week as idiots can't drive.

Advertisement