Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age to become a commercial pilot

Options
  • 09-08-2018 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

How old is too old to start. I am just 42 and may be in a position to start, funds etc. I have never had the opportunity before this. I am quite fit and in good health overall. I don't want people telling me it's never too late etc... I do still feel 21 after all but I am aware that I am running out of time. I would only be able to do part time as working and have a mortgage. Any input welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

First, get a Class 1 medical done. No question, do nothing else, not even a trial lesson first. You may have an eyesight issue or a fundamental underlying issue that rules you out.....do you really want to fly? have you ever flown before? Not just in the back of an airliner? get some trial lessons done and see how you feel. Talk to some pilots to see if the career suits you, as the life of an airline pilot is one of irregular hours/living out of a suitcase/night/early and late starts/missing chunks of family life and so on.....be prepared to do a lot of research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 khowar1x

Hi. Thanks for the response and advice. Have been up before and also met with an instructor in Weston. Question still stands. Am I barking up a wrong tree because of age? Want an unbiased opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I'm 42 and have started commercial training - I certainly believe it's not too late! Before I started I talked to as many people in the industry as possible and got all sorts of varying opinions. I spoke with two pilots who were brand new and hired into Irish airlines at the ages of 41 and 44, both in the last 6 months. I even spoke to a guy who just got his first job in a jet in the US at age 63!! In the end I decided that the risk was worth it and I found the evidence to support my decision, so here I am now in the midst of my ATPL studies.

The thing I would ask you is do you have a plan B? You mentioned you have a job and a mortgage, but if you spend €40k+ on training and then don't get a flying job at the end of it, can you continue to support yourself and your family?

If the answer is yes, I'd say go for it and don't delay. If you don't do it, you'll always wonder "what if". If it doesn't work out, you will have had a blast and will have learned a pile of new skills, and with your PPL you can fly privately at your leisure for the rest of your life - that's not a bad outcome.

My impression of the jobs market for pilots at the moment is that so long as you do well at your training (first time passes of all check rides seems to be key) then age is not as much of a factor as it used to be. A good pilot is a good pilot regardless of age, and the airlines seem to be less fussy out of necessity. You also have to be prepared to accept pretty much any job going and to be based away from home for your first job and maybe for several years.

Having said all that, our ages put us at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to the twenty something year olds - so you have to do everything you can to minimise that. Excellent grades in all subjects, going to the right schools, using all of your contacts to get you 'in the door' for an interview, and outstanding performance when you get that interview.

Good luck with your decision, if I can answer any more questions for you I would be delighted to help. As the poster above says, go do your class 1 before anything else. That's great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 khowar1x

Cheers for that reply robbie1876. Loads of great info, I appreciate you taking the time. I work shift and plan to try and do on the 3/4 days off I have per week. Pass medical first obviously! I will be talking to an AL pilot hopefully in the next while also. Here's looking up..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Make sure to get several opinions, not just one pilot. Ask a few for information and opinions and a real time overview of what the job entails. You don't have to be a maths genius or a technical genius to pass the exams, but it will require dedication and graft to pass them. You will also be expected to pay for a type rating and MCC/JOC courses so plan for them in your budget and also plan for keeping current afterwards. Don't depend on the opinion of flight schools either. Get as much independent, real world advice as you can gather before laying out a cent to anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement