Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Outdoor or Ring Camera?

Options
  • 09-08-2018 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I currently have some cheap IP camera's in the bedroom window looking outside. They work well but I want something to record audio as well. I was thinking about the below:

https://nest.com/ie/cameras/nest-cam-outdoor/overview/

or

https://eu.ring.com/collections/security-cams

I'm guessing with Amazon owning Ring there's likely to be no integration with Google Assistant?

Can anyone attest to how good the quality/sensitivity of the audio might be? I'm hoping they'd pick up the likes of front doors/windows being slammed at all hours of the night. If it's not up to the task can you recommend something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d recommend the yi home outdoor camera

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d recommend the yi home outdoor camera

I'd be worried about the reliability, long term access to the Cloud Service. Also, the first two reviews on Amazon UK don't fill me with confidence:
    WARNING! I have a number of these Yi Outdoor cameras and they are not fully waterproof. I think the rain can get in from the 2 holes in the front face of the camera so it is best to seal those with sealant...

So why only 4 Stars. There is one very annoying feature. When it is raining the camera is continuously switching on and off cause by the raindrops.

Don’t use the cloud service !!! Insert an Sd card and you don’t need to pay an ongoing subscription.

I havn’t had mine long enough to see it in the winter. But I bought from Amazon snd can easily return it.

Also can’t recall seen any holes in the front ? Different model ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thing is I think Kintarō is looking for a camera with continuous video recording (CVR).

As far as I can tell from my indoor Yi camera, even with an SD card in it, it only records to the SD card when motion is detected, it isn't recording to the card 24/7 like you would get with CVR. I'm not sure if this is true or not for the sub too.

So perhaps look for another basic CCTV camera that records to SD card continuously or to the NVR.

bk wrote: »
    Thing is I think Kintarō is looking for a camera with continuous video recording (CVR).

As far as I can tell from my indoor Yi camera, even with an SD card in it, it only records to the SD card when motion is detected, it isn't recording to the card 24/7 like you would get with CVR. I'm not sure if this is true or not for the sub too.

So perhaps look for another basic CCTV camera that records to SD card continuously or to the NVR.
    You can change the setting to record continuously.

457954.png
    See the part about motion detection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

There are various subscription levels for the yi cloud. One of them is continuous recording, I was only looking at them yesterday.

Well I went and bought the Nest Outdoor. I may look into the Yi and Ring as more long term options as I'd like to add more cameras but the subscription costs for the Nest are annoying. I'm not sure what they are like on the Yi but the Ring costs are very palatable. As bk pointed out, at this moment in time I want CVR but that may dissipate in the future.

Thanks for the help ted, bk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Well I went and bought the Nest Outdoor. I may look into the Yi and Ring as more long term options as I'd like to add more cameras but the subscription costs for the Nest are annoying. I'm not sure what they are like on the Yi but the Ring costs are very palatable. As bk pointed out, at this moment in time I want CVR but that may dissipate in the future.

Motion detection storage for yi is €66 per year for up to 5 devices iirc.

SteM wrote: »
    Motion detection storage for yi is €66 per year for up to 5 devices iirc.

Just as a matter of interest, does it offer continuous video recording or just motion activated?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    You can change the setting to record continuously.
    See the part about motion detection

Dohhh....!! My brain didn't parse that option properly. I had thought it meant that it wouldn't record at all unless activated! Thanks.

You could always mix in different cameras in future for different areas and needs.

For instance the one nest camera for this CVR need, but cheap Yi Cameras elsewhere in your home where your needs are less.

I've a circle 1, a circle 2 and 2 x Yi Indoor Cameras. I don't find it too bothersome mixing cameras like this.
    Just as a matter of interest, does it offer continuous video recording or just motion activated?

It can offer both, motion activated is the cheaper option, CVR is more expensive:

https://www.yitechnology.com/homecamera/yi_cloud_euro.html#ssso

€18 per quarter per camera for 7 days CVR, so actually more expensive then the Nest you bought for CVR. Though the SD card on the Yi might be an option, now that I know the proper setting, sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a mix of four camera types too

Auctually 5

I don't really mind it, but really getting fast live data from a WiFi camera is very important

I've dropped the cannery camera as it's slow on wifi.

I use it as an air quality monitor for the time being until xiaomi map it better on the air purifier

I've 5 hikvision units on a DVR so that's my year round recording, but again I find the app to be slow

I'm not happy with the ring camera
    Very Happy with the nest camera

I've arlo in my mother's house, again it's good

I've a cheapo Anakee wired camera (on a secure NW)

For the baby's room, very fast pick up have had no need to change it,

Stoner wrote: »
    I've a mix of four camera types too

Auctually 5

I don't really mind it, but really getting fast live data from a WiFi camera is very important

I've dropped the cannery camera as it's slow on wifi.

I use it as an air quality monitor for the time being until xiaomi map it better on the air purifier

I've 5 hikvision units on a DVR so that's my year round recording, but again I find the app to be slow

I'm not happy with the ring camera
    Very Happy with the nest camera

I've arlo in my mother's house, again it's good

I've a cheapo Anakee wired camera (on a secure NW)

For the baby's room, very fast pick up have had no need to change it,

Ha, that's quite a mix. I've 3 VStarcam cameras in the house, two looking out the front windows and another used as a baby monitor. They are all grand but I wanted a camera outside to A get a better picture and B record audio. I was thinking about a Ring camera for the back garden- what don't you like about it? I know the Nest will be a good camera but I couldn't justify paying the same subscription again for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I have the Nest IQ Outdoor and I'm very happy with it, so much so that I've just added a second to the rear of my house. The picture and sound quality is superb and there's some great customisations available through the use of zones for minimising noise/false positives.

Well I got the standard outdoor camera and had it installed tonight. I'm quite amazed- the audio quality is amazing.

Can you stream the camera to a Chromecast? Things are linked but it doesn't seem to work.

Can you stream the camera to a Chromecast? Things are linked but it doesn't seem to work.

You should be able to. *

And if you have Google Home/Mini you should be able to say "Hey Google, show me camera X", very cool :D

* I don't have Nest cams myself, but the above Chromecast + GH works very well with my Logitech Circle Cameras.

bk wrote: »
    You should be able to. *

And if you have Google Home/Mini you should be able to say "Hey Google, show me camera X", very cool :D

* I don't have Nest cams myself, but the above Chromecast + GH works very well with my Logitech Circle Cameras.

Turns out there was a Chromecast listed in my devices which wasn't the one connected to my TV. Deleted that and it's working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fido_dido

Does anybody know how much would it cost to get ring outdoor camera installed? Its hard wired one.

Advertisement