Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager wants me gone

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 24 Cilantro2000

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    OP,

As someone who has managed staff for a long time and has had people who were not performing I'm going to offer you another view.

If this was the first time you were told about underperformance then yes it's been handled badly and was an overreaction.

I would expect that from someone who has not managed staff for very long. However what also strikes me as an issue is that you say "now that you had the discussion you see you were not meeting expectations". We're your goals / expectations never discussed?

On what grounds did they pass your probation period??

Also, are you as committed now as you were when you started? I've seen a lot of people start really well but fall in to the negative environment or the role does not turn out to be what they wanted and performance does down.

For me there are too many gaps to judge the full story but if you recognise that you are not performing unless you did a lot more then what pip requires you to do, you will not gain the trust or respect at this stage.

You also did not go in to if you like / love the job you do but focused on the pay aspect. I can understand that but that has warning signs for me.

In any case I'd say you are better off looking elsewhere but don't be in a rush to just take anything going.

It's crap situation to be in. Best of luck.

I think I am performing now, and have hit the one specific measurable target I was given two months in a row. We never had a discussion after the 6 months period, I think it's the same with everyone, it seems like he forgets probationary periods even exist. The first time I got my goals for the year was in mid June so didn't know speciffacly what was expected. Given that I hadn't heard any criticism I had assumed (wrongly) that there was no major problems.

By the way I do enjoy the job for those who asked. I suspect a couple of guys (close friends) in the team the team have been pushing my manager for a promotion to my level on the basis that they know the work as well as me. They've been doing this particular work for about 4 years so they do know it very well. Will keep interviewing anyway and will hand in my notice once I get an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cyrus wrote: »
    Productivity is easily measured for manual tasks more difficult in the professional sphere

Not sure where are going with that. You may just mean some things are harder than others which is a truism.

However putting metrics and quantifying things can be applied to almost anything.

We may be getting off topic. I was really only suggesting that the op needs to put metrics on his work.

Advertisement