Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW recalled - now I have a problem

Options
  • 08-08-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My 2011 320d Touring was in for a recall at a main dealer in Galway last month.

It had 3 jobs done according to the print out I received when I picked the car up

Checked & Reworked Bower Controller plug
    Checked and Reworked Positive Battery Terminal
    Checked & Reworked Flexible Disc - QE

When I went to collect I was told there was a delay because it had to be reprogrammed - no bother I thought.

A couple of days later I went close the windows by holding down the button on the remote - and for the first time ever it wasn't working. I booked it in again, waited around, and after an hour or so, I was told the sensors on both front window motors had failed and it was €400 euro to fix !!

I explained to the service guy I've owned the car for 6 years, never had a problem with the windows , use this feature regularly - at least once a week - and it has to be something they did during the recall. I got no joy.

Could both sensors have failed in a couple of days ? Is there a way to reset this feature without special tools ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not sure on BMW's but on Toyota/Lexus cars there's a way to reset using the ignition on/off and holding up/ down the window control buttons to reset the auto feature, plenty of videos on YouTube. Disconnecting the battery on Toyota/Lexus cars causes this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Sounds like a few possibilities off the top of my head:

Your cars windows need to re-learn the open/close limits. Do they go one touch down and one touch up via the window switch right now? Or pulse up an inch or so at a time? If they're doing this, press and hold the switch down to bring the window down to fully open, hold for 2 additional seconds. Repeat for close.

The coding that was on the car previously for key open/close of windows (and sunroof if an option) has been overwritten by the recall work and whatever flashing they done at this time. FOB close is disabled for US cars, any chance they've loaded you with a US setup?

Your regulators need resetting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3tJOeYJKNc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are trying to take you for a fool imo.
    The works they did clearly involved disconnecting battery. The fault / symptom you found is typical of battery being disconnected and basic setting not being performed after.
    The right answer here should have been an apology for letting you out without setting performed and perhaps a free wash and valet. Instead they use it as an excuse to bill 400 quid.... sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bugrake

Thanks for replies.

The one touch down is still working , but not the one touch up. I checked the rear windows, one touch up and down are working and the fob close is working. So it seems the front windows have been messed up and rear windows still OK

I've watched a couple of youtube windows but they either require me to remove power to the regulators (access the regulators in the door panel) or use a reset tool which I don't think I should have to do following a recall.

And yes mickdw I think they are taking me for a fool, but when I've stood there and argued with the service guy, he's gone back in to talk to the mechanic and returned 10 minutes later and confirmed (!!!) its 2 failed sensors I'm not sure what else I can do. I wont be paying them €400 to fix a problem they caused anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

As far as I know this is the procedure you need and it doesn’t require opening up the door panel.

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
    Requirements for correct initialization:
    • Initialization with engine running
    • Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
    • Erasure of initialization
    • Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
    • In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
    • After the power window drive has been replaced
    • After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
    • After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
    • After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
    • After adjustment work on the door window glass
    • After adjustment work on the convertible top
    • After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
    • Open door window glass fully
    • Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
    Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
    Avoid a break between the two steps!
    • Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
    • Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
    • Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
    • Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bugrake

Thanks, I tried the procedure listed but that didn't work.

I called BMW customer service - they will contact Galway dealer and a senior technician and get back to me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a similar issue on a Volvo - but it was battery related. As far as I can work out, the method to sense if an object was stuck in the window was a voltage or current measurement, if the DC motor gets overloaded, it will cause a current spike or a voltage drop. Once this happens, the car senses it and then cuts the power.

A low battery voltage on a very cold morning could cause the windows to act up and only rise a few centimeters before stopping.

Also had to reset the limit switches after a battery disconnect. Similar to the BMW procedure but had to hold the switch up and down for about 10s after it closed and opened in order to reset. Many of the modules for windows, lights, etc. are common across car brands and so will have similar methods to fix.

Advertisement