Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airbnb is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• 09-08-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of friends and family are on holiday at the moment everywhere from Ireland to Romania all using Airbnb and having a great time, I would also add glamping as a great invention after a relative sent me a video of the teepee they were staying in. Air bnb will get you to places a hotel would never be, a rural lakeside beach or beside hiking trails in the mountains. We stayed in a great Airbnb in Wales that had a hot tub on the balcony overlooking a river great experience.

So Airbnb a great example of human ingenuity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mariaalice wrote: »
    Lots of friends and family are on holiday at the moment everywhere from Ireland to Romania all using Airbnb and having a great time, I would also add glamping as a great invention after a relative sent me a video of the teepee they were staying in. Air bnb will get you to places a hotel would never be, a rural lakeside beach or beside hiking trails in the mountains.

.... not if you're looking for a reasonable long-term rental in a popular city.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Air bnb is partly responsible for the high cost of rental accommodation in Dublin.

Hope you’re happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

mariaalice wrote:

If you live beside one you might have a different opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've seen some disaster stories about it on the telly. People letting out their place, only to have the 'renter' have a party and have the place smashed up. And then Air bnb don't help afterwards, using some small print in their contract to release any liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

It's grand in some ways like being a central place for stuff like holidays homes on a platform that encourages the owner to interact with customers but as others have said it creates a big problem in cities as it takes housing off the market for people actually living there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Don't agree with it being used as an unstaffed hotel in cities, but that could be managed with regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

While some of the places on it are just apartments in cities and are competing with private renters, there are some amazing places for rent on it which would never have been available to private renters on a full time basis.

I always check it out first now if i'm going somewhere. There's always something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are they having a great time because they are on holiday or because of the building their beds are in?

My bet is if they were in a normal hotel they'd be enjoying their holidays too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There will be the occasional horror story as there will about the troublesome guests in the next hotel room to you. There are some fantastic places available in the biggest cities in the world.
    In Ireland we are trying to expand the tourist industry but have not the necessary accommodation. As a result house/apartment owners are taking up the option of going the Airbnb route. In addition the tax levied on general rental income is encouraging landlords to leave the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I've seen some disaster stories about it on the telly. People letting out their place, only to have the 'renter' have a party and have the place smashed up. And then Air bnb don't help afterwards, using some small print in their contract to release any liability.

In fairness Hotel rooms get thrashed too and I doubt the Hotels have any comeback on ebookers or trip advisor or whatever platform was used to book it.

AirBnB does have a review system. The landlord does a review of you as a tenant and the only way you can see it is when you do a review of them. I think it works great, the visitor needs to be careful not to pee off the landlord or they be will be effectively blackballed from future rents and the Landlord has to be conscious of the fact that nearly every tenant will do a review. This keeps standards up on both sides I think. Also the tenant has to provide photo ID so multiple registration is made more difficult.

I used AirBnB for this years summer holidays with great trepidation. It turns out none of the photos were photo shopped and all the descriptions of location etc were spot on. I stayed in 5 different locations, all of them top notch for about €800 less than I paid for a poxy caravan in France two years ago.

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote:
    In fairness Hotel rooms get thrashed too and I doubt the Hotels have any comeback on ebookers or trip advisor or whatever platform was used to book it.

Actually if you check into a hotel they will ask for your credit card upon checkin. Trash the place and you will be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Air BNB is cancer, I would never support the c*nts.
    I have seen Barcelona being RUINED over this f*cking cancer.
    Enjoy your holiday in Barcelona while families have to move out to f*cking Sabadell ... hope you get pickpocketed ta f*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

A great example of individuals looking after themselves, at the expense of society as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

Can someone explain something to me?

5 years ago, if I wanted to turn my home into a guesthouse, I presume I'd need public liability insurance, some sort of fire safety sign off, register with Bord Failte perhaps. Perhaps even planning permission to turn my residence into a business (not sure about this one).

How come this all goes out the window with Air BnB?

Similarly, in the vast majority of the Western world, it was and is illegal for a non licenced person to hang about outside nightspots, or leaflet their locale with their mobile number offering a taxi service. Anyone operating a taxi would require the equivalent of a PSV licence, public liability insurance, a clearly marked and registered taxi, a meter conforming to industry agreed rates etc etc etc. Start up costs that probably cost an arm and a leg- they certainly do in this country.

How is it that in many countries one can run an Uber with normal insurance and a regular driving licence?

I don't understand how terms like short term rental and ride sharing can be used to describe a full time business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    Can someone explain something to me?

5 years ago, if I wanted to turn my home into a guesthouse, I presume I'd need public liability insurance, some sort of fire safety sign off, register with Bord Failte perhaps. Perhaps even planning permission to turn my residence into a business (not sure about this one).

How come this all goes out the window with Air BnB?

Similarly, in the vast majority of the Western world, it was and is illegal for a non licenced person to hang about outside nightspots, or leaflet their locale with their mobile number offering a taxi service. Anyone operating a taxi would require the equivalent of a PSV licence, public liability insurance, a clearly marked and registered taxi, a meter conforming to industry agreed rates etc etc etc. Start up costs that probably cost an arm and a leg- they certainly do in this country.

How is it that in many countries one can run an Uber with normal insurance and a regular driving licence?

I don't understand how terms like short term rental and ride sharing can be used to describe a full time business.
    Uber is causing huge issues in most cities it operates in. It doesn't operate it's normal business in the UK and I don't think they're here at all as there is regulation on carrying passengers for reward.

AirBnB was initially for letting out a bed in your house. People renting out entire premises are going against this. I know DCC are trying to clamp down on people renting an apartment on AirBnB full time. How they don't need a licence, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

Headquartered here in Ireland arent they, beside Shelbourne dog track ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wheety wrote: »
    Uber is causing huge issues in most cities it operates in. It doesn't operate it's normal business in the UK and I don't think they're here at all as there is regulation on carrying passengers for reward.

AirBnB was initially for letting out a bed in your house. People renting out entire premises are going against this. I know DCC are trying to clamp down on people renting an apartment on AirBnB full time. How they don't need a licence, I don't know.
    I used uber all the time in Sydney and it was great. There was issues with things like insurance and the taxi drivers weren't happy but it's legal now and I'd use it over a taxi every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It depends, in one way they are great, in another not so great.

I rented a place in the hills of Tuscany last month and it was fantastic, looking down on a vineyard with a view over the sea. In such cases it really is great, you have all these options in a central search directory.

However, then you have the greedy landlords in the cities that abuse it and are taking away potential homes for city dwellers. This is the negative side of it. Of course AirBnB are making money from this and will turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Full unit rentals on AirBnb need planning permission.
    But Councils just don't bother enforcing it, despite complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jester77 wrote: »
    It depends, in one way they are great, in another not so great.

I rented a place in the hills of Tuscany last month and it was fantastic, looking down on a vineyard with a view over the sea. In such cases it really is great, you have all these options in a central search directory.

However, then you have the greedy landlords in the cities that abuse it and are taking away potential homes for city dwellers.
    This is the negative side of it. Of course AirBnB are making money from this and will turn a blind eye.

But why is the landlord who does this defined as greedy ?

If I own a property and find that I can make a better income (to cover the repayments) from it, with less hassle using AirBnB than letting it out the traditional way then why shouldn't they do it.

It's a bit like saying why should a person that already has a job take on a second job for extra income to pay the mortgage and not leave it to an unemoyed person to have the second job.

You and I have no idea of the finincial situation of people who rent out using AirBnB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

trellheim wrote: »
    Headquartered here in Ireland arent they, beside Shelbourne dog track ?

Yes and looking to double their workforce in the next 5 years.

Don't expect the Government to rein them in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I used uber all the time in Sydney and it was great. There was issues with things like insurance and the taxi drivers weren't happy but it's legal now and I'd use it over a taxi every day of the week.

Uber = Competition for taxi drivers.

And we can't be having that now, can we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Does it not include a feedback function akin to eBay for example?
    Where providers can leave feedback on the lodgers?

If you were going to use it then you'd need to use your PPS/national id to prevent people making multiple accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

If I own a property and find that I can make a better income (to cover the repayments) from it, with less hassle using AirBnB than letting it out the traditional way then why shouldn't they do it.

It's a bit like saying why should a person that already has a job take on a second job for extra income to pay the mortgage and not leave it to an unemoyed person to have the second job.

You and I have no idea of the finincial situation of people who rent out using AirBnB.

No, but its income , and not sideline income for many people. Always wondered what the tax position is for many airbnb landlords, and if Revenue received RSI numbers and gross income from Airbnb what would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

It’s a well known fact that upwards of 90% of AirBnb hosts are depraved perverts that stream your nudey business on the dark web by way of hidden cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Air bnb is partly responsible for the high cost of rental accommodation in Dublin.

Hope you’re happy.

Partly as in a tiny part. There's about 300 units in Dublin, converting them back to full time rentals would be a drop in the ocean and mean less tourism money being spent in Dublin.

Hitman3000 wrote: »

We've a number in our development and as a director I'm aware of only one complaint relating to wear and tear. Noise etc. they're no worse, probably better than long term tenants.

trellheim wrote: »
    No, but its income , and not sideline income for many people. Always wondered what the tax position is for many airbnb landlords, and if Revenue received RSI numbers and gross income from Airbnb what would happen

I'm fully compliant and paying more tax than when it was a long term rental. I have heard that some people seem to have this ridiculous notion that Airbnb is not subject to tax though.

Personally I didn't see why I should let my property at 50% below market rate so went the Airbnb route once my tenants (who I was happy to keep the rental lower but not to some randomer I've never met) moved out. I'm also not taking the risk of having someone move in, not pay the rent and it take 2 years and 20K to get ride of them.

Until legilstion is brought in re Airbnb and/or legislation is brought in to deal with delinquant tenants the sector will continue to hemerage small time LL's and all your be left with is large REITs charging huge rents becuase they stuck a gym in the place in choice locations.

As for holidays, I use Airbnb and it's fecking brilliant. Ended up staying in the grounds of an old mannor house in Italy - it was amazing and relatively cheap.

It’s a well known fact that upwards of 90% of AirBnb hosts are depraved perverts that stream your nudey business on the dark web by way of hidden cameras.

Atleast 98% of us.

Airbnb's have to pay tax and can get insurance.

In Rome, Seville city's like that I would get a hotel. A city like Zadar an Airbnb.

Running an Airbnb in rural Sligo has no connection to the housing issues in Dublin the same in Rural Romania Airbnb has expanded the tourism market in a lot of areas.

Atleast 98% of us.

The other 2% haven't figured out how to turn on the equipment yet....but they will.

• Advertisement

Atleast 98% of us.

What are the other 2% doing :pac:

We've a number in our development and as a director I'm aware of only one complaint relating to wear and tear. Noise etc. they're no worse, probably better than long term tenants.

That's great, not everyone is as lucky. A friend lives in a private estate where the house he shares a party wall with has being party central several times in the last few months.

mariaalice wrote:
    What are the other 2% doing

Reading the instruction books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

My last tenant has just abandoned my apartment owing 2 months rent. Kitchen is ruined and furniture has been left behind. No forwarding address.
    And that makes me one of the lucky landlords.

I'm gonna spend 8 to 10 grand fixing it up. Then it's straight to Air BnB.

That's great, not everyone is as lucky. A friend lives in a private estate where the house he shares a party wall with has being party central several times in the last few months.

But that's down to the OMC. It can just as easily happen with long term tenants, especially students.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    My last tenant has just abandoned my apartment owing 2 months rent. Kitchen is ruined and furniture has been left behind. No forwarding address.

4K for a new kitchen
    4K for the camera set up? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

4K for a new kitchen
    4K for the camera set up? :pac:

1080p is fine. They mostly view on laptops.

One of my sisters did it for a short while, the reviews mean it has to keep to very high standards so it's going to cost to have it cleaned each turnover which costs money. The owner does have to pay tax and you need to devote time to the online bit. It's not as simple as long-term renting.

One of my sisters did it for a short while, the reviews mean it has to keep to very high standards so it's going to cost to have it cleaned each turnover which costs money. The owner does have to pay tax and you need to devote time to the online bit. It's not as simple as long-term renting.

You can pass most of the work over to an agency who don't charge that much more than a normal letting agent. Then you can use an accountant to do the tax side - all these fess being tax deductable. That said a long term rental you can do everything yourself (letting, tax etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Partly as in a tiny part. There's about 300 units in Dublin, converting them back to full time rentals would be a drop in the ocean and mean less tourism money being spent in Dublin.

Seems a rather low estimate.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/rental-home-numbers-slide-as-airbnb-hits-dublin-market-36911455.html
    Yesterday, there were 1,258 long-term rental properties available in Dublin on Daft.ie, it said. By contrast, the stock of full homes to let on Airbnb from professional listers according to website Inside Airbnb, which analyses publicly available information about a city's Airbnb's listings, stood at 1,419.

This means 53pc of the city's rental stock is effectively being targeted at short-term visitors rather than helping to resolve the capital's housing crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Airbnb is fine but it has come to the point where it needs to be regulated in Dublin where the homeless sleep in hotels and tourists sleep in homes. But I wouldnt hold my breath on it happening anytime soon because jobs, jobs, jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s a rip off any time I looked to use it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Pkiernan wrote: »

Did they pay deposit?Have good references?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It has its uses but generally its such a modern silicon valley confection.

Something that purports to sock it to large business and 'empower' people as regards on one side, micro business and the other, a convenient loosely regulated service but in the long run just has a completely deleterious effect on the population as a whole whether or not that is long term renters or residents that own a property in a complex with a heavy Airbnb presence.

I can see major crackdowns continuing on it in urban areas.

I know a friend that does it, as in they have a room in their house and put it on Airbnb. Maybe I'm just too long in the tooth but the money after tax doesn't seem worth having to share your house with random strangers and chat with endless cheapskate backpackers over your breakfast.

Each to their own, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Or if you "own" one:

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7481637/ce7b5f40/je_huis_uitlenen_aan_airbnb.html

(never mind what she said, just enjoy the pictures)

inforfun wrote: »
    Or if you "own" one:

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7481637/ce7b5f40/je_huis_uitlenen_aan_airbnb.html

(never mind what she said, just enjoy the pictures)

Bit of a mess and a broken mirror. Much better than what long term tenants do to a place if they're so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

bigpink wrote: »
    Did they pay deposit?Have good references?

Victim blaming from the far left again?

My point is that Air BnB actively financially protects both owner and guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Air BNB is cancer, I would never support the c*nts.
    I have seen Barcelona being RUINED over this f*cking cancer.
    Enjoy your holiday in Barcelona while families have to move out to f*cking Sabadell ... hope you get pickpocketed ta f*ck!

Thought I was reading recently that Spain had banned it. Maybe it was just Majorca or somewhere, Balearic Islands perhaps.

They should 100% do what they feel is best for them (the landlord) . But they should be subject to the same rules, regulations and tax as hotel or guesthouse.

Uber = Competition for taxi drivers.

And we can't be having that now, can we?

If someone set up a business the same as yours or your employers and undercut the **** out of you because they didn't have the same overheads and didn't bother with the same insurances etc, would that be OK with you?

Competition is fine, but it has to be a level playing field.

They should 100% do what they feel is best for them (the landlord) . But they should be subject to the same rules, regulations and tax as hotel or guesthouse.

Oh yes please! I'd love the reduced tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement